Beta
×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Slashdot's Disagree Mail

samzenpus posted about 6 years ago | from the unsubscribe-me dept.

Slashdot.org 426

Everyone likes to belong to something. Whether it be for fun, a sense of belonging, or a need for attention, a group gives you a feeling of solidarity. Surrounding yourself with people that share common goals and ideas can be comforting. Sometimes however, you realize that you hate the people you've surrounded yourself with. Your religion doesn't allow you to read anything that has profanity or you've subscribed to Slashdot thinking you could learn more about hockey. This week's collection is composed of people who don't want to play, read, or be associated with us anymore. Read below to find out how bad they want out.On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 ****** wrote:
"I'm relly sick of the level of discrimination that goes on here. I thought it might be different with other people who maybe didn't win everything. But its no different people won't be nice when your nice first. I try to say what others are saying and they get marked up? Not me as well? How can that be? If I'm the same how can they not act the same to me. It's like you have to be around forever before they won't say bad things about your comments. I thought it was different but they are just as BIG COCSUCKERS!!!!! Take my account and throw it away I've had enough of the newbie bigotry and FUCKING UNFAIR LIES."


Being just like everyone else is harder than you think. This next guy at least isn't concerned about being accepted. He has a clear vision of what he wants out of life. His vision is a world without profanity.

On Tue, 13 May 2008 ******* wrote:
"I try to live a good clean life by learning all I can and nurturing my body and spirit. I'm afraid that I will not be able to become part of your community as I find it sick. Sick in mind body and soul. Why your people deem it necessary to use the language that they do I can never understand. Women, children and people of faith will never be able to learn what you have to impart because of the filth you are tending in this rank garden. Please stop sending me email."


This next guy had me puzzled. I'd never had a complaint from fans of Guns-N-Roses, horror movies or unsound logging practices about the confusing "Slash" part of Slashdot.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 ******** wrote:
"I came here to learn about hockey and there is no hockey to be found. Your lucky that I didn't send you any money or we would have a big problem right now. If you don't want others to be confused to I suggest you think about changing your name to something that isn't obviously about hockey. I asked some coworkers and they agree, I'm not just some idiot. Come up with a name that means something."

cancel ×

426 comments

Sorry! There are no comments related to the filter you selected.

So Many Questions About This Section (3, Insightful)

eldavojohn (898314) | about 6 years ago | (#24891553)

What was it that prompted Slashdot to start posting its hate mail? Was someone clamoring for this? I see mild humor in it but I get a bigger kick out of watching people duke it out in ping pong comments than reading misdirected hate towards the editors.

Also, what is the expected result of our discussions of this stuff? Is it to pick it apart and analyze it? Is it to provide user generated retorts that you can't due to legal reasons? I shall try a little of both.

Is Slashdot trying to add an optional low brow element to satisfy users that have left for other sites dedicated to that? Because, you know that half of your users are going to tag this 'pleasestop' or some such negative approval tag.

Also, why does it look different than the rest of Slashdot? Isn't it just another section? Why do you need another CSS for it? I seem to think it would be better site design to have a thorough reused theme but maybe you want the reader to know it's Idle. Who knows? Sure seems to upset a lot of people.

--

"I'm relly sick of the level of discrimination that goes on here."

This level of reverence for the moderation system never ceases to amaze me. Hell, I myself can have a sour day if I'm given a thrashing on a post. This person doesn't even seem to be a regular user and they are already upset.

A very peculiar amount of power, these mod points are. Enough for someone to call a negative moderation discrimination!

--

"I try to live a good clean life by learning all I can and nurturing my body and spirit."

Despite being raised Roman Catholic for 18 years, this still baffles me. I know I'm not the first person to share this view (I think I read about it in Vonnegut's "Palm Sunday") but there is a reason I don't swear often. It's not so I can be 'clean' and 'pure' ... it's so that when I do swear, people know I'm not fucking around. Seriously, if you're dropping f-bombs left and right then where do you go when you're genuinely upset? I prefer to not raise my voice so those words are reserved for extreme moments. I feel bad for the people who incorporate them into everyday life ... how loud do you think an injured rapper would have to raise their voice before people gave them medical attention?

--

"I came here to learn about hockey and there is no hockey to be found. Your lucky that I didn't send you any money or we would have a big problem right now."

Am I the only person that had the sudden urge to register hockeydot.org and have it redirect to Slashdot?

"If you don't want others to be confused to I suggest you think about changing your name to something that isn't obviously about hockey. I asked some coworkers and they agree ..."

Are these the same coworkers that face physical abuse or verbal ridicule if they don't agree with you?

" ... I'm not just some idiot. Come up with a name that means something."

Of course you're not an idiot, you're just a hockey fan. And if <insert object here> isn't bleeding with hockey (in this case the internet), you are angered with it. I understand. I'm from Minnesota where many of your kind roam around in large herds laying waste to beer and stadiums. I would suggest moving there for solace and the ability to experience all hockey all the time.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (-1, Flamebait)

Das Modell (969371) | about 6 years ago | (#24891689)

Slashdot's moderating system is total bullshit and the admins are retards for still keeping it around. Nearly every downmodding that occurs on Slashdot is 100% invalid.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (4, Funny)

paazin (719486) | about 6 years ago | (#24891971)

Slashdot's moderating system is total bullshit and the admins are retards for still keeping it around. Nearly every downmodding that occurs on Slashdot is 100% invalid.

Including the -1 you just got? ;)

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (-1, Flamebait)

Das Modell (969371) | about 6 years ago | (#24892057)

Yes.

I'm one the few, few people on Slashdot who knows what flamebaiting and trolling actually are.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24892287)

Evidently not.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (-1, Troll)

Das Modell (969371) | about 6 years ago | (#24892333)

Yes I am. It's a fact that few people here know what those things mean.

Epimenides would be proud (3, Insightful)

spazdor (902907) | about 6 years ago | (#24892017)

This is fantastic. Your comment disproves itself!

Re:Epimenides would be proud (-1, Flamebait)

Das Modell (969371) | about 6 years ago | (#24892093)

No, it doesn't. What are you talking about?

Re:Epimenides would be proud (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24892259)

(Score:-1, Flamebait)

Re:Epimenides would be proud (-1, Troll)

Das Modell (969371) | about 6 years ago | (#24892289)

Yes, I can see that. And?

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (-1, Flamebait)

Das Modell (969371) | about 6 years ago | (#24892125)

And to prove my point, Slashdot's fearlessly stupid moderators are once again demonstrating just how fucked up the system really is.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (-1, Redundant)

Das Modell (969371) | about 6 years ago | (#24892245)

There they go again.

They're so relentlessly retarded that they actually think, in all seriousness, that downmodding me is going to prove me wrong.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (4, Interesting)

Cheeko (165493) | about 6 years ago | (#24891695)

can't tell if you're trolling, but this is just the weekly crossover from idle.slashdot.org.

Its the /. topic section for totally random waste of time nonsensical sort of things. Its late on a Friday and they feel like sharing once a week some of the random, potentially humorous mail they get.

I actually find them fairly entertaining each week.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (4, Insightful)

zappepcs (820751) | about 6 years ago | (#24892031)

They are entertaining. For awhile, I wondered about moderation and how it works here, but figured it out finally. Now, When I get modded troll or flamebait, I like to think of it as a trophy... for having offended someone enough to waste their mod point that way :)

Seeing others get angry out of confusion or just tech illiteracy does my heart good.

Reading their comments, you just know this is the guy at your local watering hole wearing the nascar hat backwards and having a great time with some light beer. (with some luck, I've just offended a few more people :))) {it's humor people}

It's fun to see that /. gets its share of normal people who do not know rm -rf from a hole in their hard drive.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (1)

Cheeko (165493) | about 6 years ago | (#24892265)

Indeed all I could think was how entertaining it would be to try to explain to the hockey guy how slashdot DOES mean something and makes a lot more sense in the context of what it actually is, than it would for hockey.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (2, Insightful)

kermit1221 (75994) | about 6 years ago | (#24891705)

"how loud do you think an injured rapper would have to raise their voice before people gave them medical attention? "

Um... Who cares?

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24891897)

If they were loud rappers, I would be happy to give them some arsenic. I'd say, that they would have this attention in about 5 seconds.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (2)

VeNoM0619 (1058216) | about 6 years ago | (#24891945)

No... It's more along the lines of... They want attention all the time, that's why they swear all the time :P I agree with GP when it comes to verbally swearing (because it's more harmful to hear than to read). Whereas online, we are already desensitized by much worse things, and I tend to swear in jokes most the time. If you are offended by reading a swear word that you have little idea of the tone used, then you have problems.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (0)

conspirator57 (1123519) | about 6 years ago | (#24891795)

it's so /.ers can pat themselves on the back variously for:

- the dramatic conclusions of our tendencies towards baseless vindictive behaviour

- pushing away people with different worldviews than the internet norm

- generally laughing at others to calm our own insecurities.

yay us. we're so mature/bigger/badder/whatever/
fill in the blank.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (1)

Tekninja_Hawk (961855) | about 6 years ago | (#24891803)

"What was it that prompted Slashdot to start posting its hate mail? Was someone clamoring for this?"

i think this is called the ol' "slow news day"

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (1)

gone.fishing (213219) | about 6 years ago | (#24891819)

Please, think of your fellow Minnesotans.

Sure, we just get rid of the Republicans and now you want us to take the hockey fans back?

All I want is a little peace and quiet. But I'm not gonna get that anyway since Monday nite there is a little football game. Those dudes are far worse than the hockey dudes even if the game is in Green Bay!

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (2, Interesting)

Sparton (1358159) | about 6 years ago | (#24891827)

I believe the reason that idle has been thrown up on the front page has to do with advertiser pressure (holy cow, look at those guys at Digg and stuff! They got craziness, why don't you?..). Just a hunch.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (1)

Teach (29386) | about 6 years ago | (#24891881)

I must confess I LOVE the horizontal threshold slider and MUCH prefer it to the usual vertical one. I can't wait until the kinks are worked out and it becomes the default. But I agree the disgruntled email is probably a lot funnier for the admins than for us.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (1)

Lobster Quadrille (965591) | about 6 years ago | (#24892115)

I didn't even notice it was there, which is a good thing.

That said, I'd rather they used vertical real estate on my nice widescreen monitors.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (4, Insightful)

olclops (591840) | about 6 years ago | (#24891935)

For what it's worth, I look forward to these disagree mails. Low brow? That's one way to see it. But on another level, I find it a useful reminder, especially in a fairly-like-minded community like this, that much of the world thinks far differently than I do.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24892007)

First you complain about the motivation behind posting these emails, and then you go on an make some fairly insightful comments one of them. Which is it going to be?

I'm following the money... (1)

hellfire (86129) | about 6 years ago | (#24892061)

What was it that prompted Slashdot to start posting its hate mail? Was someone clamoring for this?

I can only guess that posting stuff like this which causes a flurry of messages proclaiming it's stupidity is merely the result of slashdot trying to get more eyeballs on advertisements.

I come to that conclusion by process of elimination because there is no other intelligent reason for this.

I mean c'mon! Okay you post duplicate articles, you don't read summaries, and you once let JonKatz sully this site. But cmon! Do you really have any journalistic integrity? If you want to post letters from users, post constructive letters and have a discussion about them, rather than post flamebait.

The entire "idle" section is horrible, it's not even entertaining. To top it all off, Idle's layout is ugly, and when I post a comment, the comment field is 2 inches wide in the latest version of firefox! Why do I want to see anything here?

Kill Idle and bury it. For all of those who agree with me, I suggest you go to your preferences and set your content for the Idle section to "none." I'll be blocking the entire section because it seems to be the only way to get thru to the slashdot editors that crap should not be tolerated. This is because if you block the article, you block the ad that comes with it, and that hits home in the pocketbook. Follow the money...

Re:I'm following the money... (2, Insightful)

Lobster Quadrille (965591) | about 6 years ago | (#24892191)

I come to that conclusion by process of elimination because there is no other intelligent reason for this

Yeah, because nobody else in the geek community ever [thebestpag...iverse.net] posts their hate mail [thepiratebay.org] .

It's funny, entertaining, and it's on idle. Get over it.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (0)

UltraAyla (828879) | about 6 years ago | (#24892179)

Thank you for finally posting what I consider to be valid criticism of the Idle section. Every other criticism is just general whining, but I generally agree with what you are saying and think it is constructive.

Re:So Many Questions About This Section (4, Funny)

ChrisKnight (16039) | about 6 years ago | (#24892247)

"Am I the only person that had the sudden urge to register hockeydot.org and have it redirect to Slashdot?"

Registered. I'll have it redirecting to this story shortly.

-Chris

The Dunning-Kruger Effect (1, Interesting)

D Ninja (825055) | about 6 years ago | (#24891611)

I suggest you think about changing your name to something that isn't obviously about hockey. I asked some coworkers and they agree, I'm not just some idiot.

This made me laugh out loud. Funny how stupid people always think they're smarter than they are [wikipedia.org] .

Re:The Dunning-Kruger Effect (3, Funny)

Anne_Nonymous (313852) | about 6 years ago | (#24891903)

>> Funny how stupid people always think they're smarter than they are.

Oh yeah? Well I suggest you think about changing your name to something that isn't obviously about ninjas.

Re:The Dunning-Kruger Effect (2, Insightful)

digitalhermit (113459) | about 6 years ago | (#24891929)

There's another effect that's quite similar: People over-estimate mediocre skills in others when they don't possess that skill. For example, I am, at best, an average math student by most standards. However, some people think I'm mathematically gifted because I can explain a linear equation.

Then there's the effect where people assume someone is smart because they agree on some irrelevant point. For example, say I oppose the (current incarnation) of the death penalty. Others think I'm smart because they oppose the death penalty. However, my argument may be based on the fairness of the punishment (i.e., not carried out equally to all violators) whereas their argument may be religiously based (thou shalt not kill). Politicians exploit this quite often. "I am a , therefore I am a good choice for this office."

Re:The Dunning-Kruger Effect (1)

Belial6 (794905) | about 6 years ago | (#24892067)

That link is a riot. A 'study' that tries to rank in a 'scientific' way how funny someone is, and thus prove that people who think they know things, really don't.

It's hard to tell if the irony is intended or not.

Re:The Dunning-Kruger Effect (1)

JoshuaZ (1134087) | about 6 years ago | (#24892081)

Thanks! I've been trying to remember the name of that effect for months now.

Re:The Dunning-Kruger Effect (3, Interesting)

bonehead (6382) | about 6 years ago | (#24892305)

Not being a hockey fan, I guess I'm in need of some education. Just exactly how is the name slashdot "obviously about hockey"?

LOL (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24891645)

I don't care what you faggots say.

idle.slashdot.org is awesome.

Re:LOL (2, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24892281)

It's as if all of Digg reached out and touched slashdot in this post. It makes me hurt

idle (2, Insightful)

qoncept (599709) | about 6 years ago | (#24891671)

It blows my mind you're still posting this garbage on slashdot. Listen to your users.

Re:idle (1, Funny)

qoncept (599709) | about 6 years ago | (#24891727)

And someone modded me down like they weren't thinking the same thing. HEH!

Re:idle (5, Funny)

Hal_Porter (817932) | about 6 years ago | (#24891821)

Maybe you should write slashdot an email to complain.

Re:idle (1)

The End Of Days (1243248) | about 6 years ago | (#24891871)

If only you represented anything more than your own self, people might listen to you on such topics. Alas, you are but one person in a vast wasteland of opinions, many of which are (this is the important part) nothing like your own.

Re:idle (5, Insightful)

TheGeniusIsOut (1282110) | about 6 years ago | (#24891837)

It blows my mind that people complain about something tagged as a complete waste of time and you should never go there being a complete waste of time but still going there...

Re:idle (3, Insightful)

Lobster Quadrille (965591) | about 6 years ago | (#24891887)

Yes, listen to your users.

I find idle to be an aptly named entertaining time-waster.

Please count me as a vote to keep it, in all its green-backgrounded, hate-mail-filled glory.

Re:idle (4, Informative)

SatanicPuppy (611928) | about 6 years ago | (#24892111)

I likes it as well...All work and no play makes for a dull day. I wish all the goddamn whiners would learn to use the goddamn preferences if they don't want to see it.

HERE is the LINK [slashdot.org] you whiny bastards...Scroll down to "idle" and put the little dot in the little radio box under the universal circle/slash that means DO NOT WANT.

Re:idle (1)

Joe Snipe (224958) | about 6 years ago | (#24892121)

Yes, listen to your users and keep posting this.

Slashot? Hockey? (1)

McGuirk (1189283) | about 6 years ago | (#24891715)

Will somebody explain to me why the hockey guy thought slashdot had anything to do with hockey? Maybe I'm just a sports-illiterate nerd, but I don't see the connection.

Re:Slashot? Hockey? (1)

Captain Spam (66120) | about 6 years ago | (#24891805)

"Slashing" is one of a wide variety of penalties in the sport of ice hockey. And...

um...

It's... in the name, "Slashdot"? That's... that's all I got. I mean, I can describe slashing (by law, all Detroit-area natives are required to study hockey), I can tell you it's more often than not a two-minute minor unless blood is drawn, but as to how anyone could possibly associate that with Slashdot is beyond me. We can at least be glad he didn't send any money to the site, else we would have a big problem right now.

Re:Slashot? Hockey? (1)

SlashDotDotDot (1356809) | about 6 years ago | (#24892195)

The characters /. look vaguely like an ascii art rendition of a hockey stick and puck. Maybe that's what he meant.

Re:Slashot? Hockey? (1)

danking (1201931) | about 6 years ago | (#24891843)

Will somebody explain to me why the hockey guy thought slashdot had anything to do with hockey? Maybe I'm just a sports-illiterate nerd, but I don't see the connection.

A slash is an infraction in hockey that can result in a penalty. I guess that is the only use of the term he knows.

Re:Slashot? Hockey? (4, Informative)

abigor (540274) | about 6 years ago | (#24891847)

To slash someone in hockey means to strike them with the blade of your stick, usually the lower legs. If the ref sees you do it, it's a two minute minor penalty.

Re:Slashot? Hockey? (1)

Xtravar (725372) | about 6 years ago | (#24892193)

And what, pray tell, does 'dot' mean in hockey language? :)

Re:Slashot? Hockey? (5, Funny)

Strange Ranger (454494) | about 6 years ago | (#24892283)

I'm sure the guy was equally pissed that digg.com is not about shovels and holes.

And The Onion. Don't even get him started on The Onion.

Re:Slashot? Hockey? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24891891)

Actually, I was thinking conflation of slashing, and the term 'slapshot', which is auditorily similar to 'slashdot'...
*shrug*. Could also be just a fuckin' loonie like writer # 1 :)

Re:Slashot? Hockey? (1)

Programmer_In_Traini (566499) | about 6 years ago | (#24891947)

Slashdot / Slapshot ... there's why

Re:Slashot? Hockey? (5, Funny)

HTH NE1 (675604) | about 6 years ago | (#24892145)

Perhaps he should try underscoreslashdot.org ( "_/." ).

Re:Slashot? Hockey? (1)

Bill, Shooter of Bul (629286) | about 6 years ago | (#24892151)

I was thinking pictorially. Take a look a the icon. /.

If you squint a bit it looks like the edge of a hockey blade (the /) hitting a puck ( the . ).

Re:Slashot? Hockey? (1)

blackjackshellac (849713) | about 6 years ago | (#24892295)

I'm canadian, and I started playing hockey when I was 4 year old, and I can tell you I'm just as dumbfounded as you. I think it might ahve to do with the penalty that results from slashing someone with one's stick, how the dot figures into it I just don't know. Maybe it's a troll.

Is idle growing on me??? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24891719)

No, but disagree mail is. This crap is actually kinda funny. But the rest of idle is pants!

Well hell... (1)

Deadstick (535032) | about 6 years ago | (#24891733)

...mod Mr. Hockey +5 Informative. I had no idea there was slashing in hockey. Do they use, like, kendo swords or something?

rj

Re:Well hell... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24891933)

Unless you consider a wooden stick with a blade on the end a kendo sword then yes they do use kendo swords.

Clearly you have not seen Slap Shot, which had a complete demonstration of all the major penalties and infractions that someone can commit.

Re:Well hell... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24892049)

wooden??? where have u been? metal FTW

This Rank Garden (3, Funny)

Ngarrang (1023425) | about 6 years ago | (#24891753)

"Women, children and people of faith will never be able to learn what you have to impart because of the filth you are tending in this rank garden."

What? Hold the horses, here! There is something to be learned from Slashdot? And here I thought it was a place for over-opinionated (and often bored) tech folks committing the equivalent of mental masturbation.

Re:This Rank Garden (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24891989)

More usually mental S&M IME.

Re:This Rank Garden (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24892083)

I learned how stick a hockey puck in my girlfriends ass from Slashdot. Good thing she isn't a fucking Christian!

 

Re:This Rank Garden (1)

nsayer (86181) | about 6 years ago | (#24892159)

If you're commenting here, you could not possibly have a girlfriend.

Re:This Rank Garden (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24892277)

^^^ So you have indicated that you, in fact, do NOT have a girlfriend? hahaha

Re:This Rank Garden (1)

Xtifr (1323) | about 6 years ago | (#24892279)

"There is something to be learned from Slashdot?"

Depends. I let my niece read it, and in just a few hours she learned a bunch of new words. :)

Re:This Rank Garden (1)

PainKilleR-CE (597083) | about 6 years ago | (#24892313)

and who let the women and children in? They're supposed to be on the ark waiting for the flood, damnit

Re: Sens sign Isbister for 1-Year contract (1)

Stavr0 (35032) | about 6 years ago | (#24891761)

He did a pretty good job last year for the Canucks. I think he's a good pick for the Sens.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 ******** wrote:
If you don't want others to be confused to I suggest you think about changing your name to something that isn't obviously about hockey.

Sheesh. What's problem...?

It's true, the stuff about the a-holes here (1)

AssTard (684911) | about 6 years ago | (#24891767)

SErious, got some elitist snob a-holes here. Oh look at me, Windows is suxors, ha aren't I clevar!!!!!! tee hee Anyhow I enjoy visiting to giggle at the wankerage. Giggle, or titter. Either one.

Re:It's true, the stuff about the a-holes here (1)

VeNoM0619 (1058216) | about 6 years ago | (#24892075)

Before you complain about being modded down, let me just say something.

It isn't about "I'm so clever" it's about courtesy and polite for getting modded into oblivion. Ask 1 of the twitters who lashes out randomly with racism and you'll know why he gets modded that way regardless of what he says.

Some people only "joke" about being smart. It's a certain type of humor you may or may not understand. But as far as us thinking we are better than you (or anyone else). It's nothing like that 99% of the time.

So please, have a nice day, and smile champ.

nod and nix? (1)

PhilHibbs (4537) | about 6 years ago | (#24891769)

wtf?

Re:nod and nix? (1)

Captain Spam (66120) | about 6 years ago | (#24892003)

Obviously, this post was approved by both the Brotherhood of NOD and various *nix users (* can't be used in a tag, you see). All we need now is an article with gdi and bsd tags, and we'll have teams for a round of Command and Compile.

our plea (1)

Joe the Lesser (533425) | about 6 years ago | (#24891773)

I try to live a bad dirty life by not reading any articles and poisoning my body and spirit. I'm afraid that I do not want you to be a part of of this community as I find you healthy. Healthy in mind body and soul. Why you deem it necessary to not use language that we do I can never understand. Geeks, nerds, and dweebs will never be able to learn what you impart because of the impeccable cleanliness of your flowery garden. Please stop receiving our email.

"...people of faith will never be able to learn.." (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24891775)

You got THAT right.

Three frickin' emails!? (3, Funny)

GameboyRMH (1153867) | about 6 years ago | (#24891781)

Am I seeing this right!? I don't have a problem with the idle section, but this isn't even worthy of an Idle thread.

Holy Crap!@! (1)

Bobfrankly1 (1043848) | about 6 years ago | (#24891791)

That guy is right!! One month before hockey season opens, and there's not a single thought to be had about it here!!! Thats it! I'm going home and I'm taking my puck with me!!!

I can answer one of your questions. (5, Funny)

RandoX (828285) | about 6 years ago | (#24891799)

Why your people deem it necessary to use the language that they do I can never understand
 
We're a VB.Net shop. The language was forced upon us. We don't like it any more than you do. Sorry.

Re:I can answer one of your questions. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24892261)

That was Hillarious! Nice wordplay!

Karma=Bad (1)

arizwebfoot (1228544) | about 6 years ago | (#24891861)

Now that my karma is bad - for the first time - I've got nothing to lose.

The modders must be high on something strong . . . like . . . over sugar'd kool-aid . . .

I've had a rash of being modded down and now I'm a baaaad boy.

Wonder what my mum would say.


Karma is like a VW - small, it floats, and is outdated - though attractive.

Re:Karma=Bad (1)

religious freak (1005821) | about 6 years ago | (#24891977)

Yes, you do... you can have terrible karma where you post at -1. No one comes back from that, it's like you're dead to the rest of /. You inhabit the world of shit eaters and racist bigots (who probably play lots of hockey).

Re:Karma=Bad (1)

goofyspouse (817551) | about 6 years ago | (#24892137)

shit eaters and racist bigots

I'll admit it...I LOLed.

Stop It (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24891867)

Stop trying to be Digg. Seriously. Slashdot is supposed to be uber geeky and you guys are steadily letting non geek stuff slip through, and adding unnecessary features in order to keep up with.. what, the mainstream? This post isn't even funny. Why add useless features like the idle section? Doesn't that go against everything we stand for?

Damn.

My prediction (2, Interesting)

OzPeter (195038) | about 6 years ago | (#24891875)

Sometime soon this section will die a slow death, but the stinking corpse will still lay around for all to see. Kinda like Slashback or those regular friendly fireside chats Cmdr Taco started (and then stopped) all those years ago.

The Profanity Guy (2, Insightful)

TheModelEskimo (968202) | about 6 years ago | (#24891893)

It's sad to me that someone like the profanity guy just doesn't have a clue about the emailing mechanism (if he is indeed seeing emailed articles). I support people in their right to really find their own niche on the web; it's just too bad that many of them will never find it because the curve is too steep. Those of us who are happy to use Slashdot have already found our own ways of blocking trash we don't like, but many people are forced to wade through LOTS of stuff that they don't want to see as part of their normal web-surfing experience.

So, I totally sympathize with him, even though it's obvious his email is misdirected.

Re:The Profanity Guy (1)

Xtravar (725372) | about 6 years ago | (#24892249)

I was wondering if he got some of that spam that hijacks peoples' email addresses. That's the only way his message would make half-sense: if he got spam for viagra or porn forged from a slashdot.org address.

Please Stop (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24891911)

Idle is pants.

I disagree (*urgent*) (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24891999)

Theregister.co.uk has an alternative google chrome comic which is notably funnier.

Everybody understands the google hype engine. Is slashdot afraid of the giant that lives inside the matchbox?

Slashdot: What's in a name? (1)

starglider29a (719559) | about 6 years ago | (#24892025)

Among the many anagrams for Slashdot are these gems:
  1. Ad Sloths
  2. Had Slots
  3. Dash Lost
  4. Lad Hosts
  5. Lad Shots
  6. ADSL Hots
  7. Lads Shot
  8. Sad Sloth
  9. Tad Slosh
  10. Halts Dos
  11. Has Dolts
  12. Old Stash
  13. Sold Shat
  14. Lass Doth (not)
  15. Last Dohs

If you include "news for nerds stuff that matters" the first 1000 include "salamanders"

wait.. (2, Funny)

nimbius (983462) | about 6 years ago | (#24892045)

my garden is dirty? i dont follow. is this some soviet code for "please stop using the word shitcock so many times"?

i wouldnt exactly call what i impart 'wisdom' either...

Weak faith (4, Funny)

AioKits (1235070) | about 6 years ago | (#24892047)

All I can say is that if your faith is shaken by if someone says fuck (or other profanity of choice) or not, it must be some pretty weak faith.

On that note: Cock!

Re:Weak faith (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24892257)

All I can say is that if your faith is shaken by if someone says fuck (or other profanity of choice) or not, it must be some pretty weak faith.

On that note: Cock!

Am I the only person who, after reading this, thought that George Carlin would have loved that line?

I've got a gripe. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24892085)

Anonymous posters are treated as second class citizens. This is inconsistent with the pro-reason and pro-privacy atmosphere on Slashdot where appeals to authority are (rightly) called out and arguments (rightly) stand on their merits irrespective of the poster's identity. This is especially irritating when both the fervent pro-privacy, pro-free-speech advocate and the anti-anonymous snob are one and the same person.

Also, cocks.

Re:I've got a gripe. (1)

tekiegreg (674773) | about 6 years ago | (#24892227)

And ya know what? I personally give AC's the benefit of the doubt and have my personal preferences set to give them +1.

That's a mixed bag really, IMHO I get 30% more informative/insightful/interesting/funny stuff I might not otherwise get, but I get 70% more crap. Sometimes I debate changing it back but never did...

Re:I've got a gripe. (1)

nsayer (86181) | about 6 years ago | (#24892233)

Anonymous posters are treated as second class citizens

No they're not. They're treated as average. Non-anonymous posters have a history that can be consulted to give them above- or below-average starting visibility. If you consistently post down-modded stuff, your posts will command less attention than AC posts.

I know I can customize (1)

gorrepati (866378) | about 6 years ago | (#24892197)

But man, that green color in editor's post hurt my eyes. I have to blink for a moment to switch back to code. This is my hatemail. Take that, slashdot. :)

lol (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24892207)

i came here looking for information about hashpots but YR LUCKY I DIDN'T SEND YOU MONEY.

I've had it, too (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 6 years ago | (#24892291)

Sign me for this. Please completely disable my account.

Signed
Anonymous

These posts... (1)

mecenday (1080691) | about 6 years ago | (#24892301)

... are a ploy to get more people to sign up for accounts so that they can block idle content from the main page.

Load More Comments
Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>