Beta

×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Pirate Bay Founders Lose Final Appeal

samzenpus posted more than 2 years ago | from the end-of-the-line dept.

Crime 307

therufus writes "Sweden's Supreme Court announced its decision not to grant leave to appeal in the long-running Pirate Bay criminal trial. This means that the previously determined jail sentences and fines handed out to Peter Sunde, Fredrik Neij, Gottfrid Svartholm and Carl Lundström will stand."

cancel ×

307 comments

Sorry! There are no comments related to the filter you selected.

Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897381)

Gee, I wonder what the reactions on Slashdot will be. I can only guess.

Once again, we must suffer through another pro-piracy story. On Slashdot, piracy is awesome and copyright is evil, yet GPL theft is a terrible thing. GPL code must be protected because it's free shit, yet copyright must also be abolished so we can get free shit--even though the GPL is a copyright license! And don't you dare copy Slashdot's content on another site--few here seem to remember that Slashdot once sent a cease-and-desist letter! And does anyone remember when Slashdot pulled its Spider-Man 2 review [slashdot.org] because of plagiarism?

The only respectable pirates are the ones who freely admit that they do it because they want shit for free. Slashdot, however, invents convoluted moral platitudes to justify it. You are stealing from artists who created content. You use the "MAFIAA" as a scapegoat so you don't feel guilty about it. Nothing more.

No system can work in which nobody gets compensated for their work. Simply because a distribution channel opened up that made it easy to pirate things doesn't magically make it okay. The "obsolete business model" argument isn't even valid anymore because we already have things like Netflix, Steam, iTunes, etc.

It's almost as if people think the fact they can download Linux for free means everything should be free. The point of OSS is to give back, not to leech. You're not contributing anything back when you pirate something. You're only making sure that whoever made it doesn't get paid for their work, and if it was sold through a record label or something, that corporation will be less likely to take a chance on artists like that because they don't see a return on their investment. Way to go.

This is guaranteed to get modded down because it's anti-piracy. You cannot express an anti-piracy position on Slashdot. You must be pro-piracy, or you will be censored. This place is one of the most one-sided, self-serving communities on the internet.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (2, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897481)

Dear MPAA/RIAA drone,

You are cordially invited to lick my taint while working the shaft with one hand and the balls with the other.

--Slashdot Community

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (-1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897507)

Way to prove GP right.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (3, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897981)

Way to fall for his reverse psychology. I guess because he accused us of being biased we should all turn an about face and donate money to Chris Dodd's presidential campaign.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (-1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898347)

I guess because he accused us of being biased we should all turn an about face and donate money to Chris Dodd's presidential campaign.

Frankly, I almost feel like I should, simply because I don't want to be associated with the people in the story about the petition posted earlier who are completely ignorant of how their own government works (the President cannot and should not have the power to order investigations) and are crying for revolution because...the President didn't order an investigation.

These people so worried about facism apparently don't have the brains to figure out that a President capable of ordering investigations for people they don't like would also have the power to order investigations he doesn't like.

Really, it's disheartening and disgusting to see what riled-up tools most Slashdotters - and the Internet at large - are/is. If this is the future, the future is tyrannical mob rule.

And frankly, I'd rather have a system 10x more corrupt than the rule of the delusional internet crazies who think that millions of people should die rather than it being slightly easier for the government to take down TPB.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (-1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897523)

Laugh now but as things are going it'll be the pirates who are smoking dicks soon. In prison.
 
I hope smug little turds like you get the AIDS rape. It'd serve you right.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897685)

So bitter. So venomous. Is that you, Chris Dodd? YAR! HAR! HAR!

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (4, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897489)

This is guaranteed to get modded down because it's anti-piracy.

No, it should get modded down because its a canned response from fucking Mafiaa shill.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (-1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897499)

F.U.C.K. Y.O.U.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897503)

Strawman arguments are lies.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (5, Insightful)

forkfail (228161) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897553)

Simple black and white worldview horseshit.

There are more libertarians here than there are at a Tea Party rally. And while there are folks here who without a doubt pirate because they're cheap and build rationalizations around it, there's an awful lot more who wouldn't dream of stealing.

It's not about getting free beer, it's about freedom of ideas and expression. And it's about draconian, unworkable solutions that will only stifle freedom of expression, innovation and open communication without censorship.

Techniques like dns blocking, holding a repository site responsible for every single client's actions, enforcing search engine censorship simply won't stop piracy. But it will build a framework to further stifle freedom of expression on the web, and to enhance mega corporation and government control.

You are attempting to paint those who are for an open internet in simplistic black and white terms, to impose a simpleton's view on others.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0, Redundant)

smelch (1988698) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897619)

Putting the pirate bay founders in jail is not based on locking down/censoring the internet any more than arresting the guy on the street selling bootlegs is. Being anti-piracy does not mean pro-SOPA. Monitoring "every single" thing on every site is impossible, but the Pirate Bay is named the Pirate Bay and there is a lot of evidence besides that indicating they encouraged and new about rampant copyright infringement. Black and white worldview indeed.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (5, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897809)

The Pirate Bay is a search engine. I remember a time when that wasn't illegal.

Don't be surprised to see this bullshit come to more popular search engines. Hell, Google pulls search results because of DMCA notices -- who knows why -- and there's already a push from the content industries for search engines to "promote" "valid" sources of content over "invalid" sources.

Lawyers are the worst thing to happen to the Internet.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (5, Interesting)

SplashMyBandit (1543257) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897915)

> Monitoring "every single" thing on every site is impossible
How wrong you are. I suggest you read up about "Lawful Intercept" (which is as backward a term as you can get). The US Feds (FBI,NSA) can watch the world's traffic in real-time thanks to trade laws they have that require friendly non-US countries to install Lawful Intercept gear in their ISPs. The data is then squirreled away in their colossal data farms. What used to be impossible now is completely possible. Plus, many first world countries store the IP traffic that passes their borders. It wouldn't surprise me if this was shared (in the same way signal intelligence is shared via the ECHELON network). Do some Googling about those keywords I've mentioned. Oh, yeah, and welcome to 1984 for real.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (4, Informative)

BasilBrush (643681) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898037)

The US Feds (FBI,NSA) can watch the world's traffic in real-time thanks to trade laws they have that require friendly non-US countries to install Lawful Intercept gear in their ISPs. The data is then squirreled away in their colossal data farms.

Would you care to estimate what the world's internet traffic amounts to, per day.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898367)

Would you care to estimate what the world's internet traffic amounts to, per day.

One strawberry.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898413)

This. And add SSL to the mix as well...

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (2, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897999)

You know, there are places in the world where copyright infringement for personal use is perfectly legal and explicitly guaranteed in law. So, chastising the folks from the pirate bay for doing stuff which is quite legal in most of the world is not a good way to try to demonstrate your worldly knowledge.

And moreover, the only reason there is this hissy fit due to copyright is due to the US's pressure on the world to pass legislature which forces a perfectly legal, acceptable and even desirable act, particularly to copyright holders, to become illegal, all this without providing any shred of reasoning to back it up. Well, at least if you don't count blackmail as reasoning.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (4, Insightful)

chrismcb (983081) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897627)

And while there are folks here who without a doubt pirate because they're cheap and build rationalizations around it, there's an awful lot more who wouldn't dream of stealing.

It's not about getting free beer, it's about freedom of ideas and expression.

I consider myself a Libertarian, and yes I make a living because of copyright. I also think that 100+ years is too long, I also think that piracy is rampant. A LOT of people don't realize it is wrong.

But the general feeling I get from the average slashdotter is "copyright is evil because I want free stuff." I hear time and again how the publishers are screwing the creators, or the general public, so the slashdotter is going to stick it to the man and copy the item anyways. Or the price is too high, so they will copy it. As long as they get their tv and music and games for free.

I think that things like SOPA are bad. But not that copyright should be abolished. I also think there are a lot of people here who thing they way you think in that it is a matter of principle. BUT the noisiest argument tends to "I want my shit for free" Of course these people then call the "mafiaa" greedy

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (5, Insightful)

niado (1650369) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897845)

A LOT of people don't realize it is wrong.

Correction: A lot of people do not believe that it is wrong. This is the case despite the fact that we have experienced 20+ years of propaganda intended to convince us that violating copyright is exactly the same as physical property theft (e.g. "You wouldn't steal a car, would you??").

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (3, Insightful)

janimal (172428) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898157)

I'll bite.

If you want to play the car analogy, it can't be about stealing the car. Pirating software diminishes the value of the work to the author, so to do a proper car analogy, you would need to do something to the car that diminishes its value to its owner, while not actually taking anything physical away.

One example is keying the car. I can be an ass by taking a key, pressing it against the side of the car and walking along, minding my own business. After I'm done, the car is still driveable, it gets the owner from point A to point B just fine, none of the performance characteristics are diminished and I'm all the happier for having revelled in the screeching noise I got to make. Did I physically steal the car or any piece of it? No. Was I within my rights then?

A second example is taking the car for a joyride, but taking care not to demolish it. After the joyride I respectfully return it to the place I stole it from before the driver gets back. Now, the driver still has his/her car, there are just a few miles on it... I'm all the happier for having driven it without having to buy. Was I within my rights? I didn't *steal* it after all, did I?

So no, pirating isn't stealing in the common sense, but it is taking something of value from the owner. How do you quantify that? Well, if the owner gets a lawyer after you, they'll try to make it into the most horrendous theft of property and argue that the car is almost worthless after your escapade. That's what lawyers do, they try to extract the maximum that the law allows for their client. I will be the first to argue that the owner cannot argue any more damages and loss of revenue than the car's resale value (actually, just a fraction of it), but I will not stand up for you if the court decides you need to do some time and neither should anyone else.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (2)

Algae_94 (2017070) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898329)

This is a bit of a whoosh.

The "You wouldn't steal a car, would you?" line is directly from anti piracy clips included on many DVDs and possibly back on VHS tapes.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (2)

tukang (1209392) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898341)

If I have a copy of Word and I give a copy to my friend, how does that diminish the value of my copy? It doesn't. It may diminish the value to the author of Word, if he's trying to sell it, but not to me. Who's the "owner" of software? The license owner? The author? And that's the problem with physical analogies - they don't work because of one fundamental difference: you can not make physical copies at virtually no cost. If at some point in the future some genius invents a device that allows us to make copies of things for free, I would support people's right to do just that.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (5, Interesting)

evilRhino (638506) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897879)

Copyright is evil because it puts a monopoly on culture. I'll argue that if older material were released to the public domain as the founders intended, there would be more than enough free material to bring down piracy on newer creations. People pirate the new stuff because the old stuff has been out of print for so long (which benefits no one), they've forgotten about it. Put it in the public domain rather than let it gather dust.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (5, Insightful)

ScrewMaster (602015) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897923)

Of course these people then call the "mafiaa" greedy

Ah ... excuse me, but they are greedy, to an extent that makes British Petroleum look positively philanthropic. The feeling I get from most Slashdotters is far more balanced than you are trying to portray: getting things for free is irrelevant. Being able to communicate and use the Internet as we see fit is of paramount importance, and keeping the media companies and governments in their place is necessary in order to do that. I'm a software engineer, and I make my living via copyrights and patents as well ... yet I recognize that the needs of the copyright industry should not be placed above all else.

Frankly, entertainment is just not that important in the overall scheme of things, in spite of the megalomaniacal mental state that seems to permeate that industry. You may find this hard to believe, but the Internet is actually used for other things than copyright infringement (that's the correct term under U.S. law, you know: "piracy" is reserved for those who commit infringement for profit.) But PIRACY just sounds so much nastier, doesn't it? Evokes images of swashbuckling, one-eyed peg-legged types murdering and raping and pillaging and all that. It's just cartel PR, though.

What I would hope you would do, before commenting upon this subject any further, is research the history of the content industry (all of it, books and print media, music, and motion pictures.) What you will soon discover, if you're sufficiently intellectually honest, are organizations who need to be opposed, at all levels, out of simple self-preservation. This is not about free stuff. This is about having any stuff. Yes, it's that serious.

Keep in mind that the Internet, to the content cartels, is just another annoying technology to be opposed, limited, neutered, and if possible eliminated. Cassette tape, VHS, writeable DVDs and CDs, Digital Audio Tape, you-name-it ... they tried to make it illegal. In fact, anything that they perceive as a threat to their hegemony, their iron-fisted control of content distribution, is to be eliminated regardless of cost, and regardless of who gets hurt.

So get it out of your head that this is about free copies. It's not. It never has been. It's about whether the greatest invention in human history will be continue to be used for the good of all ... or a few rich sociopaths with all the vision and foresight of a toadstool.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Pieroxy (222434) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897749)

More simple than that, it's not about piracy being good or bad, but about piracy being inevitable.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

Caerdwyn (829058) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898003)

It's also inevitable that people will lie to you, but that won't stop them from being punished when they're caught doing it.

The fact that it's easy to pirate software and media doesn't make it right to pirate software and media, and no amount of rationalization or twisted logic will make downloading a cracked copy of Battelfield 3 a "courageous stand against corporate greed". It's all about cheap entitlement-babies who think that they should be able to take anything that isn't somehow nailed down for free. It's not about culture, it's about online shoplifting.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898415)

You neglect that some jurisdictions have ruled that downloading copyrighted content for personal use is not illegal. Of course, somehow it becomes legitimately illegal once the U.S. government economically blackmails my country into passing legislation that over rides our prior court rulings.. Please do not assign your simple, binary worldview to the rest us. Frankly, to be equated with your stupidity is insulting.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (5, Insightful)

MobileTatsu-NJG (946591) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897555)

GPL code must be protected because it's free shit, yet copyright must also be abolished so we can get free shit--even though the GPL is a copyright license!

Result of GPL enforcement: More work available to the public.

Result of shortening copyright: More work available to the public.

Do you understand now or do you still have some homework to do?

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (-1, Troll)

Pieroxy (222434) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897735)

Dude, as much as I agree with you, you shouldn't have been on this ground, because your argument is just wrong.

If you shorten copyrights, it also means less GPL work available to the public.

I guess the homework is on you: basic logic 101.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

fluffybacon (696495) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897843)

Wouldn't the work copyrighted under the GPL just fall into the public domain?

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898207)

If you shorten copyrights, it also means less GPL work available to the public.

I guess the homework is on you: basic logic 101.

I'm sorry, bot you need to get to your "basic logic 100" first. Shortened copyright simply means more work in public domain, initially GPL or not.

Secondly, for 30-year copyright or 50-year copyright, who the fuck cares if Linux 2.0 loses their copyright protection in 2052??

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898359)

True, the GPL makes guarantees that would be gone without copyright, but that's a side-effect. See history of copyleft [wikipedia.org] (err... there's probably better references but I don't know them off the top of my head). Basically, RMS's preferred fix would be to eliminate copyright, but in the absence of being able to do that, he devised the GPL.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

stuckinarut (891702) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897795)

Result of GPL enforcement: More work available to the public.

Result of shortening copyright: More work available to the public.

The difficulty is the big studios don't want this otherwise there will be plenty of entertainment experiences for us all to enjoy without paying our tithe to them. To keep making money, churning out the same experiences over and over, the old experiences need to be as hard to access as possible.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (5, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897563)

You are stealing from artists who created content.

So what if i download some Michael Jackson or John Lennon music or how about the game L.A Noire. Am i hurting the artists who are dead or the game studio which is shut , where is the harm to the artist here ?

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897589)

If I die, does that mean you can come to my house and take my stuff?

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (5, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897615)

If I die should my job still pay me?

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897681)

If I die, will I go to heaven?

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (-1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897899)

If I die, will I get raped by a pack of niggers?

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

MobileTatsu-NJG (946591) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897793)

You'd rather your job reap all the benefits of your contribution than have your family get it? More power to corps, smart.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (5, Insightful)

Sir_Sri (199544) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897807)

For your hours worked, yes. If I die feb 27th I expect my employer to pay my estate for all of the wages I earned to that point, and if I am due monies later for the work done in that period (say the contract isn't paid until june) my estate would still get paid for my portion of the work.

If my estate, which at that point is transfered to someone else (who may have legally paid for my services such that my work was work for hire for them) they may continue to be paid for that work even though I'm long since dead. My work is also never entirely my own. Michael Jackson and John Lennon are good examples. If they had gotten divorces rather than died they would still be obliged to pay child support and alimony up until today. Michael jackson was not the only person who contributed to his music. All of his investors, his spouse(s), other employees etc. He is credited with having been the guy on stage, but for him to be there hundreds of other people are involved.

Should you have to pay less for a car if one of the designers died 3 years ago even though they were paid by GM?

As to L.A. Noire. The studio is shuttered but money you pay *does* go to the studio. It didn't disappear. It still exists as a legal entity with debts (that's why they went out of business), and that money goes to the artists who are still owed back wages, the owners or investors who paid the artists in the first place to make it. As of october 75% of Team Bondi debts were to former employees who weren't paid. So not paying for the game is a giant fuck you to those guys who made the game and never got paid for it, when if you did pay for the game that money would be disbursed to them. The publisher (Rockstar) who contributed to the actual making of the game, paid team bondi and participated heavily in development also would get money which they are entitled to.

How do you think the basically bankrupt interplay stays afloat? People keep buying baulders gate etc. on gog.com or similar and that gives them a trickle of revenue.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (2, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897693)

Wrong analogy. The right one is: "If I die, does that mean you can come to my house and take photographs of my stuff?"

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

SteveTheNewbie (1171139) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897701)

I think (s)he means that YOU won't care if (s)he comes to your house and takes your stuff. Other people may care, but claiming that the original owner of the stuff cares is probably a shaky position to hold.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897571)

Suck it up. Some people don't agree with copyright. Why follow laws which are unjust?

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897773)

Because they're there.
The way to protest laws isn't by breaking them, because this makes you a criminal.
Like it or not, the majority will not listen to someone branded as a criminal.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

niado (1650369) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897811)

Breaking a law does not make someone a 'criminal' in many cases, such as breaking non-criminal (civil etc.) law.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

Bucky24 (1943328) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898049)

Just pointing out, sometimes the very act of protesting is illegal. So how do you protest unjust laws then?

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898121)

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

StikyPad (445176) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897641)

Gee, I wonder what the reactions on Slashdot will be. I can only guess.

You don't have to guess; you can just read the comments from the mysterious past [slashdot.org] , AKA this morning.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

Mashiki (184564) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897673)

Well at least we know that the /. dupe machine is still working well.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897671)

The sad thing is, you have a good case, but you squander it on strawmans, deliberate incorrect use of words and ad hominem. In reading your post, I had to remind myself that your viewpoint makes sense despite your terrible argumentation or I guess really despite the absence of any actual arguments. If your only objective was to rant in public, then I'd say you succeeded.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (5, Insightful)

mooingyak (720677) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897731)

I've had anti-piracy comments modded up in the past. Despite what some people say, slashdot is not a hive mind with a single opinion on everything.

The problem that many people here have with anti-piracy efforts however are quite reasonable:

1. The legal liability of having committed some form of infringement can exceed by orders of magnitude the liability of shoplifting the same content.
2. The legislation aimed at stopping piracy has considerable collateral damage.
3. Copyright duration is excessive far beyond reasonableness. Two schoolteachers wrote a little song in 1893 called "Good Morning to All". A few variations later and it morphed into the more familiar "Happy Birthday to You". Copyright for this was later filed in 1935 and under current US law does not expire until 2030. I am not aware of actually having met anyone who was alive when this song was written, though I'm told I briefly met my great-grandmother shortly after I was born. She would have been a young child when the song was written.
4. There are many indications that it's not necessarily even a revenue loss, or that if there is any revenue lost that the amount is significant. All damage estimates go by the assumption that a download == a lost sale. There is no guarantees that someone who pirated something would necessarily have bought it otherwise. This does not make their actions legal or moral, but from a fiscal perspective no harm has been done to the copyright holder.

The dichotomy you think you see (or claim to see) on slashdot is not a matter of "GPL infringement bad, media infringement good!" It's a matter of commercial vs non-commercial infringement. Most here will be hesitant to punish or call for strong penalties on a non-commercial infringer of any stripe, while being perfectly willing to see commercial infringers strung up. That can include both a company claiming GPL code as their own, or a guy selling illegal burned CDs/DVDs out of a warehouse somewhere.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

mistiry (1845474) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898025)

Goddammit, I just spent the last of my 15 mod points, and THEN I read this?!

Well said, mooingyak. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

AK Marc (707885) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897875)

On Slashdot, piracy is awesome and copyright is evil, yet GPL theft is a terrible thing. GPL code must be protected because it's free shit, yet copyright must also be abolished so we can get free shit--even though the GPL is a copyright license!

If there was no copyright, there would be no GPL (by definition) But also, if there were not copyright, there would be no need to have the GPL.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (4, Funny)

oodaloop (1229816) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897945)

If that's true, I'd like to steal Star Wars Episode I from Lucas so he won't have it anymore.

Pirates don't charge (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897973)

And it's so easy when you're evil....

I do it all for free, your tears are all the pay I'll ever need.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898007)

Gee! I didn't know Chris Dodd read /.

I guess happy to hear the White House declaration. You should get yourself an account!

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898015)

You seem to be living in a delusional fantasy world where everyone on Slashdot gives a crap about this, just because there are a few vociferous young commenters who guard these stories from other's opinions.

Most Slashdotters just see it as a brief news item, think "huh, that Pirate Bay thing again?" and move on to the next trivial bit of information about Firefox's latest release and why the kids think Firefox isn't cool anymore.

But still, thank you for presuming that we are all a hivemind, and all share the same opinion just because we didn't care to read all of the comments once we saw how redundant and sophomoric they are (on both sides of the fence).

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

sirkumi (1752188) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898239)

Seriously - I have mod points, but I'm going to forsake them for replying to your post...

You are currently at +4 Interesting. That alone says enough for me that your first and last sentences are just plain WRONG. While you gleefully generalise slashdot mods (and even general commentors), the fact is that people have different opinions, and it's how they present them that gives you points in this forum. You have a valid point, but I hope you take the time to read the people who have replied to you, and acknowledge the merits of their argument as well as their position.

People who constantly say "I'm going to get modded down for this...." annoy me. You underestimate the value of discussion, and you diminsish us all.....

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898251)

This got modded down because you are not part of a discussion. You are preaching to us all. Have a discussion with people and if you don't like the responses you are hearing walk away.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (2)

UnknownSoldier (67820) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898255)

You are extremely ignorant

a) of laws in other countries.
In Canada is is perfectly _legal_ to download copyrighted material.

b) of the breakdown of /. and their 3 camps ...

i) The small minority who say abolish this nonsensical artificial "right". _Publishers_ invented copyright because they didn't want _other_ publishers from printing & making money.

ii) The majority who say copyright is reasonable, but its current duration is absurd.

iii) The extremely minority who think the current duration is just fine.

> You are stealing from artists who created content.
You keep using this word 'stealing.' I don't thin it means what you think it means.

How am I "stealing" when I share a number?? Who's property have I deprived??

> No system can work in which nobody gets compensated for their work.
And your proof is where again?

> You're not contributing anything back when you pirate something.
So if I buy a DVD/Bluray and let my family watch, are they "leeching"?

What if I invite 50 of my friends over? Are they leeching?

Why am I not allowed to share with strangers?

What about libraries? They sure as hell share content with many, many people, yet the original artist never receives compensation. With your logic libraries should be illegal.

--
AC = Arrogant Cunt

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898261)

No system can work in which nobody gets compensated for their work.

Strawman. False Dilemma.

No one is talking about a system when producers never get paid anything for their work.

Re:Gee, I wonder what Slashdot will think (1)

steveg (55825) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898297)

> And does anyone remember when Slashdot pulled its Spider-Man 2 review because of plagiarism?

Plagiarism is unrelated.

Copyright has to do with permission to copy something. If you don't have permission to copy a copyrighted work (from the copyright holder) it is a copyright violation to do so. This is mitigated by Fair Use in many cases, but the principle remains.

Plagiarism is fraud. It is passing off someone else's work as your own. It may also be copyright violation, but it doesn't have to be. The two are orthogonal.

Again? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897393)

That's the second time today [slashdot.org] . How many final appeals are they going to reject?

Re:Again? (1)

BitterOak (537666) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897771)

That's the second time today [slashdot.org] . How many final appeals are they going to reject?

I think this is just a dupe.

Re:Again? (1)

Hatta (162192) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898005)

Someone should sue them for copying.

Slashdot is dead (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897397)

Infiltrated by Google employees and well-wishers, Slashdot consistently offers justifications for every bad behavior and terrible decision coming from Google. Just look at the privacy changes article in which fanboys banded together to make sure Google was perceived as the good guy and that anyone critical of them was modbombed.

Just to recap, Google is a multibillion dollar advertising megacorporation that was caught by the German government sniffing people's wifi data (they "accidentally" did it for three years before admitting it only when authorities threatened an investigation), forced people to use real names on Google+ and admitted it was an identity service and not a social network, stuffed Google+ results into the search engine without any competing social networks even though they have those networks indexed by the search engine (hello, Microsoft tactics), said that the only people who care about privacy "have something to hide," hacked into Mocality to call its customers, removed H.264 support in Chrome out of "openness" only to turn around and ship the closed-source Flash plugin, withheld Android source from the public but shared it with privileged hardware partners so they could have a leg up, abused their Android compatibility program to make things difficult for smartphone makers who chose Bing over Google, and on and on and on.

With all this crap they pull that would get them completely trashed if they were Microsoft or any other company, there's one reason and one reason only that they have been propped up as the good guy on Slashdot all these years--Linux. They use Linux. Slashdot is a Linux advocacy site, and so because Google uses Linux, they are good guys and get a pass for everything. That's all it takes to get Slashdot to love you. Just use Linux.

Hypocrites. When Microsoft used their Windows monopoly revenues to fund development of Internet Explorer and release it for free to try to dominate the web market, everyone here cried "antitrust!" But when Google uses its web search monopoly revenues to fund development of Android and release it for free to try to dominate smartphones, everyone defends it. For anyone who was on Slashdot during those times, to see Google doing all the very same things Microsoft did but get a completely different reaction is surreal.

Slashdot is a bubble. You only get pro-Google, pro-Linux news. Major news occurring elsewhere is often days late, if it gets reported at all. The Google+ search results fiasco is huge all over the tech sites right now, but there's nothing about it here, as if it doesn't even exist as a controversy. And did you know iOS surpassed Android in marketshare by the end of 2011 according to three research firms? With how obsessed Slashdot is over marketshare, and how they constantly trumpeted Android's marketshare all the time as a victory last year, you'd think it would be big news. But, no. This is pro-Google territory, pro-Linux territory. Gotta keep the natives happy for more page views.

This will get modded down because trolls have taken over the moderation system and openly subvert it. That's fine. It just proves my point about how Slashdot reacts to anything outside the partyline. This site's news reporting is old, antiquated, and slow, but the news isn't even why people come here anymore. The part of the community still remaining (after its years-long exodus to Reddit, Hacker News, and other sites, which is why traffic has decreased so dramatically on most Slashdot stories today) only comes here to pat themselves on the back for thinking a certain way. "Yeah, Microsoft is still evil! Yeah, Google is still the good guy! Yeah, Apple is still for chumps!" It's the year 2000 forever on Slashdot.

Re:Slashdot is dead (2)

SteveTheNewbie (1171139) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897927)

Don't be evil story - Jan 24th.
http://search.slashdot.org/story/12/01/23/2045235/facebook-twitter-and-myspace-to-google-dont-be-evil?sdsrc=rel [slashdot.org]

Even the first few comments after the announcement article on google+ integrating search were not what you'd call positive.
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/01/10/1627213/google-merges-google-into-search?sdsrc=rel [slashdot.org]

Google+ Antitrust lawsuit discussed as well..
http://search.slashdot.org/story/12/01/14/1726244/ftc-expands-its-google-antitrust-investigations [slashdot.org]

Original Google anti-trust lawsuit.
http://search.slashdot.org/story/11/06/23/2137243/ftc-to-open-antitrust-investigation-against-google?sdsrc=rel [slashdot.org]

While the iOS/Android market share stuff is harder to find, a quick search finds
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/12/01/24/230257/apple-announces-most-profitable-quarter-in-history [slashdot.org] with the first few comments quite favourable in apples direction, but also noting its hard to compare from this data android/apple numbers - and then it descends into some M$/Apple argument.

I do however recall reading on slashdot about the entire iOS/Android market share swinging in Apples favour by a few fractions of a percentage, I'm just lost trying to find the actual article I read this in.

I'm not too sure where you're getting your information from, but maybe you don't read the same slashdot I read. If anything, you are more likely to be modded down because you ARE a troll and simply trying to spread disinformation.

FIrst YAR Post (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897405)

It's a sad day. Fuck judges, lawyers, politicians, and may death come painfully to them and ehti family by natural causes of course.

Re:FIrst YAR Post (0)

multiben (1916126) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897575)

Why? Because your life as a mooching script kiddie living in your Mum's basement is in danger? That soon you may have to shave off your neck beard and get a job and pay money to use and enjoy the creative efforts of other people? One day I hope you work in a field which suffers from incessant piracy and you remember back to when you thought it was OK.

Re:FIrst YAR Post (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897647)

You sound mad because you chose a profession that is hurt by piracy. I was smart enough not to.

Sucks to be multiben, I guess!

Though, I know you're also a hypocrite that steals others' IP, but bitch about your IP being stolen. What do you work on? I'll steal it for you. Though, it's probably nothing I'm interested in.

Re:FIrst YAR Post (1)

z0idberg (888892) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897907)

Which field exactly is it that suffers from incessant piracy?

I am genuinely curious as plenty of fields claim it, but other than ridiculous claims of massive damages by *AAs against individuals in lawsuits I don't think I have seen any concrete evidence of fields that are being hurt by piracy.

Re:FIrst YAR Post (1)

multiben (1916126) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898289)

See my other post: I write software for a living

Re:FIrst YAR Post (5, Funny)

Bucky24 (1943328) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898059)

One day I hope you work in a field which suffers from incessant piracy and you remember back to when you thought it was OK.

Heh for a moment I thought you meant an actual field on a farm, and I was very confused.

Re:FIrst YAR Post (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897675)

Yeah, let's kill people cause someone might stop us from leeching stuff for free!! ASPERGERS NERDS UNITE!

The first Slashdot troll post investigation (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897421)

The last few months I have been doing some research into the trolling phenomenon on slashdot.org. In order to do this as thoroughly as possible, I have written both normal and troll posts, 1st posts, etc., both logged in and anonymously, and I have found these rather shocking results:

* More moderator points are being used to mod posts down than up. Furthermore, when modding a post up, every moderator seems to follow previous moderators in their choices, even when it's not a particularly interesting or clever post [slashdot.org] . There are a LOT more +5 posts than +3 or +4.

* Logged in people are modded down faster than anonymous cowards. Presumably these Nazi Moderators think it's more important to burn a user's existing karma, to silence that individual for the future, than to use the moderation system for what it's meant for : identifying "good" and "bad" posts (Notice how nearly all oppressive governments in the past and present do the same thing : marking individuals as bad and untrustworthy because they have conflicting opinions, instead of engaging in a public discussion about these opinions)

* Once you have a karma of -4 or -5, your posts have a score of -1 by default. When this is the case, no-one bothers to mod you down anymore. This means a logged in user can keep on trolling as much as he (or she) likes, without risking a ban to post on slashdot. When trolling as an anonymous user, every post starts at score 0, and you will be modded down to -1 ON EVERY POST. When you are modded down a certain number of times in 24 hour, you cannot post anymore from your current IP for a day or so. So, for successful trolling, ALWAYS log in.

* A lot of the modded down posts are actually quite clever [slashdot.org] , funny [slashdot.org] , etc., and they are only modded down because they are offtopic. Now, on a news site like slashdot, where the number of different topics of discussion can be counted on 1 hand, I must say I quite like the distraction these posts offer. But no, when the topic is yet another minor version change of the Linux kernel, they only expect ooohs and aaahs about this great feat of engineering. Look at the moderation done in this thread to see what I mean.

* Digging deep into the history of slashdot, I found this poll [slashdot.org] , which clearly indicates the vast majority does NOT want the moderation we have here today. 'nuff said.

Feel free to use this information to your advantage. I thank you for your time.

Anonymous cowards are... well, cowards.

Re:The first Slashdot troll post investigation (1)

Aryden (1872756) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897487)

You, sir, have far too much time on your hands.

Re:The first Slashdot troll post investigation (1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897493)

Slashdot troll investigation?

What did you do, look in the mirror?

Re:The first Slashdot troll post investigation (2)

Captain Splendid (673276) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897551)

Oh look, copypasta from fuck knows how many years ago. Slashdot isn't dead, the art of trolling is.

Re:The first Slashdot troll post investigation (1)

AaronLS (1804210) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897559)

"your posts have a score of -1 by default. When this is the case, no-one bothers to mod you down anymore"
-This is because by default most people will not see these posts.

Modding is definitely misused. People will post their inflammatory opinion, and get lots of up mods from people with the same attitude, as a way to say, "yes I share your opinion".

The problem: People spend there mod points in a way that is more like stackoverflow, where they agree with or support someone else's opinion. Stackoverflow is great, but that is not the system in place here at Slashdot.
The fix: People should understand what insightful and clever is, and not mod things up or down just based on whether they share the same opinion. That's why they are called moderation points, and not votes.

Really you should have to go through a little quiz that makes sure you understand what the definition of insightful is. Some examples that you mod, and see how well you do.

Re:The first Slashdot troll post investigation (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897587)

(insert trollface guy)

Re:The first Slashdot troll post investigation (1)

v1 (525388) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897629)

(tempting though it is to reply to your bulletpoints which show very shallow insights, I would rightfully expect some off-topic moderation to my post)

I think the thing to remember here is that the pirate bay people are almost certainly guilty of breaking said laws. Not saying the laws are just, but the fact that they appeal it repeatedly and keep getting the same decision to a degree shows that at least that facet of the system is working as designed. Piracy will always be around, but when piracy gets to a certain height it indicates there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed more urgently. It's like running a restaurant that keeps having problems with cockroaches - sure the cockroaches shouldn't be there, but there's probably an underlying problem (lack of proper sanitation) that is encouraging the problem. But almost all the laws on the books right now advocate busting out bigger and bigger cans of RAID, they ignore the underlying cause.

Look at china, piracy there is so completely out of control it's a joke. Carts on streetcorners full to overflowing with pirated media for sale dirt cheap. Imagine seeing that on the streets of London or Washington. Bad laws, lead to bad behavior, leading to worse laws. And then they justify the worse laws because of the bad behavior, ignoring the bad laws that initiated the problem to begin with. Until they get rid of the root cause, they'll never bring the intermediate issues into check. But like consulting, there's a lot less profit to be made solving a problem than there is in mitigating it, and so that's what we're doing. One of the major problems of democracy. :(

Re:The first Slashdot troll post investigation (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897719)

@v1 China will rule the world anytime soon. So all these laws enforcements in the occidental coutries are useless, or will be.

Re:The first Slashdot troll post investigation (2)

JWSmythe (446288) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897697)

Not to feed a troll, but...

1) You have too much time on your hands.

2) The posts you linked are irrelevant.

3) Complaining about moderation, poll options, isn't going to make you any friends.

4) Your usernames in the citations relate to being a troll or a karma whore.

5) Trying to score FP with copy and paste drivel isn't going to make you any friends.

    You may think you're smart, funny, and devastatingly handsome. Since we haven't seen a picture of you, all I can say is that you're wrong on at least 2 counts. In that, you've probably managed to get some people to specifically mod *you* down.

    Finally, you don't seem to really understand who the "moderators" are. It's all of us. As long as you can manage to write something intelligent occasionally, you'll get mod points. It's not a secret gang of moderating thugs out to ruin your life. I've seen my own posts go from -1 to 5 with a couple dozen moderations, usually based on the controversy of the topic.

    I fully expect this post to be modded down, because it did not lend anything to the topic at hand. That's fine, because I will post my opinion in another comment, which isn't tainted by your stench.

"Legal threats against The Pirate Bay" not updated (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897561)

Well, it looks like they haven't updated http://thepiratebay.se/legal in quite a while...

software (1)

ThorGod (456163) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897669)

Just like sex, I believe in paying for it. (joke)

But, seriously, if you use someone's work, then you should be willing to pay for their work. That can take any number of routes, but the emphasis is on 'being fair'. (This implies that work not be overpriced.)

Re:software (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897855)

"Customer-determined value" is the only path to an open market in information-age economics. Anything else is a managed market, and controls on the general public are necessary to manage it. Both ways work, one creates criminals, the other pays artists less than corporate middlemen currently receive.

Re:software (2)

icebraining (1313345) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897891)

But do you believe in convicting people who run a website with links to such works to prision and fining them in millions of dollars?

Because that's what we're discussing here.

Re:software (2)

ScrewMaster (602015) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897971)

Just like sex, I believe in paying for it. (joke)

But, seriously, if you use someone's work, then you should be willing to pay for their work. That can take any number of routes, but the emphasis is on 'being fair'. (This implies that work not be overpriced.)

Well ... you just left the content cartels out right there. "Fair" really isn't in their vocabulary.

Re:software (2)

ThorGod (456163) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898377)

Well ... you just left the content cartels out right there. "Fair" really isn't in their vocabulary.

That I did, and I agree. The bands that I've seen all *seem* to prefer your going to their concerts. Album revenues just don't 'trickle down'.

Chock it up as yet another market that, under current conditions, doesn't operate optimally.

Re:software (1)

Hatta (162192) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898019)

What does this have to do with the imprisonment of search engine operators?

Re:software (1)

ThorGod (456163) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898421)

Megaupload was not a search engine. It provided a way to share *anything* by uploading/downloading from shared links.

That's miles away from a search engine.

A duplicate on the same day. WTF (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897683)

...

Speed Duping (2, Insightful)

pscottdv (676889) | more than 2 years ago | (#38897763)

At least the editors waited for the story to fall all the way to the bottom of the front page before duping it!

Piracy (1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897813)

Where's Anonymous when they're needed?

Brief sd summary misses.... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38897929)

As per the article:

"One of the defendants informs TorrentFreak that they will now appeal at the European Court of Justice. But this, however, won’t prevent the sentences from being executed in Sweden."

"Today’s news doesn’t necessarily means that the defendants will have to go to prison. It is common in the Swedish justice system to deduct 12 months from any prison sentence on cases over 5 years old. Since the case in question meets that criteria the Pirate Bay defendants would qualify, but the decision lies with the court."

Effectively, however, as far as Sweden is concerned the verdict is good, it is still undermined if jail time will be served.

cc

I write software for a living. (-1, Flamebait)

multiben (1916126) | more than 2 years ago | (#38898057)

To respond in general to the comments defending the pirate bay: I write software for a living. I know there are many here who do. There is a crack on the net for almost every piece of software I've ever written. Can someone explain to me how that is not harmful to my business? Seriously, I would love to know. In order for me to make sure that I earn money I have to price my software based on units sold and time spent writing it. Otherwise I might as well go and work in a nice steady government job. If everyone using my software had paid for it then the price would be half what it is. Pirates hurt other consumers just as much as they hurt the businesses they steal from. Their activities are based purely on self interest and have nothing to do with free speech. If you think anything else then you are living in a dream world.

Re:I write software for a living. (0, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898269)

Can someone explain to me how that is not harmful to my business?

But but... Information wants to be free! And since software is information, all software should be free!

(the official Slashdot groupthink)

Please do not confuse the typical slashdotter with a normal person from society in general. For starters, a normal person has a girlfriend or a wife.

Re:I write software for a living. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 2 years ago | (#38898311)

As a developer who struggles with this, the problem is that you are making too many assumptions about lost sales that might not hold up in reality.

How many people who downloaded the product used it more than once? How many of them would have bought it anyway? How many of them went out afterward and bought a legitimate copy? How many of them bought a competitor's product because it was superior?

It's easy to get defensive when you see a cracked copy of your work (and I always do). But it's not a one-size-fits-all issue. You might be better off focusing on selling more copies to people who might buy them, then assuming you'd be making a sale for every pirated download.

Some even murmur about the advertising potential of piracy, as if to try to do something about it that isn't just pointing fingers. The real world's a brutal place, and any software dev who makes a product worth pirating knows this. But at some point we have to stop obsessing over it like we have any real power to stop it.

Besides that, you're the one fooling yourself if you don't think that the "solutions" to piracy aren't losing sales and eroding real life freedoms. You're living in your own little bubble and being defensive, not a harbinger of undesirable truths.

Load More Comments
Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?
or Connect with...

Don't worry, we never post anything without your permission.

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>