×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

iOS 6 Adoption Tops 25% After Just 48 Hours

timothy posted about a year and a half ago | from the must've-hated-the-last-version dept.

Upgrades 513

An anonymous reader writes "iOS 6 has seen rapid adoption among iPhone and iPad users, reports developer David Smith. Smith's applications like Audiobooks get around 100k downloads weekly and he's taken to mapping the adoption of Apple's software releases over the last couple of years. This update's data shows a 35.4% adoption of iOS 6, with iOS 5.x holding court at 71.5% adoption. That's a pretty rapid pace, eclipsing Android Jelly Bean's 2-month adoption levels of 1.2% easily."

cancel ×
This is a preview of your comment

No Comment Title Entered

Anonymous Coward 1 minute ago

No Comment Entered

513 comments

Okay? (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425527)

That's great?

Re:Okay? (2, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425571)

That's great?

No, but wake me up when it hits 125%.

IN OTHER EARTH SHATTERINFG NEWS (2)

For a Free Internet (1594621) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425583)

Hello Slashdort! I just made an awesome vegetable stew with brown rice, lentils, onions, garlic, yams, plantains, green peas and jamaican jerk flavor! Wowwza!!!! Please repost and forward this news on all SOCIAL MEDIA web-sites! Woogawoogawoogawooga! I am the best. Goodnight, Slashdort! I love you Laura!

Re:Okay? (5, Insightful)

siddesu (698447) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425763)

No, it is comparing apples to oranges as usual. I wonder what is the adoption of JB on Google devices. For me, it is about 100%, as all my google android gadgets run JB.

Re:Okay? (1)

Nerdfest (867930) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425951)

There's also the fact that Android is not limited by design, or artificially by Google in what parts of the interface can be replaced. There's really very little that that newer versions of the OS can do that cannot also be done with an app. I have an older Android phone ... I can run ICS on it, but still run Gingerbread as I find it leaves me more memory on my old hardware.

Good luck with those new map service. (1, Interesting)

Mitreya (579078) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425529)

According to what I have read [salon.com] , anyway.
It's a little un-Apple-like.

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425553)

Well if you use Sprint with the iphone the network wont be there to download the Maps. (not sure how it is these days with android) but I ended up buying Garmin to have it stored on my phone. I never use those free apps.

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (5, Interesting)

Bill Dimm (463823) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425585)

For those that haven't already seen it, there is a growing collection of iOS 6 map glitches on The Amazing IOS 6 Maps [tumblr.com]

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (1)

needsomemoola (966634) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425621)

It's their first foray into the mapping world. Google has a huge head start, setting the bar pretty high. For my area it's been spot on for accuracy. And it was nice to know they acknowledged the problem and made a statement that they were working to fix inaccuracies people are reporting.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/20/apple-issues-statement-over-day-1-maps-glitches-maps-team-under-lockdown-to-fix-issues/ [macrumors.com]

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (5, Insightful)

HJED (1304957) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425713)

Using what appears to be WW2 survaliance photos, placing streets in the middle of rivers and lakes and moving towns a great distance away from their actual location (see GP's link) are Beta or even alpha features, this should not have replaced a working app which a large number of people rely on for directions. In Aus it dosen't even recognise any toll roads.

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (5, Interesting)

sg_oneill (159032) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425949)

The big problem for me is I mostly use the google map for its *excellent* bus and train routing. I can just drop in an address, let it pull my current location from the GPS and have it give me really great bus/train combinations. Apple has dropped this feature

Until theres an alternative I simply cant upgrade. Which is a problem for me, being a full time IOS developer and all that.

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (0)

ugen (93902) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425689)

I see stuff like that with Google maps all the time - incorrect locations, wrong names, finding things that you'd never consider looking for. Hardly much different from these.
Want a simple example - just try to search for "MIA" on the maps.google.com , let me know what you find :)

Maps are that kind of a beast - they are a virtual and fairly static representation of our (very large and dynamic) world. Errors happen and will continue - no one is immune. Nothing to see here.

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (1)

HJED (1304957) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425727)

Yeah, but Apples satalite imagrey includes many black and white images as well as clouds, names out-dataed decades ago and in Aus navigation can not use toll roads.

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (4, Insightful)

pseudofrog (570061) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425765)

No, there is plenty to see here.

Maps and navigation are a big deal on smartphones. Phone calls are their most important function, but Internet browsing and maps/navigation vie for the second most important feature.

And no, Google Maps doesn't even begin to approach this failure. Not even close. Aside from the horrific rendering, missing roads, and an inability to find what should be obvious searches, it doesn't even attempt to duplicate useful functionaly present in Google Maps. Public transportation? Use 3rd-party apps. Walking directions? Lol who walks these days?

Apple fans agree. [macrumors.com]

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (2)

Bill Dimm (463823) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425771)

Misinterpreted destinations, sure, and those glitches aren't obvious if you don't know the area, so they can be very time consuming to find and correct. If you page through the Amazing Maps collection, you'll find a lot of stuff that is obviously messed up even to someone that doesn't know anything about geography, like clouds [tumblr.com] , warped roads [tumblr.com] , and complete mutilation [tumblr.com] .

Anyway, I don't have a horse in this race -- I just thought it was interesting to look at.

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (2)

shutdown -p now (807394) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425795)

The difference is in the sheer magnitude of glitches. When your map software shows Golden Gate bridge and Washington monument off by several miles, it begs the question of who even tested it, and how.

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425613)

It's way better than the old Google one.

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (0, Flamebait)

slashmydots (2189826) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425649)

Why even bother to post that? iOS device users DO NOT read reviews of anything ever. Wanna know why? They don't ever admit that anything from Apple is inferior in any way or has any flaw. And the high adoption rate is because of their legendary money management skills, lol.

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425757)

The only reason I come into these threads is to watch the haters sputter and make excuses for the almighty google. Thanks for providing me entertainment for the evening.

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (0)

MobileTatsu-NJG (946591) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425817)

Why even bother to post that? iOS device users DO NOT read reviews of anything ever.

Well, since we're painting stupid caricatures of large groups of people: Android Fans don't actually like their phones, they just want not-Apple devices. And the high adoption rate is because of their legendary hatred born from seeing a guy with a better haircut than them saying he loves his phone, lol

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425715)

It's a little un-Apple-like.

The iPhone is 5 years old. The most likely explanation is that Apple had a 5 year contract with Google for using their Maps. Since we know Google jacked up the price for the Maps API by so much that lots of people were rewriting their web apps to use open street maps, the logical conclusion is the Google refused to renew the contract at any reasonable rate.

So the big question is, was this un-Google-like? Not really, it's actually more of a pattern for Google to get people hooked on their service and then jack the price up (AppEngine for instance).

"Do know evil"

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (1)

pseudofrog (570061) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425811)

Apple doesn't abide by Google's standard pricing. They had the biggest contract by far, and Google surely wanted to keep it. (Google just dropped Maps pricing by 88%, incidentally. They do need to turn a profit.)

The ultimate irony, however, is the fact that Apple would be whining about Google not being fair with their pricing. This is the same Apple who's launching countless lawsuits against Android manufacturers. If I were running Google, I wouldn't even negotiate with them. Nor would I submit a Google Maps app for iOS.

Turn-by-turn navigation (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425843)

Google refused to offer it as part of the Maps app for iOS and used it as a competitive advantage for Android. I doubt that sat well with Apple and this is their response.

Re:Good luck with those new map service. (1)

93 Escort Wagon (326346) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425977)

Yeah, my 3GS is eligible for iOS 6 - but there's no way I'm upgrading until Google's standalone Maps app is released.

I understand the reasoning behind Apple not wanting to keep paying Google for their maps; but I use the current Maps app pretty often. Apple's app - even without considering the glitches - gives away too much functionality.

Always with the jabs (5, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425559)

Yes, because comparing the release of Jelly Bean on a multitude of manufacturer, carrier, and hardware platforms is an entirely reasonable comparison to the release of an iOS locked to specific hardware, from one manufacturer.

Re:Always with the jabs (4, Interesting)

MBCook (132727) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425655)

According to c|net [cnet.com] , as of yesterday Verizon Galaxy Nexus users could download Jelly Bean. Within 24 hours, Apple had 15% penetration across all their devices. I wonder what the percentage is of Galaxy Nexus users?

Are there any very popular Android phones that have received an update in the last year or so that had the update adopted that fast?

I don't know what the Android process is like, but I can say that the iOS process is really slick. At this point, Apple has it down to a science. The update was trivial to install, didn't take too long, and was easily configured on first boot. The 5.1 update process (which was the first delta update, so it was only ~50 MB instead of 700+) was especially fast.

Re:Always with the jabs (4, Insightful)

Nemyst (1383049) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425761)

Apple controls the hardware and software. You're singling out a specific version of the Galaxy Nexus which is renown for having compatibility issues (different antenna if I'm not mistaken) and for being bogged down by Verizon's stupid involvement.

My Nexus S has had Jelly Bean since roughly two weeks after it was announced. OTA updates were available worldwide within the same timeframe. My Transformer received it a month or so later, and that's to account for the docking station support, specific drivers, etc.

You just can't compare the two platforms. If what you want is a closed, smooth environment, go for Apple. If you want an open environment, with both the good and bad that that implies, go Android. It's simple really.

Re:Always with the jabs (2)

DeathFromSomewhere (940915) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425775)

Maybe you should look at the roll out history for ICS on the Nexus S. Most variations lagged >6 months behind the release. This isn't an isolated problem, and it's not one you can avoid by getting a Nexus device.

Re:Always with the jabs (4, Informative)

shutdown -p now (807394) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425803)

The Android process is OTA, same as iOS - and, unlike iOS, it has been that way since forever. Your phone will tell you that there is an update via the notification drawer. You tap the notification, it asks if you want to install it. You tap "yes", then go make some coffee, and in about 5 minutes or so your phone is updated.

Re:Always with the jabs (0)

MobileTatsu-NJG (946591) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425835)

Yes, because comparing the release of Jelly Bean on a multitude of manufacturer, carrier, and hardware platforms is an entirely reasonable comparison to the release of an iOS locked to specific hardware, from one manufacturer.

Umm.. that doesn't actually put Android in a particularly good light. Even a Windows upgrade would smoke Android in this metric.

Comparing 2 different things... (5, Insightful)

Darkness404 (1287218) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425563)

That's a pretty rapid pace, eclipsing Android Jelly Bean's 2-month adoption levels of 1.2% easily

Of course Jelly Bean's adoption level is very low because what, 3-4 devices support Jelly Bean officially? And those 3-4 devices are a small percentage of all Android devices. Heck, even the "flagship" Android phone the Galaxy S III won't be getting Jelly Bean until the end of September or later. While all iOS devices are Apple phones/tablets/media players and the iOS 6 update is available for all of them made within the past couple of years.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425627)

That's a pretty rapid pace, eclipsing Android Jelly Bean's 2-month adoption levels of 1.2% easily

Of course Jelly Bean's adoption level is very low because what, 3-4 devices support Jelly Bean officially? And those 3-4 devices are a small percentage of all Android devices. Heck, even the "flagship" Android phone the Galaxy S III won't be getting Jelly Bean until the end of September or later. While all iOS devices are Apple phones/tablets/media players and the iOS 6 update is available for all of them made within the past couple of years.

That's a pretty rapid pace, eclipsing Android Jelly Bean's 2-month adoption levels of 1.2% easily

Of course Jelly Bean's adoption level is very low because what, 3-4 devices support Jelly Bean officially? And those 3-4 devices are a small percentage of all Android devices. Heck, even the "flagship" Android phone the Galaxy S III won't be getting Jelly Bean until the end of September or later. While all iOS devices are Apple phones/tablets/media players and the iOS 6 update is available for all of them made within the past couple of years.

That's funny. Of course adoption is sky high; it's 1 phone and when iDrones see an update notification they automatically do it. And lets not forget that most updates to iTunes force you to update the iPhone software to work correctly.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (5, Insightful)

sootman (158191) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425683)

> Of course adoption is sky high; it's 1 phone

3 old and one new phone, actually; and a few models of iPod and 2 models of iPad, plus several carriers and several cellular technologies.

> and when iDrones see an update notification they
> automatically do it.

That's the whole point. They don't update because they're "iDrones", they update because it fucking works.

> And lets not forget that most updates to iTunes force
> you to update the iPhone software to work correctly.

Bullshit. Every so often, you're forced to update iTunes to work with the newest OS, but this week's iTunes still works with my five-year-old original iPhone on iOS 3.x. You might need to update to the newest minor version in some cases (I'm not sure about that, but I'll go ahead and concede that to make my next point) but why not? THIS WHOLE SHIT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK.

You're missing the forest for the trees. The fact that it's newsworthy that one company has made software updates work pretty smoothly in 2012 is pretty fucking sad.

Partly this is Android being jerked around by the carriers, but it's also a matter of a bunch of OEMs who don't give a shit about a device once it's been sold, compared to the one company that actually wants you to be a happy customer and voluntarily return to buy more, and not just say "Well my old phone from X sucks, so I'll get a new one, but I'll stick with X, because all the rest are probably just as bad and at least I'm familiar with this one."

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (1, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425801)

Please, mod parent up...

I am an Apple user too, so you may say I'm biased. I don't give a damn. Apple products work for me.

People talk about "Apple's walled garden", but look at Android's garden! It has no walls, but it has no flowers either! It's run by OEM handset makers and phone companies, which are much greedier than Apple.

Google doesn't give a damn, because all that matters to them is advertising. So, they update the system but don't get to decide who can update. And recent versions of Android need more powerful hardware -- or so they want us to think.

So, you got a "new" Galaxy S2 last year and you can't get Jelly Bean yet -- maybe in november.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425841)

Please mod parent down for asking people to mod a post up.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425873)

Please, mod parent down for complaining about people asking for moderation.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425857)

Yes and IOS also Just Works. I will getting around to updating it when I get the chance.
Many Android user can not update because they can't.

You do not want an iPhone then do not buy one it is not "the ring" there is no one phone to rule them all.

Some people like the walled garden. Some do not. Some like windows and Blackberrys (not as many as they used to).
Good thing you can buy what you want.
Freedom! Freedom! Freedom!

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (4, Insightful)

Doctor_Jest (688315) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425917)

What we get from this is not that "one company has made software updates work pretty smoothly" (they've had HUGE problems in the past with OS X, and I don't fault them for it, because it's just how things go). What we get is that Apple's a pretty good mobile phone company. What we get from the OEMs and other ecosystems that use Android is that diversity of hardware and software reminds us more of Microsoft Windows than anything else... but more importantly, we see that the Android ecosystem has a bunch of assholes at the top who control the hardware. (Not just one asshole.) :-)

That's the whole point. They don't update because they're "iDrones", they update because it fucking works

If it just works, why upgrade? They upgrade because they are fans of Apple and they want the new features, not simply because it "works." Some people love that ecosystem. Some people feel that choice is more important that "smooth updates". YMMV. A feature has been deemed compelling by the iPhone fans and they have responded with upgrading. "It just works" is only a side effect of controlling both sides of the equation (phone/OS). The vibe I get from a great many Apple users reminds me of status and one-upping the next person. Is the iPhone 4S a hunk of crap now that the new iPhone is out? Certainly not, but some people (regardless of ecosystem) want the "latest and greatest" of everything. It just seems that a majority of those who are attracted to Apple products are not tinkerers and hobbyists (among other things), but people who view computers and phones as an appliance. I was not a typical Apple customer. I enjoyed tinkering with OS X. I skinned it early on with hacks, I fiddled with all sorts of things under the hood. I returned to Linux to continue to do that... :)

compared to the one company that actually wants you to be a happy customer and voluntarily return to buy more

I disagree. To me, Apple has not been concerned about happy customers. They are concerned with their brand recognition and reputation. They only want dependency, just like every other company. The difference between Apple and say, Microsoft, is that Apple is willing to charge into new markets, leaving old ones behind. With an enigmatic and charismatic leader like Jobs, they were able to pull that off successfully (upon his return to Apple). I don't know how well that will work without "His Steveness". They didn't call it a reality distortion field for nothing... I am not demonizing Apple or lauding Android. I like what I like. It just so happens that I used to like Apple's OS X, but I have never liked their phone. My Mac Mini is on its way to being a Linux box. I have been a Linux user off and on since college. What I have learned is that I can work better in Linux than I can any other OS. That is just me, though, and it is my personal opinion. YMMV. No warranties expressed or implied. Operators are standing by.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (1)

TheEffigy (2666397) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425987)

I didn't even use iTunes myself - just click update on my phone and it did it over WIFI.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (0)

MobileTatsu-NJG (946591) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425855)

And lets not forget that most updates to iTunes force you to update the iPhone software to work correctly.

My phone hasn't talked to iTunes in almost a year. That was the last time I updated iTunes. Looks like G-Drones have trouble staying up to date with both OS updates and information on how the competition works.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (2, Insightful)

girlintraining (1395911) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425639)

While all iOS devices are Apple phones/tablets/media players and the iOS 6 update is available for all of them made within the past couple of years.

Apple has auto-update enabled and often forced on their products and their target audience is not the technically adept. The average person doesn't go into options or configuration menus often, if ever. A lot of techies disable auto-update for a number of reasons, including hacking their phones so that leaving auto-update enabled could cause accidental bricking. As well, Apple's product line is, as you mentioned, rather exclusive: iOS only runs on one company's hardware. Android runs on dozens.

Anyway, let's be honest about one other issue: vendor support. Android may run on more devices, have more features, and be considerably more complex and open than iOS, but when it comes to the phone manufacturer standing behind their product, they give a resounding "Fuck you" to the customer. Apple products are still supported and actively maintained for several years after launch. Samsung, HPC, etc., might make one, maybe two updates for your phone. Ever. Six months from now, they'll be releasing another $600 retail phone to much fanfare, and your phone, which they promised upgrades for years, is forgotten.

Which is probably why even if tomorrow Google released a version of Android which gave the user orgasms with the push of a button, they still wouldn't gain much market share... in six months, there'd be "Orgasm with cigarette and cheesecake" released and Orgasm 1.0 would develop some horrible security flaw that would render you sterile and break out in boils, and the vendor would tell you they plan a fix... eventually... but hey, in the mean time, have you checked our our commercials for the next version?

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425733)

LOL. I love pretending that iPhone users are less tech-savvy than Android users.

The only differences between iPhone users and Android users are:
1) Android users are too poor to buy an iPhone.
2) Android users get laid less often.

Those stats are real. Look them up.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (4, Interesting)

puto (533470) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425737)

i work for ATT which arguably has the largest number of Idevices, and as an escalation manager, I have to handle problems from both platforms. IOS6 has caused me quite a bit of headaches since its release, since the majority of Apple users are non technical users and do not live by the mantra if it aint broke, dont fix it. So they update from apple and it suddenly is the carriers problem.... when in reality any software, hardware update should be shunned for at least six months. As far as vendor support, when something goes wrong with an iphone that is an inherent problem with ios, the apple geniuses blame it on the carrier. Apple always gives a resounding fuck you to the carrier because they do not like to admit they are wrong. So in my daily workload I have to explain the "geniuses" are not geniuses". I run jellybean on a 2 year old Motorola.... Iphone users will update to whatever, not realizing that something is a beta needs to be fully baked. I took 40 escalations today over I)S 6...

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425767)

i work for ATT

Yeah, I stopped reading right there before the bullshit could stick to my new boots.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (-1, Flamebait)

shutdown -p now (807394) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425823)

i work for ATT which arguably has the largest number of Idevices, and as an escalation manager ... when in reality any software, hardware update should be shunned for at least six months.

You have no understanding of what your clients want or need. Do a favor to them and find yourself a new job.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (1)

PmanAce (1679902) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425853)

I'm curious, what do his clients want or need since you seem to know the answer? Maybe you forgot to provide the onus of explanation in your negating statement?

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (4, Insightful)

puto (533470) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425877)

Really? As an old network engineer the mantra was if there was not something in a service pack, update, that you specifically needed, there was no valid reason to update the os, software package that was working fine, unless you needed the untested specific bell and whistle. Especially if you are using your computer/device as an integral part of making your living or running a business. Updates should be vetted for a period of time to make sure there are no anomalies which could cause issues. Talk to me when you have a client who updated their software on their phone and suddenly all their contacts went to shit, and they did not have the sense to back up to the Icloud or Itunes, and a senior Vice President at Gulf Strean is screaming at you because of his stupidity. It is not a question of what a client wants, it is a question of proper procedure. You need to find yourself a new job if you think IT is about the latest and greatest.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425985)

Customer 5 years, called ATT for the first time because I lost my most used program, google maps. ATT was no help and I'm stuck in my contract for 8 more months

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425991)

I'm going to have to call bullshit here. Your username is puto [google.com] and you work for AT&T as a manager? That's just too fucking obvious to be true. (For those who don't speak Spanish, "puto" means "fucking")

Before someone mods me down for what looks like trolling, the poster I'm responding to claims that "Apple always gives a resounding fuck you to the carrier because they do not like to admit they are wrong." Yet when I caught AT&T "cramming" third party charges onto my bill, the AT&T manager I escalated to had the balls to claim AT&T had "proof" they couldn't show me or describe to me that they received an approval for the cramming charge from my device at the very moment I was using that device to report a spam text message. AT&T has no business complaining about someone else giving a "resounding fuck you" when they do it to their customers all the time. AT&T needs to be broken up again, and their employees have no business complaining about other companies' practices.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (1)

Nemyst (1383049) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425777)

I'd be agreeing with you if you hadn't put that last paragraph. Saying that Android won't gain much market share is not only foolish, it's entirely false. By now Android's taken a significant share of the market and I don't see that shrinking anytime soon. If Google can step their game up and fix some the glaring issues such as inconsistent updates from manufacturers, they'll be well on their way to take the dominant position.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425735)

You list these things as if they were legitimate reasons... but they are just excuses. There is no technical or business reason why Android can't have an auto-update mechanism to bypass everything that you've said.

Re:Comparing 2 different things... (1)

Anubis IV (1279820) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425939)

Of course Jelly Bean's adoption level is very low because what, 3-4 devices support Jelly Bean officially? And those 3-4 devices are a small percentage of all Android devices. Heck, even the "flagship" Android phone the Galaxy S III won't be getting Jelly Bean until the end of September or later. While all iOS devices are Apple phones/tablets/media players and the iOS 6 update is available for all of them made within the past couple of years.

What about Ice Cream Sandwich then? iOS6 adoption is well past it as well, and it's been out for around a year and has much wider support, including on the very flagship device that you cited.

Look, the fact is, this is an apples and oranges comparison of sorts. Pretty much any iOS devcie from the last three years can be updated (though not all, notably the first iPad), so the number of eligible devices makes up a very large percentage of the pool, meaning that adoption rates should be fast. In contrast, the number of devices eligible to upgrade to ICS or JB makes up a smaller percentage of the Android pool of devices, given that many Android devices only receive a .x update or two (i.e. Android's adoption rates are, I would posit, primarily driven by sales of new devices, not upgrades). As such, it's only natural that the rate at which new versions of Android will be adopted will be lower, and that will continue to be the case for as long as upgrades are handled in the way that they are. That's not Google's fault, nor is it necessarily the manufacturer's fault either, so they should not be held to blame.

That said, this is a strong argument for why the Android folks need to fix the relationship between Google, the manufacturers, and the carriers so that this sort of thing doesn't keep happening. Just because it may not be fair to blame Google or the manufacturers does not mean that it's unfair to blame the carriers or the overall structure of the system. The entire system is designed to provide no incentive to the stakeholders involved for offering upgrades, makes offering upgrades a painful process (e.g. carrier interference), and puts the power for who gets to make the decision in the hands of people who have competing interests at play (e.g. carriers want you to buy a new device so they can lock you into a fresh contract).

Actually, maybe they just need to remove carriers from the equation, since that's really the only variable that's different between Apple and Android when it comes to this topic. After that, it becomes an apples-to-apples comparison between Apple and the various Android manufacturers, allowing us to finally compare adoption rates or even the availability of OS versions without interference from third-parties.

Get a Jobs (4, Insightful)

fm6 (162816) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425565)

The good news about living in a walled garden is that you benefit from Steve Jobs's obsessive need for state of the art. The bad news about living in a walled garden is that you have to live with his obsession for control.

And yes, I know he's dead. But his obsessions live!

Re:Get a Jobs (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425861)

From what I've heard, he would've had somebody's head over this years before the iO6 release.

Not always smooth (3, Interesting)

Grayhand (2610049) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425569)

I hate doing updates for my iOS devices. Every time I've ever done it it kills the device and I wind up wiping it and doing a reinstall. It has always worked so far but why does an update brick the device every time? It's happened with every touch I've ever owned and the tradition is alive and well with my "New" iPad/iPad 3. You'd think Apple who normally has a reputation for seamless upgrades would be better than this?

Re:Not always smooth (1)

needsomemoola (966634) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425599)

As of iOS 5, it is smooth now, as long as you use the "Update" feature (not Restore) in iTunes or even better (and smoother), the built in update on the device. I used it to upgrade from 5 to 6. It took a bit to download (600 MB), but besides that it went perfectly.

Settings -> General -> Software Update

I hope this helps.

Re:Not always smooth (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425631)

I don't think "brick" means what you think it means.

Re:Not always smooth (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425645)

This was modded up? One isolated incident? Really? Clearly 30%+ have no issues on upgrade.

Re:Not always smooth (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425657)

"user error" comes to mind. While some will classify this as "fanboy", I and my kids have yet to have any failures when updating iPods, iPads or iPhones. Same goes for updates to the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7.

Re:Not always smooth (1)

evil_aaronm (671521) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425749)

I had trouble updating my iPod Touch 4th gen, but that's because I use the Peel 520 device to provide phone capabilities to my iPod Touch, and use Cydia-installed software, which causes the update to choke. If I were to disable the Cydia portion, I'm sure the updates would work just as well as it did on my wife's iPhone 4S. Updates always worked fine before I installed Cydia and the Peel software.

Re:Not always smooth (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425717)

well it must be you...i have more than 15 people i provide ipads and iphones too and none of us have had this problem.
Not saying your lying...but it sure as hell doesnt match my much more extensive experience. you probably jailbreak your phone and thus want to blame apple for your idiocy.

Re:Not always smooth (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425935)

What are you doing to your devices? If it were one incident, I'd say you had bad luck. If it were two, it'd be really bad luck. But over and over? That's a systemic problem, and it's on your end.

Customer focus (5, Interesting)

Microlith (54737) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425573)

Well when you're Apple and have a unique position among the handset vendors where the carrier doesn't insist on fucking with your device software and lets you treat the end user as the customer, and interact with them directly to provide support, then it's a lot easier.

When you have the mistaken perspective (easy to make in the US) that the carrier is your customer and you should cater to them, shit happens like ancient devices without updates. Not that it'd help blatantly irresponsible companies like Motorola, who repeatedly abandon handsets after a year or so, but may be they'd be more willing to do a better job (or more directly feel the effects) if they weren't protected by contracts and buffered from reality by the carriers.

Re:Customer focus (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425659)

So we should be hoping that the (non-Apple) device makers grow a couple? Or that Google can slowly tighten the handcuffs on both the device makers and the carriers? Or just plan to root and re-flash the os? Or just use an iPhone? Bleah, no really palatable options anywhere.

Re:Customer focus (1)

Microlith (54737) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425911)

Regulation is always an option. Barring hardware exclusivity, like they do in Europe, is another.

Re:Customer focus (2)

Nemyst (1383049) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425781)

Yes, and I'm seriously hoping that now that Motorola is officially part of Google, their support will improve, if not for current phones, then at least for the next models. It's entirely unacceptable that so many phones are left with ancient versions of the OS. Google should put it in the licensing agreement for getting access to the Market and Google apps that they need to support their phones for a certain period of time.

Fewer, better phones, I say.

Re:Customer focus (1)

puto (533470) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425809)

i work for ATT, as stated in a previous post, and the carrier does let you fuck with your device software, like ATT customers cannot use Facetime over the network unless they are are on certain data plans, which is flag created by apple, because they get a percentage of the cost of the data plans, and stand to make more money... not the US but Apple... And Apple rules at ATT is that if you want to upgrade before you contract is over, you pay 250 bucks plus the cost of the upgrade. But then I know shite about Apple...

Re:Customer focus (1)

Cinder6 (894572) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425859)

The Android update situation raises an interesting question: Who should wear "the pants" in the carrier/vendor relationship? I can see arguments for both sides, but I have to think it would be better if the vendors had a bigger say in things.

Re:Customer focus (1)

Microlith (54737) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425903)

No one, frankly. They should be wholly separate. With the move to LTE and, from the looks of things, multi-band and multi-format basebands coming early in the technology's lifecycle, it might actually be viable to buy a handset and pick from the carriers.

The stupid thing is letting them try to be more than dumb pipes and put up barriers to customer mobility between them.

In other unlrelated news... (1)

Andy Prough (2730467) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425581)

In other unrelated news, several thousand drivers missed the turn for the Brooklyn bridge today and mysteriously drove straight into the East River...

Math is hard (5, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425609)

>35.4% adoption of iOS 6, with iOS 5.x holding court at 71.5% adoption

So, iOS 5.x and 6.0 have reached 106.9% adoption on his site? That's impressive.

Re:Math is hard (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425947)

That's what I was wondering. Surprised it took me so long to scroll down to a comment pointing it out.

Re:Math is hard (1, Funny)

Idbar (1034346) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425963)

Well... now it makes sense. If they used the same people releasing these numbers to craft the maps, I can imagine bigger map tiles causing all those bumps on the roads and airports after stitching.

OP must be new here (1)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425611)

iOS upgrades and Android upgrades are not comparable.

Most android devices aren't even eligible to upgrade to the next major versions. My droid charge for example is stuck at 2.3.x.

Re:OP must be new here (3, Interesting)

mjvictory (2658093) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425679)

But is that how it should be? The best comparison is Android to Windows/Linux, where we see old hardware being upgradeable, by the user, without rooting the device. There is no technical reason a one year phone cannot be upgraded to JB. But thanks to Google/device manufacturers handing so much control to carriers that does not happen. This is a situation where Apple really does lead the way.

Re:OP must be new here (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425929)

Microsoft has some neat middle ground here. They know exactly what minimum hardware their OEM devices have, and can guarantee updates will provide an identical user interface for all their customers. You won't get the latest and greatest quad core phonezillas, but my single core Windows Phone 7 feels smoother and snappier than my dual core Motorola Atrix with more RAM than my netbook.

It pisses me off mostly because the Nexus devices are so amazing. I know Android has the capability to be awesome, and the fact that I'm held back by Motorola's lack of updates makes me more upset.

Re:OP must be new here (2)

Rosyna (80334) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425707)

iOS upgrades and Android upgrades are not comparable.

Most android devices aren't even eligible to upgrade to the next major versions. My droid charge for example is stuck at 2.3.x.

Isn't that the point?

Re:OP must be new here (1)

puto (533470) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425825)

my two year old moto defy is running jelly bean. I mean it is a hacked mod, but this is /., are we not supposed to be the least bit techie?

Re:OP must be new here (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425961)

Existing android phone can't be upgraded and new android phones are using a version from 2 years ago. You're right, not at all comparable with iPhone/iOS.

Actually... (5, Interesting)

sootman (158191) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425647)

... the really funny part is it also eclipses the over-one-year-old Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) [informationweek.com] as well.

Re:Actually... (4, Insightful)

farkus888 (1103903) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425883)

You, like everyone else so far in this conversation, are making a false equivalence fallacy. The only thing this article points out is adoption rates by users when the software became available to the users. The only actual apples to apples comparison to android would require a by carrier and by device breakdown because that is how android users get updates. What was the adoption rate of Jelly Bean on the Galaxy Nexus on VZ the same amount of time after VZ started pushing it to users? I know my android phone was updated less than 8 hours after its most recent update became available to me. Considering most people just click ok on everything that pops up in front of them I imagine the adoption rate is high, since all it takes to update an android phone is to click ok on the notification and wait 5 minutes for it to do its thing and then reboot. My last iphone took longer to run its updates than my android phones have and it required far more user interaction and effort to get those updates started in the first place.

If I wanted polarized arguments with neither side bothering to think at all I'd go read about politics. It is a statistic, not grounds for a holy war. Why isn't anyone here talking about a technical solution to increase that adoption rate? That is what this real nerd was hoping to see here. I wonder what percentage of those are new devices that shipped with ios6? Did his math account for people with new devices being forced to re-download his app? This clearly doesn't show any indication of software upgrade rates on old hardware, but mathematically they must be lower than overall adoption rates since 100% of new iphones are on ios6.

Re:Actually...i was wondering (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425927)

how long it was going to take ---------->http://pastebin.com/Rekh6jYD
but then i found out
it wasnt that big of a surprise

YouTube (1)

rickintx (230086) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425669)

Don't forget to get the new youtube app, since apple dumped the native one for no good reason.

Re:YouTube (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425743)

I seem to recall hearing they had a good reason -- their license expired.

Re:YouTube (2)

garcia (6573) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425753)

There was no reason to have a native YouTube app included in the OS, was there? I can count the number of times I opened that app on one hand in the 4 years I've owned an iPhone.

I downloaded the new YouTube app, opened it once and then deleted it. It's the same shit you get on the web and it's mainly for finding new videos rather than anything truly useful. It's not like you need the app to view the videos.

This is really a non-issue.

Re:YouTube (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425879)

On the contrary, I've found the app to be far more responsive than a mobile web browser. At least for Android, anyway.

Re:YouTube (2)

Cinder6 (894572) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425827)

Don't forget to get the new youtube app, since apple dumped the native one for no good reason.

And thank God. The old one was really outdated--a relic from when Apple needed a custom solution in order to even play Youtube videos (during the whole "no Flash" debacle)--and borderline terrible. The new one on the App Store is loads better.

And yeah, the license they had with Google expired. Sounds like a good reason to drop it. Besides, if you don't want it, why should it be taking up space on your screen? (Now, if only I could drop Stocks and Newsstand. They just added Passbook, but it looks like it has some potential.)

Pretty lame (1)

MobileTatsu-NJG (946591) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425783)

That's a pretty rapid pace, eclipsing Android Jelly Bean's 2-month adoption levels of 1.2% easily

To be fair, that's not due to lack of interest. That's due to companies like Samsung who don't step on the gas to keep these devices up to date. Just a month ago I finally got ICS on my Tab.

A measure of stupidity (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425867)

All it shows is how many IOS users are too stupid to keep iTunes from automatically applying updates.

LET'S ALL GO REVIEW SMITH'S APPS !! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425885)

Or buy them !!

Let's make him rich beyond his wildest dreams !!

From the lighter side of life !!

Let's do it because it IS APPLE, even if only a part !!

We ALL deserve it !!

So, in the words of one John Blutarsky, let's DO IT !!

come on now, let's compare REAL measurements :) (0)

Anonymous Coward | about a year and a half ago | (#41425901)

i really think this headline should read: 'locked in users who always click OK to on-screen prompts, did in fact click OK to yet another on-screen prompt without reading it.'

You'll also note the percentage of iphone users who dont know a thing about their phones and what they do.

check out this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4

i esp like the guy who has the 4S that thinks this new 5 is so much quicker, slicker than his.

Phooey! iOS6 Broke Stanza (1)

sehlat (180760) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425943)

Tried it out on a spare iTouch, given the history. Stanza showed how much it liked the change by locking up on display setting changes.

Yeah, yeah, I know, the Dread Pirate Bezos bought Stanza because it was a serious threat to his precious-piece-of-trash-kindle.

Phooey on Apple and Bezos both.

Caching Problem (5, Interesting)

johnkoer (163434) | about a year and a half ago | (#41425945)

Apparently there is a bug in Safari for IO6 [stackoverflow.com] that causes caching of POST requests, which is causing all sorts of web developers to scramble like crazy to implement cache busting in their apps.

Thanks apple.

Load More Comments
Slashdot Account

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Don't worry, we never post anything without your permission.

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>
Sign up for Slashdot Newsletters
Create a Slashdot Account

Loading...