JonMartin would like to poll the collective wisdom and experience of those Slashdot readers who would like to assist him in his quest for his idea of the perfect keyboard. Check out his description and see how well his ideal matches to yours.
"I am hunting for my perfect keyboard. I have not been able to find any vendor that matches my dream spec exactly, so I thought I would ask here before I start to compromise.
Here are the desired specs:
- the main part of the keyboard must be a 101-key layout, so no Win95 keys or internet keys (I would tolerate Win95 keys if they were out of the way - ie. above the numeric keypad)
- USB connector (but must still work with PS/2 adaptor in an emergency)
- 2 USB ports (obviously these will not be expected to work with the PS/2 adaptor)
- straight Enter key (not the big-L type)
- no 'ergonomic'split layout
- compact footprint (regular sized keyboard, but no extraneous molding that takes up desk space) maybe 18"x6.5"
- good quality and construction
JonMartin mentions that a few of his requests are quite subjective, so he's willing to try a few to see how they work out, so try to leave out those recommendations that are sold "as-is", please.