Beta

Slashdot: News for Nerds

×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

The Ethics Cloud Over Ballmer's $2 Billion B-Ball Buy

samzenpus posted about 2 months ago | from the dirty-money dept.

The Almighty Buck 398

theodp (442580) writes '"It is hard to imagine any more heinous way of earning money than by benefiting from racism," writes Rick Cohen, who argues that Donald Sterling and the NBA owners are being unjustly enriched by Sterling's racism, which led to the $2 billion sale of the L.A. Clippers to ex-Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, a record-high sum for an NBA team. "Indeed, the only losers in the Sterling affair are the players," adds the NY Times. "What held promise as a possible D-Day in the N.B.A., a day when N.B.A. owners stood up to be counted and voted Donald Sterling out of the league, instead turned into a great day for the status quo." Forbes contributor Robert Wood speculates that if he plays his cards right, Sterling's windfall could be tax-free.'

cancel ×

398 comments

pishaw (5, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178237)

Ethics? Ethics in the corporate world is what gets you the most cash. The corporate assholes live in a scruple-free culture.

Re:pishaw (1)

B33rNinj4 (666756) | about 2 months ago | (#47178289)

I don't know why you were down-voted, because this is pretty much 100% accurate.

Re:pishaw (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178293)

This.

If you make selfishness a virtue, anything's good as long as it gets you more of what you want (and the idea that each man's selfishness benefits everyone is just rationalising handwavery).

Simple. Wonder why no-one's thought of this before (2, Insightful)

just_a_monkey (1004343) | about 2 months ago | (#47178407)

We ought to outlaw selfishness. Everyone should always work towards the common good.

Re:Simple. Wonder why no-one's thought of this bef (4, Funny)

NotDrWho (3543773) | about 2 months ago | (#47178425)

For the hundredth time, vulcan, we're not joining any goddamn federation of planets!

Re:Simple. Wonder why no-one's thought of this bef (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178511)

That's not a vulcan - that's just a monkey.

Re:Simple. Wonder why no-one's thought of this bef (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178785)

What you say is obviously communist.

The real way forward is that 99% of the people must work for the common good, of which the 1% gets more than everybody else. Because they deserve it.

Re:pishaw (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178497)

If you make selfishness a virtue, anything's good as long as it gets you more of what you want

Selfishness *is* a virtue. It's communism that's a vice.
--
roman_mir

Re:pishaw (5, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178737)

If you don't live for yourself then you live for others. Living for others makes you a slave.

Re:pishaw (5, Insightful)

LWATCDR (28044) | about 2 months ago | (#47178675)

Ethics on Slashdot? No one questions that someone was banned for life and was forced to forfeit his property because of something he said in a private conversation that was recorded and published without his permission.

If you are not outraged by this then please do not bother ever complaining about privacy.

Remember racism is not illegal. Discrimination based on race in the workplace is.

BTW I do not like racism at all but this is just too weird for words.

Re:pishaw (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178803)

Forfeit? Nope. He's getting paid for it. TFA and TFS even say so.

Really (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178243)

I thought the story would be about the pimp who organized the entire scam....Baseball team will have to do for now....

So what's the problem here? (4, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178247)

Is it that he's being paid a market price for his team? How could it have been otherwise?

Re:So what's the problem here? (4, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178287)

He has an opinion that liberals don't like so they think that they should be able to take his property from him without providing compensation.

Re:So what's the problem here? (5, Insightful)

LordKronos (470910) | about 2 months ago | (#47178525)

Exactly. I don't get all of the talk about how this is a reward. He could have sold the team at any time of his choosing. The price he got isn't because of his racist remarks. It's because there are so few teams available, they don't often come up for sale, and as teams go, the Clippers is actually a pretty highly ranked team. If anything, forcing him to sell actually is a punishment, even at $2 billion. He bought the team for $12.5m 33 years ago. Now it's worth $2b. That works out to an average annual return of almost 17%. It's virtually impossible to find an investment that gives those sort of returns over the long term. When you actually do have one, you'd want to hold onto it as long as possible (unless you have reason to believe its value is about to tank). Forcing him to sell such a fast growing asset is indeed punishment.

Re:So what's the problem here? (0, Troll)

MitchDev (2526834) | about 2 months ago | (#47178563)

Hopefully the team's value will plummet after the sale is complete.

Re:So what's the problem here? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178821)

> you'd want to hold onto it as long as possible (unless you have reason to believe its value is about to tank). Forcing him to sell such a fast growing asset is indeed punishment.

Donald Sterling is 80 years old. The NBA did him a favor by forcing him to cash out. He can't take that $2 billion with him when he kicks the bucket.

Re:So what's the problem here- Fucking Moderators (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178723)

This shit is insightful? Fucking Hack Moderators!

Re:So what's the problem here? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178853)

Whereas if he had an opinion that conservatives don't like, they'd think he was a traitor to America and deserved to be held prisoner by the Taliban.

Racism or Thought Police? (4, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178255)

Here's Slashdot cheering the thought police. The man was baited into saying something in a private phone call. Where are our privacy champions now? What a bunch of frauds. We cheer Snowden because the media tells us to, but then champion spying on someone because the media tells us to.

Re:Racism or Thought Police? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178405)

In Germany, where the right for privacy is very strong, so called "people of public life" don't have this strong right for privacy. Here is a precedent [google.com] .
This however doesn't extend to tapping phone calls.

Re:Racism or Thought Police? (5, Insightful)

NotDrWho (3543773) | about 2 months ago | (#47178437)

Yeah, but privacy and free speech and all that only applies if you're saying politically-correct stuff. The second you say "nigger" or even mildly criticize some protected group YOU MUST BE DESTROYED!!!!!

Re:Racism or Thought Police? (1)

Bigbutt (65939) | about 2 months ago | (#47178577)

or Feminists

[John]

Re:Racism or Thought Police? (4, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178557)

> Here's Slashdot cheering the thought police. The man was baited into saying something in a private phone call. Where are our privacy champions now?

It wasn't a phone call, it was in person. But, while the recording was what brought his bigotry to public attention, what really matters are all his other public actions, like refusing to rent apartments to blacks and hispanics. It was only a matter of time before all his shit caught up with him.

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-sterling-racist-history-2014-4

Re:Racism or Thought Police? (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178615)

like refusing to rent apartments to blacks and hispanics

When surveyed the Asians that were renting the apartments also overwhelmingly didn't want blacks and hispanics there. Why are you trying to force multiculturalism down their throats? How would these people benefit from blacks and hispanics being in their neighbourhood? Statistically, crime and unemployment would go up and their property values would plummet. What benefits would they see from this "cultural enrichment"?

Re:Racism or Thought Police? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178649)

It doesn't matter what you think about it, it's against the law to discriminate with housing. Period. He shouldn't have been doing it.

Re:Racism or Thought Police? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178697)

"One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Re:Racism or Thought Police? (2, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178807)

Yeah, but that is NOT why the team was sold, and in fact, had nothing at all to do with it. His ONLY crime was being recorded in a private conversation without his knowledge or consent. You're correct, it doesn't matter what you think about his personal opinions, but they are just that, his personal opinions which he was purposely baited into revealing.
If you're going to hold everyone to the same standard, which we should, have you ever said a negative thing about anyone to a close personal friend, in private, and had that friend secretly record you, where that view was not the popular view? If so, we should all be able to march into your life and take whatever we want without any compensation to you, because we don't agree with your view.

Re:Racism or Thought Police? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178791)

It wasn't a phone call, it was in person. But, while the recording was what brought his bigotry to public attention, what really matters are all his other public actions, like refusing to rent apartments to blacks and hispanics. It was only a matter of time before all his shit caught up with him.

Why? Everyone involved knew what Sterling was all about. Everyone knew he did these things for thirty years. They didn't care. Nobody. Not the league. Not the players. Not the coaches. Not the self-righteous pundits who had nothing bad to say about Sterling until the tape came out, even though they knew what a racist he was. Not the civil rights industrial complex. Nobody.

The NAACP knew that sterling refused to rent to blacks. They gave him a lifetime achievement award anyway. They were about to give him another one until this tape came out. If you think LeBron James cares any more about other black people than David Duke does you are delusional.

Oh. Did you know that the head of the White Aryan Movement and the head of the New Black Panthers are actually good friends? [youtube.com]

Re:Racism or Thought Police? (2)

Triklyn (2455072) | about 2 months ago | (#47178573)

not all of us... the most troubling aspects of the sterling case to me, has always been it's issues regarding "court of public opinion", confiscation of property, and privacy. I'm a damn liberal, but civil liberties are more important than that.

I say if sterling makes a windfall from this, it's karmic punishment for people thinking it's a good idea for him to be done so for why he was. Force him out for racism? only when he's caught DOING something racist. not just saying it at home.

Re:Racism or Thought Police? (3, Interesting)

blackraven14250 (902843) | about 2 months ago | (#47178829)

The definition of "ownership" when it comes to sports franchises varies, but basically Sterling doesn't own anything. According to the NBA's constitution, he doesn't even really own so much as the name - if the NBA terminates his ownership, the NBA immediately takes over the team and all its' assets (and has to provide the market value from the sale or liquidation of those assets). The NBA is structured more like a club, where when you join, you get a name under which you can conduct business, and have to share a bit of the profit with the club, and have to follow an extremely detailed set of rules on how to conduct that business.

Re:Racism or Thought Police? (3, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178673)

What happened to Sterling is the exact same thing as someone going into your house, reading your diary, and then getting offended at the content. And then trying to get you fired from your job over it.

Wut?? (4, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178275)

What an incredibly stupid thing to post on Slashdot. the ONLY link to technology is Ballmer's name.

Re:Wut?? (2)

Bigbutt (65939) | about 2 months ago | (#47178583)

Meh. The site changed from the implied "news for nerds who got beat up in school" to "news for anyone who geeks out about something" a while ago. I don't know why we don't see news about Electric Motorcycles.

[John]

Re:Wut?? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178753)

News for Wil Wheaton and that girl that looks like a camel.

It's just proof positive.... (2, Insightful)

i_want_you_to_throw_ (559379) | about 2 months ago | (#47178277)

that no matter what, ** SOMEONE ** is gonna bitch about ** SOMETHING ** no matter what happened. Can't please all the people all the time.

Re:It's just proof positive.... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178439)

TFA is not the proof, your post is the proof that someone is always going to bitch. TFA has a reasonable point, you on the other hand are just doing that passive aggressive thing of couching your disapproval of TFA's thesis with an argument that is really just a variation on the "when did you stop beating your wife" load question fallacy.

Re:It's just proof positive.... (2)

NotDrWho (3543773) | about 2 months ago | (#47178453)

In the age of the internet, bitching has become the number one export of western civilization.

Harder Idea - Shutter the team (0, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178295)

The NBA should cancel the team's franchise.
Cancel ALL the contracts of the players and put them into the draft pool.
The worst team could get Blake Griffin.
The Lakers would like to be the only team in town again.
Sterling gets NOTHING, the NBA would have to defend itself.
The other owners would not like the precedent of losing a franchise.
That would send a clear and harsh message.
Anything else is just decoration for the masses.

Re:Harder Idea - Shutter the team (3, Insightful)

fredprado (2569351) | about 2 months ago | (#47178463)

Sure. In your dystopic society where people can only think what you want them to think that is how things work. Fortunately in the real world things are not that bad, yet...

Re:Harder Idea - Shutter the team (5, Insightful)

flappinbooger (574405) | about 2 months ago | (#47178517)

bear in mind this man is guilty of nothing more than saying something politically incorrect within the privacy of his own house.

What happened here? 1984 much?

Re:Harder Idea - Shutter the team (1)

Richard_at_work (517087) | about 2 months ago | (#47178539)

How big of a court case would you like to have on your hands?

"for the masses"? (1)

justthinkit (954982) | about 2 months ago | (#47178541)

"for the masses"?

Ah, no. Unless there is a plan to divy up $2B that I don't know about.

Re:Harder Idea - Shutter the team (1)

MitchDev (2526834) | about 2 months ago | (#47178589)

No, he should have never been forced to sell the team at all.

nonsense (4, Insightful)

JeffSh (71237) | about 2 months ago | (#47178299)

Sterling never did anything illegal, he was just an old biggoted man. There exists no punishment society can inflict on him beyond personal actions like boycotting or just not liking him... So what gives? Why do people think that he can be robbed of an asset for being a biggot?

He has first amendment protections to be as big of a douchebag as he wants. His privacy was violated by his mistress and he was doing nothing illegal. The NBA has no grounds to force him out or deny him profit from the sale of an asset he shouldn't be forced to sell.

Re:nonsense (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178345)

There exists no punishment society can inflict on him beyond personal actions like boycotting or just not liking him... Why do people think that he can be robbed of an asset for being a biggot?

Because they're statist scum bags that are too cowardly to make sacrifices to abide by their morals. Anything beyond venting their frustration on Facebook is completely beyond them, and boycotting something they enjoy is completely unimaginable.

These people deserve the totalitarian state they're pushing for.

Re:nonsense (5, Insightful)

Threni (635302) | about 2 months ago | (#47178429)

Isn't `bring the game into disrepute` a reason? It's their rules...they can have any clause they like. He might not mind not caring what people think of his outdated mentality, but the sport suffers if people boycott it, or if it's embarrassing to have to admit you are involved with it, if for no other reason.

Re:nonsense (1)

fredprado (2569351) | about 2 months ago | (#47178501)

Sure they can, in the same way he can have his huge profit and end in the top of all this shit. Even though the thought police out there would want to have his head in a stake for thinking forbidden thoughts.

Progressivism is the current mainstream religion and we are getting closer and closer to the Holy Inquisition way of doing things.

Re:nonsense (-1, Offtopic)

drinkypoo (153816) | about 2 months ago | (#47178789)

Progressivism is the current mainstream religion and we are getting closer and closer to the Holy Inquisition way of doing things.

Uh what? The only kind of inquisition-like activity going on is on behalf of the other side, the conservative side. The progressives simply don't use those tactics, although sometimes conservatives use them while claiming to be progressive.

Re:nonsense (2, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178465)

Illegality only applies to what the government can do to him.
What the NBA can do to him is a matter of contract law.

But what society can do to him is pretty much arbitrary. This is all about society's judgment of him and that's fair - the value of the team is 100% a function of public approval. You didn't hear him complaining when public approval resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars of income for him so, live by the sword die by the sword.

Re:nonsense (1)

GameboyRMH (1153867) | about 2 months ago | (#47178613)

This.Banning him and thus forcing him to sell the team removes his involvement and future ability to profit from the team, and therefore the incentive for a boycott. Problem solved, move along...

This probably shouldn't be news... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178301)

...especially not on this site. Beyond the fact that mentioning "Steve Ballmer" sends certain IT industry people off the deep end, there's really nothing significant here. It just feels like a me-too article posted at the tail end of scandal...

Crusade against capitalism (0, Flamebait)

rodrigoandrade (713371) | about 2 months ago | (#47178307)

I'm pretty sick and tired of this crusade against capitalism all over the world, where anyone who makes a lot of money is either evil, unethical, or oppressive to his employees.

Then you have folks like Thomas Picketty who preach to the socialist choir, and writes all the shit the lefties wanna read. Nevermind he's a millionaire himself.

We need more Ron Pauls.

Re:Crusade against capitalism (2, Insightful)

drinkypoo (153816) | about 2 months ago | (#47178339)

I'm pretty sick and tired of this crusade against capitalism all over the world, where anyone who makes a lot of money is either evil, unethical, or oppressive to his employees.

And I'm sick of how statistically speaking, anyone who makes a lot of money is either evil, unethical, or oppressive to his employees.

Re:Crusade against capitalism (2)

fredprado (2569351) | about 2 months ago | (#47178515)

Not any more than you are, my friend, but it is easier to see the bad side of others whilst ignoring your own. I am pretty sure you wouldn't be able to satisfy the standards you want to enforce to the people you envy.

Re:Crusade against capitalism (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178639)

Maybe you are right, but it isn't about the measure of a person's soul, it is about measuring their impact on other people. Drinkypoo's ability to casually harm others is practically nil. Someone with employees can really screw them over without any consequences at all and because of that lack of consequences they often do. That's the nature of power.

Re:Crusade against capitalism (4, Insightful)

fredprado (2569351) | about 2 months ago | (#47178689)

Rich people are not "harming" anybody. Much on the contrary. Someone with employees is providing the employees jobs that otherwise wouldn't exist. He can "screw them over" and they can decide to go elsewhere. That is how a free society works.

On the other hand if you increase government powers, those same employees can be "screwed over" without any chance to defend themselves under the threat of force. And even worse this force can be bought by those rich guys.

So if you want to prevent damage from being done you should defend that governments should be as small as possible and that violence and coercion, which are the tools of any government, should be kept at a minimum.

Re:Crusade against capitalism (2)

drinkypoo (153816) | about 2 months ago | (#47178767)

Rich people are not "harming" anybody. Much on the contrary. Someone with employees is providing the employees jobs that otherwise wouldn't exist.

[citation needed]

On the other hand if you increase government powers

It's not the other hand. It's the same hand, because business runs government.

So if you want to prevent damage from being done you should defend that governments should be as small as possible

Corporations are running government, so your solution is less government, so that corporations can run everything without government.

My solution is less centralized government, so that people have control over their own destinies, but so that they still have control.

Re:Crusade against capitalism (1)

drinkypoo (153816) | about 2 months ago | (#47178715)

I am pretty sure you wouldn't be able to satisfy the standards you want to enforce to the people you envy.

I absolutely would, if a handful of greedy fucks hadn't made that impossible for their own profit.

Re:Crusade against capitalism (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178347)

I'm pretty sick and tired of it's fair enough that they are against crony capitalism, but it's not the only possible kind - I would prefer it if the arguments were more nuanced.

Re:Crusade against capitalism (3, Insightful)

fredprado (2569351) | about 2 months ago | (#47178521)

Crony capitalism only exists when there is a big government to buy. Even more, the bigger and stronger the government is the "cronier" capitalism becomes. The only real way to fight crony capitalism is by decreasing government size and scope.

Re:Crusade against capitalism (1)

drinkypoo (153816) | about 2 months ago | (#47178805)

Crony capitalism only exists when there is a big government to buy.

That is a staggeringly though not shockingly stupid thing [for you] to say. Collusion can exist in the absence of any government.

Re:Crusade against capitalism (2)

Threni (635302) | about 2 months ago | (#47178445)

> I'm pretty sick and tired

Have a lie down. And then see a doctor. And try and think of a reason other than sympathy towards your sorry plight for others to be interested in your opinions.

Re:Crusade against capitalism (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178489)

> I'm pretty sick and tired of this crusade against capitalism all over the world, where anyone who makes a lot of money is either evil, unethical, or oppressive to his employees.

I totally agree, it is really fucked up all those people being evil, unethical and oppressive to their employees. Why do we keep rewarding them with a lot of money?

Re:Crusade against capitalism (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178499)

Nevermind he's a millionaire himself.

And that's truly at the hart of the matter. A bunch of self-rightious hypocritical narcissistic assholes exemplifying the whole "Do as i say not as i do" idiom.

You see it every day around the world. A bunch of fucking wealthy elite that spew forth the same song and dance about wealth inequality, lack of education, healthcare, carbon footprint, and whatnot. Yet, these assholes are exempt from the very same policies they impose on others. There are two rules, one set for the elite, the other for everyone else. You're getting fucked! It's not about progressive or conservatism. It's about being a part of an exclusive wealthy club of power (forget money, it's about POWER). And as with most people in this world, you're not a part of it. So when a Republican fucks you in the ass, be sure to breath by pulling the Democratic cock out your mouth!

Re:Crusade against capitalism (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178603)

> And that's truly at the hart of the matter. A bunch of self-rightious hypocritical narcissistic assholes exemplifying the whole "Do as i say not as i do" idiom.

That's total bullshit. If you are poor you don't have any voice at all. All social progress short of violent revolution comes when enough of the powerful finally recognize the injustice done to the powerless.

Context please ! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178337)

This sounds like there is an interesting story, but I'm on the other side of the world and no nothing of basketball, what did he do/say ?

Re:Context please ! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178579)

On April 25, 2014, TMZ Sports released a recording of a conversation between Sterling and a female friend, V. Stiviano.[34][35] In the recording from September 2013, a man confirmed to be Sterling was irritated over a photo Stiviano had posted on Instagram, in which she posed with Basketball Hall of Fame player Magic Johnson.[34][36] Sterling told Stiviano: "It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people", and, "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want", but "the little I ask you is ... not to bring them to my games."[37][38][39]

What? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178349)

So, what was he supposed to do? Give the team away? They kicked him out of the league. The only way to get him out of the league is to force him to sell the team. The team is, apparently, worth $2 billion. Thus...

I think he's a racist asshole as much as the next guy but, seriously, what did anyone expect? He wasn't going to give the team away, that's for damn sure.

Donald Sterling planned this (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178353)

Donald Sterling planned this to find a way to avoid unecessary taxes. good on him.

The whole racist recording was a set up by him and his girlfriend, who also will gain from the sale.

Ads disabled? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178363)

Um, hi. I have "ads disabled" checked for excellent karma. Ads are _not_ disabled. They are very annoying and potentially malware laden. Please fix.

Re:Ads disabled? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178433)

I think this bug has existed for over two weeks now. It seems that the Slashdot administration is somewhat lazy...bugs are fixed slowly, and the article summaries sometimes contain glaring errors.

Clippers get a new mascot (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178367)

A dancing sweaty clown

Took us 30 years to fire this no talent ass clown from our company, all because employees rarely voted with their (heavily diluted) share awards, now MSFT is going to break $50 and bust $60 per share (assuming they don't further dilute it for more lame stock awards).

So he should lose everything because he's racist? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178369)

Seriously? Are you saying if you say the wrong thing, horrible as it may be, you should lose all your assets? 2 billion dollars worth? I'm fine with him having to sell his franchise as there are franchise rules he had to abide by, but they can't just take his money from him because he said something mean.

Re:So he should lose everything because he's racis (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178537)

Sure you can, if there are rules in place for penalizing you for being mean. And a person can agree to abide by those rules.

Absent those rules, you can also decline to enrich somebody, without taking everything from them, and Sterling's assets are not solely or entirely the LA Clippers, so that's a moot point. The NBA isn't concerning itself with those other assets.

Disable Advertising? (5, Informative)

ArcadeMan (2766669) | about 2 months ago | (#47178417)

More like "Ignore my checkbox to Disable Advertising". I'm still seeing banners at the top of the content and at the top of the right column.

Think harder Rick (5, Insightful)

PsyMan (2702529) | about 2 months ago | (#47178423)

'"It is hard to imagine any more heinous way of earning money than by benefiting from racism," ... Well, lets think, you could run a child prostitution ring, child slavery, people trafficking, run a pharmacutical firm/country that denies poorer people medicine or be a banker. Not hard to imagine at all. (not sure what the rest of the summary was about as I did not read it.

Re:Think harder Rick (2, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178523)

Also, I don't think he's "earning money than by benefiting from racism" (I realize that doesn't make grammatical sense). He's earning money off a basketball team which is comprised mostly (completely?) of black men while at the same time being a racist. He's actually making money because the majority of the operation isn't racist and has the best players it can get, who happen to be black. Making money from racism would be more akin to owning a golf course, and having a bunch of black caddies and paying them peanuts because they had no other options. Paying a bunch of people millions of dollars to play a sport and are treated as royal by their fans and the general public is hardly the worst thing somebody could do.

Re:Think harder Rick (2)

MitchDev (2526834) | about 2 months ago | (#47178641)

No kidding.

Grow some spine and some thicker skin America, you're turning into the wimps of the "free" world...

Re:Think harder Rick (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178761)

In this case, I think 'benefiting from racism' means that because of Sterling's racist statements the league is forcing him to sell his team and he will end up with a huge profit, so in some weird way his racism leads to a huge profit. Kind of like murdering someone leads to free room and board for life.

Re:Think harder Rick (2)

rogoshen1 (2922505) | about 2 months ago | (#47178775)

buh buh, if the team (and every other team in the entire NBA) is comprised almost entirely of black players, then the we need some kind of investigation on diversity, and how the NBA can make itself a more tolerant, and diverse organization.

We're sending a strong message to young white, asian, and hispanic children that they cannot be professional athletes, and in 2014 that's a travesty. I thought we were past this as a society.

If Jackson can do this to to Google, then perhaps in the interest of fairness the NBA could ask itself why they are so ... awfully monochromatic. (the majority/minority percentages are likely pretty close to identical)

Re:Think harder Rick (1)

koan (80826) | about 2 months ago | (#47178745)

With the last name "Cohen" hyperbole is expected.

Troll Cloud over Samzenpus (1)

oldhack (1037484) | about 2 months ago | (#47178461)

nt.

Look over here! I did something! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178471)

I couldn't care less if he bought the Vatican.

I said from the beginning... (1)

MitchDev (2526834) | about 2 months ago | (#47178549)

...that Sterling would be laughing all the way to the bank on this one, I'm happy for him.

The First Amendment may not apply to corporations (when it should apply to all that do business within the US), too bad he didn't get even more than 2 billion for the team...

Re:I said from the beginning... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178727)

This has nothing to do with the 1st amendment. That is only about being free of consequences from the government for your speech. Nobody in the government has pursued action against the guy for his speech here. But he did sign contracts with the NBA which included morals and ethics clauses the restricted him from speaking and acting in ways that brought disrepute on the league. [usatoday.com]

Or are you one of those people who think its OK to break contracts you sign to because free speech?

What, exactly, is expected here? (0)

drcagn (715012) | about 2 months ago | (#47178567)

Donald Sterling is a piece of shit but he owns the team. He's spent his money investing in the team (even if he's done a crappy job of it, since, well, forever), just because he's a racist bigot doesn't mean anyone should have the right to just take the team from him after he's put very large sums of money into it.

So, the NBA did the next best thing--they're going to force his hand to sell the team. And because he's being forced to sell the team, I see nothing wrong with him getting market value for it. Los Angeles has two teams, and Ballmer really wants to put a team in Seattle since douchebag deceiver Clayton Bennett moved the SuperSonics to Oklahoma City.

So,
1. The African American community can rejoice that a piece of shit racist is no longer there to profit from them, at least within the Clippers organization
2. The NBA avoids any further PR issues regarding Sterling and they can tout their commitment to diversity
3. Ballmer gets a team like he's wanted for quite some time now
4. The Seattle community will finally have a basketball team again
5. Sterling gets a good sum of money to stay the fuck away

I'm missing what exactly this guy wants to happen? What, is the NBA supposed to strip the team from him without compensation and give it to African Americans as a community-owned team or something? He was already suing for being forced to sell the team, yeah, I'm sure that'll go over well.

And if he is to be compensated, sure, the NBA could try to put a cap on the amount of money he gets paid (and this is also legally questionable), but if that's the case, how do we determine who gets the team if potential owners can't compete by being the highest bidder?

So what the fuck does this guy expect? This is the best possible legal outcome for all parties involved!

Re:What, exactly, is expected here? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178703)

Despite the fact that his girlfriend is of mixed race, a known gold digger, made racist comments herself, only released a snippet of an emotional recording after goading Sterling into a rage, and trying to profit from this whole affair, you seemed convinced that Donald Sterling is a piece of shit racist bigot.

It sounds like your more jealous of his success than actually knowing that he is a "piece of shit...bigoted racist". It is a shame it doesn't take much information for people like you to make up your mind.

Re:What, exactly, is expected here? (1)

drcagn (715012) | about 2 months ago | (#47178759)

Donald Sterling _is_ a piece of shit racist bigot. He has long had a history of being one prior to this whole situation. People who follow the NBA closely have known this for years. It's only now that this video has come out and gone viral that anyone feels like doing anything about it.

Jealous of his success? Where are you pulling this from? If I were jealous of his success wouldn't I be just as jealous of Ballmer? Or anyone else with money? And thus, wouldn't I agree with the article that seems to be on a crusade against people with money?

Re:What, exactly, is expected here? (1)

koan (80826) | about 2 months ago | (#47178733)

People like you are dangerous, I know you can't see it, but you're far worse than Sterling.

Re:What, exactly, is expected here? (1)

drcagn (715012) | about 2 months ago | (#47178779)

Would you care to explain yourself further? I'm an open minded person and if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. But you have to actually tell me why you disagree with me if you think I should see your perspective.

Re:What, exactly, is expected here? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178801)

The Seattle community will finally have a basketball team again - Nope

Plain and simple the team is worth 2 billion mostly because of the TV broadcast rights in LA. You will not see a TV contract that size in Seattle. Ballmer has even been talking about moving to LA. I see no way in hell the Clippers are moved from LA anywhere in the near future because of this

Re:What, exactly, is expected here? (1)

drcagn (715012) | about 2 months ago | (#47178857)

But they have to compete with the Lakers for eyeballs. The Clippers happen to be at a high point and the Lakers at a low point--that's the only reason why anyone in LA has been remotely interested in the Clippers lately. I honestly don't expect their value in LA to last that much longer once this era of the team is over. Maybe they'll wait until that time to move the team, but I expect it to happen sooner or later.

The injustice of it all... (1)

nam37 (517083) | about 2 months ago | (#47178607)

Will someone please think of the poor millionaire ball players? It's just not fair!

Lucky Ballmer , MSFT Quashed State Income Tax (1)

theodp (442580) | about 2 months ago | (#47178609)

Looks like spending $425k on lobbying to defeat the WA State income tax may have helped Ballmer save nearly $200 million on this $2B deal: Income Tax Quashed, Ballmer To Cash In Billions [slashdot.org]

Ballmer's been cheaped (2)

AgentSmith (69695) | about 2 months ago | (#47178635)

He spent 2.2 Billion just to have the opportunity to throw chairs in public again?

There are many things you can buy for 2.2 Billion. This is one of them.

Laugh (1)

koan (80826) | about 2 months ago | (#47178721)

It is hard to imagine any more heinous way of earning money than by benefiting from racism," writes Rick Cohen

I find the whole thing hilarious, all the old man said was "I don't want to be around or associated with blacks" to a woman who is on video as saying
"Blacks are stupid and crazy"
http://nypost.com/2014/06/01/s... [nypost.com]

Then the media circus is queued and he is "forced" to sell the team, winds up getting 2 billion tax free.

Racism never entered into it, if a person says "I don't want to be around those kinds of people" it isn't "racism" it's a personal preference.

My suggestion is that things went exactly the way Sterling wanted them to, and it's hilarious, the other option is that he was played to get the team out from under him.

Good Reason (1)

Jaysyn (203771) | about 2 months ago | (#47178749)

The signatures on the letter reads like a who's who of ISP industry presidents and CEOs, including AT&T's Randall Stephenson, Cox Communications' Patrick Esser, NCTA president (and former FCC commissioner) Michael Powell, Verizon's Lowell McAdam, and Comcast's Brian Roberts.

Case closed, we all know they know what's best for us, right?

Same old story (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 months ago | (#47178837)

I don't want to see anyone robbed of anything. But this just goes to show that not much has changed in this country. Sterling et al. believe they actually are superior to black people and black people are more like property than anything, no matter how much they get paid. $2 Billion goes a long way to confirming that belief. As do the comments to this story.
What surprised me is that people actually expected a different outcome. Did they forget where they were? The lesson here as usual: black people are simply not apart of the economic experience the same way white people are. It's going to take more than boycotting one owner and corrective attempts from one sports league to change that. Until that day comes, we're going to have this "welp, blacks shown their place once again".

ugh (1)

Charliemopps (1157495) | about 2 months ago | (#47178841)

I know slashdot loves to hate on the rich and all, but lets have some facts here.

This entire gripe seems to be based on the premise that he's filed as an "S Corporation" and therefor "It's not taxed! OMG!"

Well, that's not accurate.
From Wikipedia: [wikipedia.org]

In general, S corporations do not pay any federal income taxes. Instead, the corporation's income or losses are divided among and passed through to its shareholders. The shareholders must then report the income or loss on their own individual income tax returns.

He'll be paying taxes. It's just a matter of how and when.

Then there's the argument that he may win $1billion from the NBA during a lawsuit. Well good. This is the united states. He should be able to say what he wants no matter how stupid and offensive it is, then we should be able to boycott his business. The NBA may or may not have been right in what they did, I've no knowledge of the particulars of their contract. But that is exactly what this is, a contractual dispute.

Load More Comments
Slashdot Account

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Don't worry, we never post anything without your permission.

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>
Create a Slashdot Account

Loading...