Beta

Slashdot: News for Nerds

×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Quebec Cracks Down On Translated Videogames

simoniker posted more than 10 years ago | from the mais-oui dept.

PC Games (Games) 261

Thanks to VE3D for their story revealing that the Quebec government is cracking down on videogames without complete French-language packaging, meaning that game stores in Quebec are having to return or amend significant portions of their stock. The article says that "...the likes of Electronic Arts, Sony and Microsoft have been following this law for sometime, but everyone else has ignored it", and a game store worker on the Gaming-Age forums indicates stores "...can't sell anything that doesn't have a French cover", so this new enforcement means that "...the cover that says 'Only on Xbox' must read 'Seulement sur Xbox'."

cancel ×

261 comments

Jingoism? (1, Funny)

NickDngr (561211) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418313)

Call me a jingoist if you want, but French Canadians piss me off. Learn english for christ's sake!

Re:Jingoism? (1)

kernelistic (160323) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418430)

Vas te faire foutre. :)

Re:try again? (1)

Bastian (66383) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418502)

Va te fais fautre.

Re:try again? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418790)

He had it right. Your grammar is wrong. Putin.

Re:Jingoism? (0)

Programmer_In_Traini (566499) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418466)

The hell do you know about french canadian's situation ???

Nothing I would guess because most french canadians playing games know english enough to play games in english and prefer it that way.

Now blame our government if you want but don't put us all in the same bag.

Besides....asise using that as a lame excuse to post a lame comment, why do you care about that ? you don't live in Quebec apparently so you're not even affected by that.

As far as I know, you're not the one who's gonna have to shop on the internet instead of going to the store to get the game you want.

Re:Jingoism? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418619)

Now you listen here you coozed up gypsy.

The French Canadian frogs are such fucking idiots. From the prime idiot, cretin, as I call him, to these fucking French antics. The vocabulary in French sucks shit. It is like, lets know English, but use a language with less vocabulary to piss everyone off and make this more ambiguous and harder to say.

French frogs don't even have good wine and cheese like the real French.

They are below even having a greased up Yoda doll shoved up their asses.

The French frogs are basically shit. They have nothing. The losers get paid shit up there too. The socialist system is a huge burden on companies and innocent people, those who don't give a shit about subsidizing terrorists and just need to feed the family.

Now with this localized packaging, the game will cost more and the consumers may have less to pick from now.

French frogs are fucking idiots.

If any of you fuckheaded Canadian French pukes want to start up, go ahead, let me hear it, fuckers. Go ahead. I know your type. You self important asshole socialists. I know how you think. You fucks also let terrorist Arabs, terrorist Muslims in to your country and show them the way south. You wish your gay sado master was Jock Chirak, that's what I call him, you like it French take it in the ass motherfuckers.

The French frogs are losers, bathe less on average, have lower literacy rates, are lazy, stupid, and smell.

Re:Jingoism? (0)

Programmer_In_Traini (566499) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418826)

>>The vocabulary in French sucks shit. It is like, lets know English, but use a language with less vocabulary to piss everyone off and make this more ambiguous and harder to say

Well...U.S. english ain't exactly that good either compared to real english from UK. And if you ask me, I'd compare my french to a texan english.

>>French frogs don't even have good wine and cheese like the real French.

Like we care about wine & cheese the socio-democrats like so much.

>>The socialist system is a huge burden on companies and innocent people, those who don't give a shit about subsidizing terrorists and just need to feed the family

Yeah, like you know what the Socialist system is, I wonder if you even know what it means or if its just a word you learned from mommy in an overheard discussion with grown-ups

>>French frogs are fucking idiots ...and apparently we're doing it very well because the U.S. chicks I see from time to time don't seem to be complaining. We're they your Ex?

>>You self important asshole socialists

Oh yeah, and god knows we're the ones taking ourselves very seriously here heh ?

>>The French frogs are losers, bathe less on average, have lower literacy rates, are lazy, stupid, and smell

Yeah, we do get our of our pond from time to time to teach your a thing or two about literacy. Heh, I'm not even english and I just know I'd beat you in any writing contest. ....and then US folks gets pissed off because Canada doesn't want to associate itself with the US....and they don't understand why...... *sigh*

There's way too many of you not even trying to consider Canada/Quebec as an equal, you're way too busy promoting your own ego while electing asses like Bush who rules the world by the force of his army instead of using its brain once in a while.

Re:Jingoism? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418942)

Hahahahaha.

Got you, stupid.

YHBT YHL FOAD & HAND

Hahahahahha.

You replied to that. HAHAHAHA.

Parent is a flamebait (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418865)

Mod him down for christ sake ! This is simply insulting and racist.

Re:Parent is a flamebait (0)

Programmer_In_Traini (566499) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418928)

Amen to that,

actually, I should've acted the way you did instead of taking the bait but it was too tempting :)

Re:Parent is a flamebait (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418986)

Hahaha. look at you. Look at you. Feverishly monitoring the thread. Hahaha.

And about not being able to control yourself, is that what you say to you gay lover when you spooge too early?
Loser In Training: I should have held out longer but I find your wet ass hairs slimed onto my cock way too temping!

Your UID reeks of n00b too, you are probably 13 and homosexual.

Does that work with porn also? (1)

Neck_of_the_Woods (305788) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418317)

Donnez-moi un certain bebe chaud d'amour de horney!!!

Frech ASSHOLES!!! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418323)

Typical of the French. Even French Canadian...anyone of even remotely French stock is an ARROGANT PRICK!!!! fpPPPP

Re:Frech ASSHOLES!!! (1)

mausmalone (594185) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418464)

I am from a French Canadian family and I take a mild bit of offense to that (but hear it so often that it kinda rolls off by now). My family is full of kind generous people who are outgoing and friendly. In my experience, people in Quebec are very friendly and appropriately humble (or at least not arrogant). I find that the French traditionalists in the Quebec government tend to be arrogant pricks, much like a wide range of politicians are arrogant pricks.

But back on topic... I may be an uneducated American on this one, but I thought that the regulations insised on bi-lingual packaging, with the french more predominantly displayed. Even still, would I be barred from selling Japanese imports in a game store if I worked there? Is there a fine for breaking this regulation? I understand that Quebec wants to maintain its heritage, but outside of the city of Quebec, English is the main spoken language, right? Are there many French Canadians left who aren't bi-lingual? Just some ramblings to mull over.

Re:Frech ASSHOLES!!! (1)

ryants (310088) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418723)

Even still, would I be barred from selling Japanese imports in a game store if I worked there?
Probably. Even in Chinatown, where the store owners are Chinese and the clientelle is almost 100% Chinese, all signs must predominantly be in French.
Is there a fine for breaking this regulation?
Yes, and possible jail time.
but outside of the city of Quebec, English is the main spoken language, right?
Quebec is a city and a province. Outside the province of Quebec, which is 25% of the population of Canada, there are significant French speaking minorities in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, parts of Ontario, and that's about it.
Are there many French Canadians left who aren't bi-lingual?
Not many, but some.

Hope that helps.

Fu(K the French (-1, Flamebait)

gumbysworld (470849) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418743)

Fu(K the French

Arrogance (0, Flamebait)

JohnFluxx (413620) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418333)

And the french wonder why they are called arrogant.

It makes me wonder what the reasons behind this are.

Re:Learn some geography. (1)

Bastian (66383) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418403)

Quebec, being in Canada, has an entire ocean and a huge chunk of North America between itself and France.

Re:Arrogance (4, Insightful)

mmcdouga (459816) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418467)

It makes me wonder what the reasons behind this are.

Quebec is the only French speaking state or province in North America. The 5 million French speakers in Quebec are surrounded by 300+ million English speakers in Canada and the US. People in Quebec worry that French will disappear in a generation, making Quebec just another English speaking part of North America and losing (or at least muting) a distict culture. So they pass laws encouraging the use of French (the law in question here applies to much more than video game sales). Personally, I think their fears of being assimilated are understandable.

Re:Arrogance (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418526)

"Fears of being assimilated" == "Fears of your children doing what they want instead of being like you"

Re:Arrogance (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418556)

I understand the whole 'fears of assimilation' thing, but I think maybe they should focus on battles they can win (with their French heiritage that might mean no battles at all, ever but never mind). They are essentially stuck between two mammoth English speaking populations. It is only logical that they will eventually be assimilated. No doubt the proliferation of English on the web doesn't help. The thing is, they're part of Canada, which is predominantly English-speaking. If you really have to speak French, go to France. There's no point to sticking out a conflict that can't be won and which will only engender bitterness on both sides.

Re:Arrogance (2, Insightful)

CaptMonkeyDLuffy (623905) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418668)

Well, the thing is moving to France isn't an option.

Not simply in the sense that uprooting yourself and moving to a different country is a difficult, and in some senses risky, proposition. Rather, French as spoken in Canada, and French as spoken in France are such different 'dialects' that they border on speaking different languages...

At least, that's what my obsessed with linguistics, raised on the Canadian border, lived a few years in France fiance says on the matter... And given that she speaks both Quebecois French, and actual French, I'd say she's probably right.

Re:Arrogance (1)

Quikah (14419) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418919)

Fear not, you are not alone. Louisiana has a fairly sizeable population of french speakers. Good food too. I don't know if there are any similar laws in french speaking areas of Louisiana.

Re:Arrogance (1)

Drakin (415182) | more than 10 years ago | (#7419006)

No, they're not passing laws encouraging the use of french.

They're passing laws restricting the use of any other language.

Mind boggling (1)

Lead Butthead (321013) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418344)

It boggles my mind how something like this can pass as laws... oh wait, on this side of the border we have DMCA...

In other news... (2, Funny)

foooo (634898) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418345)

The Canadians have silly regulations.

More obvious news later today. Stay tuned.

~foooo

Re:In other news... (1)

drfrog (145882) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418912)

lol , not as silly as your U.S.A.'s right wing government 'elections' that somehow appoint presidents, or judicial systems which can be bought out if you have enough money

no silly laws like being able to understand/ read in your own native language , yah those are silly

Re:In other news... (1)

jo42 (227475) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418999)


Just wait until Spanish is the second official language of the US of A (instead of being the un-official second language). Of course, around the Toronto and Vancouver areas, the second most spoken language is Chinese...

~fubar~snafu~fu u~

Native American Succession ruled out by Quebecers (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418369)

Remember, folks, that the same French Quebecers who want to succeed from Canada so that they have less interference running their French-style corrupt Huey Long type policies, immediately rulled out any possibility that the Native American areas of Quebec might in turn withdraw from them.

Like all Francophone countries, Quebec is hypocritical and corrupt. It's time for Canada to finish the job the Redcoats started, and ship the rest of the Quebecers off to Louisianna. Oh wait, the US doesn't want them. Maybe a country even more corrupt than the Sepratist movement can be located, so that they can have a good influence somewhere in the world ? Vietnam ? No, the French thoroughly corrupted that place already. Well, maybe with the advance of global warming they can be re-located to that northern peninsula of the Antartic. Or even if global warming doesn't happen.

Re:Native American Succession ruled out by Quebece (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418483)

It's time for Canada to finish the job the Redcoats started, and ship the rest of the Quebecers off to Louisianna. Oh wait, the US doesn't want them.

I dunno -- more Cajuns seems like a great idea! Maybe the Qubecois could be put to use shooting nutrias.

(Highlight of my class last night: Chinese student had to read optimization problem out loud, got to "Bobby Thibodeaux's barber shop..." and nearly choked trying to say "Thibodeaux". What, they didn't teach you about Cajun names in ESL class in Fujian?

Slashdotted deja! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418393)

Pigeon, un Quebecen (oui et non?), faites-moi savoir que des jeux qui ne comportent pas des sections de Francais-langue en manuels de langue anglaise sont tires des etageres de magasin aussi bien que les jeux qui ne sont pas disponibles en anglais si une version francaise est disponible.

Le pigeon a fourni cette traduction de loi:

Ce sont les sections de la loi 101 au sujet du logiciel:

N'importe quelle inscription sur un produit, sur son contenu ou sur son empaquetage, sur un document ou un objet accompagnant le produit comprenant le manuel d'instruction, certificats de garantie doit etre ecrite en francais.
[ cet article ] inclut egalement, examinant l'article 91, qu'aucune inscription ecrite dans une autre langue ne peut regner au-dessus de l'inscription ecrite en francais.
Le manuel d'instruction et la documentation se sont relies a un ordinateur vendu dans un magasin doivent en francais, la meme chose pour le logiciel.
N'importe quel logiciel, y compris le logiciel d'exploitation ou les utilites, qui est installe ou pas, doit etre disponible en francais, a moins qu'il n'y ait aucune version francaise qui existe.
Sont interdits sur le marche du Quebec les jouets et les jeux, [... ], que le fonctionnement exige un vocabulaire autre que le Francais a moins que ce le jouet ou le jeu ne soit pas disponible en francais en conditions comme favorable.
Les fines pour les magasins qui n'obeiront pas la loi est de 250$ au Canadien 7000$ selon le cas.
Il a continue pour dire que les gouts des arts electroniques, du Sony et du Microsoft avaient suivi cette loi pendant quelque temps, mais chacun l'a ignoree autrement.
Ainsi, vraisemblablement, la loi maintenant est imposee causant la rupture pour des magasins, des clients et des editeurs.
Beaucoup de grace au pigeon de cela.

Quite right (1, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418399)

What the hell were these companies thinking foisting their illegible wares on the poor consumers of Quebec. Can you imagine the uproar if Sony refused to translate their Japanese game covers into English for we here in America? How would we know what to buy? Take THAT corporate scumbags.

Re:Quite right (1, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418610)

Are you kidding? Gamers would eat that shit up.

Re:Quite right (1)

Blob Pet (86206) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418620)

Except that in the US, I can go into an ethnic shop and find perfectly legal items with foreign-language labels. Even if there's an "uproar" no one's going to ban it unless the labelling is actually misleading. This isn't about protecting "poor consumers". It's about people trying to keep a hold of language they fear is dying. As Mr. T might say, I pity the fools.

Quite wrong (2, Insightful)

Rayonic (462789) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418700)

You know, if Sony et al. decided not to translate their game covers to English for U.S. release, you know what would happen? No one would buy them. Thus any respectable profit-driven company would quickly recify the situation.

Bingo, problem solved -- without adding more bureaucracy to the system. "Take THAT" indeed.

Est-ce que c'est serieux? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418427)

Hmm ne savent pas d'ou il a tire ceci mais a moins qu'ils vraiment aillent imposer ceci qui commence maintenant (je n'ont entendu parler d'aucune de ceci dans les nouvelles) ceci soit de vieilles nouvelles, eh. Les manuels traduits sont toujours crap illisible et je finis vers le haut de lire l'anglais de toute facon, eh. Si les degagements de jeux commencent a obtenir retardes autour ici pour cette raison me jurez que je vais postal, eh.

Re:Est-ce que c'est serieux? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418913)

Write your comment in English next time. Your google translation is risible.

good move. (1, Insightful)

musikit (716987) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418448)

if the games aren't on the shelf obviously they wont sell.

this will force more company to actually complete the localization process. a good move as far as i'm concerned.

Jesus. (1)

Justen (517232) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418451)

It's funny that the anglophones call the francophones arrogant for asking that products in the francophone markets be, well, francophone.

The bottom line is that it isn't just a good policy to translate the game and its packaging, it's a smart business move. The more people that can actually read and understand the packaging, potentially, counts as more people who might buy it.

justen

Re:Yeah but... (2, Insightful)

ERJ (600451) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418500)

If it is in the companies best interest, it should be the company that does it to protect their interests. If it does not effect the companies bottom line, why should they be forced to do it? The government should not enforce it, free markets should.

However, I am not from Canada, so I really have no say in such a matter.

Re:Jesus. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418622)

> It's funny that the anglophones call the francophones arrogant for asking that products in the francophone markets be, well, francophone.

No, we call them arrogant for making that the law of the land.

Re:Jesus. (1)

vitaflo (20507) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418636)

The bottom line is that it isn't just a good policy to translate the game and its packaging, it's a smart business move. The more people that can actually read and understand the packaging, potentially, counts as more people who might buy it.

This doesn't explain why every Japanese game has english printed on it, and yet, the Japanese buy more games that almost any other country.

Re:Jesus. (1)

gl4ss (559668) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418736)

because it's cool.

have you read those things that are on those packages?? most of the time it's just the name of the character or the game, and the rest is in japanese.

heck, you can't play those games without knowing japanese either(you can try though, and some like ikaragua are quite playable) so it's little point for there to be any english text there except for coolness sake.

anyways, just few of the biggest games get published with finnish text on the covers(anyways, i think the store should then be helpful on what reads on the packaging should the customer not know english), yet for most products(like games) a finnish explanation is very well in order, and i think canada is a big enough sales area for them to decide that they want the games to be described in official languages of their choosing(finland really isn't).

Re:Jesus. (1)

vitaflo (20507) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418880)

have you read those things that are on those packages?? most of the time it's just the name of the character or the game, and the rest is in japanese.

It can be a combination of things (title, subtitle, system, characters). To be fair though, Xbox games in Japan do say "Only on Xbox" on them, in english.

Then again, the xbox is selling like crap so perhaps these Quebec people have a point.

Walk a mile in Montreal shoes before posting. (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418690)

Have you lived in Montreal? I've lived there, and have good friends who were born and lived there 20+ years. We don't speak french. There's no need to. I mean, sure, I could learn and converse with the sam people I speak to now, but in a different language. But calling Montreal a Francophone market is ridiculous. Freedom to choose, not laws to coerce.

If it made business sense in such a competitive industry, EA/Sony/MS/Nintendo would be doing it anyways. But they don't. They do it, reluctantly, because the large companies do not want to be branded as not conforming to the laws (bad PR). Before the laws, I assure you that no large game publishers were losing sales in Quebec because of english packaging.

Re:Jesus. (3, Interesting)

Bastian (66383) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418709)

While this is true, the problem doesn't seem to be products that have their packaging written entirely in English so much as products whose packaging is in some amalgam of English and French.

I can understand why Quebec might want to pass a law agains this - prevention of dilution of the language an' all that. Actually, not really dilution of the language - as one of the most spoken languages in the world, French is hardly in any danger of disappearing from the face of the earth. I think the Quebequois are worried that their kids will just start speaking English, which would be a major step toward their disappearance as a distinct ethnic group.

But still, I see two problems with this law other than the knee-jerk "stupid foreigners rejecting the God-Given language of the American People" reaction a lot of folks seem to be spouting on this subject.

First - Does it outlaw a shopkeeper selling imported products which were never meant to be marketed in Quebec in the first place? (I'm thinking video games that haven't been translated into French.)

Second, it seems like it could discourage commerce in Quebec. Requiring 100% of a product's packaging, even the small stuff that doesn't matter like an Official Nintendo Seal of Quality or somesuch, is increasing the bottom line for companies that wish to market products in Quebec, and might succeed in causing some products to simply not be sold there. Here I'm primarily thinking stuff that won't be sold outside of Canada or North America, where the french-speaking population is small enough to make such an increase in bottom line really matter.

Re:Jesus. (1)

msuzio (3104) | more than 10 years ago | (#7419004)

> I think the Quebequois are worried that their
> kids will just start speaking English, which
> would be a major step toward their
> disappearance as a distinct ethnic group.

Good.

Not because I hate French-Canadians, but because I hate distinctions between people. The less reasons we have to hate each other for being different, the better off the world will be. We need to start seeing ourselves as "human" much less than "Japanese", "European", etc.

Oh, and I'll note that I'm Italian-American, I speak English, know a little Italian, but I still have quite an attachment to my heritage without a fear of being integrated into America too.

Re:Jesus. (1)

Justen (517232) | more than 10 years ago | (#7419053)

So who gets to decide what culture we should all be amalgamated into?

At the risk of veering further off-topic:

We shouldn't try to make our differences disappear, we should try to respect them.

It isn't just a warm and fuzzy statement, it's a reality that would make this world a much better place to live in. In the meantime, however, game companies should be respecting the cultural and linguistic differences in the markets which they hope to sell their game in. If they can't respect those differences, and adhere to those laws, then they shouldn't (and won't) be able to sell the products there.

justen

Re:Jesus. (1, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418735)

> The more people that can actually read and understand the packaging, potentially, counts as more people who might buy it.

Unfortunately, that has almost nothing to do with it. At least not in Quebec. How many French Canadians, with gaming systems, do you think there are who only speak French? My guess, about 3. And even for those 3 it's really their kids gaming system.

The reality is that almost everybody there is bi-lingual. And the only reason young people know French at all is that it's been forced on them by schools, government, and maybe parents. They watch English TV, English movies, and play games with English sound. Oh, but wait, now they can buy them with French packaging. Whoopdeedoo.

You can bet that if those Flagrantly English packaged gaming companies thought it would help sales then they'd change the package. You can also bet that if there were truly a demand for French Packages then there wouldn't need to be a law.

This is just another in the long line of examples of French being forced upon the population where it's not wanted or needed.

Imagine if everybody in Hawaii were forced to learn native Hawaiian in order to preserve the culture. "Hey I can speak Hawaiian!"

-"Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Do we have to label everything that way now?"

"Yes because Hawaiian is cool! Who cares that we all speak English. Who cares that the people aren't behind it. [Insert Government dogma-speak in Hawaiian]!!! "


Ridiculous.

They are not asking... (1)

DAldredge (2353) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418964)

It is not asking, it the guys with guns forcing you to do it.

Re:Jesus. (0)

wanderers_id (682230) | more than 10 years ago | (#7419022)

What does this have to do with jesus, you insensitive clod?!

Help me with my cause. (1, Offtopic)

scumbucket (680352) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418458)

I have recently become a member of a couple of organisations dedicated to causes that I am interested in - Amnesty International, and an environmental group with a very realistic and practical approach to protecting the environment.

I was motivated to do so because of the influence of money in politics. I decided that, if business interests are going to use money to influence political outcomes and marginalise the power of my vote, I had better fight fire with fire and put some of my own money into the mix to fight for what I believe in. I therefore tried to select groups who will use the money to maximum effect whilst still maintaining the ideals I want to support.

Really, this is quite a depressing situation. I feel like I shouldn't have to pay to have my views expressed, but when there are oil companies and anti-abortion religious extremists and weapons manufacturers and drug companies all pouring money into buying political influence it is not going to do much good to refuse to participate on the basis of principle. Recently, however, I've started to belive that it's possible that the only way to beat those who seek to corrupt the political process to serve their own interests is to get down in the mud and fight them with their own tactics and weapons - money, and to a lesser extent media spin and hidden influence of public figures. I think it is possible to do this and still maintain the moral high ground, because the 'interest' I wish to protect and serve is not financial, nor will it benefit me more than anyone else.

It's a dangerous path to take, though. There are so many examples of people who were once idealistic, decided they had to be in the game in order to win it, and ended up caring about the insider dealing and their personal interests more than the ideals they originally sought to champion. They say "anyone who isn't a communist when they're 20 is a coward; anyone who's still a communist when their 40 is an idiot," but to me that is just a lame justification for the tendency people have to lose sight of their higher aims and ideals and focus entirely on their own circumstances. I think that it's the person who is 40 and who has lost all of their idealism who is the coward and the idiot, not the person with the courage to still believe in something better and to fight for it.

www.amnesty.org

Re:Help me with my cause. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418685)

F U moron.. I just found a reason to HATE YOUR CAUSE!

Who cares? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418462)

Not like anyone wants to see stuck up Quebecans in our games anyhow, eh.

Again (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418469)

A while back here in Quebec, they went after movies. Some big movies were not released because all movies MUST come out in french at the same time.

I find all of this sad really. I go see french movies all the time. I never stamp my foot and demand it be in English.

They pass these laws because they are afraid English will win and absorb them. English will win no matter what they do. Silly laws or no.

I wonder if these french law makers have ever been to a China town? Do they seem absorbed to anyone?

Re:Again (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418785)

have you ever tried to go see a French (european or canadian) movie in Toronto?

The selection and the run-times are dismal, lemme tell ya.

Get this out of the way (3, Funny)

gmhowell (26755) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418471)

"Canada sucks"
"US sucks more"
"We're Americans too"
"France sucks"
"Drug costs"

Have I missed anything?

Re:Get this out of the way (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418751)

"Zee hate de Quebecois too, you know. Don't zee lumping us in."

Ah... French Canada! (4, Funny)

mcSey921 (230169) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418472)

All the rudeness, none of the scenery. /me ducks.

I don't get this bolded part (1)

JRootabega (620750) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418488)

"Pigeon, a Quebecen (oui et non?), let me know that games that don't feature French-language sections in English-language manuals are being pulled from shop shelves as well as games that aren't available in English if a French version is available." I have no clue what that means. Is it just me?

Re:I don't get this bolded part (1)

gamgee5273 (410326) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418618)

Canada, by law, is bilingual. French and English have to be treated the same and the packaging has to carry both languages.

It reads like, from what I can tell, that there may be French-only items with no English translation that are being pulled.

Re:I don't get this bolded part (2, Informative)

mahart (177794) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418763)

French and English have to be treated the same
Quebec also has a law stating if there is French and English on a sign, THE FRENCH TEXT MUST BE TWICE AS LARGE! Does that not sound ridiculous?

Re:Human rights? (1)

Sartory (655497) | more than 10 years ago | (#7419003)

not twice as large, just larger (signs must have predominant french)

francophones do account for 80% of the population in quebec after all

The real news to me... (0, Offtopic)

GoofyBoy (44399) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418492)

... is that VoodooExtreme is now part of IGN.

What ever happened to that Wilson chap?

Sigh (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418499)

Please, all you guys who are French-bashing on this article, please stop because its quite obvious that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and you sound like idiots. Go eat your Freedom Fries or what the fuck you call them now...

Lost cause (0, Flamebait)

endrek (547737) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418501)

I think somethinggs wrong when france has way fewer language laws than quebec, where its only one of two official languages. Hell, a few years ago france made the language its airspace english. Meanwhile now you can't even sell video games in quebec that aren't in french boxes. When their motherland is less restrictive and more open than they are, and they're merely an offshoot, one wonders why bother. This all seems so silly and facsist

Not a big deal (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418513)

I can't imagine this is a big deal. Most videogames are terribly violent and the Frogs have shown time and time again that they are deathly afraid of war and getting hurt. Actually, I'm stunned to learn that Frenchies even play videogames other than Tetris, The Smurf's Go Sailing, and Barbie's Interactive Play Dress-Up Adventure.

God, I love Quebec. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418517)

It's always nice to have a group of people so close by that you can always dump on, because they are so damn annoying.

C'mon people, this isn't a surprise. Le Quebecoise are still smarting from the last election. They're doing everything to piss off Anglophones.

Move on, nothing to see here...

nothing new for quebec (3, Interesting)

Blob Pet (86206) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418544)

This has been a problem for a while now for merchants in Quebec, and there have been numerous stories [www.sfu.ca] . What gets me is that even if you only speak English, your signs and advertising still have to have French in it. Just silly.

The background story: (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418560)

- Nous demandons le droite parler francais!

- But you already have the right to speak french.

- Tu ne peut pas me decevoir! Laisse-nous parler francais!

(It goes like this for a few decades.)

Tabarnack!!! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418566)

Zut alors!

Re: Zut alors! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418645)

Mon cafe est froid!

Quit whining... (4, Insightful)

gamgee5273 (410326) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418580)

...and I mean the posters, not the Quebecois!

I'm not going to defend the status quo in Quebec or the shaky relationship they have with the rest of Canada. Those struggles are up to the the Canadians to figure out.

HOWEVER, I will defend the right of the Quebecois government to uphold their laws and the laws of Canada. Those laws were put in place for a reason, a legitimate reason, and, being an American who lives in Detroit and travels to Canada (including Montreal) quite frequently, I think it is an imperfect, but workable, solution to the social and cultural issues Canada faces.

As for the software publishers:

Everyone else can translate their packages for the Canadian market. You can, too. It just isn't that hard of an undertaking. My suggestion is that the publishers take a hint from many of the DVDs sold in Canada: use reversible cover inserts in the keep cases. One side is Canadian English, one is Quebecois French.

Re:Quit whining... (1, Troll)

Violet Null (452694) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418724)

HOWEVER, I will defend the right of the Quebecois government to uphold their laws and the laws of Canada. Those laws were put in place for a reason, a legitimate reason, and, being an American who lives in Detroit and travels to Canada (including Montreal) quite frequently, I think it is an imperfect, but workable, solution to the social and cultural issues Canada faces.

Remember, kids: The Government is always right, and complaining about laws is unpatriotic and shows that you may be a terrorist! Obviously, if a law were stupid, the Government wouldn't have made it into a law, because the Government never does anything wrong. QED.

Re:Quit whining... (1)

Rayonic (462789) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418778)

I think it is an imperfect, but workable, solution to the social and cultural issues Canada faces.
Wait, which social and cultural issues? Because, you know, societies and cultures change all the time. At least living ones do.

It's not whining, follow the money to see why (3, Interesting)

Andy_R (114137) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418834)

The problem is that this is a cynical anti-competitive law, designed to make it difficult for other countries to sell products into Quebec.

There clearly is a market for English-only products, or they wouldn't be on the shelves. The removal of these games harms the consumer who can't buy them and the games company who is losing a sale.

The only beneficiary of this restriction on free trade is the Quebec economy.

french canadian (1)

glassesmonkey (684291) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418584)

Please.. don't say things about 'and you wonder why we don't like the french'.. The people of france don't like people from Quebec either. They are our equivalent of the Deliverance movie.

Anyways, on a real note, the law is FRENCH must be 2x larger writing than english on all signs (and I'm assuming video games cases)

tsarkon reports greased up bullshit this is (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418592)

The French Canadian frogs are such fucking idiots. From the prime idiot, cretin, as I call him, to these fucking French antics. The vocabulary in French sucks shit. It is like, lets know English, but use a language with less vocabulary to piss everyone off and make this more ambiguous and harder to say.

French frogs don't even have good wine and cheese like the real French.

They are below even having a greased up Yoda doll shoved up their asses.

The French frogs are basically shit. They have nothing. The losers get paid shit up there too. The socialist system is a huge burden on companies and innocent people, those who don't give a shit about subsidizing terrorists and just need to feed the family.

Now with this localized packaging, the game will cost more and the consumers may have less to pick from now.

French frogs are fucking idiots.

If any of you fuckheaded Canadian French pukes want to start up, go ahead, let me hear it, fuckers. Go ahead. I know your type. You self important asshole socialists. I know how you think. You fucks also let terrorist Arabs, terrorist Muslims in to your country and show them the way south. You wish your gay sado master was Jock Chirak, that's what I call him, you like it French take it in the ass motherfuckers.

The French frogs are losers, bathe less on average, have lower literacy rates, are lazy, stupid, and smell.

said... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418824)

the anonymous *coward*.

Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'encule de ta mere.

I like wiping my ass with silk, too.

Re:said... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418959)

Come here little frenchie frenchie frenchi!

I need a bidet. Lick my anus for me. Lick it good. I'll let you keep the tip - the tip of the shitberg that is.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

You are so good at takin the bait, BITCH.

Games will still be "available" (1)

gearheadsmp (569823) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418602)

Game not available because the Frogs cleaned out the local gamestore for not complying with their language policies? Look no further than broadband my friend! PC, PS2, Xbox, and GBA games - all in English/Engrish [engrish.com] . Be sure to tell the local Quebec politicos that they're losing money because of language bias. Meanwhile, in the US, businesses can sell stuff in whatever langauge they want.

Re:Games will still be "available" (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418733)

That's their choice---enforce a silly policy for some silly justification. When the company I used to work for was expanding into Canada, we looked at the cost/benefit ratio of opening a few stores in Quebec, priced the requirement of translating/repackaging all of the product and decided to open the stores elswhere.

Meh. (1)

American AC in Paris (230456) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418697)

Quebec can eat me. Stupid bilingual state...
Le Quebec peut me manger. Etat bilingue stupide...

Re:Meh. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418925)

Quebec is not officially bilingual, its officially French. New Brunswick is the only province that is actually bilingual.

stickers (1)

herrvinny (698679) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418725)

Then just write the French translation onto the boxes, or better yet, print up a bunch of stickers and slap them on.

That should be (1, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418732)

"Seulement sur XBoite".

Which French... (1)

CaptMonkeyDLuffy (623905) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418759)

Well, I know from people who can speak the languages, that there is a real significant difference between Quebecois French, and 'true' French. Such a big difference that many people raised speaking one of them cannot understand the other. In other words, dialects that vary enough they border on being different languages in some senses...

Now, these differences are a combination of pronunciation, slang, and legitimate vocabulary. My question is, are the two dialects, in their written forms, similar enough to get by with a single French translation for a video game? If not, then I really see the silly language laws biting them on the ass in Quebec, since their market is a tad small to justify a translation, and 'true' French translations possibly not being entirely 'legible...'

Anyone here know enough about the two dialects to comment on the differences between them, and whether a single translation would suffice?

Re:Which French... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418864)

As a native French speaker born and living in Quebec, I think I'm well-placed to answer your question :) Written French is very similar for both Quebec and France, so a global translation can definitely be done. Think of the difference here as the difference in English between the US and UK: while some expressions are different, and the spoken language doesn't quite sound the same, people are able to understand each other easily anyway. It's the same thing in Quebec: I've spoken to many people from France, and I never had any problems understanding them.

The largest gaps are from local expressions, some ways to turn sentences, and some extreme accents (which aren't often encountered).

NFW! (1)

ninjadroid (622900) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418776)

This concept boggles my brain. I don't have any contempt for the government of Quebec, but the fact that there are at least 2.5 million people (assuming a majority of Quebec citizens support the law) who think that a law requiring media/art to speak a certain language is reasonable scares me a wee bit. Am I alone in this? This runs somewhat parallel to the vehemence I observe here in the states toward the proliferation of Spanish; some people talk of legislating it out of existence. Stuff like this makes it difficult for me to have faith in humanity. It also reminds me that the source of 99.999% of all our woes stem not from bad policy or legislation or other societal mechanisms which could be altered like any other piece of machinery, but from a vast majority of, IMHO, warped individuals.

Going against my better nature (1)

Txiasaeia (581598) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418796)

Okay. Usually I'd be the first one to argue against localisation of games, as I fully believe that entertainment should be experienced in the original language (this includes anime, films, and yes, even books if you can swing it.)

However, so many video games have such shaky audio dialogue that there's really no point in keeping the original. Might as well dub the entire game.

Menus are no problems. Any idiot can figure out what "save" and "load" are in French.

The only problem I see with this law is games such as Daggerfall and Morrowind. Imagine translating *every* single line of text from these games from English to French! How many thousands of scraps of books are there in the game? This was a daunting task in English, let alone for a translator.

If these laws mean that games like Morrowind cannot be sold in Quebec, then these laws suck. It's a lot easier for a Quebecois youth to learn English to play a game than it is for me to learn Japanese to watch anime or Spanish to read _Don_Quixote_ (ah, the time in my youth!)

Re:Going against my better nature (1)

btk667 (722104) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418931)

Has anybody of you though that whats is going on in Quebec is similar to what is happening with Spanish and english ? Don't you have law that protect english ?.. Yeah and USA have 300 more million people..

In Soviet Russia (-1, Troll)

adamshelley (441935) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418807)

they don't speak french.... anyways... is the quebec market really that big? Just cut them off. If they want their games they'll have to be reasonable. The games UI's aren't going to be in french so anyone who wants to play is already going to have to know english. Whats the deal huh? No wonder BC wants to separate :)

Go to Quebec... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7418825)

If you want to experienc xenophobia and fascism, that's the place to go.

Quebec vs Canada (1)

LordZardoz (155141) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418846)

Quebec is one of the harder to understand parts of Canada because of the French bit.

Quebec's nationalists are of the opinion that their culture is eroding because of the diminishing prevalence of French. To them, the language essentially is the culture, and if their own citizens do not use the language, then they are culturally screwed. Aside from the language, the only thing that Quebec has to set it apart from the rest of Canada is a vague reputation of flagrantly indulging in social substance abuse (heavier incidence of smoking, drinking and drugs).

And so they try to preserve their culture through arbitrary legislation. And like the RIAA suing its users, it wont really accomplish too much in the long run. You cannot protect a culture by passing laws that punish those who do not participate in it. And you cannot protect a failing buisiness model by going to court to attack your customers.

For Quebec culture to mean something, it must have an audience to appreciate it. If it has no audience, then it has no purpose.

The proof in this is that every province in Canada that is not Quebec does not particularly care for their whining.

END COMMUNICATION

All packs written in French cause a problem (1)

Carmelia (718891) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418860)

Because if I want to buy the English version of a game, I can hardly tell which box has the English version in it because both versions have boxes written in both languages (predominantly French)...

I've been had a couple of times

absurd (1)

Terminal Saint (668751) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418917)

This has struck me as borderline insane for quite some time. In fact, it doesn't just apply to products, but even signs. If you put up a sign in Quebec, it has to be in French; and if it has both French and English, the French has to be at least twice the size of the English. It's pretty messed up, I mean, you don't see us getting mad 'cause the game boxes and signs in EB aren't in l33t.

SUPERFICIAL (1)

cdneng2 (695646) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418927)

I WAS a French Canadian, and I have left because I could speak english and pursue better opportunities. (...but that's besides the point...)

This is a superficial law. The Quebec laws require the PACKAGING to be bilingual. The handbook and instructions will be bilingual as well. However, the actual game itself (speech, sound, and subtitles) remains the same.

Have people ever noticed that you pay slightly higher prices in Quebec because of that? The extra revenue apparently goes into "language programs" such as these. Quebec did the same thing with the Hollywood movies. France is the same way with American culture.

An easy fix? Regional coding for Quebec / France only. I believe they already have this. If Quebec wants exceptions, then let themselves be seperated from the everyone else.

A Modest Proposal (5, Funny)

orthogonal (588627) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418943)

Of course this is offensive, and petty: the Quebecois are so worried about being absorbed in the the English-speaking majority of Canada (not to mention the cultural behemoth just to the south), that they limit their own people's right to purchase software they want.

Oh, you want that leet new First Person Shooteur, little Laurant? I'm afraid you can't have it ShootEmUp Games doesn't translate their box into la belle langue. You'll just have to envy the American kids and the kids in British Columbia you chat with in IRC. Maybe you'll end up so warped you become the next "Star Wars Kid", playing with your "light-sabre" in a closet.

But I think there's a simple solution that will allow Laurant his game (and his dignity), while sticking a finger in the eye of the tight-assed Quecbec goverment.

I call the solution Frauxcais. It's the French equivilent to "Engrish [engrish.com] ".

The Japanese (and other Asian countries) produce "English" translations that seem almost to be parody -- but are sincere but inept attempts to translate into English, because they want to sell to the large English speaking market.

There's no large Francophone market (apparently, or else the companies would produce translations just for the market share), so we'll intentionally produce fractured, ambiguous, meaningless French, and slap it on bozes for export to Quebec:
  • "Les salivates verts de vache violemment." ("The green cow salivates fiercely.")
  • "Actuellement bientot le bouton au fondle." ("Presently soon the button to fondle")
  • "Baton sur la lumiere artificielle lentement, pleasuring la boisson." ("Stick upon lamplight slowly, pleasuring beverage.")
We print these out on sticky address labels, plaster them on the game box, and, as the French say, viola!, violin!, chello!

Only on X-Box... (1)

dbm1175 (558660) | more than 10 years ago | (#7418987)

...the cover that says 'Only on Xbox' must read 'Seulement sur Xbox'.
Couldn't you just append that with:
...only in English!

whats next (1)

cassidyc (167044) | more than 10 years ago | (#7419062)

You can't program in C because all the keywords aren`t in french.

si{x==0)
{
travaillez
}
autrement
{
effectuez l'autre travail
}
Load More Comments
Slashdot Account

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Don't worry, we never post anything without your permission.

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>
Create a Slashdot Account

Loading...