Beta
×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Microsoft Retires Windows 98

michael posted more than 10 years ago | from the porch-and-rocking-chair dept.

Microsoft 697

prostoalex writes "Complying with the court requirement related to Sun-Microsoft lawsuit over Java, Microsoft is retiring Windows 98, SQL Server 7, Office XP Developer Edition and some other products."

Sorry! There are no comments related to the filter you selected.

So? (5, Insightful)

dolo666 (195584) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672667)

Windows 98? But they are on XP now...
So I guess it's no big deal. How does this harm Microsoft? Win98 is (was) a nice and stable gaming platform, but XP is very stable for gaming too. This counts as a win on the record, but it's still too little too late, imho. Sun should be awarded more rights over *current* and *future* Microsoft products, as a penalty. This could get interesting!

Re:So? (5, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672700)

Did you just refer to Win98 as "stable?" Good god, you're delusional.

Re:So? (4, Interesting)

Clay Pigeon -TPF-VS- (624050) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672754)

I got windows 98 to run for weeks at a time on my machine. Its not stable compared to Linux, but it is stable compared to its predecesor, windows 95.

Re:So? (4, Funny)

Boing (111813) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672915)

I got windows 98 to run for weeks at a time

I guess your screensaver was pretty busy...

Wait, what the hell am I saying, Windows 98 wouldn't be able to run a screensaver without crashing for weeks at a time.

Re:So? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672919)

I got windows 98 to run for weeks at a time on my machine.

That doesn't mean anything unless you specify what you were doing with it... what apps were you running, if any? And not just running, but actively using?

Uhuh... I thought so.

Re:So? (1)

Clay Pigeon -TPF-VS- (624050) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672952)

I was using it for word processing, gaming (half life engine based), and irc.

Re:So? (5, Insightful)

Frymaster (171343) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672701)

How does this harm Microsoft?

actually, it helps them. there are millions of administrative assistants and other corporate flunkies who have been happily using win 98 for years.

now that end of life is officially declared, the it deaprtmnt will probably force upgrades on all those people - and, of course, pay the necessary licensing fees to redmond.

microsoft: taking a bad ruling and turning it into a cash cow. again.

Re:So? (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672736)

I just visited your lame-arsed web site, does that mean you keep your job?

Re:So? (0, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672850)

Along with new licensing, don't forget the money and time spent on retraining these people on XP (and likely new versions of Office and other crap).

Re:So? (5, Insightful)

bloodrose (87474) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672891)

Cash cow yes bad ruling far from it. Windows 98 was a decent platform for those who didnt want to bother about more advanced topics, but it as many things slowly loose their appeal to support after a while as well as the invention of "newer" technologies, but honestly who reaps the benefit of this "Cash Cow". Not just Redmond. Usually when a peice of software (os or otherwise) is "retired" supporting companies (ISP's, repair shops, etc...) lag behind about a year or more before declaring that they will not support it. For example, this year an ISP I worked for finally decided not to support Win 95 anymore. The repair shops that are in town that still support these "older" technologies will reap the benefits in that users who first turned to microsoft will turn to them instead before even considering to upgrade.

Re:So? (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672712)

Wow, in your rush for first post, you really have managed to create a post devoid of information or insight.

Re:So? (1)

geekoid (135745) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672715)

Unfortunatly, there are some of us who can not in good faith agree to the EULA.

MapPoint 2002? (1)

MP2Kmag.com (688505) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672864)

What Java does MapPoint 2002 have in it? Something in the installer? This makes no sense to me.

Someone tell me what Java MapPoint 2002 has in it!

Eric

http://www.mp2kmag.com/mappoint.asp [mp2kmag.com]

Re:So? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672900)

So how does the first post get modded redundant? More newbie mods viewing newest first?

FP YO (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672670)

Frosty pist! Word to my trollllz!

ding, dong... (3, Funny)

rokzy (687636) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672674)

...the witch is dead

Re:ding, dong... (1)

Clay Pigeon -TPF-VS- (624050) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672710)

That's why office 2003 and windows xp are still on sale. Bill Gates, aka the Wicked Witch of the NorthWest, isn't dead yet.

FP all you niggers, fags, and bitches! (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672676)

Woohoo! Suck on it!

PARENT IS A RACIST, MOD DOWN (-1)

Rectal Examination (711652) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672732)

He left out "honkies".

Mosfet (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672680)

Liquid.

Now!

Hapless Al Gore endorses Hapless Howard Dean (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672684)

The human Alpha Male robot Al Gore endorses future 49 state loser Howard Dean. Yuck Yuck it is going to be fun to see our great President Bush roll to victory 2 November 2004. Sorry Al-Queda the pressure will not let up due to a limp wristed slack jawed liberal winning the White House.

w00t (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672689)

w00t first post

So does that mean. (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672692)

That I should power down my Kazaa box now?

Upgrade (4, Insightful)

Cavalkaf (656724) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672694)

Well, Microsoft is forcing everyone that wants tech support to pay another $500 to upgrade, and still get no source code....

Re:Upgrade (5, Insightful)

king-manic (409855) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672801)

Realistically, only about 0.1% of *nix users ever even think about touching kernel source. For windows users it's be down to about 0.0001% that even know what the kernel is. So the source would be about as useful as a 4000 page manual written in Aramaic, translated from the original babalonian through french then swedish and finally chinese.

Yeehaw! (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672695)

Yeehaw!

hurrah! (5, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672704)

Best news since 1998!!!

What I like about open source (0, Insightful)

Wigfield (730339) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672713)

Is that the software can never die (theoretically). If some company retires a product (ie, Redhat) someone else can step in and continue to maintain it.

Here's to hoping... (1, Funny)

KirkH (148427) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672714)

...it retires to a nice warm spot in Hell!

Maybe that was a little harsh.

Dys damnlexia (5, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672725)

I read that as "Microsoft Retries Windows 98" and I thought, "Didn't they learn the first time around?"

Re:Dys damnlexia (1)

temojen (678985) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672907)

me too!

Fact: Windows 98 is dying (5, Funny)

cpeterso (19082) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672738)

Fact: Windows 98 is dying

It is common knowledge that Windows 98 is dying. Everyone knows that ever hapless Windows 98 is mired in an irrecoverable and mortifying tangle of fatal trouble. It is perhaps anybody's guess as to which Windows 98 is the worst off of an admittedly suffering Windows 98 community. The numbers continue to decline for Windows but Windows 98 may be hurting the most. Look at the numbers. The erosion of user base for FreeBSD continues in a head spinning downward spiral.

All major marketing surveys show that Windows 98 has steadily declined in market share. Windows 98 is very sick and its long term survival prospects are very dim. If Windows 98 is to survive at all it will be among hobbyist dilettante dabblers. In truth, for all practical purposes Windows 98 is already dead. It is a dead man walking.

Fact: Windows 98 is dying

Heh.. you left a 'FreeBSD' in there ;) (4, Funny)

Shalome (566988) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672785)

;) Proofreading is your friend.

Re:Fact: Windows 98 is dying (1)

keesh (202812) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672790)

Damn, I have mod points, but there's still no -1, lame attempt at being funny failed.

Re:Fact: Windows 98 is dying (1)

TheSimkin (639033) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672793)

So, I think you're trying to say Windows 98 is dead?

Re:Fact: Windows 98 is dying (0, Redundant)

madprof (4723) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672800)

That was good, but you forgot to do
s/FreeBSD/Windows 98/g; on every line...

Re:Fact: Windows 98 is dying (0)

stevebob2019 (601185) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672803)

Fact: Windows 98 is dying

It's a shame, yes. But I hear that Windows 2000 is coming out next year, so at least we'll have something else to use.

Re:Fact: Windows 98 is dying (1, Redundant)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672823)

You missed one.

But Windows 98 still does it's business like it did back in 1998. Still works for some. I see no reason why it dying makes it anything less than what it has been for the last 5+ years. And as such, could still be useful. I still have Win98SE in vmware and intend to keep it goin for a while yet :)

Re:Fact: Windows 98 is dying (1)

MikeXpop (614167) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672826)

Am I the only one who thought this was funny? +3 at least.

You mods have no sense of humor.

Re:Fact: Windows 98 is dying (0, Redundant)

PhxBlue (562201) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672854)

The erosion of user base for FreeBSD continues in a head spinning downward spiral.

Hey, you missed a spot. :-)

Does this include Windows 98 Second Edition? (1)

Will2k_is_here (675262) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672741)

Anyone know?

Re:Does this include Windows 98 Second Edition? (0, Offtopic)

AndroidCat (229562) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672825)

I'm not sure but I'm typing this very very fas

No, it does not include Win98 SE (4, Informative)

leerpm (570963) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672867)

In the original full posting [microsoft.com] , they give the full list of all products being retired:

Due to a settlement agreement reached in January 2001, the following products are being phased out and will no longer available to customers through MSDN Subscriber Downloads or other channels at Microsoft. These products will be removed from MSDN Subscriber Downloads as of December 15th, 2003.

Office XP Developer
Visio 2000
BackOffice Server 2000
Office 2000 Developer
Office 2000 Tools
Office 2000 Multilingual
Office 2000 Premium SR-1
Office 2000 Service Pack 2
Outlook 2000
Project 2000
SQL Server 7
SQL Server 7 Service Pack 3
Embedded Visual Tools 3.0
Visual Studio 6 MSDE
IE 5.5
MapPoint 2002
Visual Studio 6.0 SP3 and SP5
Windows 98
Windows 98 Y2K
Windows 98 Resource Kit
Windows 98 SP1 (all win98 except SE)
Windows NT 4.0
ISA Server 2000
Visual Basic for (Alpha Systems)

The following product will be updated with Java-compliant versions before the 12/31/03 deadline: Office XP Professional with FrontPage
Publisher 2002
Windows NT 4.0
Small Business Server 2000

Why is this news? (5, Funny)

Lane.exe (672783) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672751)

In other news, Windows 3.1, long the holdout of solitaire, minesweeper and QBASIC enthusiasts the world over, has been retired by Microsoft.

Re:Why is this news? (1)

geekoid (135745) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672782)

Majority ruke best in a mental hospital.
who is going to get the most votes, the admin, or everybody else's invisible friend?

Re:Why is this news? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672890)

You forgot Gorilla.

Truly a gaming masterpiece.

Re:Why is this news? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672894)

Hey -- QBASIC comes with that funky Gorillas game, where two players throw bananas at each other. :-)

Truly Sad..... (4, Insightful)

GeneralEmergency (240687) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672753)



Ironically, Win98se has been Microsoft's most secure operating system for the last two years!

Kuh-Bum-Boomp!
Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Fortunately ... (5, Informative)

IPFreely (47576) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672866)

... Microsoft is not retiring Win98 SE, only versions of Win98 prior to SE. See this [infoworld.com] .

Re:Truly Sad..... (5, Informative)

Tackhead (54550) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672937)

> Ironically, Win98se has been Microsoft's most secure operating system for the last two years!

Flamebait?

A Win98SE box runs no services. No DCOM, no RPC, no IIS, no "Remote Support", no MSN. With a couple of tweaks to rebind (or unbind) NetBIOS, it listens on no ports.

Use a third-party email client and a third-party browser to avoid the Outleak/IE holes, and the poster's right. For a clued-in user (i.e. someone smart enough not to click on every stupid attachment some bozo mails him), Win98SE is more secure than XP.

Is Win98 a good operating system? Hell no. It's a glorified DOS shell. Get your trojan running anywhere on that machine, and j00 0wn t3h b0x. But in order for that to happen, the end user pretty much has to cooperate.

Re:Truly Sad..... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672940)

Why this is moderated as flamebait? How many % of remote expoits found lately affected Windows 98(SE)?

Hollow victory (5, Insightful)

cybrchrst (535172) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672756)

The only thing this means is that people that still have their Packard Bells and Dells and the such with Windows 98 OEM copies are not going to be able to do Windows Updates and are basically going to have to upgrade to another PC if they want support. Any guess as to what OS their next PC is going to run?

Re:Hollow victory (2, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672903)

Lunix? [sic]

Harsh assessment? (2, Insightful)

Short Circuit (52384) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672757)

The bottom of the article mentions that Sun attempts to distribute Java through court proceedings and OEM agreements.

That wasn't a very nice thing to say...maybe CNET has a beef with Sun? (the article is copyright CNET, not MSNBC)

Re:Harsh assessment? (2, Interesting)

LX.onesizebigger (323649) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672872)

CNET is owned by Paul Allen's Vulcan Northwest [cjr.org] . Paul Allen has a 5% stake in Microsoft.

Tin foil, get your tin foil!

Good, now retire IE5 (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672758)

We've pretty much eliminated Netscape 4 and Internet Explorer 4 from the internet. Now, we just need to get rid of IE 5 and 5.5. IE 6 isn't perfect, but it's light years beyond IE 5.x.

Re:Good, now retire IE5 (4, Informative)

larsoncc (461660) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672843)

IE 5.X is part of this forced retirement.

Re:Good, now retire IE5 (4, Informative)

larsoncc (461660) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672908)

Full list of retired products, taken from MSDN board...

> Office XP Developer
> Visio 2000
> BackOffice Server 2000
> Office 2000 Developer
> Office 2000 Tools
> Office 2000 Multilingual
> Office 2000 Premium SR-1
> Office 2000 Service Pack 2
> Outlook 2000
> Project 2000
> SQL Server 7
> SQL Server 7 Service Pack 3
> Embedded Visual Tools 3.0
> Visual Studio 6 MSDE
> IE 5.5
> MapPoint 2002
> Visual Studio 6.0 SP3 and SP5
> Windows 98
> Windows 98 Y2K
> Windows 98 Resource Kit
> Windows 98 SP1 (all win98 except SE)
> Windows NT 4.0 (Terminal Server and Option Pack)
> ISA Server 2000
> Visual Basic for (Alpha Systems)
>
> The following products will be updated to versions that do not contain the
> Microsoft Virtual Machine:
>
> Office XP Professional with FrontPage
> Publisher 2002
> Windows NT 4.0 (Workstation, Server, Enterprise Server)
> Small Business Server 2000

Just wait... (5, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672761)

...one day they'll be back. Trying to coax 98 out of retirement for 1 more mission. At first, 98 will be adament that he is retired. But then, they will tell him about an evil so great...

Nice way of spinning it (5, Insightful)

gilesjuk (604902) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672768)

Blame Sun for forcing you to retire a product. They would have retired Win98 by now anyway. It's over five years old.

Re:Nice way of spinning it (2, Insightful)

DCMonkey (615) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672820)

They did, but they still distribute it via MSDN subscriptions (to allow developers to test on old platforms). Now that will stop too.

for better? or for worse? (5, Insightful)

musikit (716987) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672773)

although i think it's for the better. get bad code out of public hands. a couple of reasons why i think it's a bad idea

1. force people to upgrade
1.1 forces people to spend money on something they may not need
1.2 forces people to use that windows activation thing
2. security. no more patches for win98. this means that the small group of people with win98 are always going to be vulnerable to internet viruses. Upgrade you say? what if you can't afford it?

i'm sure there are tons more reasons. in fact i'd like to heard more below but these are the two things that worry me because i have very little money and family/friends still using 98.

Re:for better? or for worse? (1)

Short Circuit (52384) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672897)

The last few nasty worms couldn't even affect 98. They depended on flaws in XP's rpc system.

As the majority of users work with newer and newer technologies, those old technologies will become safer and safer.

In fact, I know a business that uses Worldgroup (under DOS) as its accounting and RADIUS authentication package.

Re:for better? or for worse? (1)

UnknowingFool (672806) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672902)

Unfortunately, the retirement of 98 may cause people to upgrade hardware as well as software. Some people still use 98 because they don't want to or can't upgrade their machines. The mininum for XP is PII 233. It might be a mixed blessing in that some will migrate to a new machine and XP while others will stick to their current machine and may use a Linux distro. Here's hoping it will be the later.

Re:for better? or for worse? (3, Interesting)

Jason1729 (561790) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672944)

To get bad code out of public hands, they have to replace it with better code. This will just replace bad code with even worse code (XP is worse because it has more DRM).

The "activation thing" is a cripping feature. I can't accept that EULA in good faith, so I can't use XP at all (imo pirating XP would be sinking to MS's level). This just pushes me one step closer to a mac. I'm currently running win98 and win2k. The security issue is the major concern; now I can't use win98 on an important machine anymore.

Jason
ProfQuotes [profquotes.com]

Well a big thanks to Sun for the legal bid (1)

pfafrich (647460) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672778)

Great, end result of sun being huffy over Java and Microsofts version - no java on microsoft machines!

Maybe there are leasons to be learnt about persuing IP claims, you may win the legal battle but loose the war!

Damn (1, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672787)

At first I only read the first two words in the title.
Oh well, too good to be true.

Still quite a few WIn 98 boxes out there (5, Interesting)

ducomputergeek (595742) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672792)

My father is still using 98. In fact he just had to reinstall everything after a virus. All he does is use it to check his stocks, email, and minor web surfing. I can't think of any good reason to spend the money upgrading his 400Mhz K6-2.

I walked him through the process and told him that Win 98 support was going out the window at year's end. This isn't the first time this story has graced /.. He didn't seem to care and has no plans to upgrade until the hardware gives out and the harddrive fails or something like that.

Then he's buying a mac...

Re:Still quite a few WIn 98 boxes out there (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672870)

He didn't seem to care and has no plans to upgrade until the hardware gives out and the harddrive fails or something like that.

Then he's buying a mac...


Wise man!

STEP RIGHT UP (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672796)

And get your copy of Windows XP today! That's right folks we are retiring that old crappy Windows 98 software so you need to go out and get XP today!

Uhh.... (5, Funny)

jetkust (596906) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672806)

Let's look on the bright side, Windows ME is still in circulation.

Re:Uhh.... (1)

confused one (671304) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672896)

And a scream is heard for about 1/2 mile in all directions from where I'm sitting...

Does that mean (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672810)

So will they open source it on SourceForge?

Available vs. Supported... (4, Interesting)

M.C. Hampster (541262) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672815)


Note that this says nothing about support for these products. Microsoft is going to stop distributing these products to comply with the court order, not support them. It really is two different issues.

Now, since some of these products aren't even sold anymore, the only reason this was noticed was because of the notice on MSDN, which is a place you could get these products if you had a subscription.

Runtime Error (1)

rjelks (635588) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672817)

WinErr: 000184
Unrecoverable error - System has been destroyed. Buy a new one. Old Windows license is not valid anymore.

Long life to win98 (5, Funny)

armando_wall (714879) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672818)

Long life to an OS which filled my life with the joy of rebooting, freezing and hardware failure blue screens (since the day of its presentation [cnn.com] ).

It will be missed! :'-(

And what will MS do? (4, Interesting)

Progman3K (515744) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672819)

Simple,
They'll use retiring all those products to move people to a newer version of Windows, which will arguably be EVEN HARDER for users to migrate away from!

Every time Microsoft is sentenced to a "penalty" they find some way of using it to their advantage.

No reason why this will be any different.

Win98 Was Still Available??? (1)

dwm (151474) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672832)

This story implies that, until this happened, you could still buy Win98.

Is this really true? If not, what does "retire" really mean?

Re:Win98 Was Still Available??? (1)

confused one (671304) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672954)

yes and no. Microsoft's licensing plans often allow you to downgrade a license for development work. I.E. you buy XP -- so you have a valid license -- then contact Microsoft about a downgrade to 98. They then (for a small fee) send you the media for 98se...

No complaints (0, Redundant)

go3 (570471) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672838)

About time someone sent this horse to the glue factory.

does this mean I can pirate the shit out of it now (0, Troll)

cebarro (596789) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672839)

I can pirate the shit out of it now?

Retirement? (2, Funny)

MandoSKippy (708601) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672846)

Retirement? Windows 98? doesn't the word "retirement" indicate that that which is retiring worked? ... hmm

Retired? still working :) (1)

incal (728144) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672853)

I fear my humble pII/400 laptop still runs with win98se/cygwin hybrid. should I immediately upgrade to windoze 5000?

Look interesting how many people still use this system. Its still the only quite modern OS from windows family which runs on old hardware. And quite a few people in my part of the world still use old hardware due to lack of $$$ for upgrading.
After fast demise of WinME, were there an other option?

Leaving such large userbase without support isn't the Most Nice Thing To Do. But well, welcome in the capitalistic world.

this is our chance as well (3, Insightful)

geekoid (135745) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672865)

Look, most people are going to have to upgrade there hardware for the latest version of XP.
We need to take advantage of this, and convince people to get Linux and give it a try.

Tell them, if they like it and it does what you
need, then they won't have to upgrade.

But if it doesn't do what you need, they where going to have to upgrade anyways, right?

The Linux community does not get many opportunities like this. lets use it.

Friends, Netizens, Slashdotters (1)

Eberlin (570874) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672871)

Lend me your ears!
I have come to bury Windows 98
Not to praise it...hell, who would?

For a lot of people, though, (me included) Win98 is the only Windows-based OS I do own. I bought my PC in that general era -- not even 98SE. If nothing else, I use my copy to restore my machines since I'm not about to fork over more cashage for XP. If this means no more windows update for 98, is MS then pretty much going "screw you. upgrade..." again? This isn't really compliance but a marketing ploy.

As for me, linux distros are highly available...and they're a lot more stable and easier to install than that old Windows 98 with 15 reboots and scattered drivers. It also generally works well with the hardware I bought back then.

Devistating (1)

ciroknight (601098) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672876)

This is particually devistating to our technology department as we just installed Windows 98 on 38 Dells to go in our computer lab and around the school... Microsoft should have provided us with a little warning before we purchased the licensing, or at least offer us an upgrade to the license to install 2000 pro.....

*sigh*Does this make me obsolete? (1)

irokitt (663593) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672882)

Guess it's time to make my box look ugly. I still prefer the old gui to the new one. It trys so hard to make things bright and happy, but all it makes me want to do is puke.

Re:*sigh*Does this make me obsolete? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672934)

Try setting the Theme to "classic", dumbass.

Headline misleading? (2, Insightful)

nolife (233813) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672883)

Microsoft will retire several of its products next week, including Windows 98 and SQL Server 7, to comply with a court order related to its dispute with Sun Microsystems over Java.

This is misleading. As I understand the situation, they did NOT retire these packages because the court order told them too. They retired them because they did not want to get them into compliance and spend the resources on those packages. That is a big difference.

As with most MS settlements, they win even when they lose.

Still supported? (1)

yamla (136560) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672884)

While Win98 will no longer be available, I believe it will still be supported by Microsoft for some time, correct?

Passive Aggressive Legal/PR Strategy (4, Insightful)

4of12 (97621) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672889)


Compliance with court orders to remove the polluted versions of JVM does not [theregister.co.uk] require that those entire product lines be discontinued.

However, it is in Microsoft's business interest to push users of those products into upgrading to newer Microsoft products, for which they'll gain license revenue AND lower support costs associated with discontinuing support for those old products.

And, it is in MSFT's public relations interests to deflect blame for this action away from themselves and upon enemy Sun and its Java legal action.

Exactly the same red-herring strategy is being used to hold up class action settlements in California and to blame it on Lindows. [theregister.co.uk]

Closed source softwares' greatest risks.... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672893)

Planned obsdelesance and the risk that a lawsuit will force you to pay $$$$ to upgrade or run unsupported applications. WHy take a risk on closed source proprietary solutions? Without the source code software is NOT soft. It is a high risk proposition. Demand open sourced software today!

But what else should one use for retail games? (1)

dpilot (134227) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672898)

IMHO, Win98SE was the peak of the DOS-extender Windows family.

WinME was a royal pain.
Win2k was decent as an OS, but not there for gaming. (Pursuade me otherwise, and maybe I'll try to buy a copy.)
WinXP is the 'converged' heir apparent, iff you don't mind ACTIVATION.

Besides, I HAVE a legit copy of Win98SE on my main gaming machine, and don't want to send more money West.

CNET bitter? (1)

the arbiter (696473) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672905)

Damn, the end of the article..."Sun has sought to distribute its own Java virtual machine through court proceedings...". Who did Sun piss off at CNET?

Anyone have... (1)

GoofyBoy (44399) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672909)

.. a location or method of downloading patches to Win98?

There must be still alot of computers running out there.

Noooo... (5, Funny)

bunhed (208100) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672921)

Who are we going to call for support of our office machi... oh... right... we never did get any support did we...

Why Copyright Laws Need Changing (2, Interesting)

randall_burns (108052) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672935)

If a company ceases to support a product, the source code for that product should be automatically released into the public domain or under and Open Source license. I have a client that has thousands of Win98 machines that are still being used. The the Win98 source were available, Wine would get real good, real fast.

Win98 is still popular (3, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 10 years ago | (#7672938)

According to Google, Windows 98 is the second most used operating system of the world. It had 30% market share of all web users at September.

Source:
http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.h tml

Unsupported but not gone! (2, Insightful)

rueger (210566) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672941)

I would love to know how many Win98 boxes are still churning away happily. There must be millions of them whose owners haven't found a reason to change.

For those people, Win98SE, with Office or even Works, is just what they need. Fast enough, flexible enough, and if they manage to stay free of spyware, reliable enough.

Since most of these people never bother with updates and patches (I mean, who would with a 28.8 modem?) Microsoft's move will mean nothing to them.

This is news? (1)

lordrich (647355) | more than 10 years ago | (#7672947)

And this is news?! Our providers have been warning about this for weeks, and it's not happening until January.
Load More Comments
Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?