Beta
×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Splashscreen for OpenOffice.org 2.0 Wanted

michael posted more than 9 years ago | from the dead-or-alive dept.

Graphics 68

An anonymous reader writes "From the OOo site: 'OpenOffice.org 2.0 is coming fast and it needs a new splashscreen. You can help. Send us your best by 10 December and it might be seen on the desktops of tens upon tens of millions next year.' For more information, visit the OpenOffice.org website."

Sorry! There are no comments related to the filter you selected.

What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketing) (5, Interesting)

oldosadmin (759103) | more than 9 years ago | (#10919220)

We need you to GIVE OUT CDs to friends.

We need you to DONATE MONEY (paypal button on openoffice.org).

We need you to BE VOCAL in your support of OpenOffice.org.

We need you to say "THANK YOU" to Sun Microsystems for donating all the code and their continual support of OpenOffice.org.


And a few friendly reminders. Open Office(tm) != OpenOffice.org.

And to kill the license trolls, we are LGPL.


(and I may get FP!)

Jason Faulkner

OOo RegiCon North America Webmaster

Re:What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketi (2, Informative)

DrJonesAC2 (652108) | more than 9 years ago | (#10919364)

I have been giving away a compilation CD containing a slew of open source software including Firefox, Thunderbird, and Open Office. I have been doing this for about the last three years for christmas because I'm too poor to buy everyone a gift and it helps get the word out. This year I'm including a little Christmas RPG that I wrote in Java as well. I have found that many people are willing to give free software a chance if they don't have to download it and have someone that will answer questions for them. I suggest more people try this approach.

I would also like to get feedback on if there would be interest in an ISO of the disk I give out. I would be more than willing to host it if there was interest.

Re:What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketi (1)

oldosadmin (759103) | more than 9 years ago | (#10919485)

You might wanna post details to dev@marketing.openoffice.org and/or cdrom@distribution.openoffice.org.

Re:What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketi (1)

zcat_NZ (267672) | more than 9 years ago | (#10919564)

I've been doing the same, but with a bit of a kiwi flavour. I'm quite keen to do a set of 'kiwiana' stamps for tuxpaint next edition (damn openoffice, next edition will have to be when OOo 2.0 comes out, I only just finished the last edition!)

http://zcat.wired.net.nz/kiaora/

Re:What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketi (1, Redundant)

cookiepus (154655) | more than 9 years ago | (#10919649)

And a few friendly reminders. Open Office(tm) != OpenOffice.org.

This doesn't remind me of anything. Are you just saying that "Open Office" is a product and "OpenOffice.org" is a website?

I am sure 90% of the people on this site know exactly what the vital distinction you're making is. But I do not.

Re:What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketi (1)

dizzyduck (659517) | more than 9 years ago | (#10919760)

AFAIK, the product is called OpenOffice.org; IIRC this is because "Open Office" isn't a trademakable name (but I could be wrong). They asked people not to refer to it as "Open Office" a while back.

Re:What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketi (1)

jacksonscottsly (699654) | more than 9 years ago | (#10921016)

no, it is trademarkable... the problem is that someone else already owns the trademark (though i don't recall who...). See the FAQ: http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-other.html#10

Re:What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketi (1)

jhdevos (56359) | more than 9 years ago | (#10924620)

In the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg), the trademark for Open Office belongs to a company called 'Open Office'. See their website [openoffice.nl] (in Dutch).

They do ICT work for offices, based on Linux and other free software. They distribute OpenOffice.org, among other things, but are completely unrelated to the OpenOffice.org project.

Jan

Re:What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketi (1)

jeif1k (809151) | more than 9 years ago | (#10920331)

We need you to GIVE OUT CDs to friends.

The Open CD [sunsite.dk] is an excellent choice for giving to Windows users (however, they need to update to Firefox/Thunderbird instead of Mozilla for the next version).

Re:What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketi (1)

xslf (10340) | more than 9 years ago | (#10923434)

There are also WinLibre [winlibre.com] and GnuWinII [gnuwin.epfl.ch] if you don't like the application selection in TheOpenCD. And you can make your own compilation :-)

Re:What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketi (1)

EzInKy (115248) | more than 9 years ago | (#10923778)

The Open CD is an excellent choice for giving to Windows users (however, they need to update to Firefox/Thunderbird instead of Mozilla for the next version).

Better would be to include Firefox/Thunderbird in addition to, not instead of, the fantastically integrated Mozilla suite. Why deny them the opportunity to do all their common net tasks with one convenient application? I know I certainly appreciate not having to launch a seperate program just to read my mail.

Re:What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketi (1)

seanyboy (587819) | more than 9 years ago | (#10920734)

You say that ... We need you to DONATE MONEY (paypal button on openoffice.org)
One way of getting people to donate money may be to change the contribute page [openoffice.org] . At the moment it says "We strongly prefer that people become contributors. In most cases, being a contributor will go much further than a monetary donation. However, for those who cannot offer time, we would gladly accept a monetary donation to the project."

In the past, I've been put off of donating because of this message.

What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketing) (-1, Troll)

LoztInSpace (593234) | more than 9 years ago | (#10922355)

We need you to DONATE MONEY (paypal button on openoffice.org).
That's why you should charge money for your work and not give it away. That's when I go to the grocery store I have to pay for the products I leave with rather than leave any spare change in a bucket by the door.
My 2 cents (or local free equivalent).

I can feel my karma slipping away.....

Re:What we need more (from a member of OOo Marketi (1)

Grand Theft Posting (737771) | more than 9 years ago | (#10923286)

I plan on helping Open Office by ensuring people only use quality Microsoft Office products. ;-)

Splash Screens are Evil (4, Insightful)

RAMMS+EIN (578166) | more than 9 years ago | (#10919317)

Splashscreen for OpenOffice.org 2.0 wanted?!

Splash screens are evil! They pop up in front of you, disabling you from doing what you were doing, and don't allow you to start doing what you started the app for. They are just a smoke screen for a badly done application.

The way to do it (assuming you're going to open a window) is to first open the window, so that the user sees the app is launching, and can position the window where he wants it. This prevents popping up a window at some unpredictable future time, which distracts and annoys users.

So what to do if your app takes a long time to load? First off, it shouldn't. You don't have to load all functionality at once, just in case the user might want it. You can load it on demand. Secondly, if loading still takes a long time, you can indicate loading progress in the window you created.

Re:Splash Screens are Evil (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#10919334)

Well, OpenOffice.org is a slow turd, and nothing's going to change that. So they need a splash screen. Office 2003 torrents for everyone!!

Agreed (3, Insightful)

jefu (53450) | more than 9 years ago | (#10919571)

I agreee completely. OpenOffice starts slowly enough that a splash screen does help indicate that it is really doing something, but honestly I'd rather not have to watch it. Often I start OpenOffice to open a MS word document that someone sent me in my mail and I'd rather keep reading my mail than have to watch the progress bar creep across (slow machine) the screen. Make it optional at least and make it easy to find the preference to turn it off (if there is one now I can't locate it).

Splash Screen Disabling (1)

nurb432 (527695) | more than 9 years ago | (#10937157)

Dont most programs kill their splash if you click on it?

Id have to test, but i know a lot do... If you get tired of watching, just click and *poof* its gone..

Judge 2.0 on it's own merits ... (3, Informative)

oldosadmin (759103) | more than 9 years ago | (#10919595)

One of the #1 goals in OpenOffice.org 2.0 was to increase speed.

Yes, we are a bit slow at times, but you also have to remember that we don't use OS hooks to help it load quicker. MSO, AbiWord, etc, all have integrated hooks to help it load faster (libs are already loaded).

Try a developer snapshot of OOo 2.0, and then decide.

Re:Judge 2.0 on it's own merits ... (3, Informative)

Foolhardy (664051) | more than 9 years ago | (#10921011)

What integrated hooks are you referring to in MSO?

MS Office has a program that (by default) loads at the same time as the shell does (after you log on) to precache binaries. This is the same thing that the OpenOffice.org Quickstarter does.

The only other thing that MSO does to load faster is that it uses common libraries that other programs, like the shell, use (like for OLE and COM) instead of re-inventing the wheel; something that OO.org can't do heavily because it would make them too dependent on a single platform, whose libraries they are not free to distribute.

What else could it be doing?
Personally, I don't think either one starts very fast, but not intolerably slow either.

Re:Judge 2.0 on it's own merits ... (1)

jdowland (764773) | more than 9 years ago | (#10923222)

MSO is prelinked too - all of the MS libs are, to favour MSO.

Re:Judge 2.0 on it's own merits ... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#10921071)

I frankly don't give a damn. The OOo splash screen is an abomination that should require that a user REQUEST it. It should not be a default.

Re:Judge 2.0 on it's own merits ... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#10921158)

What, "cat $MYLIBPATH/* >/dev/null&" is too hard?

Re:Judge 2.0 on it's own merits ... (1)

IpSo_ (21711) | more than 9 years ago | (#10925668)

I believed MS Office has faster startup times than OpenOffice because of all the pre-caching, until I installed CrossOver Office and MS Office 2000 on my Linux box.

Word and Excel both start in literally 2-3 seconds using WINE even, where OpenOffice still takes almost 20seconds.

Re:Judge 2.0 on it's own merits ... (1)

Ace Rimmer (179561) | more than 9 years ago | (#10930127)

MS Office in crossover starts faster than native OpenOffice.org (1.1). What kind of MSO you refer to in case of AbiWord?

I guess it might be of overwhelming number of shared libraries OO loads...

Re:Splash Screens are Evil (2, Insightful)

renoX (11677) | more than 9 years ago | (#10923562)

Agreed, splash screen should be removed, "splash window" like you described are much, much better!

Re:Splash Screens are Evil (1)

jonadab (583620) | more than 9 years ago | (#10924563)

> Splash screens are evil!

No, the way splash screens are usually implemented is evil. (Granted, the
OOo splashscreen falls into that category.)

> They pop up in front of you,

This part is okay, since you just clicked on the launcher/icon/whatever to
start the app, you expect it to pop up. Even apps without splash screens
do that. However...

> disabling you from doing what you were doing,

Yes, that's evil. There is a combination of factors responsible for this...
* Splash screens usually set themselves to always-on-top, which they
shouldn't do, because it's needless and annoying. (However, the window
manager is also at fault for *allowing* an app to make itself always on
top; that should be the user's decision.) This is evil.
* Splash screens usually don't have window decorations, so they're hard to
minimize or move or whatever. (Again, the window manager is also partly
at fault for allowing windows to be created without the proper controls.)
This too is evil.

> and don't allow you to start doing what you started the app for.

Done right, the splashscreen should go away immediately once the app is
ready to go. Granted, reducing app startup time is also a good thing.
But splash screens are not inherently evil per se; it's the way they're
usually implemented that's evil.

It's not just the implementation (1)

cocoa moe (530541) | more than 8 years ago | (#10955621)

There are only two reasons for splash-images/screens to exist.

1) to give the user a feedback that the app is launching.
2) it looks beautiful

Both arguments however are flawed when it comes to experienced users.
1) should be handled uniformly by the application-manager and not require the app to do anything.
And 2) is actually reversed when you are starting multiple applications. This will create the look of tv-commercial interruptions, which, I think, nobody really consideres to be beautiful.

Re:It's not just the implementation (1)

jonadab (583620) | more than 9 years ago | (#10958722)

> Both arguments however are flawed when it comes to experienced users.

Experienced users know how to change their launcher/link/shortcut/whatever
to add the command-line argument that suppresses the splash screen. The
splash screen exists, however, to notify *inexperienced* users that the
app has, in fact, launched. If there were no splash screen, many users
would continue clicking and clicking and end up with eight copies of the
same application running. (I have seen this happen MANY times.)

The problem is not the existence of the splash screen; the problem is that
it is not subject to good user-interface guidelines, such as: let the user
resize things; let the user choose which window is in front; let the user
minimize things that get in the way -- and so on and so forth. If the splash
screen behaved itself like a normal window, you wouldn't dislike it so much.

Re:Splash Screens are Evil (1)

KlaymenDK (713149) | more than 9 years ago | (#10926155)

Hear, hear!

This is one of the times I wish the Score would go higher than 5 (and that I had mod points. Oh, and that I could give you more votes.

Splash screens, however well intended, are not in the user's interest. At best, they're commercials for a product the user already *has*, at worst they are obnoxious interruptions.

Please, pleeeease at least enable the user to dismiss it while OOo is loading, so it's not blocking whatever the user was doing.

Re:Splash Screens are Evil (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 8 years ago | (#10953585)

I agree that there are cases when splash screens are annoying.
However, as there are at least 4 separate categories of applications as spelled out by experts in the industry, and not all of them are what you do. Your statement that they are 'evil' seems is untrue.

In the case of a device, for example, a robotic control system, having a touch-screen GUI that needs to boot, and in the case that this GUI will not be available for some seconds until the system makes all of it's connections and sets-up all of it's devices, the splash screen is a useful and necessary part of the system design.

The clients who are using this control system don't use it or the touch screen for anything else. They are not provented from doing other useful things because if they need to do these then they do them at their desks on another machine. They shouldn't be surfing the web or playing hextris on that box. The box is for running robotic automation. They would be able to do these things if we did not prohibit it by using a splash screen. And using these toys (the browser or a video game) may actually be an unsafe thing to do with these machines. In actuallity, we didn't load the games on those boxes, but the browser was their.

So, in all cases for all things splash screens are not 'evil'.

Please reserve the word 'evil' for use with things that are actually problems hurting other people. Otherwise you cheepen the English language and spread paranoia and needless anxiety.

Cheapen English? (1)

thegnu (557446) | more than 8 years ago | (#10953638)

I thought English was open source.

HAR HAR! Shut up. OK.

Plz consider my entry (3, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#10919356)

Just a rough outline here. [img13.exs.cx]

Re:Plz consider my entry (2, Insightful)

jacksonscottsly (699654) | more than 9 years ago | (#10920999)

What's with all the talk about OOo being so damned slow? I find it incredibly responsive on my machines. The machine I'm using now (Gentoo on P4@700MHz + 512MB RAM) takes less than 3-4 seconds to load up (ximianized) OOo 1.1.3! My laptop (Gentoo on PIII@400MHz + 256MB) still only takes 10-15 seconds to load OOo entirely (non-ximianized, OOo 1.1.3, i think). Give them a break, it's a damned good application and it runs almost as smoothly as Abiword for me.

Re:Plz consider my entry (1)

BrokenHalo (565198) | more than 9 years ago | (#10921087)

I would be curious to know how you do that. Object prelinking, perhaps?

On my Slackware 1GHz Athlon I just timed it at 15.7 seconds from clicking the launcher on my desktop to getting an "untitled" swriter window. Agreed, though, it's a damned good application - but IMO Abiword just doesn't cut it at all.

Incidentally, I had been under the impression that OOo2.0 was still a long way off, but here's the relevant extract from the roadmap:

Plan:
November 2004: Beta Release Candidates
December 2004: OOo2.0 Beta
January 2005: OOo2.0 changes will be done on separated branch, the trunk (HEAD) will then be used for the next OOo major (3.0 ?) release.
February 2005: OOo 2.0 rc
March 2005: OOo 2.0

Re:Plz consider my entry (1)

jacksonscottsly (699654) | more than 9 years ago | (#10921336)

OOo has always been swift and speedy for me...okay, the 1.0 release (as with the StarOffice versions put out by stardivision) were bulky and slow, but as early as 1.0.3, speed was delicious for me. Perhaps I am an unusual case. I have only used the 1.* branch OOo on gentoo (though I used staroffice on windows 95) with relatively speedy compile options, but I don't think OOo uses those (if i recall correctly, it gives me a "open office is a delicate build, so I'm ignoring your flags" message whenever i upgrade. I do prelink on my P4 machine (not on my laptop), but prelinking has not improved startup speed by more than 2 or 3 seconds maximum. Also, I have tested out the 2.0 test builds, starting with build 48, on winXP machines with RAM as low as 256, and it has been just as responsive.

Re:Plz consider my entry (1)

jonadab (583620) | more than 9 years ago | (#10924755)

> What's with all the talk about OOo being so damned slow? I find it
> incredibly responsive on my machines.

A couple of points. First, it's usually fairly responsive once it's started
(unless you exceed RAM and the OS has to swap it in and out, which can easily
happen on older systems that haven't got as much RAM as could be desired),
but these people are talking about startup time. Second, startup time for
some reason is in my experience better on Linux than on Windows. I don't
know why, and maybe it's my imagination, or maybe it's a result of the
hardware I've seen it running on in each respective OS. There is the
QuickStarter thing for Windows, but that is (or was, as of a version or two
ago, at any rate) sufficiently buggy that depending on usage patterns it may
be more trouble than it's worth -- and it doesn't help at all on systems with
inadequate RAM.

Speaking of RAM: the amount of RAM is *way* more important for good OOo
performance than the CPU speed. The system requirements for 1.1.3 say 64MB
of RAM, but it will run much more smoothly with twice that.

Re:Plz consider my entry (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#10929521)

What's with all the talk about OOo being so damned slow?


MS Word is running before I let up on the mouse button when I double click on the icon. No joke. It's probably not so much that OOo is slow, but the tool it replaces is so damn fast. I mean, damn MS Word 97 is fast. By comparison, OOo is a dog. But then, so is Word 2k (never tried Office XP, full time gentooer at home now.)

More on Openoffice.org 2.0 (4, Informative)

cortana (588495) | more than 9 years ago | (#10919359)

The Openoffice.org marketing site has more information about upcoming features in Openoffice.org 2.0 [openoffice.org] .

is that list complete? (1)

jeif1k (809151) | more than 9 years ago | (#10920362)

I think OOo is an important piece of software and appreciate all the work that has gone into it.

I'm a bit disappointed with the 2.0 list, though. There were quite a few problems and issues that people have been discussing for OOo 2.0 that don't seem to have made it into 2.0.

Here are two things that come to my mind (because I keep running into them), but there were more:

  • The text and editing parts of Writer and Impress are rather inconsistent, with people being able to do much less in Impress than in Writer; one thing that drives many academic users up the wall is, for example, that you don't get in-line formulas in Impress text.
  • People have been about was the configuration and customization of toolbars; the current approach is pretty cumbersome and conterintuitive; the new approach was supposed to be a more Thunderbird/Firefox-like drag-and-drop method.


There are a lot more rough edges, limitations, and problems that I think are pretty well know. For a 2.0 release, the set of changes actually given on that web site seem pretty modest (although I appreciate that better MS Office compatibility is probably a high-priority item and a lot of work).

It needs it like a hole in the head (0, Troll)

bkhl (189311) | more than 9 years ago | (#10919495)

Splash screens suck.

Re:It needs it like a hole in the head (3, Insightful)

Make (95577) | more than 9 years ago | (#10920602)

why troll. i like applications the unix way. if they have nothing useful to say, they should not say anything.

what use is a splash screen? (okay openoffice may be so SLOOOOOOW that they want to entertain the user while it loads... omg what a self diss)

A first (1)

drix (4602) | more than 9 years ago | (#10919909)

I think that's the first time I've ever heard "OpenOffice" and "fast" used in the same sentence.

The ideal OpenOffice.org splashscreen (2, Interesting)

KWTm (808824) | more than 9 years ago | (#10920011)

Could someone please design a splashscreen that is:

  1. transparent, and
  2. 2 pixels by 2 pixels? Okay, maybe not that big

Every time I start OpenOffice.org, the huge splashscreen just sits there blocking the way of all my other apps. And it sits there for a LOOOooo...ng time! (Later I discovered that I could drag it out of the way by holding down Alt, but why should I have to?)

Even some translucency would be good so that I can at least see what's going on underneath the splash screen. And someone can design a logo for their new slogan: "OpenOffice.org --now only takes 60 seconds to load!"

Okay, okay, I shouldn't be so hard on the OOo team, since it *is* open-source. Please do take a look at some comments [slashdot.org] that I and other Slashdotters have made which I hope are being addressed. I recognize that some of these take time to work on, but the first step is to know that the items listed above are a significant incentive to switch to a lesser-developed program like AbiWord despite its inferior MSWord-importing capabilities (for example).

Re:The ideal OpenOffice.org splashscreen (1)

cant_get_a_good_nick (172131) | more than 9 years ago | (#10944630)

(Later I discovered that I could drag it out of the way by holding down Alt, but why should I have to?)
BTW: this is a feature of your window manager, not the window itself. Alt-Button1 moves, Alt-button2 resizes, well, at least in all window managers that uphold the conventions. There are no rules, but most use these mappings.

UI (3, Interesting)

Per Wigren (5315) | more than 9 years ago | (#10920197)

Have they got ridden of that weird custom GUI-toolkit in 2.0 yet?
Real native look and feel (not just look) is my major #1 wish for OOo. Especially on OS X it feels extremly alien right now..

Re:UI (2, Interesting)

Puggs (562473) | more than 9 years ago | (#10920963)

OpenOffice.org is a strange one on OS X...

You have two choices at the moment - OpenOffice.org for X Windows [openoffice.org] , the official port, but development is very slow, and recent version(s) do not compile... or, NeoOffice/J [neooffice.org] , a port that runs in Java, with the OpenOffice toolkit although this is being worked on to have a native Aqua interface.

In other words, be patient, (or in true OSS-style) join either or both project and start helping ;)

I use NeoOffice/J on my mac - its a little slow, but i prefer it to running X just to use an office app

Re:UI (1)

dracvl (541254) | more than 9 years ago | (#10934779)

From the new features guide [openoffice.org] :
Native system theme integration will be available for Gnome (version 2.4 or higher), Microsoft Windows (including XP and future versions), and KDE (version 3.2 and higher) desktop environments. On Windows XP the "Windows XP Style" must be chosen under Settings->Control Panel->Display->Appearance to achieve the correct look.
No mention of Mac OS X, so I guess that's a no.
Theme integration will be the default for desktop environments that support it (listed above). Systems that do not support it (e.g., Windows 98/ME/2000, CDE) will see no visual change in OpenOffice.org. On supported systems OpenOffice.org will always adopt the theme of the system and cannot choose not to do so.
They seem to ignore OS X as a platform altogether in the feature overview, not a good sign.

improved graphing capabilities needed (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#10920205)

One thing that is lacking in OO is graphing abilities, which don't seem to be addressed in the 2.0 new feature list. Either an improvement to the rather low level of graphing ability that excel has or an easy way to export the data to something like gnuplot would be great.

Also looking for (0, Troll)

brunes69 (86786) | more than 9 years ago | (#10920441)

.. a way to DISABLE THE FSCKING SPLASH SCREEN because all splash screens blow.

Just thought I'd let those interested know... (4, Interesting)

Roman_(ajvvs) (722885) | more than 9 years ago | (#10921046)

... that the splash screen is one of the first things that I turn off when I install a new program and run it for the first time. It really doesn't matter what it looks like to me. It could be the equivalent of Michelango's David and I'd still turn it off.

The primary reason I turn it off, is because I don't want some static, always-on-top window blocking my view of other windows I'm working on. I don't mind programs taking time to load if they need it, just let me read something while it's waiting. In my case, programs rarely get opened up on their own.

Usually splash screens play nice, but they always seems to block something I'm looking at there and then. An about box will suffice if I really find out what I'm running.

Re:Just thought I'd let those interested know... (1)

northcat (827059) | more than 9 years ago | (#10937250)

It could be the equivalent of Michelango's David and I'd still turn it off.

Hell, yeah. You DO NOT want to see the image of a naked man before you surf porn. Trust me.

Victory Salute (1)

cuteseal (794590) | more than 9 years ago | (#10921569)

I propose the one finger victory salute [atcybertopia.com] on the splashscreen. How can one go wrong with that? :D

just bounce the dock icon (0)

dankelley (573611) | more than 9 years ago | (#10921658)

Oh, wait a sec, not everybody has switched to Mac OSX. I take it back. Do whatever. I'll use msoft until you get a real OSX version working.

Re:just bounce the dock icon (1)

northcat (827059) | more than 9 years ago | (#10937290)

The "bouncing" thing is on KDE too.

Tens of millions?? Try Tens of Thousands (1)

Safety Cap (253500) | more than 9 years ago | (#10921927)

I'd like to see some kind of source for your claim that "tens of millions" of people will be using OO 'next year'.

Based upon the OO team's utter failure at building a usable UI (for the most important segment---the average, non-technical user who has been using MSO), I highly doubt there are that many people using it.

Can you build CPU optimised versions for speed? (1)

Quizo69 (659678) | more than 9 years ago | (#10921941)

I've been using OOo and Firefox for a while now, but the one advantage Firefox seems to have is that due to its open nature, people such as Moox and mmoy have been building CPU optimised versions which boot in half the time and are generally much more responsive (I'm on Windows BTW).

The splash screen on OOo seems to be mostly there because it takes so long to load (relatively speaking of course) from scratch.

Does anyone know if there are CPU optimised versions out there like the optimised Firefox versions? That would certainly cut down on the need for a splash screen in the first place.

That said, I don't mind a splash screen as long as there is an option in Preferences NOT to use it.

Re:Can you build CPU optimised versions for speed? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#10927046)

Is getting a Firefox binary optimized for your specific processor actually *noticably* faster than the default most distributions (at least Fedora and Debian) use of '-march=i486 -mcpu=i686'? On my laptop, my processor never needs to rise above 530 MHz and web browsing is perfectly responsive.

Re:Can you build CPU optimised versions for speed? (1)

northcat (827059) | more than 9 years ago | (#10937330)

Thanks for bringing to my attention that there are optimised builds of firefox. But I cant seem to understand which version I'm supposed to get to have an optimised firefox 1.0. (I googled). Can someone please provide a link or explain what I should download. (I went to the moox website but cant see an optimised build of the stable version)

Re:Can you build CPU optimised versions for speed? (1)

northcat (827059) | more than 9 years ago | (#10937349)

never mind. found it. http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/releasebuilds.htm

requirements? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#10925690)

What do they want to appear on the splash screen? How do they expect people to design something without requirements? Have these people ever worked with designers?

Make it movable like knoppix did (1)

mgkimsal2 (200677) | more than 9 years ago | (#10929525)

I tried OOo in knoppix last year and was pleasantly surprised that someone had made the OOo splash screen into a regular window with a - what do you call it? - a window around it. You could drag it around, minimize it (I think), but most importantly it would go behind other windows so you could actually do other stuff while it loaded.

I dunno why that's not the default behaviour, but it would be nice if it was.

Disabling the splash screen (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#10937009)

You can disable the open office splash screen by editing the sofficerc file in the program directory.

Edit the Line
Logo=1

to Logo=0

This is probably located at /etc/openoffice or /opt/openoffice

on most systems you do

locate sofficerc

to see where it is

make it an application (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#10937227)

while the user waits the OOo to load, s/he could use some small text editor / screen (with very, very limited feature set) to start typing, and the text would then be transferred to OOo writer / calc -whatever. Or... tetris-clone would be fine, too.

When OO improves Calc then I'll start giving money (1)

enmane (805543) | more than 9 years ago | (#10939546)

There happens to be several of us in the University/Scholastic segment that value OO for everything but Calc and their regression capabilities when compared to Excel. THis has been discussed OVER and OVER but the OO community views these issues are "features" or "non-essential" when they are THE most critical thing for the teacher/scientist/engineer in us. For example, see

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/showvotes.cgi?is su e_id=366

When they start seeing issues like this as essential and not a feature then I'll start giving them my $$. Until then, and because of their attitude on this, I will still use MSO on a limited basis and therefore not contribute. I contribute monetarily to other packages (Mozilla, PCLinuxOS, etc) that I use daily because they DO replace their competitors wholeheartedly. I choose to vote with my support or non-support.

Zzz (1)

sn0wflake (592745) | more than 9 years ago | (#10940227)

After reading that OpenOffice.org 2.0 should have faster load times I installed it. Boy was I disappointed. The only thing faster was the installation. Load time was double of 1.1.3 if it even did load.
So OpenOffice.org 2.0 should have a splash screen to indicate what it's doing because it's so damn slow starting!
Check for New Comments
Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?