Beta

Slashdot: News for Nerds

×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

cancel ×

492 comments

So what ? (5, Insightful)

Space cowboy (13680) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982861)


Look, I'm no shill for MS - I think their OS sucks dead bunnies through short straws, but frankly, who cares ? MS want to associate themselves with an organisation that likes to consider itself better than average, by their own definition. And the news is... what ?

I have no respect for Mensa, they like to position themselves as the "society of the intelligent", and yet most of the people I've interviewed who have claimed Mensa membership on their resume are less than attractive as candidates. It's almost a badge of dishonour... They don't fail on intelligence (but that's not normally where people I interview fail anyway), they fail on people skills - being able to recognise that someone else may know more about X than you do, and coping with that knowledge well.

Oh, I've not much respect for MS either (at least technically - I think their marketing is excellent), but that ought to be obvious from my tagline...

Simon.

Re:So what ? (2, Insightful)

FidelCatsro (861135) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982871)

There is a fine line between genius and insanity

Ah. You tried to get into mensa.... (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982884)

and failed.

Re:Ah. You tried to get into mensa.... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982896)

Nope. Why would anyone want to join a group dedicated to comparing mental dick size?

Re:Ah. You tried to get into mensa.... (3, Insightful)

Space cowboy (13680) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982938)

You know what, I didn't. I've never felt the need.

Frankly, I'm not the "worrier" type who needs the justification of a test to prove (s)he's as good as (s)he thinks (s)he is. I've done it and I'm proud of what I've done.

I'm a clever guy - I've excelled in every academic test I've ever taken. (14 'O' levels, 6 'A' levels, 2 'S' levels, a Physics degree from IC, London, and a PhD at KCL). I have more qualifications (in spades) than 99% of people I've met. I don't see the need to be an arrogant SOB because of that. I've set up, run for a few years and successfully sold a company at an excellent profit. I've pretty much done it all - I'm now working in a dream job for a cool company in California and enjoying every minute of it.

And, in case you were thinking along the lines of privileged education etc., my mother is an estate agent, my father a docker, and I was the first in my family to ever go to University. Everyone has, since.

I *do* value intelligence (hell, I require it of interviewees). I just don't value Mensa tests. They're about as useful a measure of basic intelligence as the colour of the sky is of tomorrow's weather. "Red sky at night" will get you so far, but it's only a weighted average. Point made, I think.

Simon

Re:Ah. You tried to get into mensa.... (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11983090)

That's quite an ego you've got there. Care to brag a little more? We care, really.

Re:So what ? (5, Interesting)

metlin (258108) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982887)

I couldn't agree more.

What irritates me about Mensa is the fact that they consider intelligence to be purely a function of a few odd tests.

Hmm, how weird.

I've known some incredibly intelligent people who'd probably flunk these tests - folks that can play music so amazingly well and reproduce exact notes after hearing them just once.

The point is, intelligence is not a function of how well you can do in a few puzzles. And more importantly, it is not all that hard to ace the Mensa test if you prepare well enough for it - just spend a while solving puzzles and patterns, and it'll be a cakewalk.

It's almost like a self-righteous organization of sorts - hey, lookie! We can solve all these cool puzzles, therefore we'll pretend that we are smarter more than you all are.

Re:So what ? (2, Insightful)

glitch! (57276) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982902)

What irritates me about Mensa is the fact that they consider intelligence to be purely a function of a few odd tests.

You mean like gauging someone's artistic talents by "Can you draw Spunky?" :-)

Re:So what ? (1)

metlin (258108) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982955)

Something like that :-)

And the worst part is, calling yourself as one of the world's top 1-2% of artists just because you can draw Spunkys. Bah.

Re:So what ? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982911)

So, didn't pass the Mensa test did ya?

Re:So what ? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982939)

On the contrary - aced it and decided not to join them after seeing that they were nothing more than a bunch of self righteous pricks.

Re:So what ? (4, Insightful)

bonch (38532) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982920)

I've known people who were complete morons. Until you got them underneath a truck or at a baseball game, where they would know an engine inside out or remember the details of entire decades of team statistics. We've all got our specialties.

Just something to keep in mind...a lot of times, computer geeks think they're God's gift to the earth. There are lots of people smarter at you when it comes to things you know nothing about. I don't know a damn thing about making really good spaghetti or building a car engine. Variety and the collective versatility it creates is what makes society great.

Computer geeks. (1)

Eunuch (844280) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982985)

Not too long in the future we will become melded into computers. So the computer geeks are essentially practicing for their role as gods.

Re:Computer geeks. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11983071)

You're not as smart or entertaining as you think you are, Neal Stephenson.

Re:Computer geeks. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11983120)

Neither are you, uh, Bruce Stirling.

Re:Computer geeks. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11983107)

i for one welcome our new geek overlords

Re:So what ? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982925)

Most MENSA groups meet monthly for dinner and drinks, for get-togethers featuring a speaker or a lively, freewheeling discussion. Besides the test, it's not much different than a Linux User Group, IMO.

Re:So what ? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982948)

Disclaimer: I'm an Italian Mensan

First of all, the Cattel IQ benchmark used by Mensa has nothing to do with music skills or other ones because it was created to measure the so-called logical/mathematical IQ.

Maybe you've met some annoying mensans. Yes, there are _some_. But in my experience I discovered that mensans and geeks are more similar than you may think. Mensa hosts a lot of geeks, and, I'm sure, a lot of geeks could be mensans.

IMHO having a high IQ is nothing to be proud of, because it's something that you haven't earned or built, but there is.

Re:So what ? (1)

404 Clue Not Found (763556) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982966)

What do you consider intelligence/smartness to be, then? If musical ability makes one intelligent, what about other skills/talents? Being a good cook? Good painter?

I agree that Mensa seems to be an elitist organization which prides itself on being better able to solve stupid puzzles. However, that's the way they see the concept of "intelligence".

So are you saying that IQ != intelligence? What is intelligence, then, and how do you measure it?

(For what it's worth, I think IQ, intelligence, and Mensa are all overrated).

Re:So what ? (4, Insightful)

metlin (258108) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982991)

> So are you saying that IQ != intelligence?

No, I'm saying that IQ is not all that is there to intelligence.

You may get a fewer false positives, but you will get a lot of false negatives - lots of intelligent people who're good at other things might flunk the tests.

> What is intelligence, then, and how do you
> measure it?

There is no single measure, which was exactly my point.

Intelligence is not one thing, and you cannot have a single quantitative measure of it and label it as, "If you do well in these these tests, you'll fall under the top 1-2% of the intelligent folks in the world".

That is absolute bullshit. Solving mathematical and logical problems is just one facet of intelligence, there are several others - many, many more.

What about folks who cook amazingly well? Or paint amazingly well? Or who have a skill for language? There are a million other things - these could be people who'd not touch math or logic with a 10 foot pole, but could probably be extremely intelligent, in their own way.

I mean, would you say Michelangelo is dumb if he flunked a few multiple choice questions you threw at him? I think not. That was just my point.

> (For what it's worth, I think IQ, intelligence,
> and Mensa are all overrated).

Yup, you're spot on.

Re:So what ? (1)

404 Clue Not Found (763556) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983078)

Hmm, well, I personally wouldn't necessarily consider some of those things a sign of traditional "intelligence" -- they're more like skills or gifts -- but I can't give you a good definition of intelligence either so I won't say much. I guess I view it as more of a rationality / logical ability type thing, but perhaps I'm just tainted by the Mensan/IQ-based view.

Take Michelangelo, for example: I wouldn't make any sort of judgment on his intelligence based on his ability to draw. I wouldn't say he was dumb, but I wouldn't say he was smart either.

I guess my main issue with using "intelligence" in this fashion is that you've made it mean the same thing as "talented". I don't think they are necessarily the same thing... or are they? I don't know, actually.

But regardless, I still think it's overrated :)

Re:So what ? (4, Insightful)

metlin (258108) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983111)

See, if you consider artistic talents to be skills, then so are mathematical or logical abilities. Intelligence by that definition could also be construed as a gift of sorts, no different from someone who can draw.

I'm a sciences guy - I feel extremely comfortable under quantitative stuff, and do quite well in stuff related to that, too.

However, I know for a fact that I suck at qualitative stuff - and I've seen lots of people for whom those qualitative abilities are second nature. And some of these people lack the mathematical and logical skills that I do not find all that extraordinary.

Inherently, I've always known that I'll be in the sciences. And some of those folks have always known that they'd be in the arts.

The difference is, the society considers my abilities to be intelligence for the simple reason that it has easy, tangible, real world application. And perhaps because I fall under the minority of folks who are enjoy doing this stuff.

However, that does not necessarily make me smarter than them, atleast in my book. I know for a fact that I couldn't draw for nuts, even if I took lessons my entire life. Or for that matter, analyze and come up with designs. Or a lot of other things. These people can, and that is just no different from the way I do a math problem.

It is all the same, we're just using different abilities that each of us has been gifted with, that is all.

While I would agree that it is overrated, I would also add that its definition is being skewed by a handful few.

Re:So what ? (1)

jellybear (96058) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983144)

>What about folks who cook amazingly well? Or paint >amazingly well? Or who have a skill for language? >There are a million other things - these could be >people who'd not touch math or logic with a 10 foot >pole, but could probably be extremely intelligent, >in their own way.

I don't see how the existence of such people implies that mensa is a worthless organization. By the same token, language clubs, painting clubs, or cooking clubs should not exist either, because they do not take into account people who are good at puzzles. Or, perhaps, you are suggesting that we should only have one umbrella club that includes everybody? Or perhaps you are against the idea of clubs/societies in general?

I'm trying to understand what the real crux of your argument is. Is it just that mensa is perceived to be more pretentious than other clubs, and maybe should rename itself a puzzle-solver society? Or do you oppose the idea of people forming a social network based on test results?

Re:So what ? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11983097)

(For what it's worth, I think IQ, intelligence, and Mensa are all overrated).

Intelligence is overrated? Personally, all anti-intelligence arguments I've heard have been really stupid.

Re:So what ? (5, Insightful)

nbharatvarma (784546) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982968)

I was involved in setting up a mensa chapter at where I live (Hyderabad,India). I am also in touch with mensans from Bangalore. I cannot comment on the general attitude of mensans in America, but I never felt a lack of social skills in the mensans I know of.

We shouldn't mix social skills and intelligence. IQ by itself doesn't mean anything anymore. That way if you were a 99.99999 percentile, doesn't mean shit. You need emotional maturity to carry you through life. That way, except for those who want to boost up their egos, being a Mensan doesn't prove anything.

I look at Mensa as more of a common grounds for people to meet. Mensans I know are willing to help other Mensans. I have known people who made CEOs, who were entrepreneurs, MBAs so on. What I get is contacts. So, if I need guidance or advice, they are more than willing to help.

When one slashdot user meets another, there is an instant recognition. An instant willingness to help. (In India, the number of people who read slashdot are few). Mensa is pretty much the same thing. Atleast thats what I look at it.

Re:So what ? (5, Insightful)

RWerp (798951) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983119)

So Mensa is an "old boy network"? The worse for it. People will never forgive you belonging to circle they can't.

Re:So what ? (3, Interesting)

Reene (808293) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982987)

Not that I don't agree with the rest of your post, this just stood out to me:

I've known some incredibly intelligent people who'd probably flunk these tests - folks that can play music so amazingly well and reproduce exact notes after hearing them just once.

Depending on what part of the world they hail from, this ability is not at all unusual. Identifying a note like that is called perfect pitch [wikipedia.org] and it's extremely prominent among people that were raised learning tonal languages like Chinese and has a stronger presence among people who grew up playing musical instruments. Reproducing a note when you have perfect pitch is cake if you have rudimentary knowledge of the instrument.

Alright, I've digressed enough for one thread...

Re:So what ? (1)

eugene ts wong (231154) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983010)

Hi metlin.
The point is, intelligence is not a function of how well you can do in a few puzzles. And more importantly, it is not all that hard to ace the Mensa test if you prepare well enough for it - just spend a while solving puzzles and patterns, and it'll be a cakewalk.
Actually, I think that it's worse than that. The Mensa tests that I took were mostly word tests, which were hard because not everybody has the same vocabulary. That really bothered me.

So, I definitely agree with you all.

To add to it, I think Mensa made a big mistake by working with MSN on this venture. I'm not trying to bash Microsoft, but Mensa should know better; that is, if they really are all that smart.

Re:So what ? (1)

dtfinch (661405) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983089)

Actually, I think that it's worse than that. The Mensa tests that I took were mostly word tests, which were hard because not everybody has the same vocabulary. That really bothered me.

My experience exactly. They seem to define IQ as knowing lots and lots of words that you can use to be less understood by other english speakers. I was last reminded of this when someone bought me a calendar for Christmas with a mensa problem for every day of the year. It was nearly all vocab problems, the kind that require knowledge to solve, and the few math problems were very simple.

Re:So what ? (1)

RWerp (798951) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983126)

The Mensa tests that I took were mostly word tests, which were hard because not everybody has the same vocabulary. That really bothered me.

Hmmm. Not math quizes? Strange. In my area of the world, "IQ tests" concentrate on puzzles, logical quizzes and the like. Mostly measure analytical thinking. I didn't know it was different in the USA. Maybe they had to introduce vocabulary tests because Americans are so weak in mathematics...

Re:So what ? (1)

rm999 (775449) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982899)

The thing that annoys me about Mensa is it centers around pride for something you were born with, not something you earned. You can have an IQ of 180 and I still won't respect you if you don't do something great with it. People in Mensa (who show it off) think they are better than the average population because of they way they were born. How does that make them any better than one of those white pride people?

Re:So what ? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982918)

flamebit sucker

Re:So what ? (1)

datafr0g (831498) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982916)

Totally agree.

Intelligence is a vague term. I don't believe it really exists as a testable "thing" as people learn in different systems - what they can associate things with that fits comfortably into their envioronment.

Still, Mensa is ok - if a group of like minded people want to get together, that's cool. But they are not nessaceraly what I would consider to be a collective of intelligent people.

I have far more respect for those who just use what's refered to as common sense - that to me is the sign of real intelligence.

If only common sense was a little more common... :)

I couldn't agree more... (1)

absurdist (758409) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982931)

I've been invited to join MENSA. I've also gone to a few of their meetings. Essentially what they were were a number of individuals of dubious accomplishment and substantially lacking in social skills attempting to one-up each other and show how they were smarter than anyone else in the room. What a bunch of WOMBATs.

"I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

me (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982863)

wow

first (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982864)

post

has to be said (5, Funny)

no reason to be here (218628) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982867)

Mensa will put MSN's search on their new homepage.

That's not very smart.

Mensa (1, Informative)

Tango7 (680730) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982868)

Here's a quick link to the wikipedia entry on Mensa. Mensa [wikipedia.org] Some info on what Mensa's goals are. Mensa has three stated purposes: to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity; to encourage research in the nature, characteristics, and uses of intelligence; and to promote stimulating intellectual and social opportunities for its members. (from wikipedia)

Karma Whore (5, Funny)

mtrisk (770081) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982895)

Here's a quick link to the wikipedia entry on Karma Whore. Karma Whore [wikipedia.org] Some info on what Karma Whore's goals are. Karma Whore has three stated purposes: to post information about a topic that everyone already knows; to link to wikipedia, because wikipedia pwns; and most importantly, to sell his/her brain to slashdot in order to whore karma. (from my cortex)

Re:Karma Whore (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11983041)

It's funny because it's true!

Re:Mensa (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982897)

So, you gotta wonder, why on earth is MS affiliated with them!?

Re:Mensa (1)

AndroidCat (229562) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982912)

So long as they don't have a "life is short/but the days are long" pass-phrase, I doubt there's much to worry about.

Re:Mensa (1)

eugene ts wong (231154) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983048)

to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity; to encourage research in the nature, characteristics, and uses of intelligence;
I don't see how they intend to do that. If people below the standard aren't allowed in and Mensa doesn't have outreach programs, then I think that they are hard pressed to reach those 2 goals.

Perhaps they intend to do things through their own personal relationships. That doesn't seem too wise to me.

gnaa (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982869)

gay nigger association of america

Re:gnaa (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982893)

Try it - you'll like it :

Gay Niggers From Outer Space [imdb.com]

The power of MSN and Mensa (5, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982874)

If there was ever a group of self-important dweebs who deserved each other more, I can't imagine it.

Go right ahead (2, Interesting)

bonch (38532) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982875)

This will have what...zero effect?

People love Google. I actually saw Jay Leno mention Google as part of a related joke, and some in the audience began cheering and applauding.

Makes one think Mensa is rather...retarded.

Re:Go right ahead (0, Troll)

christopher240240 (633932) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982930)

Yeah, but Jay Leno is not funny.

Re:Go right ahead (1)

NonSequor (230139) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983080)

He's funny looking and, quite frankly, that's enough for me.

To sum up: (5, Funny)

Glowing Fish (155236) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982877)

To sum up everyone's responses to this:
1. No one respects Mensa since they base their membership on tests of dubious veracity and not on real world accomplishments.
2. And signing up with a deal with MSN kind of just drives the point home, doesn't it?

Re:To sum up: (3, Insightful)

eln (21727) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982926)

Exactly. I can't decide whether the point of this deal is for Mensa to drive MSN's reputation into the ground, or the other way around.

Re:To sum up: (1)

Glowing Fish (155236) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982958)

MSN has a reputation?
I guess if they have a reputation, its "another generic web portal", kind of like Yahoo!, only Yahoo!, as bland as it is, is rather useful.

Re:To sum up: (1)

eugene ts wong (231154) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983018)

Maybe MSN is trying to get the last laugh, by saying, "Look at how stupid they were to sign a deal with us!! Lol! Lol! Hey, wait a minute...".

Re:To sum up: (1)

ArsenneLupin (766289) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983140)

Nope, they both conspired to drive Electronic Arts' [ea.com] reputation into the ground.

Retards... (-1, Offtopic)

dameron (307970) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982879)

:)

Too bad.... (4, Funny)

stefanlasiewski (63134) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982883)

featuring Mensa questions on the MSN homepage, and Mensa will put MSN's search on their new homepage.

Whatever, that's fine with me.

It's just really too bad they keep spelling it "Msna".

Re:Too bad.... (1)

Mr.Progressive (812475) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982982)

You can't spell Mensa without M S N...

IQ Tests (0, Redundant)

camcloud1 (758094) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982894)

Are used to measure how well you perform on IQ tests. That's it.

Does this actually matter? (2, Interesting)

dcclark (846336) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982913)

Call me cynical, but how many people will this affect in any way? I see Google or MSN search boxes on all sorts of pages, but I never use them. They seem like a strange relic, more of a "Look what I can add to my site!" element. If I want to search for something, I'll go to Google itself or the handy-dandy search box in my browser's toolbar.

On the other side of things, I can't ever find ANYTHING on the horribly busy and disorganized MSN homepage anyhow, so I'm not sure MENSA questions on there will even be noticed.

Given all of that... if MENSA has someone new to feed them money for events, more power to them. I don't think there's anything to really care about here.

MENSA is not THAT smart.. (1, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982919)

From their eligiblity page: http://www.us.mensa.org/join_mensa/testscores.php3

Among many options, one only needs 1300 (out of 1600) on SAT. These days, MANY people easily get 1300. How many is many? 1300 ranks about 90%tile; which means, about 10% have 1300 or better...and that's only EACH test session. Even you can easily qualify for this so-called high IQ society, go to their parties to feed on your self-centered ego

Re:MENSA is not THAT smart.. (2, Informative)

Ars-Fartsica (166957) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982989)

...and the top ten percent know they are smart, they don't need to join a support group to have other people tell them that.

Mensa is not really a society of smart people, it is a society of insecure people...who happened to pass a puzzle test.

Re:MENSA is not THAT smart.. (3, Informative)

Eel IzCool (810960) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983013)

That was for an older version of the SAT. The SAT no longer measures IQ, apparently. Also, on that version, I would guess that a 1300 was around the 98th percentile, because they let the top 2% of people in. ALSO, it should be noted that Mensa is a high IQ society, not a high intelligence society (Though some people suggest defining intelligence as what IQ measures...) ALSO ALSO, sometimes I think about trying to join Mensa, mostly just so I could meet more people. And to rub in my friends faces.

Re:MENSA is not THAT smart.. (3, Informative)

greg1104 (461138) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983035)

> Among many options, one only needs 1300 (out of 1600) on SAT. These days, MANY people easily get 1300.

You don't get a qualifying Mensa reading comprehension score with this statement. You need a >1300 if you took test before 9/30/74, back when it was hard. They clearly state that they haven't considered the SAT to correlate with IQ for over ten years now; 1994 was the last year they accepted those scores.

I had to say it..... [sorry] (1)

Jeff Benjamin (528348) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982932)

Does anyone else see the irony here?

Re:I had to say it..... [sorry] (2, Insightful)

NanotechLobster (866263) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983131)

*raises hand* Oooh! Oooh! I do!

From Mensa to Moron in 24 hours (0, Flamebait)

No2Gates (239823) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982935)

If someone has enough intelligence to be a member of Mensa, wouldn't that indicate that they have the brains to NOT use the crap that MS puts out???

Oh, great....! (-1, Redundant)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982937)

A company who believes they're better then you teams up with a group who believes they're better then you.

What next?

The intended effect vs. the actual effect (1)

Stick_Fig (740331) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982947)

The Intended Effect: "Hey, smart people use Microsoft products! I should too!"

The Actual Effect: "Man, we're not very smart! We wasted all that money on the search program nobody uses."

make sense (5, Funny)

prockcore (543967) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982949)

It makes sense. A mensa membership carries about the same degree of prestige as an MSCE cert.

(Read: none at all)

Possibly silly theory. (1, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11982959)

This is a direct response to the Google Aptitude Test. [google.com]

Microsoft has been trying to coopt academia for years. Now I guess they're trying to coopt "smart people" before Google does.

Star-Wars free association (1)

SuperKendall (25149) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982967)

For some reason, as I read this story the thought of Count Dooku aligning with the Sith just sprung to mind.

Of course, I just finished watching all twenty Clone Wars cartoons for the first time...

Re:Star-Wars free association (1)

NonSequor (230139) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983092)

Your timing is impeccable. The first cartoon of Volume II airs on on Monday [cartoonnetwork.com]

Top 2% of the population? (1)

n0dalus (807994) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982975)

Seriously, the top 2% isn't that special.
There are numerous other IQ societies that will only accept entrants with IQ's in the top 0.x%

Maybe Google will sponsor the triple-9 society or some other higher IQ society to counteract this? (people with IQ's in the 99.9 percentile)

Re:Top 2% of the population? (1)

bonch (38532) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982993)

Maybe these upper-echelon factions battle each other in roving street gangs and hold random dance-offs whenever they meet each other on the street.

"You got SERVED!" -- random uber-dork wearing Harry Potter glasses and cape

Nothing more sad than MENSA (1, Troll)

Ars-Fartsica (166957) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982980)

The ultimate collection of smart losers, getting together to form a support group based loosely on the notion that although they have had sand kicked repeatedly in their faces, they will one day rule the earth because they can solve a word puzzle faster than their boss at work.

No, they will continue to be smart losers and nothing more, which is why you will rarely find Nobel Prize winners, CEOs, or generally succesful people skulking in their midst.

Next week on slashdot... (2, Funny)

xgamer04 (248962) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982984)

Breaking news! Microsoft partners with Johnson and Hollings Advertising firm! This is important because Johnson just had a baby! Microsoft and babies!!! What next?

Mensa is great (2, Insightful)

bahwi (43111) | more than 9 years ago | (#11982988)

But trivia questions do not equal intelligence.

My favorite I've seen is a Mensa sticker on a beat-up Honda with no rear-bumper. Yeah, probably a teacher or something, which is a great and noble profession, but whatever happened to spending 5 or 10 years and getting a nest-egg to live comfortably(at least to repair the car and make it street legal! this one was really bad!).

Ah well, Mensa is the most intelligent Trivia people I've ever met, some are amazing and intelligence and pure genius, most are doped-up idiots. Sorry, even the country club will have intelligent people and idiots, Mensa is no different, no gold though.

Mensa, eh (2, Interesting)

truesaer (135079) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983003)

I think my GRE scores qualify me for Mensa...but I'm not inclined to join. To pay money to be part of a smart persons club that provides no real benefits other than status seems pretty dumb to me. Not quite as bad as sending money to a Nigerian prince, but not good either.


Think about this for a minute...a good score on the GRE which consists of basic reading comprehension and 9th grade algebra gets you into a special smart persons club?

What the hell are all you non-MENSAns whining (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11983005)

about?

I'm a proud Mensa geek and it's one of the better drinking clubs I've joined...

I'd tell you all how great it was but I just don't remember much about the meetings - except perhaps a somewhat vague recollection of ending up being covered with body paint and woofing into the bushes around the corner from "Bar Lezard" on St. Denis Street at 3am...

The "Bridge Masters" mafia of Mensa on the other hand tend to be a rather dull group. What a bunch of dorks!

Linux evangelization at Mensa in New Orleans (3, Informative)

smartfart (215944) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983006)

I was contacted [nolug.org] back in January by the committee that's putting on MensAGumbo [mensa.org] here in July. Apparently RedHat declined their invitation to run a booth or give a presentation, but I readily accepted :-)

I plan on using a variation of these bullet points [kellynetco...rvices.com] for my presentation. If any of you slashdotters happen to be at MensAGumbo, please come and cheer me on, say hi, etc.

Not to ruin things (0, Flamebait)

smartsaga (804661) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983012)

But Mensa in fact means stupid or dumb in spanish...


So NO, I don't buy it!!!


Your Mensa are belong to us... get it? (not really but who cares)


Have a good one.

Re:Not to ruin things (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11983054)

Actually you are wrong. Mensa means "table" in Spanish.

Re:Not to ruin things (1)

smartsaga (804661) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983122)

Wrong. What you are refering to is the four letter word "Mesa".

Nice try though.

Common Sense (1)

datafr0g (831498) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983024)

There's Mensas "Intelligence"
There's Microsofts "Intelligence"
Then there's plain good old fashioned Common Sense.

I know which one I'd rather aspire towards.

Fuck 'em (2, Insightful)

themusicgod1 (241799) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983025)

Throwing aside any accusations towards the organizations involved and looking purely at the people within them and the intentions of Mensa (if not the reality) there is a great irony. MSN User #121402: OMfG!11!!onehundredeleven! im so hpy - C U L8r GurlZ! The fact that the so called "Top 5% of the population" in terms of intelligence would want to be associated with that is delicious. The society that centres around the use of MSN consists mainly of 13 year olds who have just discovered that they can post blogs of their useless opinions and hopeless angst. Anyhow, can't say they don't deserve eachother. I suppose I can see how Mensa might want to advertise with MSN though. I mean, they've got to perpetuate their member-base somehow. "Angst-ridden kids" is actually a step up from "pompus, elitist old men with no practical skills (but a knack for IQ tests)".

My problem with Mensa's standards... (2, Interesting)

ParadoxicalPostulate (729766) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983028)


I have no personal experience with Mensa members. I remember being referred to the "practice exam" by a friend in high school, that's where I picked up some preliminary information on the group itself.

That said, my main problem with Mensa is not their stated goal of creating an environment in which intelligent discourse can flourish.

My problem is also not with the fact that, in order to accomplish such goals, they must exclude a certain (sizable) portion of the population from their "enlightened organization."

The issue that I personally have with Mensa is that their standards are established not to accept people with some acceptable level of genius and potential, but rather to accept people who are "better than 99% of the rest of humanity."

Thus, they are elitist in the purest sense of what I understand the term to mean. If their standards of admission were designed with the intent to merely keep the general body to a basic level of intelligence and competency, why index them against the average IQ of contemporary human beings? Bear in mind that, according to their admission testing, at no time can more than 2% of the population be members of Mensa (assuming universal application). The implicit assumption is that the vast majority of humanity is incapable of civil discourse and intelligent discussion (at least on the level that they would like), but I see no reason why this should be the case.

I see the sub-par intellectuality of humankind as a practical failure, the burden of which is borne by the entire race. To me there appear no deep reasons to believe that the population must be divided into the two subgroups of which we are so fond: the brains and the brawn. It is true that some people will always be smarter, wiser, and more capable than others. However, I see such considerations to be largely irrelevant except when one considers the scholarly pursuits of the natural and social sciences. And in such a case, I would argue that chance and circumstance (by the latter I mean the state of society and associated research at the time of advancement) play a role so important that they may overshadow small differences in individual ingenuity.

Re:My problem with Mensa's standards... (2, Funny)

Feztaa (633745) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983114)

The implicit assumption is that the vast majority of humanity is incapable of civil discourse and intelligent discussion (at least on the level that they would like), but I see no reason why this should be the case.

Obviously you've never worked in any sort of call center (tech support or otherwise).

(kidding! ;)

Makes Perfect Sense (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11983036)

Microsoft has to basically pay off some third-rate amateurs' club in order to create a notion that their corporate culture highly values intelligence, while Google actually produces their own half-way intelligent challenges which actually show that they have some talent.

MSN is sponsering Mensa. Get in Mensa easily! (4, Interesting)

Man in Spandex (775950) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983038)

Get some b00bs like Asia Carrera.
Asia Carrera has to be one of the most intriguing women of the adult movie industry. A member of the high-IQ organization MENSA, Asia ranks with the most intelligent and accomplished ladies to have ever appeared in X-rated films.
from a Google search result [google.ca]

What're they worth? (2, Interesting)

hyperion454 (766214) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983040)

Has MENSA even contributed anything to society? Ever? What's the last scientific breakthrough these fucking "geniuses" have had? I'm a college CSE student at __THE__ Ohio State Unviersity who's just had 17 Bud lights, yet I'm typing with perfect grammar. Let me in, MENSTtruation. I'm smarter than all those fuckers. Cocksuckers.

Re:What're they worth? (1)

hyperion454 (766214) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983047)

My bad. I misspelled University. Guess my grammar isn't perfect, after all.

Re:What're they worth? (1)

hyperion454 (766214) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983051)

And Lights should probably be capitalized.

Re:What're they worth? (1)

hyperion454 (766214) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983057)

MENSTRuation doesn't really make sense, does it? Fuck. Now I sound like an idiot. I'm really not, though. Promise.

Re:What're they worth? (1)

hyperion454 (766214) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983063)

I'm a good proofreader though.

Re:What're they worth? (1)

Reene (808293) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983060)

Let me in, MENSTtruation.
Speaking from experience, I can say with great certainty that menstruation and the woes that come with it are far more bearable and indeed enjoyable than suffering a room full of MENSA members drifting about like so much spooge in a toilet bowl.

Re:What're they worth? (1)

hyperion454 (766214) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983086)

Menstruation only has one "t." I told you I'm a good proofreader. Also, in my previous post I forgot a comma (,), and I sincerely apologize.

MENSA or /. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11983062)

A stated goal of MENSA is creating an environment in which intelligent discourse can flourish.

Slashdot?

I am serious (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11983077)

I just withdrew my membership from Mensa.

They make good bedfellows... (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#11983096)

Mensa is the biggest group of Mental Masturbators ever.

Seriously.

Accept their offer (cmon, anyone can score in the top 2% on a REAL iq test not those corny ass web ones) and go to one of their meetings.

It basically consists of "rah rah rah, we're smart and this is what smart people do". A few were genuinely interested in intelligence and brought some interesting puzzles--but for most of them its just mental masturbation to the extreme.

Most people there had no practical ability IMO. They were your typical college students and adults who had high GPA (I have a 4.0 and it means nothing IMO) but had no ability to apply it or do something useful. They memorized facts. Ask them something that they hadn't read and they'd be totally blown away and couldn't answer. It'd be fun watching them squirm :)

Real smart people don't join Mensa. People who want to be smart join Mensa.

It's a perfect target for ms... (2, Funny)

Albert Sandberg (315235) | more than 9 years ago | (#11983143)

.. because everybody knows anybody with the IQ over a mouse should run linux ;) .Albert
Load More Comments
Slashdot Account

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Don't worry, we never post anything without your permission.

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>
Create a Slashdot Account

Loading...