Beta

Slashdot: News for Nerds

×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

New Releases for Debian and SUSE

timothy posted more than 9 years ago | from the don't-move-along-something-to-see dept.

Debian 223

linuxbeta writes "With the recent SUSE LINUX 9.3 Live DVD ISO released, we get a sneak peek. (screenshots) of this much anticipated OS update. Cool updates in 9.3 includes Firefox 1.0, OpenOffice.org 2.0, Gimp 2.2, Beagle. Xen, VoIP client, and more." And while Debian's Sarge isn't here yet (give Branden Robinson a chance to find his plush new office!), wrochal points out that the fifth update to Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 ("Woody" ) has arrived. 3.0 (r5) "mainly adds security updates to the stable release, along with a few corrections to serious problems." Also, four packages were removed, three for license violations.

cancel ×

223 comments

Grr. (4, Insightful)

Sexy Bern (596779) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263832)

It's "peek", not "peak", ffs.

Word usuage.. (4, Funny)

spineboy (22918) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263854)

Well there was a mountain-load of screen shots.

Re:Word usuage.. (1)

Sexy Bern (596779) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263867)

Ouch! The punnage!

Re:Word usuage.. (2, Insightful)

michelcultivo (524114) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264094)

Screenshots is not valid to see if the distribution is well developed and is in a solid state to use.
I can't see in screenshots if a application is the best to use, if it haven't bugs. Any search in google brings me a lot of screenshots. [google.com]

Way to stay on the edge.. (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263895)

Cool updates in 9.3 includes Firefox 1.0, OpenOffice.org 2.0, Gimp 2.2

They can't seriously think it's ok to be that far behind?

Re:Way to stay on the edge.. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263951)

learn about debian and be quiet.

Re:Way to stay on the edge.. (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263954)

I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic here seeing as OO.org is/was recently in beta, and the GIMP 2.2 isn't even classed as 'stable' in Gentoo yet. SUSE are known to be version number chasers. They've been doing it for a while, and if they're not careful it could bite them in the ass.

Re:Way to stay on the edge.. (3, Interesting)

ssj_195 (827847) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263968)

OO.o at least is officially on 1.1.14; 2.0 is merely a beta. Gimp 2.2 is not that old, but yes, I'd expect 2.4, at least. I've immensely surprised about Firefox, though - very strange indeed, especially as nearly all of the updates since 1.0 have been security based, rather than adding new and unstable features.

The fourth package's removal reason? (5, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263905)

It was too sexy.

Re:The fourth package's removal reason? (5, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263920)

According to debian.org the reason for removing the other package was: "Program doesn't work anymore".

I guess that's an acceptable reason.

Re:The fourth package's removal reason? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263927)

It's an IM client that speaks an obsolete protocol (gabu gabu or something like that) that nobody uses.

Re:The fourth package's removal reason? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263955)

NOOOO! How will I contact my friends that only have gabu gabu now?!

Re:The fourth package's removal reason? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263957)

IIRC gabu-gabu is one of those russian things. They have their own little world over there.

Re:The fourth package's removal reason? (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263973)

It's called gadu gadu and there have been recently added a package called libgadu3 to testing("sarge").

Re:The fourth package's removal reason? (1)

A beautiful mind (821714) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264025)

Just use ekg.

Btw, Gadu gadu is a polish messenger. FYI.

Re:The fourth package's removal reason? (5, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264057)

Btw, Gadu gadu is a polish messenger.

Ah, now that makes sense. I've heard a lot of people say that Debian lacks polish.

Re:The fourth package's removal reason? (2, Interesting)

m50d (797211) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264059)

Do you know what these license violations were? The links to the packages are all broken, presumably because the packages have been removed.

Re:The fourth package's removal reason? (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264084)

Yes. Scroll to the bottom of this page [debian.org] and read under the heading "Removed Packages".

Re:The fourth package's removal reason? (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264461)

Do you know what these license violations were? The links to the packages are all broken, presumably because the packages have been removed.

Yes, the reasons are listed here at the very bottom: http://people.debian.org/~joey/3.0r5/ [debian.org]

  • eemu, eemu-client - Bug#258921: License violation. Debian is not permitted to apply changes other than for paths and directories.
  • gg-gnome, gg-gtk, gg - Bug#257620: Package can not be used anymore due to protocol changes.
  • gstar - Bug#252885: GPL licensed with non-free component, hence not distributable
  • xzx - Bug#240941: This package cannot legally distributed with its current license that forbids any modifications.

Removed packages? (-1, Flamebait)

zecg (521666) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263906)

That's the way to go, Debian! Less software is just what you need if you don't want your users to defect Ubuntu or Gentoo. In times when every distribution offers more and more packages, offering less is really innovative.

Re:Removed packages? (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263941)

There are est. 20 new packages each week inserted into testing("sarge").
this is a maintenance release.
unfortunatly.

Re:Removed packages? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263998)

Ubuntu is Debian with 'less software', dick.

Package Removal (0, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263909)

Has anyone else seriously considered sexual reassignment surgery. As a fellow pre-op transexual, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Multimedia (3, Insightful)

spineboy (22918) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263915)

Getting multimedia to work with Suse is still somewhat of a pain. Yes mplayer does a fairly good job, but there are still tons of files/formats that just don't play right off the bat. I'm a fairly advanced user and have been using Linux for six years now. I actually bought COdeweavers and have installed mplayer. I still get plenty of problems with various formats, but eventually get it to play.

This strategy will not "draw" in the crowds - most people give up before tinkering with the system. It has to work smoothly right out of the install (mostly).

I generally think Suse is one of the most polished distros out there, but it still has a way to go with multimedia, to get it to appeal to joe-computer user and Grandma who are scared of "breaking" things on the computer.

Linux is on the cusp from going from "hacker" OS to main-stream, but still has some catching up to Windows in certain things - mainly multimedia. Yes I know there are plenty of programs that work great - but the average user, I think, would not have the expertise to get it to work easily right off the DVD.

Re:Multimedia (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263964)

For the specific case of multimedia playback, the problems are mainly because the media corporations have got national governments in the US and EU to pass unjust laws making it exceptionally difficult for linux distros to legally support playback of many video formats. There's little technical obstacle, it's just the distro manufacturer not wanting to get sued for software patent infringement. I think the only long-term solution is a micronuke at the patent office.

Re:Multimedia (3, Interesting)

hacker (14635) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263969)

These all work great on Debian and have for years, if you use the w32codecs package from a non-Debian package repository.

I'm sure SuSE can't ship it because it requires packaging some potentially copyright-violating codecs that are the byproduct of reverse-engineered streams and other "unscrupulous" things.

I can use mplayer, xine, xmms to play dvd, cd, mp3, mpeg, wav, ogg, ogm, avi, RealMedia, Windows Media, QuickTime, and probably a dozen of others that don't come to mind right now...

Just because SuSE doesn't have it, doesn't mean it can't be done with Linux.

Re:Multimedia (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264031)

Let's not beat around the bush -- distributing the w32codecs package is a copyright violation and there's nothing "potential about it. It is illegal everywhere under the Bern Convention.

Whether you care or not is your problem, but Linux distros tend to be picky about this copyright stuff.

Re:Multimedia (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264171)

Illegal everywhere except North Korea that is.

Re:Multimedia (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264283)

The Great Leader prefers RealPlayer.

Re:Multimedia (1)

nietzsche_freak (804786) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264172)

parse error: missing terminating " character

Re:Multimedia--BS (0)

LittleLebowskiUrbanA (619114) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263981)

You're on crack, right? You actually bought Codeweavers to run MPlayer ? The project that bills itself as "The video player for Linux"?
So what was too difficult?
1. Googling for the MPlayer RPM?
2. Using apt to install it (apt-get install
MPlayer)
3. Untarring it and installing it the old fashioned
way.

Or.... buying Codeweavers to run a Windows port of a Linux app on Linux.
Let me help you. Install apt and apt-libs. Run apt-get update, apt-get install MPlayer. Got it? [ftp.gwdg.de]
As far as MP3s go, I have Suse 9.3 right here and Juk playing all of my music imported right off my iPod which was supported fine using ipod:/ in Konqueror just as Suse said it would be.
I know you're probably either just trolling or afraid to actually Google for something but did you know there's 4 Multimedia packs you can download and install for free in Suse 9.3 using Yast?

mplayer and copyrighted DVDs (1)

80 85 83 83 89 33 (819873) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264039)

not to troll here, (and using a windows port would turn me off too) but half the time we either can't get audio to play correctly in mplayer, or the damn copy protection is causing problems. methinks RIAA is making it tough for linux users. actually, almost everywhere i go, i see problems with playing back rented or bought DVDs, even on (especially on) stand alone DVD players for TVs.

Re:mplayer and copyrighted DVDs (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264311)

I work at a video rental store, and every week have a pile of new releases I must watch to be able to make recommendations to customers. I have never, ever had a problem playing a DVD on my computer. DVDs play just fine in ogle or mplayer (or totem), and the sound is totally dependable. Sounds like you have a problem with your individual setup.

Re:Multimedia (2, Interesting)

ssj_195 (827847) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263997)

Unfortunately, media formats are things that tend to be patented to the hilt, so I'm guessing Novell have to tread very carefully with what formats they can support out of the box. It's worth noting that in other distros (e.g. Mandrake via the PLF, and Gentoo; probably others, too), getting mplayer to play damn near every format in existence is pretty much effortless.

Re:Multimedia (1, Interesting)

h4rm0ny (722443) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263999)


I've just moved from Mandrake 10.1 to Ubuntu (Sarge in disguise) and it's beautiful. Almost everything I'm installing is saying "No, I don't want anything more thanks, I've got all my dependancies right here." The same goes for multimedia - most of it was ready for me, and the rest was remedied by a quick download and uncompressing of the essential codecs package at mplayerhq.

If we can just hold off the European patent laws a little longer then I think we've almost arrived at user-friendly linux.

Re:Multimedia (1)

jdray (645332) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264003)

I'm running SUSE 9.1 and know just what you mean. What really seems strange to me is that Kaffeine is included as a standard component with the system, but the default "run with" application for most media files seems to be Noatun, which, as far as I can tell doesn't play much. Almost every time I try to play something, it won't play in Noatun but plays fine in Kaffeine. [grumble, grumble...]

The biggest pain is that, without a convoluted chain of software installation that I can't seem to accomplish (I'm no luser, but I'm no l33t h4ck either), I can't play DVDs. [grrr....]

On another front, I was reading that the 9.3 release is supposed to have better capabilities where roaming from one wireless network to another is concerned. With 9.1, every time I try to use a different network, I lose the key for my primary network at home and have to re-enter it when I get home. [grumble, grumble...]

Re:Multimedia (2, Informative)

LittleLebowskiUrbanA (619114) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264029)

A roaming profile tool came out with 9.2 and is still with 9.3. Update your system.

Re:Multimedia (1)

LittleLebowskiUrbanA (619114) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264061)

Forgot to mention this earlier but it's not that hard to watch DVDs in Suse. Install apt. apt-get update, apt-get install MPlayer.

Re:Multimedia (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264127)

The problem you are haveing playing DVD's is normal. Linux (out of the box) dosen't support CSS Decoding, dvd protection software, becuase of legal problems. The only DVD the system will play without any additional libraries are those that do not have CSS Protection, which means that 99% of the ones you buy you won't be able to play. Now there is a work around for this but for reasons I can't tell you where to get the file you need, it is illegal (if you live in the US and other Countries) but all you need to id DVD Jon and you probably can figure it out from there.

Re:Multimedia (2, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264006)

This is what's frustrating me especially now as linux draws ever closer to working just how an OS should. I'm getting old too, and the constant poking at ever changing (but almost there!) systems is wearing thin.

At times, I feel we're always taking another step half way to completion. 5 years ago it was 50% there, later, 75%. Wasn't long until 87.5%... then 92%... the closer we get, the slower the refining a good desktop OS. the SuSE multimedia isn't too bad a problem all up, but as an oldbie I'm tired of fiddling. Ubuntu, Debian Sarge, Sid, Gentoo, FC3, Mandrake. None with show stopping bugs, but always something that doesn't work right and I have to chase down. A Graphics card not supported at full native LCD resolution. Sound not working how it should. Good, but not perfect. Five out of ten common media formats playing OK on one distro, 7 out of 10 on another, and a different 6 out of 10 on yet another. All work, but only across 3 distros and I just can't be bothered chasing down the exact reasons why to fix them, because I know they'll break (just a little bit, not even a great deal) in the next release.

What you've read are the rantings of a unix oldbie who is so frustrated with linux creeping ever so close to complete usability in my eyes, but never-quite-getting-there. My son in law uses OS X, and allows me to use his powerbook as I need. Never thought I'd say it, but I'm considering using a mac. Might even delete that terminal and sit in my rocking chair listening to DRM music and relax.

Hell, I can always come back to Linux when it's 'there' for me, right?

Re:Multimedia (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264030)

Uhhh you should try using Gentoo now. Nearly everything works as it should out of the box, and except for some problems I always have with printers it can do everything you need. Don't worry about mplayer, it'll do all you need - you don't need to do anything special but get everything working with it and your right.

Re:Multimedia (3, Interesting)

kosmosik (654958) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264043)

> I generally think Suse is one of the most
> polished distros out there, but it still has a
> way to go with multimedia, to get it to appeal
> to joe-computer user and Grandma who are scared
> of "breaking" things on the computer.

They removed some multimedia support (DVD, MP3? I think it is about it) from some *reasons* not just because they cannot make it right. These reasons are legal difficulties - namely MP3 codec distribution issues (it is not free, when you distribute more than 100000 copies you need to pay Philips AFAIK) and DVD-CSS issues (I think it is illegal in US). SuSE is now US based (Novell) and they need to be legal. I belive only free (as in beer) version is crippled without multimedia. If you actually *buy* boxed set it should play MP3 and so on (I don't know how with DVD-CSS but they just could attach some propertiary program to play DVDs). So if you wish to pay you will get paid multimedia features, if you wish not to pay you don't and need to get it running on your own (which is perfectly legal - it just cannot be distributed this way).

So it is not like Linux distributors don't want to distribute this stuff - they cannot.

> Linux is on the cusp from going from "hacker" OS
> to main-stream, but still has some catching up
> to Windows in certain things - mainly multimedia.

I use Linux on daily basis as my workstation and never had any problems (well actually there were some like 5 years ago - now it is close to perfect) with multimedia. Mplayer plays just about any file format you can imagine - I often find Windows Media Player to not play some files, mplayer does it all out-of-the-box - no problems with searching for codecs etc. with proper setup you just click on file and it plays - I don't have any problems with multimedia and Linux. There are some areas that Linux is lacking, but IMHO it is not multimedia...

My distro of choice is Fedora - it also comes without some multimedia support - but adding it is as simple as adding one line to config file and issuing one command. For grandpa or smth. it is a matter of opening terminal and copying and pasting
one command. And then it works so please don't dramatize. Or go get boxed paid distribution and you will get it all out-of-the-box.

> Yes I know there are plenty of programs that
> work great - but the average user, I think,
> would not have the expertise to get it to work
> easily right off the DVD.

Look it is like installing one program and running it and you got DVD running. It is exactly the same as on Windows (does Windows Media Player play DVDs?). Actually I usually recommend anyone using Windows to install VLC Media Player - from my experience it works best. It is like somebody IMs or calls me and asks "look I've got this AVI file from my mail and I click it and it does not play - what should I do?" and I just point them to website or give them setup.exe URL and it works for them, where Windows Media Player does not. And VLC is aviable on Linux too.

Re:Multimedia (1)

RidiculousPie (774439) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264114)

Windows media player will not play DVDs out of the box. However it will play them if you install other DVD software, eg. PowerDVD or WinDVD. I also recommend VLC, it plays everything media related I have ever found. At risk of flying wildly off topic, FFDShow (IIRC) provides some codecs for windows and is on Sourceforge, but it doesn't enable WMP to play DVDs, I don't know of any free software (GPL or similar) that does, but would be interested to hear if anyone knows of any.

Re:Multimedia (1)

kosmosik (654958) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264456)

> Windows media player will not play
> DVDs out of the box.

So this is exactly like with SuSE - you need to perform additional steps to watch DVD - namely install software.

Excuse me? (1)

FreeLinux (555387) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264148)

Can Linspire [linspire.com] play DVDs? Why, yes. It can play DVD's. [linspire.com] What's more, the Linsoire DVD player is Xine. Some how, little Linspire has managed to figure out how to legally play MP3's and DVD's.

If Linspire can do it, then there is no excuse for any commercial distro not to be able to play MP3s and DVDs. Just like real commercial distros such as Windows [microsoft.com] and OS X [apple.com] are capable of.

Re:Excuse me? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264257)

It's actually quite easy -- Linspire just paid the DVD tax, just like Apple did.* So that's quite simple if you don't care about your OS not being redistributable. Linspire also negotiated a deal with Microsoft to ship Windows Media support, IIRC.

(* Windows doesn't actually play DVDs OOB, but your Hardware OEM probably bundled the software on your machine.)

Re:Multimedia (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264199)

These reasons are legal difficulties - namely MP3 codec distribution issues (it is not free, when you distribute more than 100000 copies you need to pay Philips AFAIK)

You have to pay to Thomson [mp3licensing.com] , which collects for the various patent holders (apparently Fraunhofer, Thomson and Coding Technologies). And judging from their roality rates, you pay from the first unit.

SuSE is now US based (Novell) and they need to be legal.

Well, they also had to 'be legal' as a German company. They even had to comply with US law if they wanted to do business in the USA (which they did). Maybe the concerns (or awareness? Or pressure?) just got bigger.

My distro of choice is Fedora - it also comes without some multimedia support - but adding it is as simple as adding one line to config file and issuing one command.

At least for MP3s, you don't even have to add a line to a config file with SuSE 9.3. Just run Yast Online Update, select the multimedia packages and you are done.

Re:Multimedia - Your complaint in context (1)

delire (809063) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264196)


Getting multimedia to work with Windows XP is still somewhat of a pain. Yes Windows Media Player does a fairly good job, but there are still tons of files/formats that just don't play right off the bat..

Annotated Links: http://www.google.dk/search?hl=da&q=windows+%2B%22 can't+play+divx%22&btnG=S%C3%B8g&meta= [google.dk]

Re:Multimedia (1, Flamebait)

LittleLebowskiUrbanA (619114) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264301)

Mods are on crack today. Modding up as Insightful some idiot who can't install Mplayeron Linux? Especially a distro that has precompiled MPlayer rpms built for it?

Re:Multimedia (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264307)

It's Sunday evening and all, so I'll bite. Been using Linux exclusively for 4 years, without any problems (even with an ATI card running xorg-x11!)

I agree SuSE is relatively advanced in terms of Linux distros - it's updated quickly and smoothly, and they have the whole boxed distro w/ included manuals thing going (YaST rules, yo!).

But getting multimedia capabilities & cutting edge packages right off the bat - well, of course, I'd recommend Gentoo for that.

# emerge win32codecs
# emerge mplayer

Or, in place of mplayer:

# emerge xine-ui

whatever takes your fancy, really.

What more could you need? Real/AVI/MPEG/etc, all available right off the bat in win32codecs. Incl. decss (or # emerge libdvdcss if you'd rather) for DVD playback.

Smooth? Oh yeah. I think SuSE/Redhat et. al. are good and all, but for the hardcore Linux user, I'd recommend Gentoo to get the best experience. especially when it comes to multimedia. If you're a n00b &/or installing an ub3r-n00b's box, then, seriously, what better way can you have than issuing two commands to get most avi/mpeg/real/dvd playback than with gentoo. Can you even dream of doing the same with Win32 or macos? I think not :-/

Of course you have to wait for everything to compile, but with the right USE and CFLAGS it'll all be worth it, I promise :-)

Unless you wanna go for LFS, but that's a tad more hardcore than most are willing, i'd hazard...

Whatever takes your fancy, I guess. Good Linux'in ya'll!

A little more on the multimedia debacle (4, Informative)

LibrePensador (668335) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264393)

Right on brother. And here are the facts that no one in the Suse camp wants to face up to:

1) Turbolinux, a distribution with a lot less mindshare and less money can afford to ship you a legal DVD player for $69 but somehow Novell cannot do so?

1a) Unless you are a corporate buyer, you see HP's Suse notebook comes preloaded with PowerDVD.

2) Slide two of the Suse silliness presentation is not that they not ship multimedia codecs out of the box. If that were our only problem. Debian, Red Hat and Mandrake do not ship libdvdcss or any of the other codecs, but once you add them, your existing Totem or Kaffeine players play.

2a) But no, Suse has to go way beyond what's required and actually goes into the source code for Xine and Kaffeine and cripples so that even if you add the missing codecs/libraries, it still will not play.

2b) So what do you do? You have to remove kaffeine, xine, xine-libs ad nauseam and then install apt-get and install those programs from a third-party and hope that it doesn't break anything else. Why is this bad?

Because you no longer get updates for those packages from Suse and because mixing apt and yast sources can often leave your system in an inconsistent state.

All of this is a damn shame, because Suse is an awesome distribution with some stupid, stupid, stupid policies that have no legal or logical basis.

Hopefully, this long response will serve as a permanent rebuttal to all of the Suse fanboys. Liking a distribution should not be tantamount to giving them carte blanche to screw you over.

Summary of facts:

1) Suse ships DVD-playing software whenever the hell it pleases it.

2) Other distributions manage to ship a dvd player for $69, yet Suse costs $85-99 or more.

3) Suse cripples standard libraries and thus has disqualified itself from the home market. I will not touch it for these reasons and I have stopped recommending it to friends and clients.

OpenOffice 2.0????? Isn't it in beta still? (4, Informative)

kwanbis (597419) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263917)

OpenOffice 2.0????? Isn't it in beta still?

Re:OpenOffice 2.0????? Isn't it in beta still? (5, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263938)

OpenOffice 2.0????? Isn't it in beta still?

Yes, but Firefox 1.0 is positively outdated. So it averages out okay.

Re:OpenOffice 2.0????? Isn't it in beta still? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263944)

Isn't it in beta still?

It sure is, but hey, what would linux be without buggy beta programs that crash all the time? What, "Debian" you say?

Re:OpenOffice 2.0????? Isn't it in beta still? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264080)

Yup, with "Debian" you can run obsolete unmaintainted programs that crash all the time, like KDE and Gnome 1.x.

Re:OpenOffice 2.0????? Isn't it in beta still? (3, Informative)

Linzer (753270) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264081)

Right, it IS in beta. And the worse part is, there are good reasons for that. Last time I checked, it still had show-stopper bugs. I have seen a couple presentations that will not load in Impress 2.0beta without making it crash. I'm really puzzled to see they included it in Suse 9.3. I wonder how much patching they've been able to do before releasing it. I don't expect miracles, anyway.

wow (1)

Assimil8or (587491) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263930)

I didn't know KDE could look so clan and smooth

Clan? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263948)

I didn't know KDE could look so clan and smooth

Okay, I know "clan" must be a typo for "klan" but either way, what does that mean?

Re:Clan? (1)

Kesha (5861) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264082)

It's not clan or klan. It's klean ;-)

Re:Clan? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264204)

Aha. Now I komprehend korrectly. Thanc you.

Congratulations editors! (3, Funny)

Metteyya (790458) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263961)

Direct link to ISO file on Slashdot main site. Let the slashdotting begin!

Torrent anybody? (1)

billstewart (78916) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264083)

Hey, providing ISOs for FTP without also providing Torrent files was their own choice - it's not like Suse's never issued a popular release before, so if the Novell takeover made them forget to use the torrent, that's their own choice.

However, I haven't found a torrent for it. Torrent Reactor [torrentreactor.net] has some 9.3 versions, including a 5 CD set, but not this one LiveDVD version.

Re:Congratulations editors! (1)

YrWrstNtmr (564987) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264125)

And currently, in the midst of a ./ing, I'm getting 368Kb/sec down on that DVD ISO.

Kernel version (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12263974)

I am not a current debian user, but how do you tell which kernel verion corresponds to this release?

2.4.18 (1)

XanC (644172) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264017)

They're not going to change kernel versions for a maintenance release!

1+1=2 (3, Insightful)

CygnusXII (324675) | more than 9 years ago | (#12263992)

So we have the recent crying session, over ubuntu and kubuntu being harmful to debian,when actually it comes to be a concern over "Release" dates and Press. Smells fishy to me.

The other shoe drops. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264073)

Debian's jig is up.

Let's clear something up right now (4, Informative)

LittleLebowskiUrbanA (619114) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264019)

I got Suse 9.3 Friday after ordering from Novell.com 2 weeks ago.
mp3s work out of the box using Juk.
I watch DVDs using MPlayer which I installed using the apt port for Suse.
There are 4 mulitmedia packs you can download from Suse using Yast.
Understand?

Re: Let's clear something up right now (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264192)

hi

newbie using suse here - u mention that there is a port of apt for suse? how does it work? some info would be appreciated

Re: Let's clear something up right now (2, Informative)

LittleLebowskiUrbanA (619114) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264216)

Read this [slashdot.org] . Go here [linux01.gwdg.de] . Let me know if you need help after reading those links.

My Computer? (1)

pmazer (813537) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264044)

Did anyone else notice the "My Computer" icon? Eww

Re:My Computer? (1)

LittleLebowskiUrbanA (619114) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264050)

Yeah, I noticed it in the last release, 9.2

Re:My Computer? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264097)

In light of recent events which have shown that Linux is insecure, I agree that we should protest the "My Computer" icon, for all future revisions should be called "Your Computer".

Re:My Computer? (1)

Heliode (856187) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264144)

Yeah, my computer pisses me off

Re:My Computer? (1)

GROOFY (855580) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264247)

Additionally, it appears to be a (now defunct) iMac G4. Does SuSe even run on PPC?

NEVER, ever do this again, editors! (5, Funny)

Stupid Dog (133756) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264045)

I just thought that Debian Sarge was released and was already ordering a church service to thank god at last!

Re:NEVER, ever do this again, editors! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264072)

Me too, only I was going to thank Satan. The one and only true god of debian. The greatest OS on this planet!

Re:NEVER, ever do this again, editors! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264281)

I thought satan was the god of BSD? (Take a look at the FreeBSD mascot for further evidence..)

Oh well. With something as deliciously good as Debian, it has to be EVIL!

omg (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264054)

linux suxks

Debian (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264058)

"And while Debian's Sarge isn't here yet"

You have got to be kidding. It's time Debian lowers the flag and lets Ubuntu take the lead.

Re:Debian (1)

jesterzog (189797) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264205)

It's time Debian lowers the flag and lets Ubuntu take the lead.

Why?

Re:Debian (3, Funny)

Cro Magnon (467622) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264458)

Perhaps because Debian's flag only has 13 stars.

can we get a torrent for the Live ISO..? (1)

dBLiSS (513375) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264064)

can we get a torrent for the Live ISO..?

Re:can we get a torrent for the Live ISO..? (2, Informative)

dlichterman (868464) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264085)

my post on torrents [slashdot.org]

OpenOffice 2.0? (1)

psi42 (747491) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264065)

This screenshot [osdir.com] shows what appears to be a "ximianized" version of OpenOffice 2.0. The Ximian page [ximian.com] doesn't seem to indicate this has happened.

Does anyone know where to get binaries of this little gem? A few higher-quality icons REALLY goes a long way...

Torrent (5, Informative)

dlichterman (868464) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264068)

Join the torrent
torrent link [isohunt.com]

releases (1)

darw!n (867623) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264070)

Debian doesnt release very often, so who knows how long until sarge gets here?

Re:releases (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264227)

Sarge is currently on an active tour of duty and will be released when he gets his orders from the Kernel.

rats (1, Insightful)

mortonda (5175) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264108)

I just downloaded 9.2.

Oblig. New Release Post (-1, Redundant)

L3WKW4RM (228924) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264150)

Aww man... and I just finished downloading Potato!

Re:Oblig. New Release Post (1)

Cro Magnon (467622) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264437)

You've got to be kidding! I was using Potato when I was a kid, and my nick will tell you how long ago THAT was!

Yeah it looks ok but... (1, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264166)

...why does Linux spend it's entire time trying to be Windows 95?

Because to me it's really strange. A hell of a lot of Linux users seem to spend their time hating on Windows. Fine Windoze sucks. But why does every Linux desktop look like Windows ? That same bluey default feel. Shitty Windoze 3.0 aliased font with the dashed selection outline. The 'My Computer' thing.

Seriously, Move on. Stop trying to recreate Windows in Linux. Stop being inspired by Windows. Let KDE and GNOME people find their own style instead of trying to copy ancient horrible OSs.

I know it's hard but you people really have to think a little bit bigger.

More Info (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264213)

The SuSE news was submitted to /. awhile ago but they didn't bother to post it until today...

More info about the SuSE stuff can be found: http://www.abend.org/article.php/20050417154931165 [abend.org]

and http://www.abend.org/article.php/20050415002147486 [abend.org]

Another interesting article, Gartner: Novell to take Linux market share?: http://www.abend.org/article.php/20050413232948738 [abend.org]

A lot of Screenshots (1)

michelcultivo (524114) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264217)

Screenshots is not valid to see if the distribution is well developed and is in a solid state to use.
I can't see in screenshots if a application is the best to use, if it haven't bugs. Any search in google [google.com] brings me a lot of screenshots.

Re:A lot of Screenshots (1)

potentiallyprofound (876749) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264267)

I think you mean "screenshots *are* not valid..."

XEN (1)

bstadil (7110) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264263)

Anyone gotten Xen to work. My Thinkpad throws a

Oiee CPU0 is history.

No harm done but kind of a scary error message.

Debian (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264278)

Cool updates in 9.3 includes Firefox 1.0, OpenOffice.org 2.0, Gimp 2.2, Beagle. Xen, VoIP

While Debian 3.0r5 features such exciting and new software packages as Mozilla 1.0, GIMP 1.2, KDE 2.2 and GNOME 1.4 among others. No version of OpenOffice.org is available.

Sheesh, I don't think Debian rX releases are newsworthy, call me when they finally manage to get a release out with packages only two years old instead of the current 4. :P

Reasons why Sarge shouldn't be released yet (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 9 years ago | (#12264319)

I hope these to get into Sarge before it goes stable.

Kernel-2.6.12 (soon) or at least 2.6.11
GnuPG stable 1.4 (2004-12-16 18:24:48 CET)
Subversion (svn) 1.2 (to be released any day now)
Xen 2.0.5 (released)

Sure, gcc 4.0 would be nice too but lets be reasonable and give Sarge a chance to release this year.

"Also, four packages were removed" (1)

nurb432 (527695) | more than 9 years ago | (#12264320)

This is only the beginning, grab what you can now for tomorrow it may be gone.

Load More Comments
Slashdot Account

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Don't worry, we never post anything without your permission.

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>
Create a Slashdot Account

Loading...