Beta
×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Ogg Vorbis Share Reaches 12.3% on P2P Traffic

timothy posted about 9 years ago | from the lies-damn-lies-and-maybe-just-maybe-truth dept.

Music 450

prostoalex writes "According to CacheLogic survey, 61.44% of the peer-to-peer traffic nowadays is video, with audio taking distant second place, representing 11.34% of global traffic. Moreover, 12.3% of all the music files traded on P2P networks are in Ogg format. Almost all of the OGG files are traded via BitTorrent protocol with most of the growth coming from Asia, CacheLogic says."

cancel ×

450 comments

Sorry! There are no comments related to the filter you selected.

Downloading Garbage (3, Insightful)

bigwavejas (678602) | about 9 years ago | (#13290741)

Percentage figures like these are going to spell doom for torrents. They're going to do nothing but light a big fire under the MPAA and RIAA's asses (Not like they needed it). Expect more fake/ spoofed files masquerading as legitimate movies/ music. People should start thinking about using some bolt-on software for their EDonkey (or ??), much like http://donkeyfakes.gambri.net/ [gambri.net] ,or they're going to be downloading a lot of Garbage (and not the Shirley Manson type either).

Re:Downloading Garbage (4, Insightful)

mrchaotica (681592) | about 9 years ago | (#13290771)

Why do you automatically assume it's copyright-infringed music? Moreover, why do you assume it belongs to the RIAA or MPAA? Considering that it's "mostly in Asia" it could very well be legally-copied (or infringed from organizations other than the RIAA) Asian music.

Re:Downloading Garbage (2, Funny)

bigwavejas (678602) | about 9 years ago | (#13290798)

Why do you automatically assume it's copyright-infringed music?

Probably because I can't think of any artist that likes to give away his/her music for free. Course you could probably pick-up some freebie folk-tunes or a nice head-bangin country tune recorded by a freckled head kid from the county fair.

Re:Downloading Garbage (0, Flamebait)

mrchaotica (681592) | about 9 years ago | (#13290832)

I don't think Asians usually have freckles, actually. And although I admit I'm not well-versed in their culture, I've never heard of them having county fairs, either.

Re:Downloading Garbage (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290873)

What percentage of the music being circulated in Asia is actually Asian? Give your head a shake, you're living in a dreamworld pal.

Re:Downloading Garbage (1)

kahanamoku (470295) | about 9 years ago | (#13290852)

Oh yeah.... and I cant think of any software developer who gives their software away for free....

err, hang on... linux! thats right!

Re:Downloading Garbage (4, Insightful)

ZephyrXero (750822) | about 9 years ago | (#13290885)

Actually many smaller/independent artists release all, or a large portion of their music for free on their websites...usually at a lower quality of compression, but free none the less... It's a great way to let people hear your music if you don't have the thousand$ to pay for play on the radio ;)

Re:Downloading Garbage (1)

nkh (750837) | about 9 years ago | (#13290947)

You should try Google for example. I just found this site [rezal404.org] , too bad it's in french but I guess there are a few sites like this one on the internet. Another good one is Magnatune [magnatune.com] but you have to pay on this one.

Re:Downloading Garbage (1)

The OPTiCIAN (8190) | about 9 years ago | (#13290981)

> Probably because I can't think of any artist
> that likes to give away his/her music for free.

What?! I can think of any number of artists who love giving their music away. Some of us even have the audacity to believe that you should do art for the sake of art and the experience, that finance need not come into it, and that there should be no notion of ownership over ideas or anything else which can be reduced to a digital format.

There are commercial artists who I respect for their music, but I don't respect the attitude of them or anyone else who one the one hand claims to be an artist and then on the other demands that people pay money for their works in order to support their lifestyle. They should go and get a real job like the rest of us!

Downloading Excuses (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290815)

"Why do you automatically assume it's copyright-infringed music?"

*starts up Azureus*

*Types in Britnay Spears.ogg*

Oh I don't know. Call it a hunch.

Downloading Love (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290783)

But? But? They help legitamize our beloved BT. Let's keep them, shall we?

  --

The "are you a script" word for today is infects

Re:Downloading Garbage (1)

imsabbel (611519) | about 9 years ago | (#13290818)

Why bother?
You got a perfectly fine md5 hashtree from the honest distributer/uploader of the file, which guarantees you get what you want.

Wait, you are downloading warez and stuff from unknown sources without any reference what it could be besides the filename? Well, thats your bad...

Re:Downloading Garbage (1)

LetterRip (30937) | about 9 years ago | (#13290863)

[QUOTE]Percentage figures like these are going to spell doom for torrents.[/QUOTE]

Legitimate distributors of trailers, demo reels, and animated shorts use bittorrent. I've likely uploaded and downloaded many gigabytes of completely legal bittorrents, for instance the new Blender Siggraph 2005 demo DVD.

http://blender.org/cms/fileadmin/movies/Siggraph_2 005_DVD.iso.torrent [blender.org]

LetterRip

Re:Downloading Garbage (kill Bill) (2, Funny)

darkonc (47285) | about 9 years ago | (#13290956)

On a global scale, 46% of P2P traffic is video in Microsoft formats.
Percentage figures like these are ..... going to do nothing but light a big fire under the MPAA and RIAA's.

Suit up guys.... Lock and load. We're going after Bill.
The Bill??!
Yep.
But he survived an attack from Washington.
We're the RIAA. We're bigger than Washington.

Go Ogg! (3, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290742)

Better compression, better sound, better freedom. 'Nuf said.

not only that... (1, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290787)

Way more CPU cycles!

Way less compatibility!

Way doesn't work on my iPod!

Re:not only that... (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290823)

Get a better player. I've not had Ogg take more CPU time than MP3 since before v1.0 was released.

Blah blah blah. As long as it works on my hardware, it's compatible. And look, it does and it is!

How's that Apple cock taste? You have fun with that. I will stick with music players that play the formats I have and use.

the apple cock tastes fine (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290886)

If you expect people to buy inferior portable music players just so they can play your filthy hippy format, you're going to be disappointed.

You have fun with your player that plays the formats you have and use. The rest of the world will continue using superior players that play the format everyone else has and uses. Don't worry though, your embracing of a pointless and incompatible format makes you special!

PS: There's really no need to be such a butthole when you're defending your format. It doesn't exactly make people want to go out and try it when it appears to be the choice of bitchy little fucksticks.

Re:the apple cock tastes fine (3, Insightful)

PunkOfLinux (870955) | about 9 years ago | (#13290926)

Just because a player plays the 'standard' formats does not make it superior. Look at iPodLinux... it has an ogg player. The only reason most standalone mp3 players don't have ogg support is because the developers wrongly think that it's a completely marginal format, which is becoming increasingly untrue.

If ONE developer would include ogg support, then it would become even more popular and accepted.

And the only reason most people still use mp3 is because, unlike mp3 (which is proprietary), ogg is open-source. Microsoft seems to go out of their way to exclude open-source.

Re:the apple cock tastes fine (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290968)

The only reason ogg never caught on is that until Tremor came around in 2002, the decoder required floating-point arithmetic. There was no way in hell portables could support it. I guess they couldn't predict that the iPod would change everything and assumed most people would play their audio files at their desktop, I don't know.

Oh, and Microsoft tried plenty hard to beat mp3. Didn't work out too well.

Re:the apple cock tastes fine (1)

PunkOfLinux (870955) | about 9 years ago | (#13290991)

If you look at most mp3 players, they have wma support too

Re:the apple cock tastes fine (1)

oddfox (685475) | about 9 years ago | (#13290927)

PS: There's really no need to be such a butthole when you're defending your format. It doesn't exactly make people want to go out and try it when it appears to be the choice of bitchy little fucksticks.

That's funny coming from an apparent Apple-freak, since lots of Mac fans come off as just that, including yourself. All bark, no bite, "superior" player my ass.

Re:Go Ogg! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290893)

Good thing I have my Ogg-to-something-I-can-pronounce converter program!

Wow (3, Insightful)

okayplayer (670828) | about 9 years ago | (#13290743)

Open source music on open source protocols... Who would have thunk?

Re:Wow (1, Troll)

aristotle-dude (626586) | about 9 years ago | (#13290769)

Yeah, too bad all that music being traded is pirated eh?

This does not make open source look good.

Re:Wow (1, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290829)

It's not pirated, it's liberated!

Re:Wow (1)

tcbent (37208) | about 9 years ago | (#13290977)

Pirated?

Depends which countries laws you're following, and whose to say the content of the oggs aren't in the public domain?

Great (0, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290744)

Now give me some FLAC.

Re:Great (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290755)

Okay.

Re:Great (3, Informative)

stuuf (587464) | about 9 years ago | (#13290930)

You know, the article only mentioned the "Ogg [contianer] file format," and the submitter had no reason to insert "vorbis," so some of it might be Ogg/FLAC. Could even be theora video, which would make the assertion that 12% of the "audio" traffic is ogg... we've long ago collectively learned that AVI is a container not a compression scheme, so can we start using the right terminology for Ogg now?

Traffic statistics (4, Insightful)

Paska (801395) | about 9 years ago | (#13290758)

> According to CacheLogic survey, 61.44% of the peer-to-peer traffic nowadays is video, with audio taking distant second place, representing 11.34% of global traffic.

Is this really a huge shock? After all your average movie is (let's just say) 500 megabyte, with your average song at around 2 megabyte - of course video traffic is going to outweigh audio downloads by a great amount.

Re:Traffic statistics (1, Funny)

Carthag (643047) | about 9 years ago | (#13290835)

OMG u r so downloading shitty ripz lol mb omfg rofl mien r all 1.4 gigz and 6 megz mb d00d kthxbie lol k cya

Re:Traffic statistics (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290989)

No, he's using VxiD and Vorbis; you're using MPEG-2 and MP3 ;)

OGG (3, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290759)

What's wrong with Mp3 and WMA?

Re:OGG (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290772)

What's wrong with Mp3 and WMA?

Nothing is wrong with Mp3 and WMA. This is Slashdot, what do you expect?

Re:OGG (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290804)

Closed formats. If I wish to make an mp3 or wma encoder, I have to pay someone. As a consumer, there's little difference except that wma is closed and only plays really well if you have microsoft's codecs. However it places a lot of restrictions on the content producers, and nobody wants that (except the patent holders, of course).

Re:OGG (2, Informative)

rm999 (775449) | about 9 years ago | (#13290855)

Well, I think the LAME programmers proved you wrong, because as I understand it they haven't paid a penny to the creators of MP3 :)

But I get your point

Re:OGG (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290825)

Nothing is cool if somebody else likes it.

'tis the linukzelout way, yarrrr

Re:OGG (5, Insightful)

hungrygrue (872970) | about 9 years ago | (#13290843)

Both are closed formats. To the best of my knowledge, the only way to play wma files under Linux/BSD is to use Microsoft's DLL files which is illegal (Though if you have a legal copy of Windows I suppose that is a grey area. I and many other Linux users, however, do not own or use Windows). MP3 support requires a license fee http://mp3licensing.com/ [mp3licensing.com] OGG is an open standard with no strings or restrictions.

Re:OGG (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290896)

MP3 only needs a licence for commercial use, home use is free. Bundling an MP3 codec with an OS you sell counts as commercial use, which is one reason why it's not usually on Linux. The free-use is dependent on the good will of the patent holders, so it's not Free, another reason Linux support is rare.

Slightly OT (3, Interesting)

jtwJGuevara (749094) | about 9 years ago | (#13290762)

The linux community at large seems to have a strong sentiment in favor of using ogg over mp3. I personally tried ogg but in my media player of choice (xmms) the equalizer had absolutely no effect on ogg files whereas with mp3 files the equalizer worked, thus making the mp3 sound much, much better than the non-equalized (don't know the technical name for it) sound of the ogg file. Does anyone know why this is? Am I missing a good thing by not using ogg or is ogg just hyped up a bit much?

Re:Slightly OT (1)

rm999 (775449) | about 9 years ago | (#13290812)

Perhaps the OGG decoder bypasses the equalizer or the equalizer is built into the MP3 decoder. I don't see why they would do this though.

Re:Slightly OT (1)

Jeff DeMaagd (2015) | about 9 years ago | (#13290822)

I am curious why the "equalized" audio would sound a lot better than not, maybe there is a defficiency in your speakers, or audio outputs?

Re:Slightly OT (1)

jtwJGuevara (749094) | about 9 years ago | (#13290862)

It's personal preference. I prefer what is normally referred to as the "Rock" setting that has high bass, high treble, and a low mid. There is a big difference in the sound between this setting and the default midlevel setting for everything... at least to my ears.

Re:Slightly OT (2, Interesting)

cbr2702 (750255) | about 9 years ago | (#13290928)

Most speakers, especially computer speakers, have a non-ideal frequency response. So ""equalized" audio" by compensating for this deficient frequency response can make imperfect speakers sound much better.

Re:Slightly OT (1)

sound+vision (884283) | about 9 years ago | (#13290824)

Ogg is indeed better, especially at low bitrates. Try encoding a song into a 64 kb/s MP3, and a 64 kb/s Ogg, and comparing the two. The difference is clear.

Re:Slightly OT (1)

jtwJGuevara (749094) | about 9 years ago | (#13290877)

Yeah, I was using 192kb/s. Might explain why I wasn't dazzled by ogg when compared to mp3 :)

Re:Slightly OT (1)

CastrTroy (595695) | about 9 years ago | (#13290908)

But nobody uses those bitrates. Most people use 256 KB/S MP3 now. What's the difference between 256 bit mp3 and ogg, and what bitrate of ogg do you have to use to match 256 kb/s mp3. unless it's something significantly less like 100 kb/s, then I think that all the hassle of putting up with music players that won't play it, far outweighs the space benefits.

Re:Slightly OT (1)

oddfox (685475) | about 9 years ago | (#13290942)

Lots of people use those bitrates still when there's disk space to save, and OGG Vorbis works great for streaming because you can get a better sound out of less bandwidth.

Re:Slightly OT (4, Informative)

vonstauf (827404) | about 9 years ago | (#13290831)

Not being at my desktop because I'm fair away in cube land, I can atleast attest that my XMMS player that came stock with Slackware seems to do just fine with the equalizer and ogg files. I'll test it out when I get back to the bat cave. This bug [xmms.org] seems to be what you're dealing with. Here are some comments [xmms.org] about it.

Re:Slightly OT (2, Informative)

vonstauf (827404) | about 9 years ago | (#13290879)

Reading through the buglist comments, I must be on crack...or I might have some mp3 files. ;)

Re:Slightly OT (1)

Josh Booth (588074) | about 9 years ago | (#13290849)

The ogg codec ignores the equalizer levels while the mp3 one doesn't. There is an add-on equalizer module that equalizes anything, however, but is slightly buggy. All this is in typical linux fashion.

Re:Slightly OT (1)

gmf (810466) | about 9 years ago | (#13290857)

The problem is that in xmms the equalizer is implemented on the decoder level (and that makes sense, I guess). Last time I tried, only the mp3 input plugin used the equalizer settings. Even wavs and audio CDs didn't...

You might want to take a look at this [sourceforge.net] project though...

Re:Slightly OT (1, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290888)

I am happy to answer your question. The technical name for "non-equalized" is "different", because if things have not been equalized, obviously they are not equal, or equivalently different. Thus, you are saying you don't like the sound of the ogg file because it is "different". That's like saying you don't like Linux because it is "different" from Windows. Open up your mind and I think you'll like ogg just fine.

Probably does the EQ before the DCT (1)

seanadams.com (463190) | about 9 years ago | (#13290983)

Does the equalizer work for WAV files?

If not, then most likely the reason is that their EQ is completely MP3-specific. The process of MP3 decoding generates for each frame a set of 32 frequency components extracted from the compressed bitstream, which are then converted back into the time domain ("pcm synthesis").

Probably they implement a crude EQ by manipulating the frequency bands which are already available as an integral part of the decode process.

I think you could do the same with ogg, but it sounds like they don't.

iTunes (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290770)

this figure is lower or higher to iTunes store traffic

Nice misleading title (5, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290778)

12.3% of MUSIC transfers, which is 11.34% of all traffic -- so Ogg makes up 1.4% of all P2P traffic. Which ain't bad at all, but is nowhere near 12.3

Re:Nice misleading title (5, Funny)

leoxx (992) | about 9 years ago | (#13290805)

Yeah, not many people download movies in OGG format, and the ones that do probably spend a lot of time trying to figure out why the sound works perfectly but the picture is so garbled.

Re:Nice misleading title (5, Informative)

joebutton (788717) | about 9 years ago | (#13290833)

> Yeah, not many people download movies in OGG
> format, and the ones that do probably spend a lot
> of time trying to figure out why the sound works
> perfectly but the picture is so garbled.

Actually ogg is a container format which can contain both sound and video. Vorbis is the audio format.

Re:Nice misleading title (1)

bhtooefr (649901) | about 9 years ago | (#13290881)

Nitpick: Vorbis is the high-quality lossy audio format.

Speex is the speech-quality lossy format, and FLAC is the lossless format.

Re:Nice misleading title (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290914)

Actually ogg is a container format which can contain both sound and video. Vorbis is the audio format.

Actually, you're not technically a faggot because you also have sex with hermaphrodites. Faggitronic is your sexual identity.

Re:Nice misleading title (1)

Saeed al-Sahaf (665390) | about 9 years ago | (#13290811)

Which ain't bad at all, but is nowhere near 12.3

Don't let reality get in the way of statistical manipulation! I think it's great that BitTorrent (and ogg) are becomming "respectable", but really, these numbers don't mean a lot.

Re:Nice misleading title (1)

rm999 (775449) | about 9 years ago | (#13290827)

As someone pointed out earlier, movies are much larger than music so of course p2p traffic will be dominated by video if you only care about bytes. Comparing music and video by bytes is like comparing apples and oranges. A much better figure, which I am sure it hard to figure out, is number of movies vs number of songs or albums.

Re:Nice misleading title (1)

DWIM (547700) | about 9 years ago | (#13290960)

12.3% of MUSIC transfers, which is 11.34% of all traffic -- so Ogg makes up 1.4% of all P2P traffic. Which ain't bad at all, but is nowhere near 12.3

Actually it is exactly 12.3% of music transfers, which is what was stated in the parent posting. You didn't think they were saying ogg represented 12.3% of all P2P traffic did you?

So... (0, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290782)

So 12.3% of 11.3% of files on P2P are in ogg.

That's about a percent of all traffic.

Holy Hyperbole Batman!

Ogg Vorbis Popularity (2, Interesting)

ryg0r (699756) | about 9 years ago | (#13290784)

IMO, I think we need oggs in cars.

I used to ripp all my CDs straight to ogg, but seeing as I cant play ogg in my car, I've abandoned the idea.

Why no play the original CD's? I hear you say, because my car got broken into and they were all stolen.

Ogg's for cars would definiately be a great idea.

PhatNoise (2, Informative)

GianlucaM (906711) | about 9 years ago | (#13290837)

According to PhatNoise (PhatNoise.com) the latest firmware revision for their PhatBox supports OGG Vorbis up to 192kbps. You have to email them to get that information, because it's nowhere onthe site. I'm tempted to buy one.

Re:Ogg Vorbis Popularity (1)

rm999 (775449) | about 9 years ago | (#13290838)

There are ogg players for cars, as I understand it. You could also get a portable ogg player (if all your music is in ogg format, this isn't such a bad idea) and hook it up to your car directly. I do this with a tape adapter and my iPod.

Re:Ogg Vorbis Popularity (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290846)

Maybe they can release Ogg for trucks and SUVs some time later.

Re:Ogg Vorbis Popularity (2, Informative)

mrchaotica (681592) | about 9 years ago | (#13290876)

Rip your CDs to FLAC instead for archiving, then transcode them to whatever lossy format you prefer when you need to put them on a portable device.

Re:Ogg Vorbis Popularity (1)

GianlucaM (906711) | about 9 years ago | (#13290954)

That's what I do, only I use Monkey's Audio instead of Flac.

Re:Ogg Vorbis Popularity (1)

Mantus (65568) | about 9 years ago | (#13290961)

Given the price of large hard drives, it seems reasonable to me to rip all your music into FLAC (or any other lossless format), that way you can transcode the audio into whatever format you need it to be in and can make an exact copy to replace lost or damaged discs.

Re:Ogg Vorbis Popularity (1, Troll)

exp(pi*sqrt(163)) (613870) | about 9 years ago | (#13290980)

If your CDs were stolen but you're still playing the Ogg files you ripped then you too are a thief.

That still means a lot more music files (2, Insightful)

Alphanos (596595) | about 9 years ago | (#13290789)

"According to CacheLogic survey, 61.44% of the peer-to-peer traffic nowadays is video, with audio taking distant second place, representing 11.34% of global traffic."

If we assume that the average audio file is 5MB, which is probably too large, then there would only be a file-to-file equivalence if the average video file was less than 30MB, which is very small. You can't fit a single half-hour episode of some anime show into 30MB unless you have ridiculously poor quality. So it's reasonable to conclude that a much greater number of audio files are being traded, and video files use more bandwidth because video files are bigger, rather than because video files are more popular than audio files. An actual ratio would require data on the size of the average traded video file.

Great news (3, Interesting)

darthgnu (866920) | about 9 years ago | (#13290796)

I only hope this percentage has an actual meaning... On the plus side, it will be a pleasure to download those CD's that have "rip" ""protection" in ogg. I proudly buy my music, but I cannot stand _any_ DRM, I rip all my CD's in ogg, and get them on my neuros music player. Great quality, smaller file size, I love it.

Re:Great news (1)

taquitosgmail.com (876560) | about 9 years ago | (#13290945)

I love my neuros too, but when broadcasting and changing the gain at the same time with an Ogg of q 6.5, I get the STOP error. If only the decoder/dsp were a little bit more powerful!

Asia (1, Redundant)

rm999 (775449) | about 9 years ago | (#13290799)

12.3% are in the open-source OGG file format (almost all of which are exclusively traded on the BitTorrent network, particularly in Asia).

I think part of the reason ogg is bigger in asia is the iPod. The iPod is much bigger in the USA than asia, and it does not play ogg. Asia has players that can handle ogg, so people go with the superior format. I would like to see the day when my iPod can play ogg (i'm not holding my breath, apple isn't exactly known for adding more features to the old iPods) or americans move to other players and oggs become more popular.

Re:Asia (1)

bhtooefr (649901) | about 9 years ago | (#13290898)

A 4G iPod (including the Mini and Photo) can run an Ogg Vorbis codec on iPod Linux...

Hey! (0, Offtopic)

2lt_gravity (906446) | about 9 years ago | (#13290800)

I gotta get my free porn somehow... And I love watching Lindsay Lohan... but would never lower myself to actually buying a movie of hers. I'd never be able to show my face in public again if I were caught!

Hmm, that's interesting... (3, Interesting)

DarkYoshi (895118) | about 9 years ago | (#13290809)

61.44% of the peer-to-peer traffic nowadays is video

I wonder what percentage of that is video minors are allowed to see?

Convert all of your mp3s today (-1, Troll)

mslinux (570958) | about 9 years ago | (#13290810)

Re:Convert all of your mp3s today (1)

Petrushka (815171) | about 9 years ago | (#13290839)

... but only if you don't mind the audio quality being degraded even further.

Re:Convert all of your mp3s today (2, Insightful)

mslinux (570958) | about 9 years ago | (#13290892)

I can't tell a difference. Go figure.

Yes (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290884)

Because compressing an already compressed file is such a fucking good idea.
I'll stick with my pirated MP3s, at least I'll know they'll work on others' PCs and iPods.

Re:Convert all of your mp3s today (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290912)

http://freshmeat.net/projects/mp32ogg/

That's so utterly stupid. MP3 and Vorbis are both lossy encoding methods - converting one to the other degrades the quality even more.

Re:Convert all of your mp3s today (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290935)

This is the most stupid idea ever. If you already have just an mp3 without the original you gain absolutely nothing by converting it to ogg.

That your shitty ears don't notice doesn't prove anything.

So basically this confirms... (1, Troll)

csoto (220540) | about 9 years ago | (#13290836)

that Ogg is the format of thieves and vagabonds, as I have always suspected...

Too Bad (1)

ethzer0 (603146) | about 9 years ago | (#13290865)

Too bad Ogg being used on P2P networks won't be enough to convince portable audio device vendors of supporting the protocol.

Re:Too Bad (1)

w98 (831730) | about 9 years ago | (#13290990)

I beg to differ. I researched a handful of manufacturers that support ogg, and ultimately settled on iRiver and got an H320 player, 20GB model. And being that ogg files are smaller than mp3 at a comparable bitrate, it's pretty slick.

iTunes http://www.uncoverip.com/ (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290889)

Until iTunes supports Ogg it will never progress. SAD, but true.

http://www.uncoverip.com/ [uncoverip.com]

Ogg Vorbis faces a challenge of intertia (3, Interesting)

chrysrobyn (106763) | about 9 years ago | (#13290894)

I tried out several encoders in 2001 when considering compressing my music library. I tried double blind tests on the best realistic equipment I'd be using (then a 10 year old amp and pretty new Bose 501 speakers -- both are now clearly 4 years older) using my PC sound card's RCA outputs. Not an audiophile setup by any means, but certainly a bit better than the PC's internal speaker.

In my tests, Ogg Vorbis at 192KBps, MP3 (LAME) at 256KBps and something else.. WMA? at 256KBps were not decipherable from the original CD to my ears. Interestingly enough, I favored Ogg Vorbis even more because when I backed it down to 128KBps the artifacs I could hear sounded better than MP3's at 168. My choice was made -- Ogg Vorbis at 192KBps would be my preferred codec.

So I went around looking for what could play it. Only a few pieces of software (winamp and xmms were the two I cared about) and zero hardware. I had aspirations of taking music with me, so that left all but MP3 out of the game at the time.

I currently use iTunes to store and organize my library of 400+ CDs and synchronize a subset to my 1st generation 5GB iPod. Now that I've put that much effort into a single program, either another organizer will need to beat iTunes by being more comprehensive, useful, intuitive and stable, or iTunes will have to support Ogg Vorbis for me to encode future CDs in a codec other than MP3. Once iTunes encodes and plays Ogg Vorbis files, then I'll see about an iPod or similar that will play them (these days I'm in the iPod Shuffle price range). Since iTunes is a free (as in beer.. but where's all this free beer people talk about?) encoder, I'm not willing to pay for the inconvenience of switching to a new program.

Re:Ogg Vorbis faces a challenge of intertia (1)

ratpack91 (698171) | about 9 years ago | (#13290974)

I'm not locked into iTunes (I use foobar2000) but all my ogg aspirations went sour when I found out oggs reduce the battery life on my iRiver h320 at twice the rate of MP3s which is deal breaker. So at the moment I'm back to ripping Lame MP3 -aps again.

Amazing where your media goes (5, Interesting)

Realistic_Dragon (655151) | about 9 years ago | (#13290902)

My brother took a copy of his Black Adder DVDs back with him to China in Xvid+Vorbis format (to save damaging the originals).

6 months later I buy a pirate copy in Mexico to show to a friend because I don't have *my* originals with me, and it was the same files (or at least, the same checksum when I checked with him). Also on the disk was a vorbis codec and instructions about how to install it... and how to rip new media with it to best effect.

Something to think about.

Misleading Subject (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290906)

Ogg Vorbis files *do not* constitute 12.3% of all P2P traffic, as suggested by the title - the summary clearly says 12.3% of *Audio* files. So actually the headline should read "Ogg Vorbis Share Reaches 1.39% on P2P Traffic." Wow, not so interesting.

Ogg vorbis can lick my ass (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290920)

Seriously, this is just a great example of GPL for the hell of it. If it makes you happy fine, but it's totally useless to the majority of the populace. An excellent example of Stallman-ism's irrelevance to the actual audience.

1.4%? (1)

Dumass (602667) | about 9 years ago | (#13290921)

11.34% * 12.3% = 1.39% of total traffic.

MOD ME DOWN AND CALL ME A TROLL!!! (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#13290924)

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid ddddddeeeeeeeeerrrrrrr

Portable music players (2, Interesting)

The OPTiCIAN (8190) | about 9 years ago | (#13290943)

Are there any portable music players that support .ogg vorbis yet? (and are they any good?)

Commies! (2, Funny)

supabeast! (84658) | about 9 years ago | (#13290976)

"Almost all of the OGG files are traded via BitTorrent protocol with most of the growth coming from Asia..."

This provides more proof that open-source is a communist plot -- most open-format audio files traded on those illegal p2p networks come from Asia, home to the largest communist country on Earth! Protect American business and ban p2p and the GPL!
Load More Comments
Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>