×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Must-Have Extensions for Thunderbird 2.0

CmdrTaco posted more than 6 years ago | from the for-some-definition-of-must dept.

Mozilla 262

Operator writes "While Firefox has been in the spotlight for some time now, Thunderbird has yet to enjoy the same wide adoption or glowing praise despite being an excellent email client. It's no surprise that a popular topic has been Firefox's best (and worst) extensions while Thunderbird add-ons have gone largely unnoticed. In celebration of the recent release of Thunderbird 2.0 here are the best extensions for the program along with some honorable mentions."

cancel ×
This is a preview of your comment

No Comment Title Entered

Anonymous Coward 1 minute ago

No Comment Entered

262 comments

KMail (-1, Offtopic)

BinnyVA (878344) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868731)

I prefer KMail to thunderbird(and evolution). If you are using KDE, nothing beats KMail.

Re:KMail (1, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18868839)

I tried Thunderbird 1.5. (on Windows XP).
What it really lacked was integrated back-up/restore functions. (Outlook has this - export/import.)
I am not saying MS Outlook is the best, only that mail/account export/import functions should be present in e-mail program and you should not look for some extention or dig in support pages for this, it shoud just work.

By the way, does anybody now if thisis solved in TB 2.0.? (I would really try it once more if it has it)

Re:KMail (1, Offtopic)

SCHecklerX (229973) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868911)

While we're slightly off-topic, my vote goes to sylpheed [sraoss.jp]

I use it at home on my linux box, and it runs just fine as a portable app (sylpheed --configdir=foo) from the USB stick when forced to use somebody else's computer on the road (IMAP over SSL along with SMTP Auth and SMTP with Starttls to my home server).

A very nice lightweight mail client, with some good improvements to the UI in the 2.4 version that was recently released.

If you enjoy having more crap built-in (like rendering HTML), check out claws, which is a fork of sylpheed.

Re:KMail (0, Offtopic)

jimstapleton (999106) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868987)

I'll second this...

After thunderbird destroyed my local mail store once a week (admittedly I could go in and fix the mailbox files by hand with some effort, trial, and error), I went back to KMail in KDE and Outlook Express in Window, both of which have never had corrupted mailboxes in my use of them, and I have been using both much longer.

Re:KMail (3, Interesting)

MobyDisk (75490) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869279)

I've used Thunderbird for years... and it quite regularly corrupts my local mail store. I have a bag of tricks for dealing with it. It is always in very minor ways though: Can't delete attachments, can't find an email via search even though it is there. A few messages that sort wrong, etc. The problem with most of these is they are intermittent so I can't reproduce them reliably any more.

Re:KMail (1)

thsths (31372) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869439)

Thunderbird uses the mbox format, which is not really a suitable way of storing more than 10 emails. IMAP would be a better alternative, if the IMAP support wasn't as pathetic as it is.

Re:KMail (1)

TristanGrimaux (841255) | more than 6 years ago | (#18870033)

I use Thunderbird with IMAP and it works without problems... it's the best IMAP mailer I've found. I'll take a look at Sylphe, do you know if it has IMAP notification? KMAIL is really slow on IMAP and even when I try it once in a while, it takes a long till I get the new mail notification.

inefficiency of splitting mozilla (1, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18868747)

I still don't understand why I need to have multiple copies of gecko shared libraries / dlls in memory since the split-up of mozilla into firefox, thunderbird, and sunbird. How is this waste of space supposed to be more efficient?

Re:inefficiency of splitting mozilla (4, Informative)

dkf (304284) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868785)

I still don't understand why I need to have multiple copies of gecko shared libraries / dlls in memory since the split-up of mozilla into firefox, thunderbird, and sunbird. How is this waste of space supposed to be more efficient?
It's because it makes distribution much simpler. If this bothers you (though why it should when even entry-level machines have vast amounts of memory available even after loading the OS) get Seamonkey instead and stop griping here.

Re:inefficiency of splitting mozilla (2, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18869737)

Most computers have more memory availible now doesn't make loading who whole rendering engine and whatnot into memory multiple times. Its inefficient, and quite frankly silly.

Why not have each application plug into a single, standalone installation of XULRunner, or some such? Redundant libraries only get loaded once that way. It saves resources and boosts performance.

Firefox on its own already uses entirely too much memory. Throw in T-Bird, make it load much of the same libraries attributing to Firefox already eating up ridiculous amounts of memory, its absurd. It makes allot more sense to just share and load the same libs. Imagine if every other project did this, and you'd have eleventy billion copies of libc not only installed on your system, but loaded into memory, or if each KDE app installed and loaded an individual copy KDElibs into memory for each application, or if each GTK app installed and loaded its own GTK libs into memory?

It's inefficient, its a waste of resources, and that doesn't change just because its Mozilla doing it.

Re:inefficiency of splitting mozilla (1)

darjen (879890) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869025)

It makes sense for people like me who use Firefox but not Thunderbird. I'll just stick to webmail.

Re:inefficiency of splitting mozilla (1)

MCZapf (218870) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869533)

If you really wanted to, I think you could move all the DLLs into a single directory (in your PATH) and delete all the extras. They'll end up shared in memory as well. You risk version incompatibility if you do, however.

Re:inefficiency of splitting mozilla (1)

mpe (36238) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869751)

I still don't understand why I need to have multiple copies of gecko shared libraries / dlls in memory since the split-up of mozilla into firefox, thunderbird, and sunbird. How is this waste of space supposed to be more efficient?

Presumably because someone wanted the Windows version to be installable as a non privileged user, thus not requiring write access to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. But Windows isn't smart enough to spot when a DLL is already resident...

Re:inefficiency of splitting mozilla (2, Interesting)

Asztal_ (914605) | more than 6 years ago | (#18870091)

Since Firefox 3 and SeaMonkey 1.5 (and probably Thunderbird, too) will be based on XULRunner [mozilla.org], this problem should be solved by then.

jlo koko? (-1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18868753)

Penis extension is the only extension I need and want!

enigmail extension (5, Informative)

UnixSphere (820423) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868761)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon /71 [mozilla.org]

Enigmail adds OpenPGP message encryption and authentication to your email client. It features automatic encryption, decryption and integrated key management functionality. Enigmail requires GnuPG (www.gnupg.org) for the cryptographic functions. Note: GnuPG is not part of the installation.

A True Must Have (2, Insightful)

fishdan (569872) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868965)

I agree, and in fact for me the article lost credibility for recommending against Enigmail -- Enigmail is a must have. If we're ever going to have digital signatures become the norm (something I'd like to see) then the advanced users are going to have to model it for the neophytes. Digitally sign every email you send, and when people ask why you do it, spoof an "I'm joining a cult" email from them to their friends. I'm pretty confident that eventually only signed emails will be delivered -- be ahead of the curve!

Re:A True Must Have (2, Interesting)

Threni (635302) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869037)

> If we're ever going to have digital signatures become the norm (something I'd like to see)

Most email users have never had anyone try and fake messages from them to other people. I can see the advantages, but non-nerds aren't going to jump through hoops to add the required encryption subsystem to their email systems when it offers no advantage. I can see encryption itself being marginally more popular, but not much so.

Re:A True Must Have (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18869083)

In a day and age where the US government wants to monitor everything I say and do, you are insane if you wouldn't want encryption. Of course, this is used far more in business where companies do it to ensure confidentiality of information. It is a hell of a lot better then sending e-mail in plaintext.

Re:A True Must Have (1)

Threni (635302) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869121)

> In a day and age where the US government wants to monitor everything I say and do, you are insane if you wouldn't want encryption.
> Of course, this is used far more in business where companies do it to ensure confidentiality of information. It is a hell of a lot
> better then sending e-mail in plaintext.

Ok - but that just means you need to write an extension which makes Thunderbird users start to want to use encryption/digital signing. Most of my friends are computer literate, but none of them can be arsed to install the required software. It's a pain in the arse - they all have 2 or 3 email addresses on different platforms.

Re:A True Must Have (3, Insightful)

gad_zuki! (70830) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869963)

Your friends probably dont need military grade public key cryptography along with a confusing install. Enigmail is pretty much the GUI for gpgp for thunderbird. Most users wont get past the point of "where do I click to make this email magically unreadedable to George bush!?!?" Its probably a lot easier to use the buit-in s/mime support in thunderbird than to add more confusing crypto products.

Oh course, considering the number of people who have shifted to webmail, its going to be interesting to see if any of these big webmail providers begin to support crytopgrahy. Are people going to trust google, yahoo, or hotmail with their private key? Do they even know what this means?

Sadly, the encrypt email revolution never happened (poor phil zimmerman) and thanks to webmail and an apathetic public it probably never will.

Re:A True Must Have (3, Informative)

keithius (804090) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869553)

Most email users have never had anyone try and fake messages from them to other people.
Errr... what? People get spam emails all the time with the "From" address faked - often from people they know, and sometimes even from themselves! (There's a strange feeling when you get an obviously junk/spam email and it claims to have been sent by... you!)

Re:A True Must Have (1)

mpe (36238) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869555)

Most email users have never had anyone try and fake messages from them to other people.

With the "obvious" exceptions of spam and viruses spread by email.

Re:A True Must Have (4, Informative)

CheShACat (999169) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869731)

"Most email users have never had anyone try and fake messages from them to other people" Having spent some time working at an ISP and ICANN domain registrar, I know that pretty much anyone with a domain name has had their email spoofed at one time or another, if not all day every day. While this might not actually cover "most email users", the rest run the risk of their email domain (e.g. hotmail.com) being spoofed by spammers. In the case of spoofed emails, it's often the recipient that is at most risk, digital signatures that allow a recipient to verify that a mail's source was actually the domain it claims to be from are a great help in combatting spam.

Lightning (4, Insightful)

Nedmud (157169) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868763)

It's not complete yet, but it's already worth using it, IMO. Having a calendar integrated with my mail helps me to check my schedule as regularly as I check my mail.

Re:Lightning (1)

thsths (31372) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869191)

> It's not complete yet, but it's already worth using it

It is better than nothing, but it is not a proper calendar either. BTW, is there any way to get rid of it temporarily if I don't want to use it? It takes up so much space that could have better use sometimes.

Anyway, if you need a real calendar, you have to go for a more powerful solution, such as Gmail, KMail, Evolution or Outlook. Note that the later two programs suck quite a lot.

Re:Lightning (4, Informative)

ppz003 (797487) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869845)

> It's not complete yet, but it's already worth using it

It is better than nothing, but it is not a proper calendar either. BTW, is there any way to get rid of it temporarily if I don't want to use it? It takes up so much space that could have better use sometimes.

Anyway, if you need a real calendar, you have to go for a more powerful solution, such as Gmail, KMail, Evolution or Outlook. Note that the later two programs suck quite a lot.
From an article not too long ago, you can use Google Calendar in Lightning [mozilla.org] or Sunbird nightlies [mozilla.org].

dispMUA - Display Mail User Agent (4, Informative)

xTK-421x (531992) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868769)

I find this extension to be helpful when dealing with certain email issues. It displays an icon representing the user's email software if it's in the known list of mail agents.

Home Page: http://cweiske.de/misc_extensions.htm [cweiske.de]

Extension Link: http://www.cweiske.de/files/download/misc/dispmua- 1.3.2.xpi [cweiske.de]

List of Supported Agents: http://cweiske.de/misc_extensions_dispmuas.htm [cweiske.de]

The list (4, Informative)

hywel_ap_ieuan (892599) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868773)

The extensions in TFA, which is a one-pager: Minimize to Tray, Quicktext, Quote Collapse, Nostalgy.

Runners-up: Dictionary Switcher, View Headers Toggle Button, Contacts Sidebar.

It also mentions "Mozilla has three recommended extensions, Foxytunes, Enigmail, and an adblocker"

Wait for Penelope ! (3, Interesting)

Rastignac (1014569) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868777)

Now that the great Eudora is dead (no more updated), the Penelope project will bring Eudora's goodies to Thunderbird.
Just wait for Penelope, a better Thunderbird than Thunderbird !

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (0, Flamebait)

Chris whatever (980992) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869093)

I have tried thunderbird on windows but to me, other than it's free, i dont like it, i like to be able to use word as an editor, and there is so much more features in Outlook.

One other thing that annoyed me (maybe that was a setup i did not find) was that when you answered the e-mail it worked like MAC the answer was at the bottom so you had to scroll down to read the answer,,,very very annoying.

But again my sister and my brother in law both use MAC and their answers always show at the bottom of the e-mail never on top, so i guess it might be something that's just missing.

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (3, Insightful)

Overzeetop (214511) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869193)

Ahhh, you young kids are so amusing. The "correct" way to quote is to add your discussion after the text you're quoting. You should also snip out the parts of the email which you are not replying to. You see, that way you can actually read the discussion from top to bottom, just like a book, and have all the relavent information in proper order. Proper netiquette which, apparently, nobody remembers or follows.

Now get off my lawn.

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (2, Informative)

Miseph (979059) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869375)

Yes! Top quoters are simply infuriating!

Oh, and even if you aren't actually replying to a quote (because, for example, you use GMail and it already reads like a book), please for the love of God strip out all the cruft like signatures ads (I'm in a lot of Yahoo! Groups, which tack ads onto everything... come to think of it, so does plain old Yahoo! Mail), because the rest of us probably didn't want to read it the first time, let alone have it waste our visual real estate when we're trying to read a completely different email.

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18869505)

What do you mean?

Ahhh, you young kids are so amusing. The "correct" way to quote is to add your discussion after the text you're quoting. You should also snip out the parts of the email which you are not replying to. You see, that way you can actually read the discussion from top to bottom, just like a book, and have all the relavent information in proper order. Proper netiquette which, apparently, nobody remembers or follows.

Now get off my lawn.

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (5, Insightful)

Tack (4642) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869591)

You see, that way you can actually read the discussion from top to bottom, just like a book, and have all the relavent information in proper order. Proper netiquette which, apparently, nobody remembers or follows.

I used to feel this way too, being one of the more pedantic, elitist, hardcore, old school netiquette snobs around. However after having lived in the real world for a while, I find the practice of full bottom posting to be far more annoying than full top posting (where "full" means the entire quoted text is preserved).

On a mailing list or active thread among many people, it quickly becomes tiresome to constantly scroll down to the start of the reply for every new email that comes in. My old school snobbery still insists that the proper method is to prune your quoted reply text to the relevant context and reply inline. But for those who are too lazy to do this (nearly everyone except us throwbacks) and as a result end up quoting the entire email, I find in this case top posting to be far more practical and sensible than bottom posting.

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18869807)

Then use a decent mail client that can skip quoted text.

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (1)

Tack (4642) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869923)

Then use a decent mail client that can skip quoted text.
Is that your best argument? Using proper inline quoting (with pruning irrelevant quoted text) or top-posting that becomes unnecessary. Besides, there is no decent mail client. They all suck.

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (1)

mrotschi (554617) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869301)

It sounds like a troll, it tastes like a troll, but (I guess) this is not a troll !

> i like to be able to use word as an editor,

Mail should be plain ASCII in most cases (You don't know if the receiver of the email can read HTML mails)

> when you answered the e-mail it worked like MAC the answer was at the bottom so you had to scroll down to read the answer,,,very very annoying.

Standard netiquette is "below", that is why the default is below.
If you want the reply "above", set your cursor above or in the middle and type ! :P

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (1)

operagost (62405) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869721)

Mail should be plain ASCII in most cases (You don't know if the receiver of the email can read HTML mails)
Or, you could just include the HTML or rich text as an attachment in a multi-part message. The plaintext version will appear first even in a dumb email client and be perfectly readable.

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (1)

Vicarius (1093097) | more than 6 years ago | (#18870087)

Sending an HTML (or multi-part) message you increase likelihood of your message being flagged as SPAM; especially if your message (text) is small. SpamAssassin is an example of a filter that uses message type in its rules. If you do not need HTML features in your message, then do not use anything but plain-text option.

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18869321)

One other thing that annoyed me (maybe that was a setup i did not find) was that when you answered the e-mail it worked like MAC the answer was at the bottom so you had to scroll down to read the answer,,,very very annoying.

No, what's annoying is people who top-quote. Like yourself, apparently.

An email is a discussion between one or more people. The natural flow of text is top to bottom, like any other formal or informal piece of text. You therefore should always place the newest text, I.e. your reply, at the bottom of the email.

What's also annoying are people who capitalise the word "Mac". Don't do that. If you mean "Macintosh", it isn't an acronym. The acronym "MAC" is "Media Access Controller", which is part of an ethernet card.

A third annoying thing are people who spell "Athlon" with an extra "a" I.e. "Athalon". You didn't actually do that in your post, but I'd be willing to bet that you do, whenever you get the chance.

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (3, Informative)

Wite_Noiz (887188) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869337)

there is so much more features in Outlook
Unless I'm mistaken, Thunderbird replaces Outlook Express, not Outlook.
There are huge differences between those two.

I agree that I'd like Thunderbird to handle more of Outlook's work, but there are extensions (like Lightening) that are slowly doing that.

the answer was at the bottom
At least put some effort in!
Account Settings > [account] > Composition & Addressing > Select: start my reply above the quote

Personally, I use Thunderbird because I find it very quick and easy to use.
I do get the occasional inbox/email corruption, but that's why I keep my profile folder regularly backed up (something that's hard to do with Outlook Express).

Re:Wait for Penelope ! (1)

mpe (36238) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869677)

One other thing that annoyed me (maybe that was a setup i did not find) was that when you answered the e-mail it worked like MAC the answer was at the bottom so you had to scroll down to read the answer,,,very very annoying.

What's wrong with your "End" key?

Quote collapse (5, Funny)

Dachannien (617929) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868783)

Alternatively, you can use my preferred method for eliminating the giant 200-line quoted message bombs that appear below a two-word response. Just bitch at the person repeatedly until they either start deleting the old e-mail quotes themselves or they just stop e-mailing you. Either way, problem solved.

top posting (1, Insightful)

kv9 (697238) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868791)

3. Quote Collapse: This allows you to collapse those pesky quotes that are at the bottom of every email. This is a must for people who are accustomed to using Gmail.
top posting is bad mkay?

Re:top posting (1)

gfxguy (98788) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869157)

I agree... unfortunately, everyone at work does it. So if I start at the bottom, and the email goes back and forth several times, you simply can't follow it anymore. It must have been outlook that started that nonsense.

Re:top posting (5, Funny)

gEvil (beta) (945888) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869293)

I fully concur. I can't stand top-posting, but I have to deal with it (and do it myself), otherwise everyone at work bitches about how I'm "intentionally being difficult"...

I agree... unfortunately, everyone at work does it. So if I start at the bottom, and the email goes back and forth several times, you simply can't follow it anymore. It must have been outlook that started that nonsense.

Re:top posting (4, Funny)

sarathmenon (751376) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869407)

I fully concur. I can't stand top-posting, but I have to deal with it (and do it myself), otherwise everyone at work bitches about how I'm "intentionally being difficult"...

I agree... unfortunately, everyone at work does it. So if I start at the bottom, and the email goes back and forth several times, you simply can't follow it anymore. It must have been outlook that started that nonsense.


Yup, you definitely hate top posting.

Re:top posting (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18870001)

Moderation: -1 Whoosh! Right over his head.

Re:top posting (1)

Skrynesaver (994435) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869409)

As a result you have to remember what's going on in 20 odd threads or scroll like the afore-mentioned loon
Of course my colleagues and clients top post also
In fact you don't have to scroll up and down to get the sense of what is being said otherwise
This means that judiciously snipped mail threads are legible in a single mail
Thunderbird post-posts by default

Re:top posting (4, Insightful)

mgblst (80109) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869437)

Why is top posting bad? If it is a conversation you are all involved in, then you shouldn't even need to scroll down. I came from a camp of bottom posters, but now I just want the email relating to me at the top. I don't see a problem anymore, and I am quite happy to ignore the previously sent emails, so they should be at the bottom.

Re:top posting (4, Funny)

Stavr0 (35032) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869467)

Because it's difficult to read.

On 2007.04.25 9:35 Stavr0 wrote:
> Why is top posting bad?
>
> On 2007.04.25 8:40, KV9 wrote:
> > top posting is bad mkay?
>

Re:top posting (1, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18869809)

Difficult to read only if you have a retarded client that does not order textes by reply order.
I really HATE having to scroll down to see the actual interesting stuff just because an anal retentive dumbass think for whatever reason that I don't remember what I just have read in the previous post.
Basically quoting the full text a the end is just a reminder in case off you have a stupid newsgroup/mail client, or if you don't read a thread in the good order for whatever reason.
But for the majority, having to scroll through stuff they just read is stupid. So there is a reason they don't accept this stupid netiquette coming from old ages where intelligent client were not existing.

and by the way, if you want to enforce the first rule, alors enforce the second one, that is:don't fucking quote the whole text at all....

Re:top posting (3, Insightful)

pwrtool 45 (792547) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869941)

Gah. This sounds like countless conversations that have long been done to death on Usenet all over again.

Some of us don't want to have to reread or needlessly scroll through the entirety of multiple emails to get to the most recent response(s). Especially in longer conversations involving several people. If you've forgotten what the email was about, then you can do your scrolling. Otherwise, the part you need (the most recent bit) is right there in front of you. Efficiency!

But I guess that depends on if you're just a reader or if you're also a responder. People sending me email tend to want a response, so I prefer top-posting. YMMV.

top posting is bad mkay?

Sloooooooo.....oooow (1, Interesting)

mwvdlee (775178) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868793)

I've recently tried Thunderbird 2 on a WinXP system, where I'd like it to replace Outlook Express. Feature-wise Thunderbird 2 seems to offer everything I need and it wasn't too hard to find them. However, Thunderbird 2 seems a lot slower than Outlook Express. Another annoyance was that Thunderbird 2 orders mails by send date, not received date: Spam often has a bullshit received date, making them pop-up all over my inbox, instead of neatly at the end where I can filter them out more easily. Even though I block well over 90% of spam, I still get a few hundred each day, so it's of some importance to me that I can manually filter spam easily.

Order by send date. (1)

140Mandak262Jamuna (970587) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868917)

Isn't that a feature, not a bug? The malformed date tag is a spam indicator. So it is good Thunderbird will put it at the top of the list, out of sight. Just mark the folder read. If you have legitimate correspondent using legal software has wrong dates, it is because his/her machine is riddled with viruses. So dont want to read their mail either. For a long time Outlook express used to mess up the subject tag and in Thunderbird (older versions) the subject line was missing, and thus filed in spam folder. A few of my collegues bitched, but I held firm. The problem is in Outlook or they way they have configured Outlook. All mails from yahoo, gmail, hotmail were coming through correctly. I will not work around the bugs of Outlook just because it is ubiquitous. I refused to edit my filter rules or whitelist them. I dont know what/when/who fixed it. Now a days Outlook is sending mails correctly. I think so. I have not looked at the spam folder for a long time. May be they just gave up on me and stopped bitching.

Re:Order by send date. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18869079)

Isn't that a feature, not a bug? The malformed date tag is a spam indicator. So it is good Thunderbird will put it at the top of the list, out of sight. Just mark the folder read.

It's neither a bug nor a feature. It's a mis-feature. Evolution does this too, and it's a pain in the ass. I want to delete spam, not leave it lying around in my mail folders. Not being able to see it is a royal pain in the ass.

Of course if Evolutions spam filter worked, it wouldn't be half the issue it is.

Re:Order by send date. (1)

mwvdlee (775178) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869105)

How can you say Thunderbird is right sorting e-mails the way it does, when I want it differently? Is that the level of user-friendliness one is to expect of Thunderbird; "my way or the high way"? Besides; it's not uncommon for legitimate e-mail to have old dates. For instance when it has been sitting in somebody's outbox for a number of days. I guess if Thunderbird thinks it should force it's ideas on me instead of letting me work the way I want, I'll just not use Thunderbird any more.

Re:Order by send date. (1)

thsths (31372) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869393)

> Is that the level of user-friendliness one is to expect of Thunderbird; "my way or the high way"?

That is the impression I get, too. I was a regular user of Mozilla Mail, but since they cut up the suite, there is really no reason to use Thunderbird anymore.

Order by is configurable (4, Informative)

sidney (95068) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869303)

You can order by receive date. Click on the icon on the right side of the column header of the preview pane to see all the column headings that are available, and select "Order Received". That adds a column to the display which is a message number that is incremented as each message is received.

You can sort messages by the contents of any column by clicking on the column header. Click again to sort in the opposite order. So once you have an Order Received column, click on its heading to have messages sorted by the received date instead of the Send Date. The sort order you select is remembered when you exit and restart Thunderbird.

Features: messages/account back-up and restore (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18868937)

Does back-up and restore works on TB 2.0 out of the box (like some function in file or tools menu)? Or you need some extra add-on or browse in support pages to fing out how.

Re:Sloooooooo.....oooow (1)

gfxguy (98788) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869199)

Well, you should work on training the built in spam-filter, then.

Moreover, while it doesn't have a "recieved date", it does have an "order received" field, which means you can sort by that with the same results as sorting by recieved date.

Re:Sloooooooo.....oooow (1)

cloudnin (843721) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869355)

Yeah, Thunderbird 2 was pretty slow on Windows XP for me too. Since I didn't notice any major improvements over version 1.5, I switched back. I did the same thing after trying Firefox 2 for awhile since it always wanted to open up javascript links in the same new tab instead of separate ones like with Firefox 1.5, and I couldn't figure out a way to change this. I was hoping that they'd fix this by the time they ended support for version 1.5 (April 24 - yesterday), but I checked the most recent version and they still haven't. Hopefully they'll update Thunderbird 2 so it's speedier before support for 1.5 ends in October.

wake up editors. (5, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18868823)

how on earth did this dire article make it through the editors process?
Its of abysmal quality and precious little substance.

Forget about extensions... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18868889)

...make it faster. For whatever reason, Thunderbird is dog slow for me. When I use my Outlook on Windows for work - that is much faster at processing email.

Thunderbird just sits there for 30+ seconds when attempting to view a new message.

Rather than create a bunch of extensions hardly anyone would use... improve it's existing features first

Re:Forget about extensions... (1)

metamatic (202216) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869797)

Maybe the fault is with your mail server? I have tens of thousands of e-mails on my IMAP server, and going to any random message is less than a second.

Because it sucks? (3, Interesting)

thsths (31372) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868895)

Sorry to be so blunt, I'll try to explain what I mean. Whichever way you look at it, Firefox is the gold standard of browsers. It is more standard compliant and easier to use than IE, more compatibly than Konqueror, and much more extensible and better looking than Opera. While you can find better browsers for niche applications (lynx on telnet), there is no general purpose browser that comes even close to Firefox.

Thunderbird on the other hand is just a lot of promises. It still uses folders, while labels are obviously the way to go. Threading is poor. Integration between different message sources is basically non-existent. The search function sucks really badly. There is no integration with any reasonable calender (and don't call sunbird reasonable). And it is actually difficult to use, certainly compared to the competition (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Outlook, Opera, KMail...).

I mean seriously: can Thunderbird even sort threads on the date of the most recent message in a thread? Last time I tried it could not. GMail does that by default, and it is by far the most sensible way to order messages. Make Thunderbird not suck, and I will give it another try.

Re:Because it sucks? (1)

neutrino38 (1037806) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869031)

Who has moderated the parent as flamebait ?

The parent post points out obvious flaws that prevent TB to be the same success as FF.
I would add:

- closed address book with no proper import function.
- on Mac OSX : no integration with system adressbook and system calendar as well as Keychain.
- no contact and calendar synch with mobile device.

Note : I am a TB user.

Re:Because it sucks? (1)

Fred_A (10934) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869257)

I use TB as well and regularly switch between it and Kmail on the same machine (I keep my mail on my IMAP server) and I'm not too happy with TB either. Granted TB is just a mail app and not a piece of a groupware suite (like Kontact is) but a bit of openness would indeed help it (beyond LDAP which is a pain to setup just for that purpose).

Re:Because it sucks? (1)

owlnation (858981) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869469)

I agree, the parent is valid criticism - not flamebait. Please mod parent up.

I too use TB. But honestly the only reason I do is because I have a certain sense of loyalty to Mozilla, and I want to believe that TB will be the app for mail.

However, I'm not sure how deluded that idea is. I converted to Firefox because it just was so intuitive as to the way I needed to browse. The extensions helped that even more. It was a night and day epiphany in browsing for me. It offered me more (much more) that I was getting with Safari and IE.

TB is a different story - it has less features than most of its competition. It is of little use in small business environment. It is slow, it is volatile, is even worse on a Mac, and I find the whole filter UI experience to be unintuitive and prohibitive. To work out strong filters on TB you need to pretty much sit down and plan with a piece of paper first. (and why no ability to filter out attachments?)

Extensions, and the choice of which, seem to be the least priority with TB. Seems that many of the extensions available are essentially adding features that are common in most other programs.

Sorry to bitch Mozilla chaps, I do intend to continue to use TB. I do think there's talented people at Mozilla and that TB's shortcomings are understood. I hope you get there in the end. You just have to understand that right now it's a frustrating piece of software. Extensions aren't going to that fix anytime soon.

TB thread sorting (was Re:Because it sucks?) (4, Informative)

cspruck (28447) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869487)

can Thunderbird even sort threads on the date of the most recent message in a thread?
If I understand the above: View > Sort By > choose Date, Descending (or Ascending if you want), and Threaded

Options usually work if you just try them. :-)

Re:TB thread sorting (was Re:Because it sucks?) (1)

gfxguy (98788) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869727)

Yeah, but send date != recieve date. Thunderbird's "Date" field is the send date.

What the user wants, in TB parlance, is "Order Recieved", he just couldn't figure it out and so complained that TB couldn't do it.

Re:Because it sucks? (2, Informative)

pebs (654334) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869735)

Thunderbird on the other hand is just a lot of promises. It still uses folders, while labels are obviously the way to go.

Thunderbird 2.0 has tags, which if I understand correctly is the same as labels, except you get to (or "have to") use folders in addition to tags. It doesn't appear to store the tags on the IMAP server, though, which is bummer and makes it useless for me (haven't tried it myself, but read some forum posting that said it didn't). IMAP is of course still folder based, so eliminating folders altogether is not possible.

The reason I mention IMAP is because I couldn't imagine someone would use POP3 instead of IMAP (unless you're one of those fools who use a webmail provider that doesn't support IMAP *cough*Gmail*cough*)

There is no integration with any reasonable calender (and don't call sunbird reasonable)

I think you mean "Lightning". Lightning isn't that great, but at least I can understand those damn Exchange invites I get from time to time.

A ways to go... (2, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18868903)

You know that Thunderbird has a ways to go when the #1 extension is minimize to tray??

Where's redirect? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18868907)

How could they overlook the redirect extension? Come on people, its a feature that we've had in most other mail clients since at least the 80's. But yet its an extension for thunderbird.
Its always the first thing I install for thunderbird, and comes in handy many times.

Enigmail. (0, Redundant)

saintlupus (227599) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868941)

I was surprised that Enigmail wasn't listed; for GPG integration into email, it's a great tool, simple to use. I've even got some of the departments that deal with sensitive data at work using it, and they are _not_ technical people by inclination.

--saint

Anyone know of an extension (2, Interesting)

Rogerborg (306625) | more than 6 years ago | (#18868959)

That allows message filters to run on the body of IMAP messages? That's pretty basic functionality for Thunderbird to still be missing, given how long it's been a known issue. And yes, I've tried the "might work-arounds", and they don't.

Re:Anyone know of an extension (1)

onecheapgeek (964280) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869107)

When I'm using an IMAP server, I do all my filtering on the server so that I'm not dependent on my client running to handle filtering. Seems that would be the best method for handling filtering when the mail doesn't end up on my local machine.

Can someone fix that Webmail extension for firefox (1)

BRUTICUS (325520) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869115)

Id love to be able to sort and delete all my damn hotmail someday... i'm waiting for a hotmail client. Or Thunderbird to do it up. Thunderbirds apparently used to work but not anymore..

Whats wrong? (1)

Bob54321 (911744) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869243)

I use the webmail extension to check my hotmail account. The only time I have had problems in the last year was when hotmails interface changed but that was fixed in a day.

gmail (1)

prockcore (543967) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869127)

After fighting with Evolution and Thunderbird, I've given up. I just have gmail pop all my mail. Not only does this eliminate the hassle of checking my mail from multiple machines, but gmail actually handles meeting requests properly. (Evolution never seems to recognize the timezones of any meeting requests I get... so all the meetings were scheduled for the wrong time, and Evolution wouldn't even let me change them).

fu3ker (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18869251)

[amazingkreskFin.com]

Virtual Identity (4, Informative)

ccarr.com (262540) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869273)

Virtual Identity [mozilla.org] is essential if you, like many of us, maintain more addresses per inbox than can be conveniently managed via Thunderbirds's stock identity manager.

Oh, to have a mobile client that would sync. (1)

Overzeetop (214511) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869319)

I like tbird - really. I like it more than outlook, for certain.

However, I wish there were a WM(5/6) client that would sync through activesync. Call WM any names you want (I've used most of the profane ones at some point in the past 5 years) - but it's on practically all poratble devices that aren't named after a small fruit or body part (hmm, well it does have significant marketshare, even if I coulnd't say "most").

I'm tempted every now and then to want to switch to outlook for the simple reason that it Just Works (TM) with my mobile device. Then I remember how much I hated outlook for email when I used it, and I decide it's better not to have email at all than to use outlook. (I'd switch entirely to mozilla if they had a decent calendar and contact program which would sync with my mobile...but I've resigned myself that that will never happen)

autorewrap (1)

spoonyfork (23307) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869341)

Bless the heart of the David Perry for autorewrap [mozdev.org]. I detested having manually rewrap when replying in Thunderbird. This worked great under 1.5 but now no longer works with 2.0. Please update for 2.0 David!

Re:autorewrap (1)

zoomosis (169771) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869577)

Presumably the current version of autorewrap is disabled in Thunderbird 2.0 because the maxversion setting in the .xpi file is set to only allow it to run in Thunderbird 1.5.x. You can use the "MR Tech's Local Install" extension to force other extensions to essentially ignore that setting. This works in both Thunderbird & Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/ [mozilla.org]
http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install/ [mrtech.com]

- ozz

Obligatory end-to-end commentary (4, Informative)

IGnatius T Foobar (4328) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869345)

Before some random dork starts spouting about how Thunderbird sux0rs because open source doesn't have an end-to-end Outlook/Exchange replacement...

Thunderbird+Lightning connected to a Citadel server [citadel.org] does the job quite nicely. Mail, calendar, contacts, all server-side and end-to-end, 100 percent open source.

Thanks for asking. :)

Re:Obligatory end-to-end commentary (1)

metamatic (202216) | more than 6 years ago | (#18870085)

How's Citadel's integration with LDAP for Apple Mail and Apple Address Book?

My favorites (1)

chroma (33185) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869391)

I'm using:
Show InOut: adds a column to the thread pane which shows whether you or someone else wrote the message. This is useful if you want both incoming and outgoing messages in the same folder
Mnenhy: Among other things, allows you to have different columns shown in the thread pane, depending upon which folder you're viewing.
GMailUI: Among other things, improved searching of your folders.

Enigmail, PGP Encryption of Email (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18869493)

Enigmail is a must, it's PGP encryption of email.
If you've never been a sysadmin, then you don't know what us sysadmins do all day, WE READ YOUR EMAILS AND LAUGH AT THEM. Sometimes we make the equivalent of blooper reels to send around to each other at Christmas.
"Ahh, John in accounts is cheating on Wendy his wife with Doris in Marketing. Here's the email where he accidently forwards to the wife instead of the girlfriend".

The only thing I'd like in Enigmail is automated key exchanges, so that email sent between two Thunderbird users that have Enigmail automatically causes the public keys to be exchanged.

TagZilla (4, Interesting)

T.E.D. (34228) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869575)

The only add-on I use is TagZilla [mozdev.org], which adds a randomly selected tagline from a file to every email. I'm so attached to this that I won't upgrade to newer versions of Thunderbird until TagZilla supports them.

I have people ask me all the time how I get those randomly selected tags on my emails. Of course the answer starts with "First off, you have to be using Thunderbird..." :-)

you Failf It (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | more than 6 years ago | (#18869581)

Wash- off hands '7irst post' It's best to try

I'm using... (1)

zoomosis (169771) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869707)

I don't use a lot - just the Auto Copy, Image Zoom and MR Tech Local Install extensions.

Auto Copy, so I can copy text to the clipboard just by highlighting it (no need to press Ctrl+C).

Image Zoom, so Thunderbird will reduce the size of images to fit the message view pane. Without it, you have to scroll around a lot for large images.

MR Tech Local Install so I can force extensions to ignore the maxversion setting in the .xpi file, if necessary. Useful for when you upgrade either Firefox or Thunderbird and your extensions suddenly stop working - you can force them to work. Or at least try to work. I had to use that to get Image Zoom working in Thunderbird 2.0, although I think it's not necessary any more with the most recent version of Image Copy.

http://autocopy.mozdev.org/ [mozdev.org]
http://imagezoom.yellowgorilla.net/ [yellowgorilla.net]
http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install/ [mrtech.com]

- ozz

What about Morecols? (1)

cwilly (888621) | more than 6 years ago | (#18869827)

Thunderbird doesn't natively have the ability to import vCards mailboxes (Come on Mozilla!), but Morecols [nic-nac-project.org] allows you to import and expert vCards. It should be on everyone's list, although the developer doesn't list it on Mozilla's Add-ons site (get with it Kaosmos!).

thunderbidrn is not a success like fire because (1)

cinnamon colbert (732724) | more than 6 years ago | (#18870031)

it ain't as good as other mail programs
Firefox was clealry superior to other browsers; thunderbird is not clearly superior to outlook (the only program i am familiar with) and, imo, is markedly inferior in many ways
which brings us to the central truth of open source software: most users use software as tool to get something done; when they are free to choose (as in the browser or mail program used at home) they will willing ly select open source if it is better; they will not if if aint better
If someone wants to have a discussion of why tb ain't so good, great - it might acutally lead to something.
Load More Comments
Slashdot Account

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Don't worry, we never post anything without your permission.

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>
Sign up for Slashdot Newsletters
Create a Slashdot Account

Loading...