Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Ask Slashdot: Geek travel to London from US, tips?

Audrey23 (663718) writes | more than 4 years ago


Audrey23 (663718) writes "I am traveling to London from Washington state for two weeks in December for pleasure (use it or lose it vacation scenario) and was wondering if I should bother bringing my laptop?
I know that I would have to change the region code on my wireless amongst other things and the power cord would have to be changed for a UK outlet.
Would I be better off not bringing my laptop and just using Internet kiosks (do they exist in London) or would having my laptop be a better choice to keep in touch, off-load my digital images etc?
I plan on hitting the British Museum but was wondering what geeky things to do that are in London that might be worth going to and any tips hints on overseas travel for geeks?
I travel quite a bit in the states but this will be my first trip overseas and want to make the best of my stay in merry old England.
What words of advice do you travel seasoned geeks have for me?"

cancel ×


Sorry! There are no comments related to the filter you selected.

Buy a netbook now (1)

egcagrac0 (1410377) | more than 4 years ago | (#30208006)

Buy a netbook for travel. No risk of losing your data on the primary computer (theft, airline luggage mishap, customs, etc); if it doesn't work it's no biggie - $350. Most laptop power supplies I've seen are 100v-240v, so you just need a plug adapter on the end.

Check the power brick carefully! (1)

Zocalo (252965) | more than 4 years ago | (#30208354)

Most bricks are 120/240V (or 220V) these days, but most of the exceptions seem to be from the US. Plug a 220/240V only brick into a US supply via an adapter and chances are that nothing will happen, but plug a 120V only brick into a 220/240V socket and it *will* go bang!

Don't miss the Science Museum (1)

Dean3 (1684954) | more than 4 years ago | (#30210254)

No geeky trip to London would be complete without a visit to the Science Museum. It's an amazing collection of science and engineering history - not just for kids. []
Check for New Comments
Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?