thecarchik (1520545) writes "Ford has announced the release of a software develoment kit (SDK) for the Sync system. Along with the SDK came news that Ford is also developing an application programming interface (API), which will facilitate and standardize the interaction between Sync and the various apps built for it. According to SyncMyRide.com, the API will ultimately allow developers to:
1. Create a voice UI for your application using the in-vehicle speech recognition system.
2. Write information to the radio head display or in-vehicle touchscreen
3. Speak text using text-to-speech engine.
4. Use the in-vehicle menu system to provide commands or options for your mobile application
5. Get button presses from the radio and steering wheel controls.
6. Receive vehicle data (speed, GPS location, fuel economy, etc.)"
Link to Original Source