wiredmikey (1824622) writes "Two children and a young man have died this summer from a brain-eating amoeba that lives in water, health officials say. This month, the rare infection killed a 16-year-old Florida girl, who fell ill after swimming, and a 9-year-old Virginia boy, who died a week after he went to a fishing day camp. The boy had been dunked the first day of camp, his mother told the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
The illness is extremely rare. About 120 U.S. cases — almost all of them deaths — have been reported since the amoeba was identified in the early 1960s, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
It's a medical mystery why some people who swim in amoeba-containing water get the fatal nervous system condition while many others don't, experts say."
Link to Original Source