pigrabbitbear writes "Obama's first State of the Union Address since his reelection was largely and predictably dedicated to nearsighted deficit talk and weary calls to overcome Congressional dysfunction. But amidst the boilerplate—and the comparatively impassioned calls for action on gun control and, to a lesser extent, climate change—Obama snuck in some radical, forward-looking ideas. Some are downright utopian. SOTUs are notorious for being lofty wish-lists, so consider these proposals as Obama's wildest political fantasies.
Here's how the president wants us to win the future this time:
1. Transform Declining Towns into 3D Printing Hubs
2. Spend Money on Science Like We're in a Space Race
3. Use Oil and Gas Money to Fund Cleantech Research
4. Amp Up Wind Power
5. Go All-In On Solar
6. Build High Speed Rail to Attract Foreign Investment
7. Get Self-Healing Power Grids
8. Acheive Universal Preschool
9. Turn High Schools Into High Tech Incubators
10. Peg the Minimum Wage to the Cost of Living
Of course, Obama had plenty of backwards and incoherent ideas, too—ramping up oil drilling while trying to fight climate change, signing a cyber-security executive order that somehow promotes both "information-sharing" and privacy, and referring to his "transparent" war on terror without mentioning drones, for instance. But this is a difficult time for the U.S. and for Washington, and even as he pointed out huge challenges, Obama did his job as President tonight, pointing at America's opportunities, and the kind of changes that, you know, you want to believe in."
Link to Original Source