Whiteox writes "After many years with Windows and Apple/Mac OS, I have decided to work using Linux for a number of reasons. I turn to Slashdot for help as I'm not sure which distro I should adopt. I've tried PCOS and Ubuntu but they are not for me.
So here is what I would like:
1. Learning curve doesn't matter
2. I am interested in programming and development (but stopped 10 years ago) and would like to access a variety of languages.
3. I need it to work with common whitebox hardware
4. I found Windows too slow to work with gigabytes of files and I need speed for listings.
5. A functional and hopefully customizable GUI
The top 2 or 3 would be excellent for my short list.
I appreciate your advice."