What Programming Language For Linux Development?
Be very clear on your intent...
- If your goal is to create a "production system" of some sort, then you should pick pretty carefully from one of the following lists:
- A scripting language, with Bash, being really ubiquitously available, being a good first choice, and fallback options being Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby
- A "compiles-to-native" language, either C or C++
- If you favor dynamic frameworks, then Java.
(Or perhaps Mono...)
- If you are trying to learn, are in a position to consider the results "throwaway code," and are interested in learning programming concepts, then you should look quite a bit more widely:
There are a
lot of interesting computer languages out there!