Beta
×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Comments

top

Creating Electric Power From Light Using Gold Nanoparticles

EatHam Re:"Self-powering" (77 comments)

If they're powered by light then they aren't really "self-powered", are they? /blockquote They are if you can get them to produce light.

more than 4 years ago
top

How Do You Accurately Estimate Programming Time?

EatHam Re:Simply, no software required. (483 comments)

All you have to do is remember that the first 90% of the project takes the first 90% of the time line, and the remaining 10% of the project takes the other 90% of time.

more than 4 years ago
top

Studies Reveal Why Kids Get Bullied and Rejected

EatHam Re:I could have told you that. (938 comments)

Yes, I said *being* in a fight. If your kid tries to defend himself and gets his ass whupped, he gets suspended even if he weren't the aggressor. Both kids get suspended.

So now the only reasonable thing to teach your kid is that if he's bullied to hit first, hit often, fight dirty, and win at all costs. If you're going to get a suspension, you might as well go in to it with a W.

more than 4 years ago
top

Champerty and Other Common Law We Could Use Today

EatHam Re:Trial By Combat! (158 comments)

I'd be perfectly fine with legalized dueling so long as there were set rules and the major players were above the age of 18 and mentally fit.

It'd make the legal profession far more interesting if professional arguers were replaced with professional duelers.

more than 4 years ago
top

Scientology Attacker Will Be Sentenced To Jail

EatHam Re:Seriously? (354 comments)

As long as parents have the legal "right" to force their (property) offspring into organized religion, ethical people have the RIGHT to use force to oppose such religions.

Ethical people generally are not hyperbolic idiots or religious or anti-religious fanatics, therefore do not assert a right to use force to influence people's religious beliefs.

more than 4 years ago
top

The DIY $10 Prepaid Cellphone Remote Car Starter

EatHam Re: Idling is bad for the engine (454 comments)

According to Consumer Reports AND The Tappet Brothers (Tom and Ray Magliozzi) it's bad for the engine to "warm up" your car by letting it run idle in park. It's also a waste of time and gasoline.

Those guys can eat my ass if they think I'm driving around in a cold car I can't see out of. They are also welcome to scrape my windshield for me.

more than 4 years ago
top

Who's Controlling Our Vital Information Systems?

EatHam Where's the risk? (116 comments)

I have increasingly come to the conclusion that we are putting our state's operations at risk and compromising the trust of the people of our state by outsourcing core government functions.

Well, my interaction with my state's operations have made me increasingly come to the conclusion that I would trust a rowdy herd of poorly trained chimpanzees over the state's employees. So bring on the contractors, I say.

more than 4 years ago
top

Does a Lame E-Mail Address Really Matter?

EatHam Re:yes (1049 comments)

I've got a Yahoo email address. Would you have been do stupidly biased against me?

That depends. Is it something like yourname@yahoo.com, or ILikeToDrinkAndSkipWorkTheNextDay@yahoo.com?

more than 4 years ago
top

Surgeon Makes Tutorial DVD For Conscious Open-Heart Surgery

EatHam Re:You aren't exactly wide awake... (170 comments)

Keeping you awake is done because it is easier to keep you from not dying when they aren't trying to put you to sleep

What if I don't want to be kept from not dying?

more than 4 years ago
top

MagicJack Femtocell Gates Cell Traffic to VoIP

EatHam 3000 sq ft house? (243 comments)

It supposedly will cover a 3,000 sq ft house.

My house is 3 feet wide and 1000 ft long. Am I covered, smart guy?

more than 4 years ago
top

New Research Suggests G-Spot Doesn't Exist

EatHam Re:My Wife Thinks it Exists (392 comments)

She never had an orgasm until I figured out where her supposedly non-existent g-spot is

Yes she did.

more than 4 years ago
top

How Many Admins Per User/Computer Have You Seen?

EatHam Re:Depends (414 comments)

When asked to do something, to you just go ahead and do it? Or do you require things like justifications, business cases, funding, staff, etc?

Admins do not get to require justification or business cases to do their jobs. That is management's job.

more than 4 years ago
top

Eolas Sues World + Dog For AJAX Patent

EatHam Re:laughable (647 comments)

If the world were "fair" every single human would have as an inalienable right free access to decent food, housing, healthcare, and security and working beyond that would be an optional choice to better their life.

If the world were "fair" lazy shitbags who want decent food, housing, healthcare, and security without being willing to work for it would get tossed into a volcano.

more than 4 years ago
top

How Men and Women Badly Estimate Their Own Intelligence

EatHam Re:They believe it because it's true (928 comments)

The US has one of the most liberal immigration policies in the world. It's easier to come here than almost anywhere else.

more than 4 years ago
top

Lifecycle Energy Costs of LED, CFL Bulbs Calculated

EatHam Re:LED lighting vs. CFL question (400 comments)

Probably the single best thing about the current LED bulbs is you can throw them away.

I can throw away CFLs too, and the environment can eat my ass if it doesn't like it.

more than 4 years ago
top

Murdoch To Explore Blocking Google Searches

EatHam Re:Robots.txt (549 comments)

Could be that he wants to block the actual content, regardless of whether it is on one of his sites or not? Like maybe he's licensed a particular story to zombo.com, and wants to block zombo.com from having that story show up in search results as well?

more than 4 years ago
top

Why a High IQ Doesn't Mean You're Smart

EatHam Re:419 Scams (808 comments)

They're biased against the poor, and more african americans are poor.

more than 4 years ago
top

Hyperdrive Propulsion Could Be Tested At the LHC

EatHam Re:One thing... (322 comments)

OP did not specify the desired deceleration rate. My idea fulfills the requirements stated.

more than 4 years ago
top

Hyperdrive Propulsion Could Be Tested At the LHC

EatHam Re:One thing... (322 comments)

"calculated that a stationary mass should repel a particle moving towards or away from it at more than half the speed of light"

So, how do I slow down while going half he speed of light?

According to what you have in quotes, approaching a stationary mass ought to do the job.

more than 4 years ago
top

Sloppy Linux Admins Enable Slow Brute-Force Attacks

EatHam Re:Outward facing systems ... (391 comments)

And perhaps set your SSH port to a non-standard port, where possible? Brute-force attackers seem to ignore high (> 1023) ports.

That works great until everyone starts doing it, and the brute-force attackers no longer ignore it.

more than 4 years ago

Submissions

EatHam hasn't submitted any stories.

Journals

EatHam has no journal entries.

Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>