Beta

Slashdot: News for Nerds

×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Comments

top

X11 7.7 Released, Brings Multi-Touch Input

FauxPasIII Re:Wht not sound? (128 comments)

>> Different mixes and levels for different apps

Weird... I wanted that feature, and that's exactly why I was installing PulseAudio for a year before Ubuntu picked it up as a standard. PulseAudio makes per-app mixing just work, whereas before Pulse came around I had never seen any OS do that since the BeOS.

more than 2 years ago
top

X11 7.7 Released, Brings Multi-Touch Input

FauxPasIII Re:Wht not sound? (128 comments)

Not the only one. Hell, I was setting up pulseaudio by hand for a year or so before it became the standard on Ubuntu, just because it made things work _so_ much better.

However, the reports of it borking things are consistent enough to convince me we might be in a minority.

more than 2 years ago
top

Apple Commits To 100% Renewable Energy Sources for NC Data Center

FauxPasIII Re:North Carolina (108 comments)

> I live in Raleigh, NC, and for those who have a jaundiced perspective of the south I would like to say that this region is booming in terms of technology-centric business

You know, maybe it's because I've always lived to the south of you (Atlanta), but I never really applied the negative southern stereotype to North Carolina, not until you amended your constitution just a couple weeks ago.

It will be interesting to see how that decision affects the state in the medium term... stereotypes and reputation like that can have a lot of impact on whether companies choose to set up shop there.

more than 2 years ago
top

Hunters Shoot Down Drone of Animal Rights Group

FauxPasIII Re:If they hadn't brought their drone (1127 comments)

This isn't flamebait. Parent is referring, sarcastically, to the common analog of the "blame the victim" argument the grandparent is making.

more than 2 years ago
top

FAA Bill Authorizes Surveillance Drones Over US

FauxPasIII Re:If they were manned aircraft would it be an iss (294 comments)

> Put the same equipment in a manned aircraft and it's a snoozer.

Interesting point. I guess on some level, we're hoping that with a manned aircraft, an egregiously and obviously illegal order to target U.S. citizens might be disobeyed or even made public.

more than 2 years ago
top

HPV Vaccine Recommended For Boys

FauxPasIII Re:Social conservatives amaze me... (569 comments)

> I dunno if we should mandate it on men. Then again, I don't think it should be mandated for women either, at least not without parental consent to opt in.

The problem with that approach is that the anti-vaccination kooks don't just make themselves and each other sick, they incubate diseases that affect everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_controversy
http://www.skepdic.com/antivaccination.html

more than 2 years ago
top

Tevatron Has Come To the End of Its Run

FauxPasIII Re:Don't worry (115 comments)

As long as we can get Nimoy to do the voice work I'm down.

more than 2 years ago
top

Science and Religion Can and Do Mix, Mostly

FauxPasIII Re:This just makes sense (1345 comments)

> It's also why they didn't put Hitler in, as to many people he's just a misunderstood guy who tried to do his best against the forces of Zionist-Communism.

Well, that and he was a Roman Catholic, so it would weaken the point they were trying to make. The superior morality of religion is one of the few arguments that cannot be successfully Godwin'd. =)

more than 2 years ago
top

Science and Religion Can and Do Mix, Mostly

FauxPasIII Re:This just makes sense (1345 comments)

It also teaches that if a man rapes a woman, he has committed a property crime against her father and will be forced to marry her as part of her punishment.
Are you really sure these are the old books you want to use?

more than 2 years ago
top

Science and Religion Can and Do Mix, Mostly

FauxPasIII Re:This just makes sense (1345 comments)

> Discarding the moral teachings that have been handed down over thousands of years is equally ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous; moral philosophy has been advancing since the bronze age, just like science. There's a reason that religions founded in that era endorse slavery, regard women as property, and practice scapegoating, to name just a few items; they are only as moral, could only possibly be as moral, as the men who founded them were. We can do better today.

more than 2 years ago
top

Healthcare Law Appealed To Supreme Court

FauxPasIII Re:What other products (1019 comments)

> as a practicing physician before the Feds got involved he never saw a patient left to die

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, but even so, that can't POSSIBLY be true. I'm only 32 and two people close to me have died because of an inability to afford treatment; one a few years back from melanoma and one just last week from breast cancer.

I suppose it's possible that Ron Paul managed to work as a physician and never notice the poor dying all around him, but is that really the most likely explanation?

more than 2 years ago
top

Who Killed the Netbook?

FauxPasIII Re:The Netbook is dead? (398 comments)

> the generally accepted definitions do not preclude the use of hard disks

And THAT, if anything, is what is killing netbooks.

When Asus came out with the EeePC 701, it was something truly different; 9" body (only a 7" display in that first model), SSD only, cheap. It had Linux, but even being the zealot that I am I don't consider that a requirement for a netbook. The 9xx series (full 9" display, same size body) was the pinnacle of netbook evolution from my point of view. (Arguably surpassed by the Asus T91MT, but that one had a crappy GPU which wasn't useful in Linux).

Nowadays, there are "netbooks" up to 12" in size, you almost can't find a 9" anymore, and SSD are uncommon. Basically, the term "netbook" has come to just mean "crappy laptop".

more than 2 years ago
top

GM Patents Data Mining Method For Refining the Chevy Volt

FauxPasIII Re:Wrong way to look at range. (113 comments)

> it is not trivial to take the long road trips into account

It is *kinda* trivial. ;) Back when I lived in dorms and then apartments, I kept a minivan because I had to move frequently, and needed the cargo room. Shortly after I bought a home, my van died and I was shopping for a vehicle. A week or so into the process it occurred to me that I no longer required moving capacity, so I was able to buy an ultra-compact and save buckets of money and fuel. Once a year or so if I find a piece of furniture or other large thing I need to move, and I rent a U-Haul truck.

Same logic applies to battery electrics; I make about two trips per year that are out of range of, say, a Nissan Leaf. I've run the numbers and I come out _way, waaaayy_ ahead by commuting with the Leaf and renting a Yaris or a Civic or something twice a year. A lot of communities are starting up car-sharing systems for an even more flexible and lower cost option.

more than 3 years ago
top

The Average Human Has 60 New Genetic Mutations

FauxPasIII Re:Hogwash! (246 comments)

Quick! You're needed two stories up on the climate change topic!

more than 3 years ago
top

Re: the U.S. 2012 election campaign, I am:

FauxPasIII Re:It's like watching a train wreck. (462 comments)

> I would love to have lower taxes. Who wouldn't?

Unless you make more than $300,000USD/year, Obama has lowered your taxes.

I'd much rather have slightly higher taxes and have a healthcare system modeled on France or the UK, better public transportation infrastructure, free or heavily subsidized college education, a revitalized space program, and a raft of other things that would make the country run better for everyone.

Of course, we could fund all of this and still keep GWBush's billionaire tax cuts by cancelling just one war, but that's a third rail that no politician can survive contact with.

more than 3 years ago
top

Hackers Expose 26,000 Sex Website Passwords

FauxPasIII Re:Two minds (497 comments)

Reminder: 100.0% of the people who post on Slashdot that picking up women is easy, are virgins.

Please make a note of it.

more than 3 years ago
top

Court Case To Test Legality of Recording the Police With Your Cell Phone

FauxPasIII Re:Police have no expectation of privacy (384 comments)

> What I don't understand is why they wouldn't want as much independent coverage of the incident / whatever as possible.

Because they want to have the option to lie about it, obviously.

more than 3 years ago
top

Final Attempts To Contact Mars Spirit Rover Fail

FauxPasIII Re:On the upside (95 comments)

You assume it hasn't become self-aware and buggered off, Wall-E style.

more than 3 years ago
top

Gliese 581d Confirmed as 'Habitable' Exoplanet

FauxPasIII Re:Can You Say - Perpetual Arms Race? (451 comments)

-nod- I realize this is an expression of the spam problem, and therefore the "Your plan won't work for the following reasons" form letter applies. However, without the financial incentive to get their shit through, plus the fact that every target potentially has a different set of filters (as opposed to say, Gmail, where if you can get something through it goes through for everyone) we might not be in worst-case territory here.

At any rate, the least you could say is that it *would* be an arms race, whereas now the non-trolls are completely unarmed.

more than 3 years ago
top

Gliese 581d Confirmed as 'Habitable' Exoplanet

FauxPasIII Re:We've sent them a message already... (451 comments)

Suggestion to Slashdot devs... give us regex-based comment filtering. I'm fairly sure any post matching /nigger/ or /GNAA/ or /\ ps0t\ / will never have any further contents I care to miss.

more than 3 years ago

Submissions

FauxPasIII hasn't submitted any stories.

Journals

FauxPasIII has no journal entries.

Slashdot Account

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Don't worry, we never post anything without your permission.

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>
Create a Slashdot Account

Loading...