Is it finally time to wipe that Windows partition?
I've been running Ubuntu on this laptop for over two years now, maintaining a dual-boot with Windows Vista the entire time. (Vista came preinstalled on this PC.) After the first few weeks of using Ubuntu, it became my preferred OS/desktop environment (No small credit due to the utter sucktacularness of Vista in comparison to... just about anything else, ever.) I've maintained this HD hogging partition for these two years for only one reason - failure to be able to use Photoshop or iTunes in Ubuntu. I far prefer GIMP to Photoshop, because I feel GIMP has a better interface (especially when using multiple desktops, see my previous comments on this issue for more info, if you care), but for an occasional mask or channels effect that GIMP can't handle I have to switch over to Vista + Photoshop to get the work done. iTunes is barely functional, its interface apparently designed by halucinating blind monkeys on crack, but since I have an iPod touch (it was a gift) and an iPod Nano (gift), I don't have any other choice but to use this insane piece of crap to put music on them. Yes I know about WINE and iPod syncing utilities for Linux, but they're not working for me so don't mention it. The issue at hand is, I haven't had a need to use Photoshop in about a year and a half, and I've given up trying to add new songs to either of the iPods. iTunes wants to wipe them and replace all their content with whatever happens to be in my music folder right now which doesn't match with what's on the devices. I moved some shit around on my HD for space, so excuse the shit out of me if I don't want iTunes to erase my iPods for no good reason. (I love my cheap COBY mp3-player - it acts like a USB drive when I plug it into my computer and doesn't care what software I use to throw files onto it. The family loves the iPods, I don't know why.) That's why I haven't even bothered with iTunes for about a year. So, at last, my question is, except for the laborious task of updating Vista every month or so on the very slim chance that I *might* need or want to use it for these two programs (don't mention games. I don't do PC games), I haven't used Windows on this PC for so long, is it finally time to just give up on it and reclaim that 70GB of valuable hard drive space that's basically useless, and wipe it?
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog DVD Cover
Just like every good geek should have, I caught Joss Whedon's Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Once all three acts where available, I transcoded them to DVD for the family to watch it with me, since we're not fans of cramming together in the closet to watch it on the computer screen. The quality of the recording is adequate to tide me over until Joss releases it to DVD and I can buy it. I tried iTunes, but it's not linux-friendly, and even when attempting to sign up on Vista, iTunes refused to accept my card. No error, no explanation, it just wouldn't let me do it. Anyway, I'm storing my backup DVD in a handy slim DVD case, and naturally, I had to mock up a good DVD cover to slip inside it for a label. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's burned this magnificent musical internet-TV miniseries to disc, so I thought I'd share my work:
Original GIMP image (flattened): DrHorribleDVDcover1.xcf
JPEG version if you can't handle the GIMP: DrHorribleDVDcover.jpg
300 dpi images, 10.5x7.25 inches print size, perfect for your snazzy photo printer, not so great on your crappy cheap ink jet, but it should tide you over until you can buy the real thing. And you will buy the real thing won't you? Only a real rat bastard would snatch a copy of Joss' hard work and not bother paying him and his crew for it. You know they deserve it, so pay up.
All images were either found on the web or screencaps from the show. Copyright for all the images belongs to Mutant Enemy (I assume). This project is a fan creation, and is not intended at all to promote inappropriate copying or distribution of Joss' original work. No, I will not share my ISO with you, so don't ask. Just get your legit downloads from iTunes (I'm pretty sure my experience was a fluke) and show proper support and respect for a job well done.
I'll keep these images available until the day the official Dr Horrible DVD is released. Once it's out, there's really no need to have them around anymore.
Chuck Norris Facts
I have one of those mind-numbingly easy jobs that requires nearly no mental effort at all to do. To keep myself sane, I have to keep my mind busy on things other than what I'm actually doing. After perusing the many Chuck Norris Facts online one night, I was annoyed that most of them weren't funny and many of them didn't respect Chuck Norris the Man. I thought the idea of these "facts" was to mock the Chuck Norris Legend, which, apparently, a lot of people are unable to separate from the man himself. I have a pretty deep respect for Chuck, he's a great guy, and has had a pretty damn cool career. I don't really care for any of his movies or his TV show, but that doesn't really matter to me much--It's obvious he had a great time doing it, and he knows how cheesy it is, and that's part of the fun. (Same reason to love Troma.) Anyway, over the course of about a week at work I devised my own list of
Chuck Norris Facts
1. The ongoing pirates vs. ninjas debate is moot because if a pirate and a ninja were to ever actually collide they would fuse into a Chuck Norris that would immediately annihilate all the remaining ninjas and pirates on the planet.
2. Chuck Norris can deliver a kick so fast that the pain will actually travel back in time and make your grandfather say "What the hell hit me?" forty years ago.
3. Scientists have calculated that there should be about 80% more mass in the universe than they're able to account for and have proposed a number of radical theories to resolve the discrepancy such as the existence of dark matter or the influence of parallel universes. The problem was finally solved when Chuck Norris admitted he kicked a hole in the universe and that's where all the missing matter went.
4. The butterfly effect is named after the oft-misquoted observation that Chuck Norris kicking a single butterfly in Asia could cause a whirlwind of pain in North America.
5. NASA's JPL has announced that they've synthesized a Liquefied Chuck Norris Round-House Kick (LCNRHK). While they admit it's not quite as powerful as the real thing, three gallons of LCNRHK would be sufficient to launch the Space Shuttle into orbit.
6. A Chuck Norris kick isn't always fatal. In fact, the Chuck Norris roundhouse kick is the world's leading cause of acute amnesia, which is why you don't remember the time he kicked you in the head.
7. Vultures were once on the verge of extinction and then Chuck Norris was born.
8. Chuck Norris rides a pale horse. But Hell doesn't follow with him; he keeps it in his fist.
9. It was recently discovered in the Dead Sea Scrolls that the real reason Pharoah let the Israelites go was that Moses threatened to unleash the wrath of Chuck Norris.
10. Mysterious cattle mutilations are not caused by aliens, but by Chuck Norris having a midnight snack.
11. Sunspots are formed when Chuck Norris uses the Sun as a punching bag.
12. Galactus doesn't eat planets, Chuck Norris does. Just be glad he's still full from the one that used to be between Jupiter and Mars.
13. In 1987 Mr. T got tired of shaving his head to maintain his mohawk, so he asked Chuck Norris to kick the sides of his head. The hair has never grown back since.
14. Q- How many Chuck Norrises does it take to change a lightbulb? A- Just the threat of one is enough to make it change itself out of fear.
15. Chuck Norris doesn't need to have sex to reproduce. He can simply break himself in half to form two new Chuck Norrises.
This process is known as Chucklear Fission.
16. The Tungusta blast of 1908 happened when a Russian dared Chuck Norris to light one of his farts.
17. Chuck Norris once called Cthulu but Cthulu was too scared to show up.
18. In the movie Alien, no special effects were used to depict the xenomorph. Instead, Ridley Scott just borrowed Chuck Norris' lap dog.
Chuck Norris' other pets include the hellhound that devoured Robert Johnson's soul, two chupacabras, and a yeti.
19. God originally wanted to send the sinners to Chuck Norris, but Jesus told Him that was too cruel, so God created Hell instead.
20. The world really was scheduled to end in the year 2000 as many people believed, but the four horses of the Apocolypse are on Chuck Norris' ranch and the four horsemen are too scared to go get them.
21. Once upon a time there were three bears. Chuck Norris. The End.
22. Chuck Norris was originally cast in the title role in Rocky, but the producers were afraid someone who actually knew how to fight might injure the other actors, so they trained a shaved ape for the part instead.
23. Every cell in Chuck Norris' body is shaped like a fist.
24. Chuck Norris once accidentally frowned at a baby and it cried itself to death, almost making Chuck cry. Ever since then Chuck Norris always smiles at babies.
25. Chuck Norris keeps a black hole in his pocket as a handy place to store all the bodies of his victims.
26. The 1972 Miami Dolphins had a perfect season because someone started a rumor that Chuck Norris was on the team.
27. Chuck Norris once got beat up in a Bruce Lee movie, which just proves how good an actor Chuck is.
28. Chuck Norris dug up the Oak Island treasure with a runcible spoon.
29. Chuck Norris once kicked his own ass just to prove nothing is impossible.
30. To prevent heart disease, Chuck Norris ripped his own heart out of his chest and replaced it with a fist.
31. Chuck Norris donated his still-beating heart to the Make a Wish Foundation. To date, it has saved the lives of seventeen children.
32. Chuck Norris proved transubstantiation is real when he ate a communion wafer and crapped out baby Jesus in a manger, three wise men, Mary, and an angel.
33. In Soviet Russia ass kicks Chuck Norris.
Some of these might be similar to or inspired by other Chuck Norris Facts elsewhere on the web. If there happen to be any that are obvious copies that someone else invented first, go ahead and point it out to me.