×

Announcing: Slashdot Deals - Explore geek apps, games, gadgets and more. (what is this?)

Thank you!

We are sorry to see you leave - Beta is different and we value the time you took to try it out. Before you decide to go, please take a look at some value-adds for Beta and learn more about it. Thank you for reading Slashdot, and for making the site better!

Comments

top

Hot Springs At Yellowstone Changed Their Color Due To Tourist Activity

JackieBrown Re:Public land closures (39 comments)

How about the prison time or fines that comes with not following what is on the signs?

6 hours ago
top

North Korean Internet Is Down

JackieBrown Re:Like little children (270 comments)

You start with this

Why am I reminded of petulant children squabbling over who gets to pat the new puppy?

and then start complaining about not getting jetpacks, flying cars and a holiday trip on the moon all lined up for Christmas

6 hours ago
top

Hot Springs At Yellowstone Changed Their Color Due To Tourist Activity

JackieBrown Re:Public land closures (39 comments)

The responses aren't that heavy handed. They just close things off and the yahoos who want to go off-roading in wilderness get pissed.

Honestly - who do you think this effects? The people going off the trails are not going to stop because there is yet another sign saying not to go off trail a bit sooner.

6 hours ago
top

Hot Springs At Yellowstone Changed Their Color Due To Tourist Activity

JackieBrown Re:Public land closures (39 comments)

Yes - this is very frustrating. I've been to caves that I used to be able to go further in. It's funny when the rangers states that you are in is as far as people have ever been allowed andyou can see the informational signs on the nice trail ahead of him

8 hours ago
top

Skeptics Would Like Media To Stop Calling Science Deniers 'Skeptics'

JackieBrown Re:Established science CANNOT BE QUESTIONED! (678 comments)

It can be questioned, but in this case the costs of giving anything up to the denialists is too great. The fate of the human race is at stake. It's like suspension the constitution during a war.

I believe that is the justification used to imprison the Japanese during WWII and Germans in WW1 and communists during the cold war.

3 days ago
top

Colorado Sued By Neighboring States Over Legal Pot

JackieBrown Re:Arrest increase because they're looking for it? (479 comments)

That is common whenever the laws change when passing an unseen line. They do that in my city during New Years an July 4th since we aren't allowed fireworks in the city. Firework stands are set up right outside city limits and cops right inside city limits.

Only the city and big / influential businesses are allowed to shoot off fireworks in San Antonio.

Same with highways that drop to 15 miles an hour to sustain small towns via tourist tickets

3 days ago
top

Google Proposes To Warn People About Non-SSL Web Sites

JackieBrown Re:Sly (394 comments)

Did you miss that a warning will be displayed that the site "provides no data security". It's not blocking access to your blog or comic strip.

4 days ago
top

Apple Wins iTunes DRM Case

JackieBrown Re:Huh? (191 comments)

You only own a licence to listen to music you purchased on that format and that cd

about a week ago
top

Waze Causing Anger Among LA Residents

JackieBrown Re:No thru traffic (596 comments)

They don't even stop people from using store parking lots as a way around traffic or lights.

It is very frustrating when people cut like this because it takes longer for the people following the rules to make the turn since now they have to wait for the cutters to drive past.

about a week ago
top

DragonFly BSD 4.0 Released

JackieBrown Re:Difference versus FreeBSD? (66 comments)

Also what does the boot process look like?

They switched to systemd. kidding :)

about a month ago
top

Clarificiation on the IP Address Security in Dropbox Case

JackieBrown Re:Technically correct?? (152 comments)

I thought we argued on all the downloading stories that an IP is not an identifier?

about a month ago
top

Google Chrome Will Block All NPAPI Plugins By Default In January

JackieBrown Re:Why Chrome when you can use Chromium? (107 comments)

Google has never provided binaries on their Chromium site and that has always seemed like a very deliberate choice to deter would be users.

To run Chromium (on Windows) you must to dig through third party sites which may or may not have the latest version of Chromium available and may or may not bundle adware garbage installers.

Here you go...
https://download-chromium.apps...

This is the raw build of Chromium for Windows x86, right off the trunk. It may be tremendously buggy.
created by François Beaufort - now maintained by the Chromium team

about a month ago
top

Google Launches Service To Replace Web Ads With Subscriptions

JackieBrown Re:Ads (319 comments)

Their clients are purchasing a service. Not everything is a tangible good

about a month ago
top

Google Launches Service To Replace Web Ads With Subscriptions

JackieBrown Re:Ads (319 comments)

I, in fact, scroll past the google ad results when searching just to stop google from getting the revenue.

about a month ago
top

Customers Creating Fake Amazon Pages To Get Cheap Electronics At Walmart

JackieBrown Re:wont last (287 comments)

If that were the case here, Walmart would not be out any PS4s.

about a month ago
top

As Amazon Grows In Seattle, Pay Equity For Women Declines

JackieBrown Re:Here we go again (496 comments)

Well yeah...

And 98% make less than the other 2%; 68% make less than the other 32%, etc.

That was a meaningless comment.

about a month ago
top

As Amazon Grows In Seattle, Pay Equity For Women Declines

JackieBrown Re: Here we go again (496 comments)

I'm guessing greenwow is that Anonymous Coward that keeps posting those silly Republicans do X because they hate people

about a month ago

Submissions

top

Time Warner customers may lose FOX channels

JackieBrown JackieBrown writes  |  more than 4 years ago

JackieBrown writes "FOX is trying to raise fees for cable companies and is threatening to drop Time Warner if Time Warner does not agree to pay more fees to air FOX's stations.

Come January 1st, we may lose FOX and FX as well as some FOX sports channels.

Time Warner has a site up where you can enter your zipcode to see if this will affect you. http://www.rolloverorgettough.com/

Time Warner is using Hulu as as an example of the value on network TV. I am surprise they use this argument as Hulu seems to devalue Cable TV more than devalue the network itself."

Link to Original Source
top

White House collects user data without notice

JackieBrown JackieBrown writes  |  more than 5 years ago

JackieBrown writes "

The White House is collecting and storing comments and videos placed on its social-networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube without notifying or asking the consent of the site users, a failure that appears to run counter to President Obama's promise of a transparent government and his pledge to protect privacy on the Internet.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/sep/16/obama-wh-collects-web-users-data/"

top

Another forum attacked

JackieBrown JackieBrown writes  |  more than 5 years ago

JackieBrown writes "Today, many of us received emails advertising some website (I won't name it because I don't want to reward them.) The strange part was the spam came came from one of the admins. When visiting the site, the admins announced that the problem was being worked on and were trying to determine if someone just use brute force to crack the password. Apparently there where bigger problems. forums.debian.net now redirects to the Debian mailing list with this message http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2009/04/msg00056.html

This afternoon DSA received reports that forums.debian.net might have been compromised: registered users had been email spammed from the forums software. forums.debian.net has therefore been disabled.

There are many forums out there, but this one has been around for more than five years and was usually considered the closest thing that Debian had for an "official" forum. It was a place frequented by new users and Debian developers alike."

Journals

JackieBrown has no journal entries.

Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?