Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.
Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.
Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!
Are Optional Ads Worth The Trouble?
- They are not an eyesore and blend in as though they were a part of the game world itself.
- They do not add 'bloat' to the game in the form of lag while adverts load or cause extra overhead that impacts performance.
- They do not incorporate any 'tracking' of my habits or behaviours.
- They do not advert stuff I don't want my kid exposed too.
Then: I'm ok with it. Unfortunately (fortunately?), I've never seen anyone succeed at all of the above requirements.
- NCSoft will have complete control over the ads that appear, including making sure they're appropriate for a Teen rated game, fit within the game world, and (I assume) are tasteful.
- The code that's going to swap in the billboards already exists, there just weren't advertisers previously. My understanding is that any lag caused by the new system would be exactly identical the the lag caused by the current billboards.
- From what I've read, it's going to use your IP to differentiate between US and EU ads, but nothing else about the user is even checked by the game.
Lithl hasn't submitted any stories.
Lithl has no journal entries.