Beta
×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Comments

top

Apple Locks iPhone 6/6+ NFC To Apple Pay Only

Mullen Re:Nope they are clever (304 comments)

> You regularly use NFC for payments? You must be some kind of wizard.

I use Google Wallet all the time: Pete's Coffee, 7-11, Whole Foods, Home Depot, Target (I'm pretty sure I used it at a Target last time). With the Target hacking, most of the Payment Terminals are being replaced and support Google Wallet.

yesterday
top

Misogyny, Entitlement, and Nerds

Mullen Stupid Blame Game (1198 comments)

Why is Elliot Rodger being put into the Nerd category? I have not seen anything on this guy that would put him in the Geek or Nerd category. What languages did he code in? What con's did he attend? What was his comic book/manga collection like? What technical degree's did he hold? This discussion has nothing to do with "misogyny entitlement nerds" but a genuine crazy kid.

Just because some guy is a Asperger social reject does not put him into the category of nerd or geek. Elliot has major issues and he blamed women and people who had social skills for his troubles. He was an entitled little shit who thought having a BMW, traveling the world and wearing $500 sweaters would automatically get him the girls. It turns out he lacked the one major component in the Get The Girl Formula that you really need, a personality. He found an outlet in Men's Rights/The Red Pill/Misogyny but he could have found an outlet in any of the other shitty beliefs that exist in our society like 9/11 conspiracies, Little Green Men and the Black President is from Kenya. Blaming a sub collection of a sub portion of our culture is not going to find the answer to the complex problem of what to do with truly mentally ill people.

about 4 months ago
top

Could High Bay-Area Prices Make Sacramento the Next Big Startup Hub?

Mullen Re:California is dead, TEXAS is where it's at... (190 comments)

> Look, I am not a Texas cheer-leader or anything, but I will say, at least we have jobs, and a much lower unemployment rate than the average. All of my kids are in private schools, because of the education thing... still our cost of living is significantly lower, and our lifestyle significantly higher than when we lived in California.

I would be willing to bet that high property taxes, huge electric bills and funding private education for your kids (Depends on how many you have), that your Total Taxes + School Fees + Electric Bills are not any lower than my California Taxes and Property Taxes. I don't need private education or have $500 electric bills.

Plus, Rick Perry.

about 4 months ago
top

California City Considers Restarting Desalination Plant To Fight Drought

Mullen Re:California = 1D10T Errors (420 comments)

> Rather, it is all about killing agriculture in the southwest to free up more water for California urbanites.

Agriculture uses about 70%, with industry using 20% and urban populations using 10% of the water. Agriculture, you know, that stuff you eat from those greedy bastards in California.

> Nevada rancher stand off...

Bullshit. It's about some welfare rancher not paying his grazing fee's. Pure and simple. He has no intellectual or legal argument, so he is whipping up the dummies over on Fox News to call out the Tea Party morons to protest his desire to rip off the Tax Payers.

about 4 months ago
top

For the First Time Ever, the FAA Is Trying To Fine a Drone Hobbyist

Mullen Re:Pretty big differencfe (297 comments)

Technically, the sky does cross state lines.

about 5 months ago
top

Google Using Self-Driving Car Data To Make Cars Smarter

Mullen Forget Cars! (174 comments)

People talk about cars as the next big thing, but in reality, it's trucks. Google 18 wheeler will be able to get on the highway and travel across the country in a couple of days. The big transit points and warehouses are already next to the freeway, just load up Google 18 wheeler, have it take off and two turns later it is on the highway trucking across the country. Just need to make gas stations with attendants that will fill up the trucks gas tanks and check the tires.

about 5 months ago
top

How the FCC Plans To Save the Internet By Destroying It

Mullen Re: Congressional fix? (217 comments)

Well, the USA does not. To get a heart you need to go before a panel to decide if you are "worthy" and you will survive. If you will not survive or you are not going to take care of yourself, you will not get that heart. I'm pretty sure that the "insurance will pay for a heart transplant while you are laying in bed with inoperable brain cancer which is expected to kill you within 2 months" is Right Wing propaganda bullshit.

about 5 months ago
top

Tech People Making $100k a Year On the Rise, Again

Mullen Re:Austin, great but not my kind of town... (193 comments)

What they are doing is using "code words" for what they don't want around them. They don't want it to be diverse; White's Only. They don't want ANY Gay people around. They don't want any "Femanazi's" around (*Gasp* asking for equal pay for equal work is like cutting off my penis!!!!!). They want Bible to be the main focus of education in their schools.

Don't be fooled with the polite code words, they want to go back to 1950's.

about 5 months ago
top

Intuit, Maker of Turbotax, Lobbies Against Simplified Tax Filings

Mullen Re:Lobbying aside (423 comments)

It would not be hard to make it clear to people how much "The Man" is taking.

For example, this is what the IRS might send you:

You make: $X
Your deductions: $Y
Your Tax: $Z
Percentage Paid: %R

For the vast majority of the people in the US, the IRS knows everything it needs to know about you to do your taxes. There is no reason why a voluntary system like this would not work.

about 5 months ago
top

Kickstarted Veronica Mars Promised Digital Download; Pirate Bay Delivers

Mullen Re:How to Falsify Evolution (243 comments)

> Same with evolution. Point out a fossil that doesn't fit, and win a prize. except you can't, so you don't.

I always say to people that don't believe in Evolution that if they can collect the data, then make it reproducible and can write a good paper explaining it all, then they can win a Noble Prize and completely and utterly change a major branch of science. Their name will go down in history one of greatest minds ever in the entire length of mankind.

For some reason, none of these people ever take me up on my offer.

about 6 months ago
top

Creationism In Texas Public Schools

Mullen Re:Why should YOU care that TX education is fucked (770 comments)

It does. Everyone who spews the bullshit, "Texas buys the most text books and thus controls the market" is just wrong. The textbook market it broken into two markets that can be described as California and Texas. The reason you don't hear about California is that were are not Bible thumping morons and Science rules our Science Classes and Religion is rules the Religion Classes. Same thing with our Sex Ed. You don't hear about the controversy about California Sex Education, because there is none. We teach real sex in our sex ed. classes.

about 8 months ago
top

Overstock.com Plans To Accept Bitcoin

Mullen Re: Guesses as to end effect? (202 comments)

Then why would you comment on something you clearly stated you dont know anything about? I dont know any thing about brain surgery, so I dont give advise about brain surgery. Just kinda makes sense.

about 9 months ago
top

EV Owner Arrested Over 5 Cents Worth of Electricity From School's Outlet

Mullen Re:Theft (1010 comments)

Here on Earth and not Planet Black and White, there is thing called, "correct response to a problem". Here on Earth, we handout measured punishments based on the actually crime committed and the damage done to the victim. The offender in this case stole 5 cents of electricity. Which, while technically is a crime, is not a large one and not one worth the time of a police officer. If, for some reason, it did come to the attention of a police officer, they should have issued a warning since that may have all that is needed. Having a state employee deal with this is a net loss to society and its people since the officer could be doing other things like chase murders and rapists.

about 9 months ago
top

Getting Evolution In Science Textbooks For Texas Schools

Mullen Re:Double standards... (710 comments)

Whoa there Mullen.. Rein in the horse a bit.

I get so annoyed with you people because you are corrupting the discussion of science and for what, so you can push your personal religious views ahead of science? Your suppression of science causes great harm to this country and to the human species, in general

I have posted a brief outline of the evidence in other posts today, I'm loathed to do it again.

Because you have none.

So where you want to think there is nothing out there, there *is* evidence. I don't suppose it will be enough for you, but never the less it is there. Let me give you a thumbnail sketch of part of it. Life is complex in its higher forms, yet is simple enough to continue to procreate. There are many forms of life, yet they all break down into standard building blocks that imply design. The universe is winding down like an old watch and will eventually run out of entropy, yet here we are.

This means nothing! Just creationist jibber jabber that says nothing and falls into the realm of unobservable, unprovable and untestable. You have stated nothing here which can be proven. You can't say, "It's complex, and yet it reproduces, so that implies there is a creator". Why must complex things have a creator? Why can't over the eons on time these things work themselves out? Yes, they are complex, but over long periods of time and trillions and trillions and trillions of different attempts and combinations, why can't they work themselves out (I know, a overly simple explanation of the process. I know I am using super dumbed down explanation for the forming of life)? Why is that so hard to understand?
And why does the Universe winding down have anything to do with this? Yes, the Universe may some day turn into a realm of space where everything is evenly spaced out and has the same energy, but that may occur BILLIONS years from now. Plenty of time for life to rise and fall and rise again, and fall many many many times.

Again, I'm not claiming proof, only evidence. Evidence that has convinced many throughout the ages. You would assert the negative. That there is no creator, so I believe that the burden of proof does not fall to me but to you. How can you be sure? How do you prove the negative? I don't think you can logically, so I contend that logically you have to accept that a creator might be possible, like it or not.

Have a good holiday.. I'm done here.

Again, you don't get it. You have stated there is a creator. I say, "okay, show your proof", then you give me gibber jabber. I don't have to disprove anything, I can just sit here with thousands of other scientists (or wanna be scientists) and examine your evidence. When you gather enough evidence that passes muster, we will accept the theory of a creator and you will collect your Noble Prize. Your name will be spoken throughout the ages and I will be a fool.

Until then, stop ruining this country by dumbing down our kids with your non-sense.

about 10 months ago
top

Getting Evolution In Science Textbooks For Texas Schools

Mullen Re:Double standards... (710 comments)

Why is it so crossways with your thinking to believe in a creator?

Then fucking show your evidence! You have not one little drop of evidence at all. Nothing! You can put out all the assumptions, guesses and straw man arguments you want but in the end, you have ZERO proof of any creator of any kind. You can say, well it all goes back to Big Bang and he created that, but you have ZERO evidence. There is a lot of evidence for the Big Bang, but none for what was before it or what created it. And, if you say, "well, prove me wrong", then you have already lost the debate because when you state a theory or fact, you have to provide it with evidence.

about 10 months ago
top

Getting Evolution In Science Textbooks For Texas Schools

Mullen Re:Science isn't critical thinking... (710 comments)

Well since we're using poor metaphors, winning the lottery would be like winning a coin toss about 25 times in a row.

More like a thousand times and then getting struck by lighting right afterward.

about 10 months ago
top

Getting Evolution In Science Textbooks For Texas Schools

Mullen Re:Science isn't critical thinking... (710 comments)

There is evidence for the existence of a creator, despite what you likely think.

Well then, show it!

about 10 months ago
top

Getting Evolution In Science Textbooks For Texas Schools

Mullen Re:I'm Okay With This (710 comments)

What kills me about creationists is they might acknowledge microevolution but not macroevolution. How do you have micro and never macroevolution? With enough microevolution, you have to have macroevolution.

about 10 months ago
top

Getting Evolution In Science Textbooks For Texas Schools

Mullen Re:Creationism = religion, not science. At all. (710 comments)

Creationism is not religion, even if its proponents are sometimes religious. Creationism is system of scientific thought that presupposes a specific world view that can not be proven or disproved. You have no way to know that there was no creator, you just start with that assumption. Creationists start with an alternate assumption and arrive at different conclusions on some points.

This paragraph is complete Creationist fail. If you have any "presupposes" in science then it is not science. Also, you never disprove anything with science, if you make the claim, YOU have to prove it. You do not make a claim in science and then tell other people to disprove your idea. If you can not put the data and evidence forward, then you are automatically wrong. If you claim there is a creator, prove it, it is not my responsibility to prove it, it is yours.

Your claim that it is teaching religion to teach creationism is a lie. Unless you are willing to stipulate that teaching evolution is tantamount to teaching atheism and thus is teaching religion too. I'm going to bet you won't stipulate that point.

So, do we teach both or do we just teach your religious view?

Just because some refutes your side of the argument does make the other person a subscriber of the opposite of the religion that you are pushing. You are pushing a religious philosophy into an area of science, which is the wrong thing to do. This does make science the realm of Satan and Atheist, it just means you have been called out for pushing your religion into a place it does not belong.

about 10 months ago
top

Head of Silk Road 2.0 Says It Will Be Back In Minutes If Shut Down

Mullen Re:Amazon AWS (222 comments)

(I wish Amazon hadn't called it AWS. It's not recognizable enough without spelling out Amazon, and you end up effectively writing Amazon Amazon Web Services or people don't know what you're talking about.)

I always call it EC2, and more or less, everyone in the computing business knows what that is.

about 10 months ago

Submissions

Mullen hasn't submitted any stories.

Journals

Mullen has no journal entries.

Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>