Beta
×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Comments

top

VMware May Violate Linux Copyrights

Nailer Re:VMkernel is a kernel... (443 comments)

Apparently the argument goes as follows:

>> 1) A Linux kernel is used to boot the VMWare kernel.
Yes, through a binary blob loaded by a driver, that does not run on any kernel other than Linux.

>> 2) This makes the VMWare kernel a "derived work."
According to Linux logic, and Christoph Hellwig, yes.

>> 3) The Linux kernel source used to boot the VMWare kernel is not available.
Er no. You made that up. The article doesn't say that anywhere.

The issue is that the source for vmkernel is not available.

>> 4) Therefore we can't tell if the VMWare kernel is a "derived work" or not.
Er no. You made that up too. The article doesn't say that anywhere.

The vmkernel would be considered derived unless it has been ported from another Operating System (proving it does no requite Linux to function). VMware could prove this without giving away the code.

>> 5) And if the Linux kernel source for the kernel used to boot the VMWare kernel is not available, it's a violation of the GPL on its own.
Er no. You made that up again. The article doesn't say that anywhere.

The source for the Linux kernel used to start VMware is available from the VMware website. The source for vmkernel is not.

If you need to lie to prove your point, you clearly don't have one.

about 7 years ago

Submissions

top

HP 2133 Mini-Note broken by own updates

Nailer Nailer writes  |  more than 5 years ago

Nailer (69468) writes "It turns out HP's 2133 Mini-Note isn't quite as good as originally thought.

Like most modern OSs, Novell's SLED prompts users to install it's most recent updates. Open the 2133 and Novell's Zenworks updater will ask you to install SLED 10 SP2, which contains a number of important bits including 'cumulative security patches, maintenance updates, and bug fixes', and essential 3G networking support for NetworkManager.

One problem, however: the update is breaking the 2133 for everyone. Over and over again."

Link to Original Source
top

Wireless iPhone sync with Amarok in 10 minutes

Nailer Nailer writes  |  more than 6 years ago

Nailer writes "The following guide allows you to wirelessy sync an iPhone with Amarok in Ubuntu 7.10, including adding, editing and playing songs and playlists. It takes less than 10 minutes, and is almost completely graphical, with only 3 Terminal commands for initial set up."
Link to Original Source
top

Kernel devs say VMware violates Linux copyrights

Nailer Nailer writes  |  about 7 years ago

Nailer (69468) writes "Bloomberg believe VMware's IPO today may the largest technology offering since Google. But doubts have been cast over the company's supposedly proprietary ESX product, as top 10 Linux contributor Christopher Hellwig claims the software violates Linux kernel copyrights."
Link to Original Source
top

How the iPhone will Change the Mobile Industry

Nailer Nailer writes  |  more than 7 years ago

Nailer (69468) writes "The initial release of the iPod wasn't great. But its long-term effect were huge: a massive 10% (and rapidly growing) chunk of music is now sold digitally to the iPod and its competitors. So what will the iPhone's long-term effect on the cell phone industry be? VentureCake looks at why a 2G device will stir 3G adoption, the effects for Mobile Content providers, iPod clane manufacturers, Flash developers, Opera, Microsoft and Blackberry."
Link to Original Source

Journals

Nailer has no journal entries.

Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>