Favorite "Go!" Phrase?
Here's a list of favorites:
Aji, Atari, Eyes, Gote, Hane, Joseki, Seki, Sente, Tesuji, Yose
Ask Slashdot: What's a Good Tool To Detect Corrupted Files?
I'd recommend running a base OS and then run something like VMware workstation so that you run other OSes inside the main OS. One huge benefit is that you can have access to multiple OSes at the same time and you don't need to reboot into them either. With hypervisor technology getting common on desktop, there probably isn't any need to multi-boot unless you have a specific reason not to use virtualization.
Ask Slashdot: Recommendations For Linux Telecommuting Tools?
You have a few options:
1) Keep your work computer at work to run windows and set it up as a ssh server, then use vnc type of program to remotely ssh back to your computer from home. This is probably one of the simplest way as long as your company network team allows you to do this. This is fairly easy to setup.
2) Run windows at home inside a VM machine as others have suggested. This is much more involved as option #1 since you will have to set up everything from scratch AND you have to install all programs that was needed at work. Probably not very doable.
3) If your company has a VDI environment set up, then you can actually use something like Citrix receiver to directly login to your windows computer at work, which will work better than option #1. But this option is only restricted to those company that already has VDI so probably not applicable to that many people. (The company that I work for does this and I login to windows directly in Ubuntu, works great).
4) If all 3 above options do not apply, then consider just get a laptop from work (most people already get work laptop) and setup a VPN client so you can work from work (again check with network team but most company allows this type of setup), and if you still want Linux you can always use a KVM program like Synergy so you can run windows and Ubuntu side-by-side.
17-Year-Old Wins Intel's $100K Science Prize
I hope he is better socially now as a 17 years old but somehow I doubted it ... home-schooled is most likely one of the reason?
Drop Out and Innovate, Urges VC Peter Thiel
School is really over-rated for those of us who can self-learn, if we wanted an education we can easily have that from a library or google. So then the only purpose of school is for social aspects; and the fact that going to school usually helps you land a job somewhere. But if you have a solid business idea and the required funding, I don't see any value in delaying your business. In fact, great harm as business is about timing, whereas school will always be there.
Intel's Sandy Bridge Processor Has a Kill Switch
And where is the backdoor, via 3G no less.
p.s. Anti-theft should be available at the OS level, not at the CPU level.
PayPal Demos Auto-Debit Gumball Machine
I think Japan is the among one of the first to widely adopt to this:
Sciencey Heroes For Young Children?
While he may not be the perfect role model for your 8 years old, he definitely top the list of (tragic) heroes.
- Accomplished something REALLY young (invented group theory, introduced the concept of finite field).
- Political Activist / Revolutionary.
- Fought in a duel (and died).
When you think about Galois' life, it definitely does not fit into the mold of a mathematician at all. There is not even one mathematician who lived remotely similar to him in human history that I know of.
Iris Scanning Set To Secure City In Mexico
Does anyone else find the company name "Global Rainmakers" rather (ironically) fitting? It is as if even the heaven itself is crying. Big brother will definitely come, it is only a matter of time now.
Does the Internet Make Humanity Smarter Or Dumber?
While as a whole it is making access to information much more readily available, it still doesn't alter our brain hardware makeup. Until we start to do that, one can argue that we are still no more "smarter" than our ancestors.
Large Irish ISP To Enact "Three Strikes" Rule For Copyright Violation
I think other ISPs who doesn't support the action of this ISP should stop peering with this ISP to show that this type of behavior is not acceptable.
AMD Undercuts Intel With Six-Core Phenom IIs
That's true, how much computing power does an average, non-gaming, non-power user need? Even if you throw in multi-media, including voip and video, I doubt your average user will be able to use all that computing power (also the later depends more on the GPU, which will become more and more important in the future). I suppose with the cost of cpu power getting lower and lower, it may not matter as much and we will see more hardware comes with some sort of computer (e.g. your entire house).
Recently, I built a new system based on the core7 i930, reasoning being there is simply no AMD cpu that can match its performance, and I do consider myself a power user when I am using it for emulating Cisco CCIE labs and probably be running several VM instances in the future.
Top 10 Things Hollywood Thinks Computers Can Do
Forget Hollywood ... in Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex, people were hacking into each other brains and stealing people's eyes. I give it 20-30 years (just so no one will remember it then) before we can do that.
One In Eight To Cut Cable and Satellite TV In 2010
For more than 10 years ... ever since I started University.
US Says 4.3 Billion People Live With Bad IP Laws
What about people like me who think the concept of copyright is flawed, and that copyleft should be a law instead. In that viewpoint, it is the USA who is breaking the 'law'.
Also any law in which the majority of the population is willfully breaking is not only useless, but also undemocratic and unjust. It weakens the authority of the legal system as a whole when you have these type of laws in effect.
Should Kids Be Bribed To Do Well In School?
The only reason why we all have work is to get paid to pay the bills... bribing or not that's how society works.
Chinese Users Get Nokia Music Service Sans DRM
Chinese citizens may have less human rights but they have more digital rights. And leave piracy for real pirates! GRRRRRRRRRRR
Toyota Acceleration and Embedded System Bugs
Did Toyota forget to convert imperial to metric unit like those Mars Pathfinder?
Aurora Attack — Resistance Is Futile, Pretty Much
Absolutely the same story in India. Sometimes I wonder if _any_ place outside of the US really gets it. Anecdotally, even Europe seems similarly third world-ish. This is also the reason I think predictions of the US being eclipsed anytime this century are hogwash.
Yea US gets it ... that's where it is at, 14 trillion dollars in debt, quantitative easing (aka printing money) to the rescue!
RIAA Insists On 3rd Trial In Thomas Case
At the end of the day, if the law defined and applied stopped making sense to the majority of the population, then it must eventually be changed to reflect the will of the people. Because ultimately, laws are MADE by people, and as such, they should follow the majority.
None of this pedantic really matters in the BIG picture ...
Sepiraph has no journal entries.