US Bans Loud Commercials
My guess is that regular content will end up being compressed and amplified to compensate (say goodbye to dynamic range in movies) so that normal content and commercials are all at the same, as-loud-as-possible-without-clipping volume. After all, that would be the easiest approach for television station operators.
The Science of Humor
According to Google, the translation is:
If nunstück is git and slotemeyer? Yes! Beiherhund or the gersput flipperwaldt!
File Organization — How Do You Do It In 2011?
Here is my highly effective file organization methodology:
- I keep multimedia (audio, video, porn) files scattered around 37 or so different folders, each with several subfolders. The majority of these folders have 'temp' or 'download' in their names, except for porn files and folders which consist solely of simple combinations of letters and numbers, such as zzz/tt2.mpg, abc/xyz10.mpg, etc.
- Programming projects (some for work, some for hobby, none of which are finished or ever will be) get split up among folders whose names convey increasing seriousness. For example, first there was simply 'Projects', then along came 'New Projects', which begat 'Really New Projects' and eventually 'Even More New Projects'.
- Helper files (planning, documentation, spreadsheets, etc.) for each such project have strange filenames relating to whatever thoughts were racing through my mind at the time they were named.
- Then, all you have to do is remember where and what everything is.
And that's pretty much all there is to it. This system hasn't failed me yet. Plus, it will stimulate the economy in approximately 0 to 60 years, because the investigator who has the pleasure of snooping through my computers after I croak will have job security for years.
Canadian Firm Plans 78-Satellite Net Service
Think of how many pigeons you can buy for $9 Billion.
Think of the "packet drops" from $9 billion worth of pigeons.
I pity the guy whose job it would be to wade through all of those "hex dumps".
Why Teach Programming With BASIC?
Sounds to me like he should only be allowed to teach eunuchs.
Need a Friend? Rent One Online
Beer helps with that too.
NASA Says Moon Has More Water Than Great Lakes
What I want to know is: if you flooded the moon with as many great lakes as there are books in the LoC, to what depth would the flood waters rise?
You seem to be off by a factor of 6.
Mars500 Mission Begins
Supervised conjugal visits.
Earthlink Announces It Must Honor Comcast Cap
To offer some perspective, here in the UK we have monthly limits that are most commonly in the 15-30Gb range, with a premium limit of 50Gb being offered by a minority of service providers.
Yeah, but your guys' internet isn't nearly as big as ours.
Bill Gates's The Road Ahead, 15 Years Later
It looks like you're writing a letter. Would you like help?
- Get help with writing the letter
- Just type the letter without help
[ ] Don't show me this tip again
Chrome Private Mode Not Quite Private
Is there any way to stop Chrome sending the info of the URLs you type into the address bar back to google, yet?
Yes - use SRWare Iron. It's a fork of Chrome, without all the phone-home stuff.
ACLU Sues To Protect Your Right To Swear
"You can say 'I pricked my finger', just don't say you fingered your prick." - also from the late, great, and sorely missed George Carlin
LimeWire Likely To Shut Down Soon
I prefer LemonWire myself. Although PlumWire has some nice features, and CherryWire isn't too bad either.
But whatever you do, stay away from KumquatWire!
Purple Pokeberries Yield Cheap Solar Power
An upcoming Ask Yahoo question:
Someone poked my berries and they have now turned purple, should I be worried????
UK ISP Spots a File-Sharing Loophole, Implements It
Could it be because this ISP charges for bandwidth (and quite heavily during the day) and are more expensive than other providers that supply truly unlimited tariffs?
Cleaner Air Could Speed Global Warming
...whereas I would rather stave off global warming, so if anyone needs me, I'll be outside emptying cans of hair spray, bug poison, and cooking oil into the atmosphere.