Yes, You Too Can Be an Evil Network Overlord With OpenBSD
welcome our new evil OpenBSD network overlords.
Gut Bacteria Affect the Brain
When she told me that donuts would make me stupid.
Non-Coders As the Face of the Learn-to-Code Movements
Has never stopped him from being an opinionated (if misinformed) spokesman on subject. Google "Linus Torvalds" and "usability" for examples. So yes, I would expect Linus Torvalds to be a spokesman for NCAA basketball, basing his opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of the competing teams CS departments.
At my current workplace, I've outlasted ...
You insensitive clod. It means something completely different for us giggolos as well.
Linus Torvalds Gives 'Thumbs Up' To Nvidia For Nouveau Contributions
Is upward thumbs is the equivalent of a middle finger?
The Moderately Enthusiastic Programmer
Golden showers are the new free laundry service.
Tesla's Having Issues Charging In the Cold
I am reminded why most lifeforms has been storing energy chemically, as opposed to electrically, for billions of years.
FSF's Richard Stallman Calls LLVM a 'Terrible Setback'
I was expecting Richard Stallman to type a statement from his new Macbook Pro saying: "Rock on! I have Balls The Clang, and if I LLVM was a woman and I knew how to have sex with her she would so have my baby."
Facebook Is a Plague That'll Burn Out In a Few Years, Says Study
I'm glad to hear that vanity, gossip, and pursuit of social status are fads that will eventually go away like skinny jeans.
Ask Slashdot: How To Reimagine a Library?
Then worry about technology.
Python Scripting and Analyzing Your Way To Love
They always start out with an super-long, totally unreasonable requirements list that includes stuff that's totally irrelevant to any imaginable scope. Through hard work and negotiation and development of what you initially bring to the table, you need to bring down the client's impossible functional specification to something workable she can reasonably be satisfied with (also beer helps). It's called "game" for a reason.
BitTorrent's Bram Cohen Unveils New Steganography Tool DissidentX
"Baron Cohen Unveils New Steganography Tool DissidentX"
Carbon Nanotubes and Spongy Polymer Help Transistors Stretch
Flexible transistors would actually be quite useful in the burgeoning wearable electronics industry. A molex under tight-fitting spandex might be mistaken for some strange growth, a nipple, or general happiness at seeing you.
Is the new staying at Holiday Inn Express.
4K Is For Programmers
When you have enough resolution to zoom in and accurately reconstruct Kim Kardashian's retina and fingerprints.
"Clinical Trials" For Programming Languages?
You'll have trouble getting a consensus as to an agreed-upon operational definition of "Productivity".
Augmented-Reality Contact Lens Prototype Coming To CES
Vernor Vinge wrote an entertaining book based around this technology.
Do Non-Technical Managers Add Value?
- To be good in sales, you have to be able to lie to yourself about the quality of a product, because the customer will not be able to believe it's a good product unless you believe it's a good product.
- To be good in sales, you have to be able to convince yourself that a customer has a need for something that they in actuality have no need for.
- To be good in sales, you have to have the belief that "the product is awesome because I am awesome."
- To be good in sales, you have to do anything you can to get a sale
- A good sales person can sell sand to arabs and ice to eskimos.
- To be a good product manager, you cannot lie to yourself that a product is superior.
- To be a good product manager, you have to design a product that people will really want and really need.
- To be a good product manager, you have to be able to say "I am only decent if the product is decent".
- To be a good product manager, you have to have to be willing to push back against a change that will harm the long-term usability or usefulness of a product for everyone else at the cost of getting a short term sale for one specific customer.
- To be a good product manager, you have to make sure your company won't be selling sand to arabs or ice to eskimos, but rather selling ice to arabs to cool their drinks and sand to eskimos to give their cars traction.
With the rare exception of someone like Steve Jobs who's good at both roles, promoting an outstanding salesperson to do product management is like hiring a convicted arsonist to run your fire department. .