Ask Slashdot: When Is a Better Career Opportunity Worth a Pay Cut?
You have to evaluate what that means for you -
1. How long will you be at the lower pay level? What is their evaluation process?
2. Do you believe in the companies product?
3. Will they require more time from you, and are you willing to put in that time, for less pay? Think about it as less time for everything else in your life.
4. Will this experience truly be better for you in X years?
5. What happens if the Company with the "Better Career Opportunity" runs into financial difficulties? I assume they are less stable, how do you handle situations without a sure footing?
Broadcasters Petition US Supreme Court In Fight Against Aereo
If you weren't suing them, I may not have heard of their service. Now that I'm aware of it, I will most likely sign up once they are in my area.
IT Positions Some of the Toughest Jobs To Fill In US
7. Outsource lower level tech jobs to India, but expect people in the US to somehow magically acquire the the experience without having the aforementioned job.
Confidentiality Expires For 1940 Census Records
"Get all 18TB of it while it's hot."
You know we only accept quantification by the LOC Standard.
Cell Phone Jamming Devices Enjoy an Increase In Popularity
I understand to motive is self-righteous vigilantism and not logic, but lets give it a go. Person A is annoying by talking on their phone. Person B does not like it, so therefore they decide that all people within X radius of them are screwed if they happen to be using a wireless or Wi-Fi device. Perhaps I would rather ignore Person A and use my wireless/Wi-Fi device for something important, but hey Person B could care less. So, Person A is wrapped up in their issue and could care less about how it affects other people, Person B is wrapped up in their issue and could care less about how it affects other people. How is Person B any different from Person A (sans the loud mouth)?
Net Companies Consider the "Nuclear Option" To Combat SOPA
Before a law passes that would declare it terrorism! Unless they pass a law retroactively declaring discussing the option a terroristic threat, which I wouldn't put past the lawmakers... Uh oh, I should shut up, I'm giving them ideas.
China Telecom Mulls Entry Into US Telecoms Market
Am I the only one that T-mobile came to mind? I mean if AT&T can't make a deal with them, I'm sure China Telecom would have the $.
Sony Should Pay For OtherOS Removal, Says Finnish Board
Sony should pay up 100 euros to a console owner
In the US they would either pay the federal entity directly, or be required to provide a $10 voucher to but another Sony product. If it was a class action suit, the customers would get no more than $2 a piece, because the lawyers had to get paid. That's the US for you though, suing culture, but only the lawyers get paid.
Fukushima Radioactive Fallout Nears Chernobyl Levels
So, the daily average of releases of iodine-131 and cesium-137 are, according to certain measurements, comparable to Chernobyl. They base this on a 10 day total from Chernobyl. Basic Questions:
1. What 10 days did they pull the average from for Chernobyl and what day or days are they pulling from for Fukushima?
2. What are the totals over the entirety of each disaster (or at least the current estimated total at Fukushima vs Chernobyl)?
3. What other radioactive materials were released in Chernobyl and how do they compare to Fukushima?
4. How did the evacuation and response measures compare?
5. How do the long term containment and clean up processes compare?
6. How do the human exposure variables compare?
In the end though, even evaluating these two data points, they fail to indicate the overall meaning and affect of these values (ie: How does this apply to human health?).
UK Minister Backs 'Two-Speed' Internet
Google and the BBC already pay for the "pipes" they use, and end users pay for the "pipes" they use, where is someone not getting paid in this?
2010 Election Results Are In
Same as the old boss. Tea Parties, Rallies, HAH!
Supreme Court Throws Out Bilski Patent
After reading the 5-16, I went on to read Justice Steven's Option, which makes a lot more sense. Imagine that, he tries to be consistent with the constitution, and history!
British Man Becomes the First To Swim Under Mt. Everest
If that is what is meant by under, I work more than 20 feet under my basement all day, and drive under my basement on average more than once a day.
Is That "Sexting" Pic Illegal? A Scientific Test
"A naive solution, from a scientific point of view, would be to poll a random sample of lawyers or other professionals in a police go-to database, and ask them to evaluate whether the picture is child pornography, without any information about where the picture came from."
So, in essence you would be purposefully distributing child porn to a random sample of people. That would solve the problem!
Circuit City Closes Its Doors For Good
The main mistake Circuit City made IMHO was that their prices were always higher than their primary competitors (Best Buy, CompUSA, etc.).
Circuit City more expensive than Best Buy? It has not been like that in the last 10+ years, at least not in my area. I wouldn't be overly concerned, but now Best Buy is the only shop within at least 60 miles. Guess I have to go exclusively web.
88% of IT Admins Would Steal Passwords If Laid Off
100% of douchebag security companies will manipulate data to sell you something!
Usefull Idiot hasn't submitted any stories.
Usefull Idiot has no journal entries.