×

Announcing: Slashdot Deals - Explore geek apps, games, gadgets and more. (what is this?)

Thank you!

We are sorry to see you leave - Beta is different and we value the time you took to try it out. Before you decide to go, please take a look at some value-adds for Beta and learn more about it. Thank you for reading Slashdot, and for making the site better!

Comments

top

OKCupid Warns Off Mozilla Firefox Users Over Gay Rights

Xenographic Re:Terrible precedent (1482 comments)

You're part of an angry mob. I can almost hear the "rabble rabble rabble." Hate is ugly man and trying to pick some random person to vent your frustrations on is not cool. The Obama example is just to point out that your selection of targets is arbitrary.

I get that you're mad, but it makes you really ugly inside. Tolerance is live and let live. What you spout is just another kind of hate. I know your justification, I hear it all the time, but ever notice that all the people saying it are haters? Are you just another hater? Hate everyone for not agreeing with you so you can feel superior? Another guy in the mob too scared to think for yourself?

Because that's what I'm seeing and I'd really like to see that change.

about 9 months ago
top

OKCupid Warns Off Mozilla Firefox Users Over Gay Rights

Xenographic Re:Terrible precedent (1482 comments)

> And then for no damn reason at all, you bring Obama into it.

Has everyone forgotten 2008 already? I'll just leave this here.

about 9 months ago
top

Nuclear Emergency Declared At 2 Plants In Japan

Xenographic Re:So much for the safety of nuclear energy (752 comments)

If you really want to know, here's the press releases from TEPCO which runs the plants. It's far more informative and far less alarmist than most of the reports going around. Yes, they are evacuating. Yes, there has been some unknown level of radiation leakage, but we don't know how bad it is just yet.

Those who want to review how the safety mechanisms of a BWR work should read this.

more than 3 years ago
top

Sony Marketing Man Tweets PS3 Master Key

Xenographic You're not kidding... (351 comments)

No kidding. They even plan to subpoena Slashdot (not to mention Twitter). I don't know what they'll get out of that except for a lot of "in soviet Russia" jokes, but I guess their lawyers like wasting their client's billable hours on fishing expeditions?

I suggest they try Googling that key. I don't know how many results they'll find, but I'm guessing there will be thousands, if not more. It's kind of futile to tell the judge that you need expedited discovery and such when the cat is not merely out of the bag, but halfway across the galaxy, isn't it? But hey, I guess you guys might see it differently. You could go send a million nastygrams to everyone who reads the news and rack up $200/hr. Fact is, I just hate Sony. I don't have a PS3 because I've been boycotting Sony since the time they infected people with that rootkit, so this hexadecimal number you're trying to censor is utterly worthless to me. I can't very well circumvent the protections on a device I'll never own, now, can I?

more than 3 years ago
top

IRS Nails CPA For Copying Steve Jobs, Google Execs

Xenographic S-Corp != C-Corp (509 comments)

Google & Apple are C-Corps, which don't allow this tax loophole at all, so Steve Jobs can't save any money by pulling this trick. The comparison is not accurate.

He used his S-Corp to reclassify wages as investment income to avoid FICA taxes, paying himself $24,000 per year (i.e. factory worker wages) instead of a reasonable wage for a CPA. You can't do that in a C-Corp, because you'll have to pay the corporate taxes that S-Corps get to avoid.

He would have been fine if he'd paid himself even somewhat reasonable wages, but Google & Apple can't pull this particular trick at all. C-Corps use completely different tax loopholes.

more than 3 years ago
top

Assange Could Face Execution Or Guantanamo Bay

Xenographic Re:Not following the news, are you? (973 comments)

> No, I did-- and assange isnt "this sort of thing", as he wasnt selling nuclear secrets

Also, the spy swap meant that we got something for letting them off the hook. Who, exactly, would Assange get swapped with?

You've never even tried to rebut the fact that it's an offense for which one can be executed, you've merely pointed out that they don't usually seek it.

Don't get me wrong, though. If they have to take it off the table to have him extradited, they will. But not before then.

> None of them citizens, not once their citizenship has been established.

You mean because they made one of them renounce his citizenship?

The fact that you know all this and are arguing anyhow doesn't exactly repair your credibility, you know. I'd say it's a bit worse than grabbing the wrong link out of a set.

Interestingly, there are wikileaks connections even there.

> Political support....from someone who isnt holding any office whatsoever right now? One or two people dont "much political support" make.

Would you prefer the quotes from the justice department mentioning that they have a task force working on this? Or how about the fact that there's an active investigation, as evidenced by the subpoenas to Twitter?

No, that doesn't mean they will execute him, but it does mean that there are people who'd like to. You won't find many out-and-out calls for assassination, but you will find plenty who wouldn't mind trying him in a death penalty case.

> If you are saying that crazy people will do crazy things, then I agree; but I dont get what that has to do with Assange, especially as he is in custody at the moment. Hes not likely to be randomly shot by some crazy person.

Right now? Probably not. If he's let free? That changes things.

more than 3 years ago
top

Assange Could Face Execution Or Guantanamo Bay

Xenographic Re:Not following the news, are you? (973 comments)

> Are you SERIOUSLY defending the Rosenbergs? Or shoving honest-to-goodness Cold War spies in the same camp as Assange, who has been more of an embarrassment than a grave asset to an enemy?

I'm saying that this sort of thing can lead to executions. Did you not read my link text at all?

> Your second link, citizens in Gitmo, appears to be just plain wrong (unless wikipedia is incorrect)-- James Yee doesnt appear to have ever been held in Gitmo, but rather a brig in North Carolina, as he was in the armed forces at the time.

My bad. I copied quite a few links and should have given you the link to the US's own report on how many people don't actually belong in Gitmo.

> With your third link, you seem to be trying to make the point that, because a potential-not-even-yet-announced candidate for president has announced in a not-official-in-any-capacity that she thinks we should hunt obama, that this should therefore be treated as if it is official policy.

I was pointing out how much political support there was for something like that. They've already got a task force hunting for something to charge him with and I've already made the point that it's an executable offense (see point one, which you managed to completely miss).

> Your last link is REALLY classy-- youre buying into this whole "the gunman must have been following someone's rhetoric", even though there is NO indication that he was doing so.

I don't need to prove that the crazy guy was following anyone's rhetoric.

I just need to prove that there are a lot of crazy, angry people out there right now and we can all see that you can't say that no one would do such a thing.

Also, you obviously didn't read what his lawyers wrote: they cited that exact example. So maybe you disagree, but it's already part of the case.

more than 3 years ago
top

Assange Could Face Execution Or Guantanamo Bay

Xenographic Re:Rep. Giffords got shot after being threatened. (973 comments)

> Nobody knows whether or not he listened to any particular radio shows, was a fan of Palin or even saw the map.

It's not unreasonable given that Rep. Giffords herself called Palin out on that very advertisement and reported harassment due to it.

Maybe this guy wasn't, but when there are so many crazy people who are talking about skipping right over the soap, ballot & jury boxes, well....

For the record, I consider myself neither Democrat nor Republican. Although I have voted for both, I generally try to vote for the least crazy individuals.

That's getting fairly difficult these days. At some point, I'm going to have to resort to writing in my own name or something.

more than 3 years ago
top

Assange Could Face Execution Or Guantanamo Bay

Xenographic Not following the news, are you? (973 comments)

> This is so much hyperbole it is not even funny.

Right, because we've never executed people for this sort of thing before. And, even though we'd put innocent US citizens in Gitmo, there's no way we'd do that to someone who isn't even a US national, neatly sidestepping all that "fair trial" nonsense by labeling him as some kind of "enemy combatant" or whatever.

And, even though we have politicians calling for Julian Assange to be assassinated, there's no way that anyone would ever even think of taking them seriously. Ever.

That's total hyperbole, right? Nobody here is that crazy... right?

more than 3 years ago
top

Assange Could Face Execution Or Guantanamo Bay

Xenographic You have no clue what you're talking about. (973 comments)

> If his *own* government wants to give him up and ship him here that really sounds like an issue for him, his countrymen, and *his* government.

His own government is the Australian government, not Sweden or the UK. And Australia is in no position to hand him over to anyone right now.

more than 3 years ago
top

Assange Could Face Execution Or Guantanamo Bay

Xenographic Rep. Giffords got shot after being threatened. (973 comments)

> "prominent figures have implied... that he should be executed" Uh huh... Since when did Palin start making policy decisions again?

One of the people Palin put under the cross-hairs in a political ad, Rep. Giffords, just got shot in Arizona. And I honestly don't think Palin intended that as a physical threat of violence, but she has tons of crazies as followers and was warned by Rep. Giffords that doing stuff like that is a bad idea for a person with as many crazy followers as her.

And you don't seriously think that someone, somewhere is crazy enough that they would shoot him when they pretty much have the support of the Republican party? Heck, they have the support of half the Democrats, too, it seems.

more than 3 years ago
top

Groklaw — Don't Go Home, Go Big

Xenographic Re:No thanks -- oh for goodness sake (230 comments)

Yeah, on Groklaw, all "anons" are lumped together and frequently used as part of conspiracy theories because, hey, nobody knows who they are.

It's weird, because she appears to invent people to argue with instead of addressing their ideas.

No wonder she doesn't want a community site: she only wants silent partners. All the ones that became too well-known have had differences with her and been forced to move on. She's definitely not the type who can run a community, I will say that.

more than 3 years ago
top

Groklaw — Don't Go Home, Go Big

Xenographic The analogy only operates in a "limited sense" (230 comments)

> You're entitled to your own freedom. You're not entitled to the freedom to post whatever you want on someone else's site.

Right. Nobody is claiming otherwise. They *are* saying that they're going to continue to complain about it until the people doing it stop.

They're free to do it. They're even free to delete it on their own site. But we're going to keep pestering you forever and ever and ever unless you stop.

> The difference between censoring your own venue and censoring everyone's venue is profound.

True, but we don't like either one. There's a big difference in how much I would hate eating tripe and how much I would hate eating dog poop. But I should expect people to complain about anyone serving either one to their guests. You can say, "I'm the host. It's my house/website/country and I can feed you tripe or dog crap if I want to," but that kind of misses the point. Nobody where they are, they don't want someone trying to feed them crap.

more than 3 years ago
top

Groklaw — Don't Go Home, Go Big

Xenographic Re:No thanks -- oh for goodness sake (230 comments)

> Slashdot gets by because of the moderation and meta-moderation system.

But Slashdot still only needed to delete, what? Two posts? Ever. One from Microsoft and one from the CoS, as I recall. And then wrote stories about the deletion.

> The people who are investigated don't like it and will do anything they can to shut up or discredit Groklaw.

So she has every reason to be as transparent as possible, so that they have no material to discredit Groklaw. We'll know their lies are not true because of that transparency.

> It is also important to note that there has always been open invitations at Groklaw for Darl McBride, and other targets of investigation to post their side of things.

We saw how that worked when Jay Maynard came over. He put his side of the story on http://ibmvshercules.com/

For the record, I'm of the opinion that TurboHercules has sold out to Microsoft, but that doesn't implicate Jay. He was just stuck in the middle of all this, trying to defend his friends who helped him write the Hercules emulator when they formed the TurboHercules company.

> I'm not saying Groklaw is without flaws but I am saying that the deletion of posts that are designed to discredit the site is not one of them.

It's better to fix one's faults than to delete them.

> The deleted posts lack transparency because they are almost always anonymous and they are almost always by someone pretending to be a member of the community who is not.

You lump all the anons together. Some were people who had their accounts deleted for ridiculous reasons. And then came back to help transcribe PDFs and whatnot, anyhow, after the abuse. Thing is, you don't know who they are, so you're treating them like they're all one person.

For the record, I never made an account, even though PJ asked me to once, because she thought I had good insight. But, frankly, you have no idea who the anons are, so I don't know how you can claim that they were "pretending to be a member of the community" when you have no idea who they are.

I note that you never actually consider the fact that they might be or have been members. Did you ever read AllParadox's rationale for leaving Groklaw? Or did you think he was the only such person?

> you start to sound very much like either a stupid friend of FOSS or a sly enemy.

And you start to sound like a conspiracy theorist. Not everyone is either friend or foe. I'm in favor of FOSS and against OOXML, Microsoft, software patents and deleting the posts of people who debate you instead of responding to them. I have submitted many stories to Slashdot over the years; you should be able to verify all of those statements by reading Googling those stories. I've also covered Groklaw. Before Groklaw was well-known, most of the Slashdot stories on Groklaw were written by me, personally.

Where does that leave me with respect to Groklaw? (Stupid?) friend or foe?

more than 3 years ago
top

Groklaw — Don't Go Home, Go Big

Xenographic The things we're complaining about are not "awful" (230 comments)

> The people PJ exposes fight dirty. They try all sorts of tricks to discredit Groklaw, chief among them is posting awful things anonymously.

First off, there are posts elsewhere showing exactly what sort of comments get deleted. They were comments like "Red Hat is a CCIA member." That was the whole post. It linked to the CCIA membership page. It was removed with no comment, presumably because it ran counter to the story presented.

Is that "awful"? If that post was wrong, and I'm not sure how the CCIA could get its own members wrong, wouldn't the better approach be to fight incorrect information with correct information?

> The idea being they can then smear Groklaw by pointing to these abusive posts as indicative of the Groklaw community. I've seen a bunch of these posts over the years and I've reported them to PJ so she can delete them.

Yes, there are also actual trolls online. I have *no* problem with PJ deleting those posts. Ever. But they're not part of some conspiracy, they're everywhere.

You're changing the topic, though. We're talking about censoring people who disagree. You're talking about people who post "awful" things. These are NOT the same thing, unless you use a strange definition of "awful" that might also reasonably cover many posts to the "corrections here" threads.

I, myself, have covered Groklaw extensively on Slashdot and supporting them. I wrote plenty of stories about how bad OOXML was, too, for that matter. I've been posting stories since the very early days, long before SCO filed suit against IBM. I'm very much in favor of FOSS. I hate software patents and have also advocated for their abolition. I can give you a long diatribe on the Curry-Howard correspondence and how the IEEE-USA president's statement in support of them was factually incorrect about mathematics if you want. In short, I'm not a "troll" and I can prove it.

It's only the censoring of disagreement I'm against. I have no problem with censoring abuse and profanity. Bringing them up is creating a straw man.

more than 3 years ago
top

Immaculate Conception In a Boa Constrictor

Xenographic So, the baby snakes are free of Original Sin? (478 comments)

The Immaculate Conception refers to the birth of Mary (a child conceived without the taint of original sin). The Virgin Birth refers to the birth of Jesus (a child born to a virgin). They are not at all the same thing. You are approximately the 6,696,844,874th person to get them confused.

For those wondering about the calculation:
6,697,254,041 - world population (from Google)
- 409,166 Catholic priests (source)
- 1 (me)
---------------------
6,696,844,874

more than 4 years ago
top

Net Neutrality Supporters Hammered In Elections

Xenographic So... why DIDN'T you check? (402 comments)

You could have simply verified one of the claims made: that he submitted legislation to let people remove DRM for lawful purposes (It's the Fair Use Act of 2007). Now, it's perfectly reasonable to check up on people. But you need to do that in spite of their biases, not just because of them. If you never check up on the people you agree with, you have no basis for thinking you know what you think you know.

So ad hominem is NOT warranted, despite what you claim. This is the internet. You can look up things as much as you want to. If the one and only thing you can figure out is the political persuasion of the person speaking, if you can't find even one single fact about something--anything!--to call the conclusions into doubt except their political leaning, nobody should take you seriously. Ever. Until you reform your ways.

Why? Because you've proven to be a lazy thinker. You took a mental shortcut and didn't even bother to check if it was warranted or not. You said that it's "completely rational to double-check anything they say" but didn't bother doing that (or even trying to!).

By your own definition, you are not behaving rationally.

If it helps you any, I'm not a Republican, Democrat or Libertarian (though I may have voted for some). I simply hate seeing people promote logical fallacies. Boucher had his flaws, but he really was one of the best in Congress on tech issues (that's a VERY low bar to clear, mind you). I know because I read all the news, figure out the things people agree on (even if they disagree about the implications of those things), and do a bit of fact checking to see who is lying. (Everyone is, sometimes. The trick is knowing when.)

more than 4 years ago
top

Apple Exec Stashed $150,000 In Shoe Boxes

Xenographic Who is being singled out? (345 comments)

You wrote:
> Why do you only single out Apple out of all of Foxconn's customers?

In reply to someone who wrote:
> While I'm not faulting Apple anymore than -- say -- Samsung or Sony

How is that being "singled out"?

He hates the unethical behavior. You imply that what he said means that he hates Apple.

What gives?

more than 4 years ago
top

Blackberry Gives India Access To Servers

Xenographic Are you sure it's *securely* encrypted? (182 comments)

Verizon has delegated enough authority to let the UAE write SSL certificates impersonating any site which will get automatically accepted by most browsers, so don't you think it's getting hard to know if your communications are actually secure from eavesdropping?

Part of the problem of secure communications is that there are too many governments who don't want people to have them because people can (and do) plot nefarious things with them.

more than 4 years ago

Submissions

top

How to Access Wikipedia During the Blackout

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 2 years ago

Xenographic (557057) writes "Anyone who needs to bypass the Wikipedia blackout to get information can use the bookmarklet found here to bypass the blocks. But just remember, if laws like SOPA or PIPA pass, the government will be setting up walls just like that everywhere that won't just vanish after 24 hours, so please let your representatives know that these laws are unacceptable."
Link to Original Source
top

The Current Status of Japan's Reactors

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 3 years ago

Xenographic (557057) writes "There's so much panic over Japan's nuclear power plant malfunctions that a lot of misinformation has started showing up in the media from people who don't know anything about BWR safety systems or even what a Sievert is. The Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) has been issuing detailed reports concerning the status of each of the reactors and the operations they're performing on each. Fukushima Daiichi has all six units shut down and everyone within 10km has been asked to evacuate. That's the same plant where the explosion took place, which experts believe to have been caused by built-up hydrogen. Also, before the explosion near unit 1, one worker, who was working on that same unit was accidentally exposed to 106.3mSv of radiation and hospitalized. Fukushima Daini currently has all four units shut down and everyone within 3km of it has been evacuated, while those within 10km are on standby. Kashiwazaki Kariwa is still up, with four of its seven units active and the other three undergoing regular inspections. Several other non-nuclear plants and power substations have been shut down as well. This leaves about 600k people in the area without power."
Link to Original Source
top

EFF: Stand Up to the TSA

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  about 4 years ago

Xenographic (557057) writes "The EFF has compiled a list of good ways to protest the TSA's invasive searches. For example, you can directly complain to the TSA about inappropriate screening, take a survey the TSA is conducting about whether or not body scanning technology should be used, mail the DHS department of civil liberties, or write a letter to any of the addresses they give. Right now, they're promoting the idea that most people like the new searches, so if you don't, you might want to let them know."
Link to Original Source
top

Can Your Company Remote Wipe Your Personal Phone?

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  about 4 years ago

Xenographic (557057) writes "Over on NPR, there's a story about someone whose personal iPhone got remotely wiped by their employer. It was actually a mistake, but it was something of a surprise because they didn't believe they had given their employer any kind of access to do that. This may already be very familiar to Microsoft Exchange admins, but the problem was her iPhone's integration with MS Exchange automatically gives the server admin access to do remote wipes. All you have to do is configure the phone to receive email from an MS Exchange server and the server admin can wipe your phone at will. The phone isn't bricked, even though absolutely all of its data was wiped, because the data could be restored from backup, assuming that someone remembered to make one. But this also works on other devices like Blackberries, iPads and other smartphones that integrate with MS Exchange, so if you read your work email on your personal phone or tablet, you might want to make sure that you keep backups, just in case."
Link to Original Source
top

Groklaw: Its "Like Selling Your Baby toaPedophile"

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  about 4 years ago

Xenographic (557057) writes "PJ has put up her analysis of the Novell acquisition and she refuses to mince words, saying that 'selling any patents to Microsoft is like selling your baby to a pedophile'. Less hyperbolically, she has found that some language in Novell's 8k, 'indicates to me that the consortium sees some relationship between the value of the patent sale and the merger with Attachmate.' Fortunately, 'Novell has released Linux under [the GPL] for some time, and so it provides Linux the only patent protection that Novell couldn't sell.'

Editors: Please fix that headline. There wasn't enough space."

Link to Original Source
top

SCO's 10-Q: Could Face Chapter 7 Liquidation

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 5 years ago

Xenographic writes "SCO's recently-filed 10-Q statement, in which they are legally obligated to be more realistic about their future prospects, has some interesting phrases in it. Perhaps the juiciest bit is, 'If an alternative reorganization could not be agreed upon, it is possible that our bankruptcy case could be converted to a liquidation under Chapter 7 and we would have to liquidate our assets, in which case it is likely that holders of claims would receive substantially less favorable treatment than they would receive if we were to emerge as a viable, reorganized entity; and stockholders would likely receive nothing from the liquidation.' That said, buried deep in their recent legal filings is that the lawyers are billing for time spent 'regarding stalking horse request for 5% break up fee and other issues pertaining to motion to sell', so they may actually have had someone who wants to buy SCO. Then again, other legal filings tend to indicate that they're still working on other crazy plans, like trying to sell the 'litigation upside' as a product, so who knows? Perhaps they'll throw in a free bridge or some lottery tickets to make it more valuable."
Link to Original Source
top

SCO Appeals

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  about 6 years ago

Xenographic writes "As expected, SCO is appealing the Novell judgment because they believe that the judge was too 'hasty' in ruling against them. The SCO v. Novell case will be four years old next January 20th. While it is not likely to succeed, it will drag the case a while longer. Appeals usually take less time than the original case because there's no discovery phase and the appeals court only has to examine the work of the trial court. If time and money allow, we should probably expect them to appeal to the Supreme Court, as well as the subsequent denial of their petition for a writ of certiorari, which would bring a permanent end to the SCO v. Novell litigation. In an unrelated note, SCO is hiring. I love how one of the job requirements is 'reasoning ability', which requires that, 'The candidate must be able to think clearly and concisely.' Who knows how much trouble might have been avoided if they were more stringent in that requirement for previous hires."
Link to Original Source
top

Final Judgment - SCO Loses, Owes $3,506,526

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  about 6 years ago

Xenographic writes "SCO has finally lost to Novell, now that Judge Kimball has entered final judgment against SCO. Of course, this is SCO we're talking about. There's still the litigation in bankruptcy court, which allowed this case to resume so that they could figure out just how much SCO owes, which is $3,506,526, if I calculated the interest properly, $625,486.90 of which will go into a constructive trust. And then there's the possibility that SCO could seek to have the judgment overturned in the appeals courts, or even the Supreme Court when that fails. Of course, they need money to do that and they don't really have much of that any more. Remember how Enderle, O'Gara and company told us that SCO was sure to win? I wonder how many people have emailed them to say, 'I told you so.'"
Link to Original Source
top

IBM Ditches Outsourcing Patent

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 7 years ago

Xenographic writes "IBM has dropped their controversial outsourcing patent, both withdrawing the application and placing it into the public domain. Apparently, it was filed eight months before they implemented more stringent reviews of their patent applications so as to avoid filing for obvious patents, especially business method patents. The notice also says that they would like to thank the community (presumably Slashdot) for bringing it to their attention."
Link to Original Source
top

SFLC Finishes Report on BSD/GPL Dual Licensing

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 7 years ago

Xenographic writes "Groklaw is reporting that the SFLC has finished their report on the dual licensing debacle over the Atheros wireless driver. To remedy the situation, they got the relevant copyright holders to agree to BSD their contributions to the controversial parts and recommend that future developers use the BSD license only, not a dual license, when they intend for the code to be shared between GPL and BSD codebases. Hopefully, this will quiet the flame wars for the time being."
Link to Original Source
top

Publishers Join Forces Against Open Access

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 7 years ago

Xenographic writes "The American Association of Publishers announced the creation of the Partnership for Research Integrity in Science and Medicine. This new partnership, PRISM, will lobby against open access to scientific research on the grounds that science has less integrity when you don't have to pay outrageous fees for access to important journals. They are especially against bills like the Federal Research Public Access Act which could cause a decline in their sales numbers and an "undermining of copyright holders." Y'arr, matey."
Link to Original Source
top

OSI Asks Microsoft to Change the MS-PL

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 7 years ago

Xenographic writes "The OSI has identified two significant flaws in the Microsoft Permissive License, and is unlikely to approve it as an OSI license in its current state. Specifically, the OSI is worried about the way the MS-PL is incompatible with so many other OSI-approved licenses and how misleading that makes the term "permissive" in the license's name. Now the ball is in Microsoft's court and they can choose to amend or withdraw it from consideration."
Link to Original Source
top

Leaks Prove MediaDefender's Deception

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 7 years ago

Who will defend the defenders? writes "Ars Technica has posted the first installment in their analysis of the leaked MediaDefender emails and found some very interesting things. Apparently, the New York Attorney General's office is working on a big anti-piracy sting and they were working on finding viable targets. It also discusses how some of the emails show MediaDefender trying to spy on their competitors, sanitize their own Wikipedia entry, deal with the hackers targeting their systems, and to quash the MiiVi story even while they were rebuilding it as Viide. Oh yes, they definitely read "techie, geek web sites where everybody already hates us" like Slashdot, too."
Link to Original Source
top

Microsoft "Hell-Bent" on Advertising Reven

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 7 years ago

Xenographic writes "According to a statement made by Steve Ballmer at Microsoft's Financial Analysts Day, "We are hell-bent and determined to allocate the talent, the resources, the money, the innovation to absolutely become a powerhouse in the ad business." Presumably, that's what they plan to use their now patented "Mother of All Adware" system for. How long until we need an adblock extension for Windows itself?"
Link to Original Source
top

OOXML Denied INCITS V1 Approval

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 7 years ago

Xenographic writes "INCITS V1, the US group responsible for the US vote over whether or not ANSI will grant fast-track approval to Microsoft's OOXML format, failed to reach the 2/3 consensus required to recommend OOXML to ANSI. What makes this vote interesting is the graph in the article, showing all the new Microsoft business partners who joined INCITS just this year to vote for OOXML. They will now deliberate further, until they can come to some agreement on what to recommend to ANSI, but it's pretty clear that Microsoft is pushing OOXML as hard as it can."
Link to Original Source
top

OOXML's "Formula for Failure"

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 7 years ago

Xenographic writes "As Microsoft fights for the standardization of it's OOXML document format, one of it's most touted strengths is the documentation of its formulas. But how good are they, really? According to Rob Weir, OOXML's formula specification is very wrong. In short, there are many locale issues and several numerical functions don't match the mathematical definitions at all. Even if you don't care about OOXML vs. ODF at all, it's probably still worth a read if you're like me and want to know why some of your old Excel spreadsheet formulas never came out right."
Link to Original Source
top

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 7 years ago

Xenographic writes "Remember all the fuss about SCO subpoenaing PJ of Groklaw, where they allege that she's funded by IBM because she once got a publicly available document from a volunteer at the courthouse a little before it hit the Court's website? That's nothing. Groklaw has a story evidence that other materials have been leaked in this case — but they weren't leaked to Groklaw, and they weren't leaked by IBM. Information about the sealed materials in question made its way to Maureen O'Gara, who wrote a story based on inside information, displaying a positively uncanny insight into what SCO was planning, including far more than just the sealed document a SCO lawyer read out loud in open court. Interestingly, several witnesses report that Maureen O'Gara did not even attend that hearing, leaving us to speculate about her source."
top

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 7 years ago

Xenographic writes "Apparently bereft of better ways to sell Vista, Bill Gates plans to digitize the DaVinci notebooks he owns and make them available online. The catch? You'll have to be running Microsoft Vista in order to view them. From the article, "While Gates and Microsoft emphasized the project as opening knowledge and education to the world, only users of Vista will be able to access the 35 pages owned by Gates, who is making the digital version available to British Library for six months. Gates paid $30 million for the manuscript in 1994." One wonders just what manner of DRM is supposed to keep people from copying those pages."

Journals

top

Captain Copyright Expires

Xenographic Xenographic writes  |  more than 7 years ago

The Canadian superhero Captain Copyright has finally expired, not due to pirates, but because "the current climate around copyright issues will not allow a project like this one to be successful." The cartoon was intended to provide an education in copyright law for children, but it became a focus for criticism when even the Canadian Library Association condemned it for lacking of balance in how it ignored issues like Fair Dealing (Canada's version of Fair Use). Personally, I was hoping we'd see them get sued by DC & Marvel, who claim to own the trademark on the word superhero and vanish in a puff of logic.

Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?