×

Announcing: Slashdot Deals - Explore geek apps, games, gadgets and more. (what is this?)

Thank you!

We are sorry to see you leave - Beta is different and we value the time you took to try it out. Before you decide to go, please take a look at some value-adds for Beta and learn more about it. Thank you for reading Slashdot, and for making the site better!

Comments

top

Jackie Chan Discs Help Boost Solar Panel Efficiency

Zeromous I'm impressed (182 comments)

That's one helluva case of 'sticky hands'. Photons beware!

2 days ago
top

Pirate Bay Co-founder Arrested In Northeastern Thailand

Zeromous Re:What a shame (189 comments)

Oh my god you are a moron.

>They are not Aaron Swartz.

No they are not. Aaron Swartz actually attempted to liberate the data himself. TPB amorally allowed users to break the law if they want. They are no less moral or culpable in this situation than you ISP or Google.

about three weeks ago
top

Pirate Bay Co-founder Arrested In Northeastern Thailand

Zeromous Re:What a shame (189 comments)

> We all know that the purpose of pirate bay was to share copyrighted content

Your premise is flawed. TPB was a clearing house for torrents. Illegal and legal. TPB's problem was they felt they were not breaking the law, because they were not performing the infringement. they lost. That doesn't mean its the correct conclusion. They certainly did not profit off of person A's book, which again was the entire premise I responded to:

> How does a book author make money from touring? He spends years writing a book and some jackass puts it on a website for free and makes money off advertising and buys a house in Phuket.

They profited off of the users that consume pirated data. (S)he who uploads and downloads the data. TPB is agnostic, it's users were not.

about three weeks ago
top

Photon Pair Coupled in Glass Fiber

Zeromous Re:Naive optimism in headline (91 comments)

Far less intelligent me got the idea when I applied for Sally Struther's Firearms repair course and they misspelled the junkmail as a result of that for years!

about three weeks ago
top

Photon Pair Coupled in Glass Fiber

Zeromous Re:Naive optimism in headline (91 comments)

I use this to track where my information comes from. Salutations such as Professor, or minor mispellings work wonders to reveal the path of crumbs your information left for businesses to follow you.

about three weeks ago
top

Pirate Bay Co-founder Arrested In Northeastern Thailand

Zeromous Re:What a shame (189 comments)

Well he certainly didn't put it on a website.

Person A writes book and publishes it for sale.
Person B writes software engine for searching
Person B decide to use their search engine for sharing of torrent file data.
Person C enjoys person A's book and creates and uploads torrent of Person A's book, (which is just a pointer to Person Cs computer at this time) to search engine and begins seeding. Person C has nothing to do with Person B. They don't know each other, have never spoken, or implicitly communicated for any purpose.
Person D .. Z download torrent, complete dowloading the file, and then seed to others who have not yet completed downloading.
Person B notices a lot of traffic to his search engine and puts advertising on it to recoup costs, ends up making profit.

Please explain to me how Person B profited off of Person A's work and not his own? If anyone is responsible it is Person C, and possibly D through Z (but it's definitely Person C who performed the infringement).

about three weeks ago
top

Pirate Bay Co-founder Arrested In Northeastern Thailand

Zeromous Re:The long arm of the law (189 comments)

I don't recall Al Capone leaving the country.

about three weeks ago
top

SpaceShipTwo Pilot Named; Branson Vows To 'Move Forward Together'

Zeromous Re: This was bound to happen. (112 comments)

Lets take a moment to remember Justin Beiber has purchased a ticket.

about a month ago
top

Ask Slashdot: Can You Say Something Nice About Systemd?

Zeromous Re:Speed (928 comments)

That's just it. No one here is AGAINST NEW TECH. They are against defaulting new tech on reference and enterprise software.

Systemd is half baked. Wake me when its cooled and ready to eat.

about a month ago
top

Ask Slashdot: Can You Say Something Nice About Systemd?

Zeromous Re:It freakin' works fine (928 comments)

> Let the good people who develop your distro worry about these hard parts.

I needed RHEL7 in January. It sort of works in November. I work in devops and know better than anyone developers can not be trusted to sort the shit out for us.

about a month ago
top

Ask Slashdot: Can You Say Something Nice About Systemd?

Zeromous Re:It freakin' works fine (928 comments)

I don't use automount because it is flakey. Admittedly this seems to be a solved problem on Ubuntu. But on RHEL7, you best be using automount or you are going to have a bad time. But with solutions like this, who needs problems? It will be the first of many RHEL6 it is.

about a month ago
top

HP Unveils Industrial 3D Printer 10X Faster, 50% Cheaper Than Current Systems

Zeromous Re:try Caligari trueSpace 3D (111 comments)

Truespace is a very acessible 3D program. I loved the simplicity of its binary object tools. You might not make the most efficient model in TS, but its solid.

about a month ago
top

Debate Over Systemd Exposes the Two Factions Tugging At Modern-day Linux

Zeromous Re:It's not first and foremost about you (863 comments)

And when it fails it fails hard. I can't say I agree with your approach either. If you are concerned about how fast your server boots up after downtime you've already lost. A Server failure should not take down multiple critical systems. That's how you save real money.

>Because, you know, Zimbra can't use the postfix, apache httpd, amavis, tomcat or openldap that comes with RHEL

Part-time problems. I suggest you haven't looked closely enough at RHEL's capabilities (see channel subscriptions) or you should probably just go with something like Ubuntu or Fedora if you want/need bleeding edge. Though I did a check and I'm not sure what your issue with Zimbra on RHEL is anyway.

about a month ago
top

Debate Over Systemd Exposes the Two Factions Tugging At Modern-day Linux

Zeromous Re:How about we hackers? (863 comments)

I'm in the exact same boat. RHEL7 GA stability has been atrocious. Most of my problems have been related in some way or another to systemd.

about a month ago
top

Debate Over Systemd Exposes the Two Factions Tugging At Modern-day Linux

Zeromous Re:It's not first and foremost about you (863 comments)

Congratulations you've decided that uptime matters more than your stability. Such wisdom!

> given that when the server is down, the phones are down, the security system's video recording is down, the internet access and internal networking is down, the environmental controls for the building are down, etc.

What?

> but if you're doing security updates, it boils down to having update everything sooner or later - might as well have it all on one machine.

Oh ok, you're trolling.

about a month ago
top

The Inevitable Death of the Internet Troll

Zeromous Re:No chance (571 comments)

I am so old the teardrops are coming to my eyes.

about a month ago
top

What's Been the Best Linux Distro of 2014?

Zeromous Re:Systemd uses (303 comments)

Thank you, this is my every day as systemd's birth has been painful to say the least.

about a month ago
top

What's Been the Best Linux Distro of 2014?

Zeromous Re:Systemd uses (303 comments)

The assumption that I am free to choose what platform I support is bonkers. I am asking to choose the init system. I make multiplatform software. I need to support every distro, and it has fractured in to SysV and SysD. It will fracture again further in the future. Locking in is stupid stupid stupid and anti-UX

about a month ago
top

Debian Talks About Systemd Once Again

Zeromous Re:OpenRC (522 comments)

Why not indeed!

about a month ago

Submissions

Zeromous hasn't submitted any stories.

Journals

Zeromous has no journal entries.

Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?