Beta
×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Comments

top

Russian Military Forces Have Now Invaded Ukraine

ZouPrime Re:Alternate views (848 comments)

> This is coming just days after Poroshenko dissolved his Parliament [cnn.com], there were apparently rising protests against conscription into the Ukrainian army [globalresearch.ca], and the separatists were able to make progress.

> RT is claiming that Ukrainian troops crossed into Russia, in order to defect [rt.com], and the Ukranian government admits this.

Not sure why you think it's the "other side of the story”. It has nothing to do with the story. Some elements of the Ukraine military may be defecting AND Russia may be invading. These are not mutually exclusive claims.

about a month ago
top

Court Allowed NSA To Spy On All But 4 Countries

ZouPrime Re:Uh... Yeah? (242 comments)

> The NSA is an enormous liability with horrible internal security.

The US should remove its electronic spying capabilities because they are internally insecure? I'm not sure to follow you here. It doesn't make any sense, and looks more like a half-assessed excuse to support your conclusion (The NSA should be destroyed no matter what) than anything else.

> It yields virtually nothing useful to the general citizens,

I think the general citizen benefits from the US global hegemony of the last 50 years. I'm sure they don't "feel" like it, but that's the problem of living in a rich country and feeling entitled about it. You end up forgetting the true source of the success to rely so much on.

> and it's actions have jeopardized secure encryption globally

Oh yeah, no exaggeration here!

Well, what can I say? You have the username of your ideas.

about 2 months ago
top

Court Allowed NSA To Spy On All But 4 Countries

ZouPrime Re:Uh... Yeah? (242 comments)

Of course! The US should destroy its electronic espionage capabilities, right as the world enters the information golden age! Makes perfect sense. Why think long term when you can just react to the last news-fueled scandal!

Every industrialized country is racing to adopt strong electronic espionage (and defense capabilities), it's been growing fast for the last decade, as the importance and impact of telecommunication technology has been growing. It is THE hot field right now. Clearly, the most rational move for the US right now is to simply abandon it altogether.

about 2 months ago
top

Court Allowed NSA To Spy On All But 4 Countries

ZouPrime Re:Uh... Yeah? (242 comments)

The trust (or legitimate lack of trust) that people have toward their country has little to do with how countries act among each others.

If you don't trust your country foreign policy (and you are right in saying that it isn't always very legitimate), then act on changing that. Hoping your country to sabotage itself won't work.

The US (and every single other countries) won't abandon the tools at its disposition to enforce its foreign policy just because you feel they should. Countries - especially powerful ones - don't sabotage themselves for no reason.

about 2 months ago
top

Court Allowed NSA To Spy On All But 4 Countries

ZouPrime Re:Uh... Yeah? (242 comments)

Just because spying has caused death doesn't mean it has the same general impact as war (for Christ sake!)

I like how you claim that spying goes against countries "national interest" when every single country does it. I guess it means that every single country is wrong in your view? Or maybe you're just wrong and has no idea what you are talking about.

about 2 months ago
top

Court Allowed NSA To Spy On All But 4 Countries

ZouPrime Re:Uh... Yeah? (242 comments)

> Just because its their job doesn't mean its okay.

Just because it's the job of the military to kill people doesn't mean it's okay.

It's not, but every single country in the world still has a military, and won't disband it just because "killing is wrong".

Countries have interests. They have a foreign policy aimed at defending these interest.

War is diplomacy by any other means, and countries will use wars as a tool of their foreign policy.

Spying is also diplomacy by other means, and countries will use spies as a tool of their foreign policy, which has the nice benefit of not killing people and not destroying everything, like wars do.

That it is "wrong" in some isolated, ideologically pure version of reality has little impact in practice. Countries continue to spy (since before they were such things as "countries"), and will continue for a long time.

about 2 months ago
top

4K Monitors: Not Now, But Soon

ZouPrime Occulus Rift (186 comments)

Some will call me a troll, but as a gamer I'm no longer interested in 4K video since I know Occulus Rift (and competing VR set) are coming.

Why spend a shitload of money of a new 4K screen and the video card necessary for an acceptable game experience when I'll be able to do VR with a fraction of the cost and with my existing hardware setup?

Obviously that's a gamer perspective - I'm sure plenty of people will find 4K for what they are doing.

about 3 months ago
top

Bill Gates To Stanford Grads: Don't (Only) Focus On Profit

ZouPrime Re:A truism: Profit is more valuable than charity. (284 comments)

> Or, like the folks he's talking to, you could go to a prestigious college, get a fancy degree, and potentially land a job that can pay for 3 or 4 people to perform the duties of the charitable worker above, while still maintaining a very comfortable lifestyle. You could even end up higher in a profitable company, where you direct millions of dollars to aid programs just for tax breaks, if not altruism.

You could also tax the shit out of these high-paying peoples with fancy degrees and use the windfall to help fix social ills. Sounds a much more realistic plan than to just hope these guys will do charitable work by themselves - something they may not even have experience or aptitude too.

I really admire and respect what Bill Gates has chosen to do with his wealth, but he's still only an exception, not the rule. Instead asking billionaires like him to redistribute their wealth, we should instead ask ourselves how it is possible for them to amass such massive wealth to begin with.

about 3 months ago
top

The Coming IT Nightmare of Unpatchable Systems

ZouPrime Re:This "nightmare" rigns a bell (240 comments)

"Only because software development sucks".

The solution isn't better coding. It's been CLEAR now, for many years, that we can't just wait for the world coders to magically become amazing and consistently produce flawless code. Yes, training is part of the solution, and so are advanced debugging tools and many other things, but just blaming that it is the coder's fault won't change anything. It's not a solution, it's a blame.

It's like saying that car deaths would go down if only drivers were better.

about 4 months ago
top

The Coming IT Nightmare of Unpatchable Systems

ZouPrime Re:This "nightmare" rigns a bell (240 comments)

The lesson wasn't learned, but the problem was somewhat mitigated. Big software companies adopted regular patch cycles and deployed patch management tools on their customers. It kinda worked because PC are powerful computers well designed to be upgraded and modified.

This is not the case for many embedded systems. They are designed to be installed and then you forget about them. So the "classic" mitigation technique doesn't work. This is a big problem.

about 4 months ago
top

The NSA and Snowden: Securing the All-Seeing Eye

ZouPrime Re:easy (97 comments)

Well... sure... but how is this related to what I wrote?

about 5 months ago
top

The NSA and Snowden: Securing the All-Seeing Eye

ZouPrime Re:easy (97 comments)

The unauthorized disclosure of sensible US information has happened regularly in the 20th century. Act of spying are motivated differently depending of the individual. Interestingly enough, it's rarely a question of ideology.

Sure, illegal acts, or perceived as illegals, can motivate some people in doing what Snowden did. And yes, I guess stopping to do these acts will remove the incentive. But it doesn't mean that it's a solution for the actual security problem. And it certainly how the NSA will see it too.

about 5 months ago
top

The NSA and Snowden: Securing the All-Seeing Eye

ZouPrime Re:easy (97 comments)

Well, maybe that's true for Snowden, but it's just him. In practice, disclosure of sensitive information happens whether "constitutional rights" are respected or not, and the security controls that can be used to secure this information don't change.

about 5 months ago
top

Snowden to Critics: Questioning Putin Has Opened Conversation About Surveillance

ZouPrime Re:Dumbass (168 comments)

Btw, I did not write that. AC isn't me.

about 5 months ago
top

Snowden to Critics: Questioning Putin Has Opened Conversation About Surveillance

ZouPrime Dumbass (168 comments)

It's Russia, you twit! How can there be a Russian conversation about domestic surveillance when they have trouble having political opposition, let alone a free press! The Russian Federation is 148th in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders World free press index, and here you are, talking about how you asked a tough question to a leader who doesn't give a shit about looking hypocritical or lying, and has been using you for the last 10 months to discredit the West while he goes forward with his project of grand russian unification.

about 5 months ago
top

Why We Need To Teach Hacking In High School

ZouPrime Re:hacker vs hacker (124 comments)

See the provided link for the "definitions".

I really like how the very last one (8. "A malicious meddler who tries to discover sensitive information by poking around") is said to be deprecated, when it is by FAR the most commonly used, among infosec professionals, in the litterature, the media and well, pretty much everybody, for the last decade or so... The only exception being that tiny minority who still cling to the old-school definition...

But yeah... "Deprecated."

about 7 months ago
top

Iran's Hacking of US Navy 'Extensive,' Repairs Took $10M and 4 Months

ZouPrime Re:Asymetrical warfare (147 comments)

This is very true, but from the POV of the US, it is also a great argument for continuing to invest in offensive cyber capabilities.

In the end, it costs way less to attack a network than to secure it properly. And unfortunately, this asymmetrical situation could remain true for a long time.

This also can lead to a cult of the offensive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_the_offensive

about 7 months ago
top

NSA: Others Implicated in Making Snowden Data Leaks Possible

ZouPrime Re:Snowden did not act alone (118 comments)

> Given that a lot of people in intelligence communities believe they are working for the good side, I have no troubles believing your hypothesis.

A truckload of people in the security and intelligence communities have issues with domestic surveillance and were against the Patriot Act from the very begining. It's far from a minority opinion.

about 8 months ago
top

Electric Cybersecurity Regulations Have a Serial Problem

ZouPrime Not really surprising (40 comments)

I've work extensively with NERC CIP v3 - there's a BUTTLOAD of blind spots in the standard, but it's also true for PCI and others, and it will also be true for NERC CIP v5.

These regulations generally aim for basic security controls, in industries that have little to no information security culture, so they start with some basic stuff. And even this basic stuff is hard to sell and implement.

about 8 months ago
top

Ukrainian Protesters Receive Mass Text Message Ordering Them To Disperse

ZouPrime Re:Remember how the NSA is worse than the Stasi? (233 comments)

Oh yeah, you got me there Sherlock. It's impossible that some people just think that i'm making sense, and are happy to see someone calling your bullshit for once. No. It MUST be a conspiracy. By "shills". We are legion, we are everywhere. The NSA pays us to troll a website nobody cares about anymore.

about 8 months ago

Submissions

ZouPrime hasn't submitted any stories.

Journals

ZouPrime has no journal entries.

Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?