Yahoo Answers is WRONG WRONG WRONG !!!!!!!
What would happen if the Earth froze in its orbit around the sun? I'll bet most Slashdotters could answer this in a reasonably intelligent way.
Ok so this was "Best of Answers" on Yahoo Answers. For those who don't know that means it was featured prominently on the front page of Yahoo Answers. The question was answered in a rather... odd way. Apparently global warming will eventually cause the earth's rotation to slow down and stop! He gets a few things right, but the moral of the story is if you rely on Answers for anything important you're an idiot.
Keep in mind, this is the BEST of Answers. It only goes downhill from here.
And you thought Slashdotters went crazy for low UIDs
Wondering what rich people in the Middle East do with their oil wealth? In Abu Dhabi, they auction off license plates. Just like on Slashdot, the low numbers are highly coveted. One guy paid over $6 million dollars to have number 5. Other high demand numbers are the two-digit numbers, and repeating digits like 11111. The money goes to a government run charity benefiting largely traffic accident victims (too bad we can't get that kind of money for the EFF for Slashdot UIDs!). They say license plate 1 will be auctioned off soon -- how high will the bidding go?
Longcat is loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong
Tired of dwarf urls?
LOL @ Larry Craig story
I wonder what kind of options he's keeping open? Leaving the Republican Party for the Lemon Party?
Paris Hilton got special treatment in jail
This is the story that won't go away. Can we just stop talking about Paris Hilton please? Apparently she got special treatment like a brand new jail jumpsuit (instead of the recycled ones most inmates have to wear) and something about a 2am phone call.
Voters of L.A., get rid of this sheriff!
My favorite number
Fifteen undecillion, two hundred fifty-six decillion, two hundred seventy eight nonillion, eight hundred eighty-seven octillion, nine hundred eighty-nine septillion, four hundred fifty-seven sextillion, six hundred fifty-one quintillion, eighteen quadrillion, eight hundred sixty-five trillion, nine hundred one billion, four hundred one million, seven hundred four thousand, six hundred forty.
Tax tip of the day 3/29/07
If you steal property, you must report its fair market value in your income in the year you steal it unless, in the same year, you return it to its rightful owner.
Yahoo News discovers the concept of "trolling"
Kind of ironic given the prevalence of trolls on Yahoo.
When a California woman recently gave birth to a healthy baby just two days after learning she was pregnant, the sudden change to her life was challenging enough. What April Branum definitely didn't need was a deluge of nasty Internet comments.
Postings on message boards made cracks about Branum's weight (about 400 pounds -- one reason she says didn't realize sooner she was pregnant). They also analyzed her housekeeping ability, based on a photo of her home. And they called her names. "A pig is a pig," one person wrote. Another suggested that she "go on the show 'The Biggest Loser.'"
Hillary 1984: Web generation's "Daisy ad"?
A new ad on Youtube attacking Sen. Hillary Clinton is leading some to speculate on major shifts in how presidential campaigns are run, according to this San Francisco Chronicle article. Though the ad presents itself as an ad for BarackObama.com, the Obama campaign insists it had nothing to do with the ad. Will Web 2.0 and the Youtube Generation overturn the campaign model of the 20th century, which featured coordinated, top-down messages carefully controlled by expensive political consultants?
Wikipedia declares all-out war on GNAA
Wikipedia declares all-out war on GNAA
Article deleted following closely contested vote; GNAA president banned
St. Petersburg, FL (AP) -- In recent days, Wikipedia, which bills itself "the free encyclopedia that any monkey can edit", has greatly stepped up its offensive in its ongoing war with the Gay Nigger Association of America (GNAA). On November 26, 2006, Wikipedia user Voortle nominated the GNAA's article for deletion for the eighteenth time, citing the following reason: "The article does not cite any reliable secondary sources. Note, please don't close this early as we really should get a consensus and consider deleting this article, as it is unsourced." In addition, a large, gay pink tag was placed on top of the deletion discussion, warning that new and anonymous users' votes wouldn't count (Though Wikipedia denies that deletion discussions are votes, most international observers agree that they are de facto vote taking). Just 37 hours later, with the vote tally standing at 44-31 in favor of deletion, an administrator named Tawker closed the vote as "non sourcable and feeding the trolls", not only going directly against the nominator's request for time to establish a true consensus, but also clearly violating established Wikipedia policy requiring deletion discussions remain open for five business days. The GNAA article was soon after deleted. It is widely believed that Tawker violated policy so he could have the "honor" of deleting the GNAA article. Wikipedia has been at war with GNAA since 2003.
In a related move, long-standing Wikipedia editor Timecop has recently been banned from editing Wikipedia permanently. As Timecop is the president of the GNAA, it is widely believed that this move is a result of anti-GNAA sentiment in the Wikipedia community rather than a justifiable banning of a Wikipedia user. Supporters of the GNAA have pointed out that Timecop's first edit was September 27, 2004, making him a more established Wikipedia editor than most administrators. Ironically, one of Timecop's major contributions to the project was removing unsourced material on internet related topics (specifically, blogs). As Timecop's movement to remove such unsourced material gained widespread acceptance in the Wikipedia community, it eventually led to the deletion of his organization's article, and his own banishment from Wikipedia.
Wikipedia discussions on the deletion of the GNAA article and the banning of GNAA leadership from editing Wikipedia are ongoing.
Donkey sex on Youtube
LOL Wikipedia ADMINS wheel warring over GNAA deletion!
* 12:25, 29 November 2006 Voice of All (Talk | contribs) protected Gay Nigger Association of America (Please don't wheel war; I am not editing this again though [edit=sysop:move=sysop])
* 12:24, 29 November 2006 Voice of All (Talk | contribs) deleted "Gay Nigger Association of America" (let the DRV go through, it doesn't seem like obvious admin abuse IMO, looking at the AfD)
* 12:21, 29 November 2006 Mikkalai (Talk | contribs) protected Gay Nigger Association of America (admin's abuse is more inadmissible than anon's trolling [edit=autoconfirmed:move=autoconfirmed])
* 12:19, 29 November 2006 Mikkalai (Talk | contribs) restored "Gay Nigger Association of America" (2,716 revisions restored: DRV irrelevant. Deletion was done in blatant violation of deletion process)
* 12:17, 29 November 2006 Coredesat (Talk | contribs) protected Gay Nigger Association of America ([edit=sysop:move=sysop])
* 12:16, 29 November 2006 Coredesat (Talk | contribs) deleted "Gay Nigger Association of America" (DRV has not ended yet and no one asked for restoration of history)
* 12:07, 29 November 2006 Mikkalai (Talk | contribs) protected Gay Nigger Association of America (violation of deletion process [edit=autoconfirmed:move=autoconfirmed])
* 12:06, 29 November 2006 Mikkalai (Talk | contribs) restored "Gay Nigger Association of America" (2,712 revisions restored: Absolutely inadmissible violation of deletion procedure for an article that survived so many nominations)
* 20:28, 27 November 2006 Ral315 (Talk | contribs) protected Gay Nigger Association of America (Salt due to deletion. [edit=sysop:move=sysop])
* 20:26, 27 November 2006 Tawker (Talk | contribs) deleted "Gay Nigger Association of America" (per Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Gay Nigger Association of America (18th nomination))
* 05:16, 22 April 2006 Freakofnurture (Talk | contribs) protected Gay Nigger Association of America (protect from pagemoves [move=sysop])
* 05:11, 22 April 2006 Freakofnurture (Talk | contribs) deleted "Gay Nigger Association of America" (Deleted to make way for move.)
* 05:10, 22 April 2006 Cort5433 (Talk | contribs) moved Gay Nigger Association of America to Homosexual African-American Association of America (revert)
* 20:18, 19 April 2006 Heah (Talk | contribs) protected Gay Nigger Association of America (edit warring from socks after protection [edit=autoconfirmed:move=autoconfirmed])
* 13:41, 17 April 2006 Naconkantari (Talk | contribs) unprotected Gay Nigger Association of America (protected for one week)
* 15:53, 11 April 2006 Heah (Talk | contribs) protected Gay Nigger Association of America (vand from socks, sprotect wasn't working [edit=sysop:move=sysop])
* 15:40, 10 April 2006 Heah (Talk | contribs) protected Gay Nigger Association of America (vandalism from socks [edit=autoconfirmed:move=autoconfirmed])
* 18:17, 14 March 2006 Tooth Fairy (Talk | contribs) moved Gay Nigger Association of America to Gay Nigger Association of America on wheels! (It's on wheels!) (revert)
* 05:10, 16 December 2005 Ta bu shi da yu (Talk | contribs) unprotected Gay Nigger Association of America (Unprotecting.)
* 05:43, 15 December 2005 Ta bu shi da yu (Talk | contribs) protected Gay Nigger Association of America (Should not be on AfD.)
* 20:29, 12 November 2005 Redwolf24 (Talk | contribs) restored "Gay Nigger Association of America"
* 23:51, 13 July 2005 Ta bu shi da yu (Talk | contribs) unprotected Gay Nigger Association of America (Bugger it. I'll accept the VfD closure.)
* 20:36, 13 July 2005 Ta bu shi da yu (Talk | contribs) protected Gay Nigger Association of America (VfD notice will only be removed when the VfD is CLOSED.)
No more oversleeping -- flying alarm clock
We have found the perfect christmas gift for sleepy heads the Flying Alarm clock. It works on the same lines of the Blowfly Flying Alarm clock whcih makes sure you wake up as at the time of alarm it takes off and flies round the room, making a really annoying noise like a mosquito. The only option to shut it up is to wake up catch the damn thing and place it back on the base. If you do hit the snooze button it will take off once again. In case you are sleeping after a night of partying and dont wake up even with the mosquito buzz then it will fly until it runs out of juice and may end up falling on you.
Thing is, I've had a flying alarm clock for years -- damn thing goes off at some ungodly hour, I pick it up and it's flying across the room.
Student threatens school on Wikipedia; facing felony charges
Earlier this week, a high school student in suburban Chicago was arrested for posting a threat to the article about his school on Wikipedia. The threat was posted at 5:37 Central time last Sunday afternoon, and the poster was given an automated warning by a bot that looks for and automatically reverts vandalism on Wikipedia. At some point, Wikipedia administrators were made aware of the threat, and they notified the police and FBI. The start of classes was delayed 15 minutes, the school notified the parents of all 2600 students at the school, and the poster (who turned out to be a 14 year old freshman at the school) was arrested on charges of felony disorderly conduct. Wikipedia has since removed the edit in question from the article's edit history.
LOL @ Homeland Security
U.S. Homeland Security Cautions NFL on Bomb Threats (Update1)
By William Roberts
Oct. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Citing an ``abundance of caution,'' the U.S. Department of Homeland Security warned the National Football League and stadium security officials nationwide about dirty bomb threats posted on a Web site, a spokeswoman said.
``We did put out a private sector note about an hour ago,'' said Joanna Gonzalez, a department spokeswoman. ``We have been monitoring reports from overseas.''
The threats, posted on an English-language Web site, said that an al Qaeda operative had smuggled deadly materials into the U.S. from Mexico.
``We judge that they are not credible. However, out of an abundance of caution we did want to notify federal state and local law enforcement and private sector partners to be vigilant,'' Gonzalez said.
The department didn't name the stadiums, and Gonzalez said the public shouldn't change plans.
``The Department of Homeland Security has judged that the threat is not credible,'' said Brian McCarthy, NFL spokesman in New York.
``Our stadiums are very well protected through the comprehensive security procedures we have in place, including secure facility perimeters, pat-downs, and bag searches,'' McCarthy said.
The threats said truck bombs of radioactive materials would be target stadiums in seven U.S. cities on Oct. 22; Miami, New York, Atlanta, Seattle, Houston, Oakland and Cleveland.
The New York Jets, Miami Dolphins, Houston Texans, Atlanta Falcons, Oakland Raiders, and Cleveland Browns football teams all play at home that Sunday.
Hey guys let me help you out:
CLEVELAND BROWNS STADIUM
I'm moving to Brattleboro, Vermont
Hot Gasoline: WOULD YOU LIKE SOME CHEESE WITH YOUR WHINE?
The California attorney general's office has launched an investigation of gas stations and truck stops selling "hot" fuel to consumers without making adjustments for changes in fuel volume.
Tom Dressler, a spokesman for Attorney General Bill Lockyer, said Monday that his office will investigate whether any state laws or regulations were broken. The attorney general also plans to recommend how the problem can be fixed.
The action comes in response to a story from The Kansas City Star, which also appeared in Sunday's Star-Telegram, describing how gasoline and diesel retailers profit from selling fuel that is hotter than the 60-degree standard agreed to by the industry and government regulators nearly a century ago.
Drawing on a fuel-temperature database compiled by a federal agency, and adjusting for state-by-state fuel temperatures and consumption patterns, The Star estimated that hot fuel costs U.S. consumers $2.3 billion a year. The financial cost to consumers in California, which uses more gasoline than any other state, was $500 million.
The Star's series also described methods that could be used to address the problem.
In Hawaii, for example, the state requires that retailers dispense 234 cubic inches per gallon, rather than the 231 cubic inches per gallon dispensed in the rest of country, to compensate for hot fuel. The state assumes its fuel is sold at an average temperature of 80 degrees, 20 degrees above the standard.
In Texas, fuel tanks average 78 degrees, according to the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
In Canada, where cold fuel once cost retailers money, the industry supported a voluntary program to retrofit pumps to automatically adjust volumes to account for temperature change. The Star estimated such a technological fix would cost $1.4 billion to $1.9 billion in the U.S.
"It's a simple principle. You should get what you pay for," said Dressler, adding that it was "most disturbing" that the major oil companies and other retailers were "nickel-and-diming" Californians while posting record profits.
The American Petroleum Institute, which represents the oil industry, has argued that the hot-fuel problem is "negligible" and not worth fixing, citing the high cost of retrofitting the country's gas and diesel pumps. The API said that consumers would be confused by fuel dispensers that adjust the volume of fuel pumped for temperature variation.
Dressler said the attorney general rejected the notion that U.S. consumers would get confused by purchasing gas adjusted for temperature.
"Our consumers are just as smart as those north of the border," he said.
The announcement of the inquiry followed letters sent by The Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights to the attorney general, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and U.S. Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman.
"It's outrageous that Americans, who are already paying too much for their gasoline so oil companies can make billions in profits, cannot rely on an honest measurement for every gallon of gasoline they pump," wrote Jamie Court, president of the Santa Monica-based advocacy group, in his letter to Schwarzenegger.
Click here to find out more!
Click here to find out more!
Zinedine "Headbutt" Zidane -- video up on youtube
Also check out http://ggzidane.com/