We are sorry to see you leave - Beta is different and we value the time you took to try it out. Before you decide to go, please take a look at some value-adds for Beta and learn more about it. Thank you for reading Slashdot, and for making the site better!
dkegel (904729) writes "Over the last couple weeks, many downloads at microsoft.com related to older versions of Windows have been silently deleted. For instance, Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, which used to be at www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28, is no longer there.
It seems that a) Microsoft is getting quite serious about ending even any hint of support for end-of-life operating systems, and b) the era of being able to download individual fixes via the web is ending; the future is automated updates." Link to Original Source top
I emailed him just now explaining it a bit, linked to./'s articles and wikipedia's articles on the lawsuits, and suggested he do a followup article showing the other side of the story.
(A few more emails to the guy might help drive the point home, but please don't send him hate mail, he's just a journalist trying to do his job, and vitriol would probably make him think that the Evil Conspiracy Against The Inventor was real and still active.)" Link to Original Source top
IBM converts all workstations from MS Office to Lo
dkegel writes "According to an article in the german paper "Handelsblatt", 90% of IBM's 360,000 workers have already installed Symphony, the remaining 10% were asked in August to install it within ten days, and the company intends to use the.odf format for all new documents by the end of 2009.
(googlefish translation here: Ihttp://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen/it-medien/ibm-wirft-ms-office-raus;2455530&sl=de&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 )" Link to Original Source top
"In order to get more feedback from developers, we have early developer channel versions of Google Chrome for Mac OS X and Linux (for a couple of different Linux distributions), but whatever you do, please DON'T DOWNLOAD THEM! Unless of course you are a developer or take great pleasure in incomplete, unpredictable, and potentially crashing software.
How incomplete? So incomplete that, among other things , you won't yet be able to view YouTube videos, change your privacy settings, set your default search provider, or even print.
Meanwhile, we'll get back to trying to get Google Chrome on these platforms stable enough for a beta release as soon as possible..."