Beta

Slashdot: News for Nerds

×

Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!

Comments

top

Mass. Supreme Court Says Defendant Can Be Compelled To Decrypt Data

dnaumov Unforunate developments (560 comments)

I haven't even looked, but I bet the comments are full of posts saying something along the lines of "What if I forgot the password?" Unfortunately, this cop-out won't work or if it will, it won't for long. In many countries, the courts have already taken a stance that in such a scenario, it's at the court's discretion whether to actually believe your claim of forgetfulness or not. There is no reason to believe the exact same thing won't happen in the US.

about a month ago
top

US Supreme Court Invalidates Patent For Being Software Patent

dnaumov In other news... (220 comments)

... Supreme Court has upheld the patentability of software concepts, while setting limits: Companies can't patent a mere abstract idea on a computer, but can patent software ideas that advance or improve upon existing ideas.

http://recode.net/2014/06/19/s...

about a month ago
top

Pirate Bay Co-Founder Peter Sunde Arrested In Sweden

dnaumov Re:His 'role in the site' (221 comments)

Ah, yes, and gun manufacturers and distributors facilitate murder, right?

about 2 months ago
top

Pirate Bay Co-Founder Peter Sunde Arrested In Sweden

dnaumov Re:That's not true and you know it. (221 comments)

Except laws and court proceedings are supposed to precisely deal with exactly semantics. That's half the reason they exist in the first place.

about 2 months ago
top

Study: Earthlings Not Ready For Alien Encounters, Yet

dnaumov Re: next 50 to 100 years? (453 comments)

You are looking at this in precisely the wrong way: there are countless and countless planets in the universe, as such, the odds of our planet being the only one to have civilization are extremely poor.

about 3 months ago
top

Google May Be $1 Billion Behind In Tax Payments To France

dnaumov Re: So few (199 comments)

This is not how the world works in the 21st century anymore. Of course, Google does have offices in France, but don't assume they coudn't just close them. The internet is a funny thing, it doesn't give a crap about arbitrary geographic borders. I provided you with content: my reply to your post, do I now "operate" in your country?

about 3 months ago
top

Retired SCOTUS Justice Wants To 'Fix' the Second Amendment

dnaumov Re:Militia, then vs now (1633 comments)

When the constitution was ratified, the militia was the only defense that the United States had, and all able bodied men were expected to be ready to serve.

Now, whether the militia is the intent of the second amendment is a question that we have been asking for a long time now. The wording of the second amendment is not particularly clear on that.

It can be reasonably argued that the whole point of the second amendment is to allow citizens to protect themselves from an oppressive goverment. So no, limiting it to only people serving in a federally sanctioned militia would go "just a tiny bit" against the original idea.

about 3 months ago
top

Cryptocurrency Exchange Vircurex To Freeze Customer Accounts

dnaumov Re:But there's nothing wrong with Bitcoin! (357 comments)

It's the people, goddammit!

No, It's because Bitcoin is stupid.
It can't expand and shrink to fit economic use.

That's a feature, not a bug. A lot of Bitcoin proponents are backing Bitcoin PRECISELY BECAUSE it's a medium of exchange free of government meddling.

about 4 months ago
top

Turkey Heightens Twitter Censorship with Mandated IP Blocking

dnaumov Re:Censorship requested by people (102 comments)

Source, google-translated:
The people asked for the ministry that on twitter, laws are broken (insults, privacy laws etc).
Twitter was contacted by the ministry and did nothing, so a court ordered that the only way to preserve Turkeys peoples right is to block twitter.

This is not how the internet works. You don't get to dictate what a service provided by a company located in another country does or does not offer. And the sooner your realise that your futile attempts to "erase" said service from "your internet" by various blocking methods, the faster you stop making a moron deserving utter humiliation out of yourself.

about 4 months ago
top

The Future of Cryptocurrencies

dnaumov pundits keep on getting this wrong (221 comments)

I always chuckle when I read yet another pundit claim that Bitcoin is going to fail because it's not government-backed. A significant part of current Bitcoin userbase are libertarian-minded folk who believe (and with very good reason) that a goverment-backed currency equals a currency that's constantly meddled with by said government, so having a government-backed crypto currency is precisely what they DO NOT WANT. Not having central banks fuck about with the money supply and the lack of need for banking institutions are features, not bugs.

about 4 months ago
top

Apple Refuses To Unlock Bequeathed iPad

dnaumov Re:Why do they need to unlock it? (465 comments)

They would like to use the device? Since iOS7, there is an anti-theft security measure that prevents a "misplaced" iOS device from being activated with a new AppleID unless the device was specifically "unregistered" from the AppleID of the previous owner. Wiping the device won't help, as the activation of the wiped device will ask for AppleID credentials of the previous owner.

about 5 months ago
top

Netflix Blinks, Will Pay Comcast For Network Access

dnaumov Re:Internet access should be a socialized service (520 comments)

There's no reason for private companies to profit off the basic requirements of a functioning society

So there should be no private energy companies? No private guards / security companies? No private education and no private health care? What a crock of shit.

about 5 months ago
top

Satya Nadella Named Microsoft CEO

dnaumov Re:Office 365 (293 comments)

So what's wrong with Office 365?

Because storing your private/confidential information in a cloud is a stupid idea, because you don't really have control over your data.

Anything you store in Microsoft's cloud is subject to the PATRIOT Act and can be demanded with a secret warrant.

So how about, use Office 365, but.... don't use the cloud features? Shocking idea, I know!

about 6 months ago
top

Stop Trying To 'Innovate' Keyboards, You're Just Making Them Worse

dnaumov Re:Windows keys? (459 comments)

Does anyone actually use the damn Windows Key?

In Windows 8, you actually kinda have to.

about 6 months ago
top

Microsoft Quietly Fixes Windows XP Resource Hog Problem

dnaumov Re:Over a decade (246 comments)

I didn't pay $100 for Linux.

Even then the bugs in Linux still get fixed faster.

But yeah, when volunteers are giving their own time to build me a killer operating system, I'm not going to harass them about a schedule. I give them thanks and positive vibes and sometimes donations. I think we all expect more from paid developers... but we don't always get it.

So how many Linux distributions are supported 12 years after launch? For free?

about 6 months ago
top

US Government To Convert Silk Road Bitcoins To USD

dnaumov "according to the law" (408 comments)

According to the law, the guy hasn't actually been convicted of anything yet, so WTF?

about 6 months ago
top

Ask Slashdot: Suggestions For a Simple Media Server?

dnaumov Mac Mini, there, I said it. (420 comments)

You can probably achieve similar results with a cheap Intel NUC, but I happened to have a Mini and I am VERY happy with the results. I use Rowmote as the remote control/touchpad/keyboard to control it, Air Video to stream my video library to my iPhone over the internet when not at home, XBMC and VLC locally as well as all the other usual suspects.

Yes it's relatively expensive, yes it's overkill. But it does the job really really well, shit just works and it's tiny and beautiful.

about 6 months ago
top

OpenBSD Looking At Funding Shortfall In 2014

dnaumov Re:20,000 USD for electricity? Really? (277 comments)

Also:

> The OpenBSD project uses a lot of electricity for running the
> development and build machines. A number of logistical reasons
> prevents us from moving the machines to another location which might
> offer space/power for free, so let's not allow the conversation to go
> that way.

Makes it sound even more BS. 20,000 dollars which is supposedly what the project needs annually for electricity alone would easily cover any such "logistical reasons".

about 6 months ago
top

OpenBSD Looking At Funding Shortfall In 2014

dnaumov 20,000 USD for electricity? Really? (277 comments)

20,000 USD (or 20k CAD for that matter) pays for A LOT of electricity, so this sounds really fishy.

about 6 months ago

Submissions

top

FreeNAS switching from FreeBSD to Debian Linux

dnaumov dnaumov writes  |  more than 4 years ago

dnaumov (453672) writes "FreeNAS, a popular free NAS solution is moving away from using FreeBSD as it's underlying core OS and switching to Debian Linux. Version 0.8 of FreeNAS as well as all further releases are going to be based on Linux, while the FreeBSD-based 0.7 branch of FreeNAS is going into maintenance-only mode, according to main developer Volker Theile. A discussion about the switch, including comments from the developers can be found on the FreeNAS SourceForge discussion forum. Some users applaud the change, which promises improved hardware compatibility, while others voice concerns regarding the future of their existing setups and lack of ZFS support in Linux."
top

Blizzard introduces World of Warcraft pet store

dnaumov dnaumov writes  |  more than 4 years ago

dnaumov (453672) writes "Despite their previous claim that they won't be intoducing sales of in-game items for real money, Blizzard today announced the introduction of the Pet Store. Currently 2 pets are available for purchase, each one costing 10$. Many old-time players have by now noticed a definate shift in direction towards introducing more additional paid services to the game and wonder whether the Activision — Blizzard merger had anything to do with this change."
Link to Original Source
top

China chooses FreeBSD as basis for secure OS

dnaumov dnaumov writes  |  more than 5 years ago

dnaumov writes "A report by the Washington Post claims China is equipping all of its government and military PCs with a version of the Kylin (site in Chinese) operating system to make hacking attempts by foreign intelligence services more difficult. The information about the highly secure operating system was made public during a US China Economic and Security Review Commission hearing in late April. In addition to the secure operating system, the computers will also contain a special microprocessor to prevent attacks. The Kylin (Chinese page link) operating system was developed by China's University of Science and Technology for National Defence, and although it appears the system is claimed to be proprietary, an analysis of the code (site in Chinese) in the kernel indicates that it is in fact a hardened version of FreeBSD 5.3. Kylin"

Journals

dnaumov has no journal entries.

Slashdot Account

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?

Don't worry, we never post anything without your permission.

Submission Text Formatting Tips

We support a small subset of HTML, namely these tags:

  • b
  • i
  • p
  • br
  • a
  • ol
  • ul
  • li
  • dl
  • dt
  • dd
  • em
  • strong
  • tt
  • blockquote
  • div
  • quote
  • ecode

"ecode" can be used for code snippets, for example:

<ecode>    while(1) { do_something(); } </ecode>
Create a Slashdot Account

Loading...