Laptop/Server Data Synchronization?
Apologies if it's in bad taste to reply to my own post, especially because it's about the product I'm working on, but here are some of Dropbox's differences/improvements over what people typically hack together themselves:
- syncs continuously/watches the FS for file changes (no cron jobs needed -- things usually sync as quickly as they can be sent)
- does binary diffing and only sends deltas (compressed & over SSL)
- transparently archives past versions of all files (i.e. undelete/infinite undo)
- syncs across any number of machines
- lets you get to your files from the web
- some more info @ http://venturebeat.com/2007/08/16/the-y-combinator -list/
We made it after hacking together our own rsync-based abominations and getting really annoyed that no one had solved this genre of problems in a way that normal people could use.
Okay, I can stop shilling now. I was just excited that other people run into these problems.