Debriefing After Warsaw's First Startup Weekend
That's not very web 2.0y of you.
Punish Bad Users With Drupal Misery
Is there a way I can enable this, like, sitewide by default, punished user or not?
Sony Marketing Man Tweets PS3 Master Key
Vegas? Pro editing? You're joking, right? Maybe if you think "offline editing" means you turned your camera off.
If you're a pro you're cutting with Avid. Period. Premiere Pro or Final Cut will do in a pinch but if you're using Vegas you might as well take your ass back to Youtube.
Also, I think it should be pointed out Sony didn't make Vegas, they bought it from Sonic Foundry.
Usage Based Billing In Canada To Be Rescinded
Actually, CATV stands for Community Antenna Television. Basically a bunch of people going in and getting a big antenna for better reception.
And North America's first cable TV system was actually in a city, not a rural area. Trust me, I live here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guelph_Ontario#History
Why Android Is the New Windows
I'm guessing you weren't around in the 80's when the ONLY home PC was an Apple.
I'm guessing you weren't either.
Mozilla Plans Mobile App Store
Why go to all the trouble of creating something when you can wait for someone else to do it then jump on the bandwagon and make some "me too" money?
Google Asks Users To Complain Against Facebook
So has anybody started a Facebook group yet?
High-Frequency Programmers Revolt Over Pay
Maybe you should be a little more discerning about where you work.
Mentioning Android Is a No-No In iPhone App Store
Android is now an un-word
Facebook App Exposes Abject Insecurity
Why are people getting so worked up about this? It's not like the information applications can access has been posted here for years or anything...
Opera 10.0 Released, With Integrated Web Server Functionality
How many times did they have to refresh the acid 3 test page? I just tried 4 times in Firefox 3.0.11 and got 4 different scores.
What Free IDE Do You Use?
Eclipse. I mostly use the usual Java plugins, Flex Builder, PHP development kit, EPIC, PyDEV and it handles the little bit of C/C++ I do without any complaints. If the RIM JDE plugin worked in Linux it'd never get closed.
Ridiculous Software Bug Workarounds?
I thought lame workarounds were par for the course when dealing with computers? Here's a list of just a few I go through on a daily basis:
- My laptop's external monitor's randr setting is currently --above because --left-of breaks the Intel video driver (Xubuntu 8.1 it caused complaints but worked, 9.04 it's performance is on par with a P-100 sporting a Cirrus 1mb video card)
- Every morning I have to open a terminal and ifconfig my network address because Network Manager refuses to save changes (which is a step up from 8.1, which wouldn't even save network settings)
- I have my 2 Windows partitions mounted in /media and manually mount external drives there as there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to when (or if) they show up in "Places" or a save as/open dialog.
- I don't know what the berry_charge kernel module does, but it doesn't charge a Blackberry so I had to dig out the AC adapter.
- When working with vector graphics, I have Illustrator installed in an XP virtual machine. Believe it or not, this is faster and more usable than Inkscape.
- If I want to commit, I need to exit and restart Eclipse if it's been open more than 10 minutes otherwise Subversive endlessly claims it's "Running..." while doing nothing
- It's nice xfce4-mixer in 9.04 lets me use my scroll wheel on it's icon to raise/lower volume, although I preferred 8.1 letting me use the volume keys on my keyboard
Sure it's a pain and there are many more I'm forgetting, but at least it's not Windows :)
Playing Tetris Is Good For You
Fail-wise I'd say you're on par with the real first post
Microsoft Begs Hardware Makers To Take Support Seriously
When I can throw my Digisuite DTV into a Linux box and have it work I'll believe this, until then "Linux supports more devices (minus one) than any OS ever"
(Useful) Stupid Unix Tricks?
deltree /y c:\windows
I hate pushing keys
Discuss the US Presidential Election
You're exactly right: That is most likely how America would implement socialized medicine. It's also the reason you're in this mess in the first place.
I live in Ontario (Canada). We have socialized medicine. I go the doctor of my choice and OHIP pays for it. I go to whatever hospital I need to, get whatever needs doing done and OHIP pays for it. I can have tests done at whatever lab is convenient for me and OHIP pays for it.
Are our waiting rooms full? Yes, for two reasons: Free systems are abused and people are stupid. Instead of using the second hour they're sitting in emergency to ponder whether or not they really need to be there, they go off on half-cocked rants and diatribes that Americans misunderstand and use to fuel the anti-socialized camps. Notice how neither reason was government inefficiency?