PHP vs. Node.js: the Battle For Developer Mind Share
Sounds like browser-native Flash + Actionscript. Multi-platform, no plugins and widely supported. I've never developed for Flash and know nothing about ease-of-use. In any case, capabilities deliverable to the end-user are (sad to say) more important than developer friendliness. If a technology delivers an amazing user experience or a marketing advantage, management will insist that it be used, even if it requires developers to be fitted with face-hugging alien brain-suckers.
What are you most interested in seeing out of CES?
My 3D-printed Cowboy Neal
sex slave replicant (looks so real!)
3D-printed ammo for my 3D-printed gun
i can never has too much fun.
19.2 K PPI display
my eyes are going bad but i still wanna play.
Scalp stimulation that'll grow me some hair
DNA enhancement for my stuff "down there".
Christmas buying season starting in June
with subliminal messages in every iTune.
AT&T going down the tubes
followed by TMobile and the rest of the jerks.
A mobile phone that doesn't crash & burn
An Android OS that actually works.
New Year's Resolution for 2015
and make a few bucks off the teeshirts and bumper stickers.
Scientists Have Finally Sampled the Most Abundant Material On Earth
Holy Cr@p! Are you implying that Buckaroo Banzai, my hero and spiritual guide, is not real?!!? Well there goes my religion.
Scientists Have Finally Sampled the Most Abundant Material On Earth
Ability To Consume Alcohol May Have Shaped Human Evolution
I drink waaaaaay more, therefore I am, like, snifficly more volved than you amateurs. errrrrp. MORE BEER HERE!!
In this year's US mid-term elections ...
Vote early, vote often.
NSW Police Named as FinFisher Spyware Users
Here?? At work?!?! Quick! TOR the pr0n! TrueCrypt the mp3s!
Ask Slashdot: Remote Server Support and Monitoring Solution?
Take a look at The Assimilation Project : What we do: Continually discover and monitor systems, services, switches and dependencies with very low human and network overhead.
I'd most like to (personally) explore:
yea, i know. i got no life.
US Intelligence Wants Tools To Tell: Who's the Smartest of Them All?
And idiot brains taste terrible. Brains of politicians are unedible. More's the pity, but it does explain a lot.
UK Team Claims Breakthrough In Universal Cancer Test
Blood samples are already a condition of coverage for some insurance. Now prospective employers have a reason for doing the same. Not that either would ever reject anyone on the grounds that they might have health issues. No, they were rejected because a better candidate was found. Nine months later. Question is, would they alert the applicant of the findings? If they did that and the person didn't know someone might put 2 and 2 together. Can you imagine being told by the HR email robot that you weren't selected for the job. Oh and by the way you've got cancer.
New Digital Currency Bases Value On Reputation
"Reputation" is a digital artifact that can be manufactured and manipulated. I'd hate to think my payckeck was dependent on my Slashdot Karma times number of Linked/In connections times Stackfault rep. Why not base it on something objective but equally irrelevant like height or nosehair count. Just not size of woowoo.
Unintended Consequences For Traffic Safety Feature
Now politically incorrect and unfashionable, holding people accountable for their decisions and making examples of those who chose the path of irresponsibility is ancient history. I expect that Crosswalk Countdown Incursion Syndrome to get a nod from the theraputic community and it's own pill* before Christmas.
Do not use in combination with other medications.
Do not take with alcohol, heroin, cocaine, or meth-amphetamines.
Known to cause heart failure, diabetes, ulcers and psychotic outbursts on a small percentage of the population.
Some people report small explosions in their spinal cords after taking.
I suffer from jet lag ...
If the Heisenberg compensators aren't aligned I get terrible Parallax Reality Syndrome (PRS). Best fix is a stiff PGGB (Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster)
Crows Complete Basic Aesop's Fable Task
"Whoosh" is the sound made by a joke flying right over someones head. Have you had your hearing checked recently?
Oppo's New Phone Hits 538 PPI
While a screen with decent resolution is nice, I really need (not want -- NEED) a phone with good vocal quality and zero latency on the voice side. Show me a phone, encoding scheme, network and carrier with _that_ and I'll sign a life membership.
I have googled my pants off for "cell phone voice latency" test results with no meaningful hits. The conspiracy-theorist part of me says the cell phone mfgrs & carriers all know how horrible they are when compared to landline so they've agreed to not test or not alert the consumer to this measurement.
Environmental Report Raises Pressure On Obama To Approve Keystone Pipeline
does that mean Health and Human Services knows best how to conduct a war in Iraq?
Press Used To Print Millions of US Banknotes Seized In Quebec
...indicted on a variety of charges, including possession of counterfeit money, making counterfeit money and uttering counterfeit money
Just saying the words "counterfeit money" is illegal?
How would you use science to innovate upon sports?
Quarterback gets a transparent eye shield that has graphical display capability. essentially a heads-up display. It's fed by a system that is monitoring & analyzing the position, velocity, acceleration and direction of everyone on the field. As the QB drops back to pass, the system calculates the position of all possible receivers and defenders, analyzes the rushers, determines how much time the QB will have given his current situation, rejects any receivers with a low probability of success and displays the most likely receivers along with the suggested ball trajectory to the QB, taking into account his head position. The QB sees graphical representations of the target receivers and defenders corrected for distance and any intervening players, along with a vector thats indicates "throw this direction this hard".
red sand diary
Assume it's possible (economically, politically, scientifically) to send a limited number of volunteers on a "one-way" scientific & exploration mission to another planet, like Mars.
- What would a "one-way" crew look like? All male? All female? A mixture? A mixed crew would certainly allow the story to get interesting.
- What is the composition of the "sending agency"? A single country? A consortium? A business or group of businesses? It might be more interesting if there was some capitalistic reason to make the trip, for example "We, the XYZ Corporation, claim Mars as our own", or perhaps the discovery (by an automated probe sent to Mars) of some extremely valuable substance. This, of course, would require a working probe (ahem), which seems to be beyond the reach of the best JPL scientists. And the existance of this Martian substance doesn't do the people of Earth any good unless the substance can be returned to Earth, which implies a way to return, which invalidates the entire "one-way" concept of the story. And the whole "rare substance" thing probably sounds too much like "Dune" ...
- What sacrifices have been made by the "sending agency" to make this trip possible? Any resentments there? Did they go with lowest bidder (guaranteed to build almost working components - use & enjoy!).
- What would be the motivation of the members? Greed? Scientific curiosity? Altruism? What if their families back on Earth were guaranteed a comfortable (or even opulent) existance for, let's say, 100 years?
- Are the crew members comfortable with the possibility that this may be a suicide mission? Anyone in denial about that?
- What would happen on the voyage there? Boredom? Danger? Sickness? Sex?
- What if, during the voyage, one of the crew has a spiritual or religious experience/awakening, and decides that suicide, or even the possibility of suicide, is not compatable with their new belief system? The person would demand to be rescued, and the sending agency would counter with "you signed this contract, bucko". This would obviously lead to anger and depression. Anything else? Revolt? Sabotage? Threatening the mission or other crew members ? Would their family back on Earth play a part, perhaps as hostages? This person would eventually be forced to settle down and accept their fate, because their anger is what's going to fuel their survival once on Mars.
- On Mars, what are the difficulties with the necessities (food, water, shelter)? Can any of these be provided by the planet? Do we want any mysteries, like the discovery of some object which is obviously artifically created? How about life-saving conditions like
sub-surface water? Would the person who finds it share it with the others?
- Is this sounding a bit too much like "Contact" or "Robinson Crusoe on Mars"?? Damn. I hate it when that happens.