Announcing: Slashdot Deals - Explore geek apps, games, gadgets and more. (what is this?)

Thank you!

We are sorry to see you leave - Beta is different and we value the time you took to try it out. Before you decide to go, please take a look at some value-adds for Beta and learn more about it. Thank you for reading Slashdot, and for making the site better!



How Do You Backup 20TB of Data?

sjwoo $825 (983 comments)

4TB drives sell for $165 right now on Newegg. So five of those would cost $825. Your friend could stick them all into a large PC with multiple bays and create an enormous RAID-0 array of 20TB. Then he could use FreeFileSync to copy those files. Or he could set up another NAS with those 5 4TB drives and just do a copy/sync. It'd take days for the initial load, but it would be backed up. The problem with having that much data on CrashPlan (also my cloud backup of choice) is that it would take so long to restore it -- too long, I'd think. You'd blow all sorts of bandwidth limit to do so. And you can't use their restore-to-door plan for backups greater than 3.5TB. Until we have Google Fiber running everywhere, bandwidth just doesn't make it feasible to push all that data to the cloud.

about 10 months ago

A Humanoid Robot Named "Baxter" Could Revive US Manufacturing

sjwoo Robotic Freedom, by Marshall Brain (414 comments)

Check out Marshall Brain's Robotic Freedom. He addresses a lot of the discussions we've been having here. A good snippet:

Capitalism Supersized

The following suggestion at first seems impractical because it is so simple: What if we, as a society, simply give consumers money to spend in the economy? In other words: What if the way to achieve the strongest possible economy is to give every citizen more money to spend? For example, what if we gave every citizen of the United States $25,000 to spend? $25,000 sounds impossible the first time you hear it, but consider the possibility.

Would this simple step -- giving money to every consumer -- accomplish the five economic goals set forth in the previous section? Yes. It would be a huge boost to the American economy:

* The economy would be strong because of all of the consumer spending.

* The economy would be stable because income (and therefore spending) would be guaranteed.

* With $25,000 per year to spend, innovators would no longer be forced to work -- they could focus their energy on innovation, living off of the $25K per year they receive. Inventors would have time to invent, writers to write, entrepreneurs to breed new companies, etc. They could devote all of their time to innovation. There would be billions of dollars for people to invest, especially in their own businesses. And investors would have a stable marketplace into which to introduce new products.

Most importantly, it would create a nation where the citizens are truly free. If every person had $25,000 per year in today's dollars to spend, they would be able to live their lives even if they lost their jobs. If robots took their jobs it would not be catastrophic. People would be able to weather the robotic takeover, retrain and move into new careers.

about 2 years ago

Commodore 64 Still Beloved After All These Years

sjwoo Epyx FastLoad! (463 comments)

I remember the slow 1541 disk drive, but folks, don't forget -- Epyx's FastLoad cartridge solved 90% of these problems. And for the remaining 10%, they had their own fast-loading software.

And if you got your software cracked, which was probably like 99% of the people out there, they all came with the cracking crew's fast loader...

Anybody remember SYS64738? Gotta love it.

more than 7 years ago



Star Trek Through the Years

sjwoo sjwoo writes  |  more than 5 years ago

sjwoo writes "

For the last two weeks, I had intended to write up a little review of the new Star Trek film, but then I got thinking about what this franchise has meant to me. Don't worry — I'm not some loon who knows the stardate of when Kirk took his first swig of Romulan Ale, and I certainly can't translate Shakespeare into Klingon. However, I'm not a casual fan, either. I've seen enough Star Trek to know what the prime directive means or that Uhura's name comes from the Swahili word for freedom.

A personal history piece on Star Trek, complete with my term paper circa 1993."
Link to Original Source


sjwoo has no journal entries.

Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?