top High Speed Evolution
This selection is only within existing genetic variation. Evolution requires mutation as well. As commented elsewhere, if you sterilize everyone with black hear, everyone will be blond in a generation. That is not evolution.
top Can You Tell the Difference? 4K Galaxy Note 3 vs. Canon 5D Mark III Video
I respectfully disagree on all your points
- Small pixels reduce sensitivity, not dynamic rage, but the whole point with the isocell sensor is to increase sensitivity in a small pixel. Because photons are discrete, your dynamic range can be no better than 10*log(photon count/pixel). To get 10 bit dynamic range you need 10e3 photons/pixel. - The megapixel game is not meaningless. I use a large printer, and with a 25Mpix sensor, the result is a lot better than with a 10Mpix sensor. The print actually has a resolution of 12 000 Mpix!
The quantum efficiency, QE, of most backlit sensors ranging from the best DSLR to the Samsung is all around 10%. (Human eye and astronomical cameras can be up to 100% i.e. detect single photon.)
10% QE is about 5 picoLumens per pixel sensitivity, and here is where the sensitivity comes in. 1 lux= 1 EV = 1 lumens/m2 = a bit more than bright moonlight. Assume you have an f1 lens. now you will need 5 nanoLumens/pix for 10bit DR.
A 7mm lens will give you 3.8E15 photons/s, so each of the 16Mpix will get 2.38E8 photons, or 2.38E7 LSB. This should equal 24bit dynamic range. This is with a lot of generous assumptions like an f1 lens, no statistical noise, no thermal noise etc, but still enough photons to give good dynamic range in the darker parts of a photo.
This should give some insight into some of the fundamental limits.
top Can You Buy a License To Speed In California?
Here in Germany, I can just use my driver license, and pay no bribes. When you enter the freeway, it is a nice sign with only 3 diagonal gray bars. The sign means "no rules". I go 160mph every day.
top Synthetic Chromosomes Successfully Integrated Into Brewer's Yeast
Now life can be created in minutes.
You can download YADA from sourceforge.net. The GUI interface allows you to drag an drop and build for example luminescent marijuana plant that also contain caffeine.
top How Satellite Company Inmarsat Tracked Down MH370
Given all the information, here is the best explanation of what happened:
1. The airplane hits meteorite or some other foreign object causing immediate decompression and damage in the cockpit. 2. The pilots have a few minutes to dive down to thicker atmosphere before the die due to lack of oxygen. 3. They dive the airplane down to be able to breathe. 4. At the same time, able to set the autopilot to fly back to land at a low altitude. 5. They both expire, and the airplane continues to fly on autopilot. 6. As they fly the wrong way, passengers and crew try to get into the cockpit to take over and land the plane. 7. Nobody can break into the cockpit, and after 7 hours the fuel is used up, and the plane dives into the drink.
top George Zimmerman Acquitted In Death of Trayvon Martin
As a former military police officer and current concealed weapons licensee, I agree with much of this but dont shoot to kill. Shoot to stop the threat. Never fire a warning shot. Dont shoot in the leg to just injure.
top Soyuz Breaks Speed Record To ISS
Fapur dsm sdfh osdf ods. Sfeif sadf ase wlkwe. Jzik fiik saddfp ased asdff.
Guzik asda wep cml seoø dsapo åsdfø åøæd ådæs åwæåød æåøæå seåfæ Øds,Ååsdfsa adfæø dfwf dflå æø sdi about a year and a half ago
top UK Court Orders Block of Three Torrent Sites
My first response is "Must check out those sites".
about a year and a half ago
top Why Can't Industry Design an Affordable Hearing Aid?
I am actually pretty cheap. Good pilots headsets are expensive, but try a pair of regular digital active noise cancellation headsets next time you save $$$ by flying in the back of the cabin. Just putting them on even with no signal in removes all the ambient noise. The difference is heavenly, and if you try it once, you will never go back. If you do not understand what active noise cancellation read
top Why Can't Industry Design an Affordable Hearing Aid?
You can get cheap hearing aids for next to nothing. A simple amplifier. If your hearing is damaged to a varying degree at different frequencies, and you want to be able to hear conversations, a better device will be custom made to remap the relevant audio to the right frequencies. This requires customization to each user and advanced digital signal processing. To select human voice, and filter away unwanted noise is also a demanding DSP task.
A good headset for music easily costs $500, and my sennheiser pilot headset costs easily $1000. and that is not customized to me.
top Physicists Propose "Perpetual Motion" Time Crystals
Cargo cult science
top Physicists Propose "Perpetual Motion" Time Crystals
I started reading and just stopped after the first paragraph:
"Spontaneous symmetry breaking is ubiquitous in nature. It occurs when the ground state (classically, the lowest energy state) of a system is less symmetrical than the equations governing the system. Examples in which the symmetry is broken in excited states are common—one just needs to think of Kepler’s elliptical orbits, which break the spherical symmetry of the gravitational force"
Can someone educate me, as this appears to be cargo science:
- How can an "energy state be less symmetrical then the equation for the system". Seems wrong semantically, mathematically and physically? - How can on state that "elliptical orbits break the spherical symmetry of the gravitational force". How can a simple principle be misunderstood with such pompous nonsense? - and is the ground state *not* the lowest enerygy state in quantum mechanics as implied in first sentence?
It only gets worse from there.
top The Tech Behind Felix Baumgartner's Stratospheric Skydive
Hydrogen would have gotten him a lot higher as the molecular weight is only 1/2 of Helium. Also, it would not have wasted a precious finite resource for little gain.
top Software Emulates Organism's Entire Lifespan
So far it is more of an assembler, but it includes all the "header files" for basic life functions like cell_wall.h, DNA_replication.h, ribosome.h, etc. Each of the header files describes the DNA code for all the needed proteins with all the switches needed.
It is called YADA.jar (Yet Another DNA Assembler)
Right now, the "printer" to get a real organism is cumbersome, but you can run the whole life form as a simulation. If you are Google, you may even grow real humans, and give them all kinds of fun functionality.
top Warner Bros: New Program To Digitize Your DVDs
My kids have barely seen a DVD, and when I tell them how to play them: (1) go over to bookshelf, and (2) pick a DVD clamshell, then (3) insert into.... they have already lost interest, and are watching the same show on the PC from some preripped source (maybe hulu or whatnot)
Ripping is even more involved, and would likely not happen, and I agree, Rather than ripping, we usually just find a ripped version to download. It usually starts playing in seconds, and is downloaded in minutes. We have a large collection of DVDs, probably over 1000, and they have not been touched for a long time. The DVD player is stored away in closet, and replaced with a PC (the PC was cheaper than the 1080p upconverter)
top Adafruit's Open-source Wearable Platform, Flora
I will qualify this. If you are a programmer used to an IDE, Arduino sucks. It wes made to allow painters, breadmakers and other artists to make embedded elements, and maybe for a non-programmer, it may be the only (and best) thing out there.
I tried this and dropped it fast. Instead I ended up using Code Composer Studio. It works like a charm for all TI's boards. Try out the 430 development system on sale for $4.30. Great IDE with in circuit debugging and all the other features you are used to, and you are up and running in no time.
Android is also a good choice, powerful, but a little different if you are used to C/C++ insted of Java. Not only for phones but a lot of other embedded devices as well.
BTW, You can get used Samsung Galaxy with a new battery for $100. It is an incredible embedded device, and if you want buy an Arduino device with even a small part of the features, you will pay many times this.
!GHz ARM, 16BG flash, dilsplay,WiFi, Cameras, Graphics engine, xyz accelerometers, maybe gyros. If you need USB master you have to get android 4.0 based device.
top Australian Gov't To Streamline Anti-Piracy Lawsuit Process
The internet is basically a copy machine. I realized this writing an IP stack. It might as well be called the interCopy or the big copy. This word may also make it clear for the distributor that if you put your stuff in the interCopy, it will be copied. That is what the interCopy does. If you do not want your stuff copied, just don't put it in the interCopy.
top Ask Slashdot: 802.11n Bake-Off Test Plans?
The (not so big) secret is that most WiFi AP rolls over with 8 or so clients. Only a few manufacturers themselves test their products beyond that, and those work all the way to over 100.
The company selling the test equipment you need is called http://veriwave.com./ You can buy the equipment from them and test all the vendors, or even better, just ask them.
They do of course know, since that is how they test their own test equipment. Problem is that they can/will not tell you because then 1. you would not need to buy their product, and 2. AP mfg would fix their products, and Veriwave would not have a market for their products.
Maybe just do some social hacking to get it out of them.
top Eben Upton Talks About the Raspberry Pi USB Computer
The board is dominated by the connectors. It looks like 80% of realestate is USB, HDMI etc. They should at least go with small connectors for these features. There are common and small connectors and cables available.
top Ask Slashdot: Overcoming Convention Hall Wi-Fi Interference?
I wrote code for the 802.11b stack, and have gotten a lot of feedback from the test team as well, and here is my 2c:
1. Stacks should handle at least 127 radios on one channel, but most implementations crash with as few as 8 radios alive. Make sure you use a stack that handles many radios. Test your router and your gear (netgear and D-link passed, but check with your current router anyway) 2. Nearby channels appear as noise. If you have many TX on nearby channels, you may not have enough signal/noise ratio. Make sure all gear is MI-MO, and maybe add directed antennas to your router that keep your signal strong in your area. 3. Use channel 14 (you may want to check legality of this in your area) Standard US HW is limited in FW to use ch1-11. Ch 12,13 and 14 is all in virgin territory, and you would be alone at those frequencies, unless of course, you traveled to Spain or Japan or other where you this would look different.
top Friends help friends to post
1. We add each other as friends
2. Preference: turn on e-mail notify on friends Journal entry 3. Submit a story, make a journal entry of it.
4. All my friends will review your story, and mod it up in the Firehose.
5. Your story is front page.