Welcome to the Slashdot Beta site -- learn more here. Use the link in the footer or click here to return to the Classic version of Slashdot.

Thank you!

Before you choose to head back to the Classic look of the site, we'd appreciate it if you share your thoughts on the Beta; your feedback is what drives our ongoing development.

Beta is different and we value you taking the time to try it out. Please take a look at the changes we've made in Beta and  learn more about it. Thanks for reading, and for making the site better!



Telecommute Tax Relief Gathers Steam

wyatt27 State Tax Refund Tax (339 comments)

You may be misreading your weekly pay stub.

The state tax refund is treated as "additional" income because it wasn't taxed to begin with. It's withheld from your net paycheck and, therefore, not taxed as income at that time. When you get it back via refund, it goes back in the "taxable income" column and is then taxed - after the fact.

The feds do the same thing, in case you haven't noticed. You're supposed to declare any state tax refunds on your federal return.

In all cases, the one-year-free-loan is accurate, though. And you can adjust your W-4 to deal with that (declare more 'dependents'). Instead of overpaying, just resign yourself to paying at the end of the year, but in which case you get to keep more of your earnings.

more than 8 years ago


wyatt27 hasn't submitted any stories.


wyatt27 has no journal entries.

Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?