"The issue is that users didn't want to learn a new interface"
No. My issues with the ribbon are:
- Keyboard shortcuts?
- "Responsive" design moves the icons around as you're using the product... e.g., shrink the window to work on two docs side-by-side
- Cryptic icons require hovering over or clicking on to figure out what they do, icons change between versions of course
- Screen real-estate wasted displaying 80% of features I rarely or never used
- Features given prominence which sabotage the use of styles and screw up documents
- They removed the menus (In Windows)