i went the other way. after years of struggling with compatibility of printer/scanner drivers for linux (canon, epson, kodak, samsung, xerox), reduced feature sets (on linux) and fiddling with drying ink cartridges, i bought a semi-expensive HP LaserJet and never looked back. the thing is like a tank.
* works over network, INCLUDING scanning
* under linux, it supports everything to the same extent as it does under windows AND some features are even better
* i can print from anywhere in the world by just emailing the document to HP
* if i don't print anything for 2 months, i don't have to deal with dried ink cartridges
* when there was a bug in the driver (binary blob was incompatible with the open driver shipped with ubuntu), i emailed HP and within 2 days they updated the blob the driver downloads